R9 290x UEFI Blank Screen nonsense

Adidas4275

Supreme [H]ardness
Just wanted to vent about how challenging it is to get a R9 290x to work correctly with a UEFI bios :(

if you use 3 monitors it isnt going to display on all 3, nor will it display on the 1 you have as the primary (DVI-D connected to the PCB).....

plus it might work on the Asus Ez Bios page but then black screen when you go to the advanced...

oh and by the way, if you dont have another card to flash to the newest Bios on your motherboard you may never be able to even see the Bios... :confused::confused::confused:

oh yeah and there is a little dip switch (Tri-x) that is suppose to enable UEFI compatibility.... but how do you know which position is which.... and then.... neither work the way you want anyways..

so your left with unplugging 2 monitors if you want to get the center monitor to display the bios/boot menu :rolleyes:

Perhaps there is an easy fix that I am just ignorant to, but man that was a PITA to toubleshoot this evening....

GPU is Sapphire Tri-x R9 290x

Last edited:
oh yeah and there is a little dip switch (Tri-x) that is suppose to enable UEFI compatibility.... but how do you know which position is which.... and then.... neither work the way you want anyways..

The default position is Off, for legacy mode.

Pushing the button will make it light up blue, when it is lit up UEFI mode is on.

Blue = UEFI
No lights = Legacy mode

and it is a button, not a dip switch

.... hmm on my Tri-x there is a switch on the side.... are you saying there is a button? okay I am going looking

thanks

Edit: nvm. It's too early for troubleshooting. zzz

but if you need another card to flash something with, use your onboard video.

Last edited:
LGA2011 = no onboard graphics, i have a card and it is "working" it just that no one talks about the quirks of UEFI bios and GPUs...

like how my main monitor is black in the bios but the ones hooked up with DP are working

anyways more of a vent than asking for help.

thanks guys

I thought that the only way to get a new videocard UEFI bios was by registering on the Sapphire forums and asking for one.

Last edited:
Ok, I have to ask. Is the problem I posted about here the same or similar issue with the UEFI Bios?

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1828015&highlight=sapphire+r9+270

When researching my problem I've read a number of instances where people don't get a signal but none mentioned the shutdown/reboot cycle. I contacted Gigabyte and they suggested I change the PCI Device ROM Priority from UEFI opROM to Legacy opROM but that did nothing. I'm more confused than ever.

Ok, I have to ask. Is the problem I posted about here the same or similar issue with the UEFI Bios?

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1828015&highlight=sapphire+r9+270

When researching my problem I've read a number of instances where people don't get a signal but none mentioned the shutdown/reboot cycle. I contacted Gigabyte and they suggested I change the PCI Device ROM Priority from UEFI opROM to Legacy opROM but that did nothing. I'm more confused than ever.

I've had an AMD tech tell me they recommended legacy BIOS for r9 series cards.

I doubt your VBIOS on the card is the problem. Sounds like PCIE slot is faulty--since I hate to do a teardown unless I have to, I'd flash the videocard's BIOS in DOS to the legacy version and make sure it was the BIOS causing the problem first. Using UEFI compatible vbios seems... totally unnecessary to me, but I'm just missing something probably. I don't even get much slower boot times using CSM.

Just to update, in my case it turns out it was a defective card. I replaced it with an Asus R9 270 and so far all is fine.

that is good to know, as far as I can tell my card works "fine" just something strange with how the 290x handles UEFI bios and multiple monitors....... but I guess I wouldnt know since I dont have another 290x

Back