AMD + PhysX?

Wolfmother

n00b
OK. SO I know a few people who dual weild. I have tried it myself. That was 2009. Does anyone know if it is improved since then? Also worth doing still? Thanks for your repspoince

I tried it for Borderlands 2 with no real luck. Was going to go back and try again, but ended up selling the physx card.

Physx isn't really worth it anyway. I do not miss it at all because most games don't use it.

Physx isn't really worth it anyway. I do not miss it at all because most games don't use it.

Personally I think it falls in the category of "cool if implemented"

Is it a game changer? No, not hardly. Does it improve gameplay? Nope.

But you can take PhysX away from Batman and Borderlands when you pry it from my cold dead hands.

I've done it before kicks, but it's pretty pointless IMO.

I've done it before kicks, but it's pretty pointless IMO.

If Nvidia made it possible with a separate app that allowed the use of the Nvidia cards for physx along with AMD cards for video, then I would do it.

If Nvidia made it possible with a separate app that allowed the use of the Nvidia cards for physx along with AMD cards for video, then I would do it.

I honestly can't think of a business reason for NVidia not to do this... unless they fear scavenging sales of higher-end cards? Based on the current trend, those aren't likely to be NVidia users anyway... so they could possibly tie in some add-on sales for older cards for the folks who want to try PhysX.

I had a setup way back when with a 5870 and an 8600GT just so I could try Batman: AA.

You aren't missing much, go watch some youtube videos if you want to see what it does, or enable it in whatever game, it still works in "software mode" which is a complete farce, it's threaded but only uses 10% of the available CPU speed and kills your framerate. There are better physics engines out there I have no idea why game makers insist on using it.

The physics engine in Ghost Busters was awesome, too bad the game sucked.

I have no idea why game makers insist on using it.

Pretty sure the devs who use physx are sponsored/payed to do so. Curious if there are any titles that use physx which are not sponsored. Still it's academic at this point I guess.

I think something like OpenCL should be used so that all the different card makers can take advantage of it.

physx boo, it did make me get nvidia cards for the first time. Made me realize these are some powerful cards but, i guess you can call me a amd fanboy because within a year i went right back to amd, because you can get a more powerful 2 card setup for cheaper. but i do have to say 6800 card was no joke in that generation. Best card ever made. Cant wait to get back to those days again.

Kotaku mentioned a hack for BL2 that allowed AMD cards to use physx. It's always been my understanding that it's actually a CPU action only enabled using Nvidia gpu's.

I think something like OpenCL should be used so that all the different card makers can take advantage of it.

Hopefully the open-source Bullet 3.X physics engine (uses GPU via OpenCL) has improved significantly compared to earlier releases.

Hi,

I got it going on my 290X using a GTS 450 as a physx processor. Running Metro Last Light at 1920X1080 with High settings and tessellation and 2X SSAO and Physx. Getting 50-70 fps on my old aging 920 D0 processor at 3.8 Ghz overclock. Theres a guide on NGHQ somewhere. Also few years back I had Borderlands 2 Hybridized. Its very worth it if you know what your doing and follow the instructions to the letter.

AMD cards aren't built for that feature specifically, but for most PhysX processing you can enable it on your CPU. If you're playing a game that doesn't fully utilize all of your CPU's cores or if you have a Hyper-Threaded enabled CPU, you can usually get pretty good framerates. I think you have to enable different settings on a case-by-case basis though, although I might be mistaken.

What would probably be the minimum NVidia card to use as PhysX processor? I got an old 8800gts 320mb laying around, would use it conjunction with incoming r9 290 if it would do some good.

What would probably be the minimum NVidia card to use as PhysX processor? I got an old 8800gts 320mb laying around, would use it conjunction with incoming r9 290 if it would do some good.

I would recommend at least a 640 gt or gts. You should go with a card that has 50% of the performance of your Gfx card. On my 450 gts and 290x combo playing Metro LL my 450gts loaded up to almost 70 % utilization in the fire scene of metro. Usually averages about 30 %. So you need a decent card. The 8800 is ancient.

Back