Help In Using Powered x16 Riser Cables

MaddMutt

n00b
I posted a question in another thread about using Powered Riser Cables. This was answered very quickly :cool:
The Problem I have now, from reading different sources, is that I should be using the Molex Connector on the riser cable.
When I hook up the power supplies to the Molex Connecter on the riser cable, using multiple PSU's. I make sure that the PSU that is giving the extra power, is also the same one plugged into the molex.
I don't have to turn on each PSU that is attached, JUST turning on one PSU will auto start the other 2, except for the Main PSU.
Is this normal???????
Do I have bad designed cables?????

Thank Your For Time
In reading And Replying

@pheonix991

In a simpler explanation :

Motherboard powered by a Antec 650
GPU A & B is powered by a Corsair RM850
GPU C is powered by a Corsair TX750
GPU D is powered by a Ultra 650
GPU A C D are hooked up to Powered Risers.

When I turn on any one of the (3) PSUs that are dedicated to powering the GPU, it also turns on the other (2) PSUs. If I turn on the PSU connected to GPU C, the PSU's for GPU A&B and the PSU for GPU D also turn on.
Have I got something miss wired?????
I know that this situation is not right.

Well I just use a 990-FXA-GD65 with a Coolmaster Silent pro M2 1500W and four R920.

-> and no powered risers.

Last edited:
@pheonix991 : I'm slowly working on that as I get the money.

@DooLocsta & Parja : The reason that I have 4 PSU's powering the GPU's, is that they do not have the AMPS, I run all 4 280x's at MAX OC, I searched the web for reviews on each card, to find out what their max power draw was. I used this website : supercircuits.com/resources/tools/volts-watts-amps-converter - to get the information needed.

From several review sites, they list the following info after Max OC :
Sapphire 280x Vapor-X Running @ 1160 Core (Mine is 1150) and 1600 Memory will pull 466 Watts. Using the web site to convert W to A used, was 38.87 A

@DooLocsta & Parja : The reason that I have 4 PSU's powering the GPU's, is that they do not have the AMPS, I run all 4 280x's at MAX OC, I searched the web for reviews on each card, to find out what their max power draw was. I used this website : supercircuits.com/resources/tools/volts-watts-amps-converter - to get the information needed.

Sapphire 280x Vapor-X Running @ 1160 Core (Mine is 1150) and 1600 Memory will pull 466 Watts. Using the web site to convert W to A used, was 38.87 A

You're not going to be pulling anything close to 466 watts mining with a 280x. And I hope for your sake you're mining lower power algorithms like x11, otherwise you're wasting profit and power mining Scrypt coins. I'm barely pulling 250 watts with a 290x at 5.5mh/s on x11.

I'm using the GPU's for Folding at Home.

I was diagnosed with Leukemia, 2 years ago, this month.

You're not going to be pulling anything close to 466 watts mining with a 280x. And I hope for your sake you're mining lower power algorithms like x11, otherwise you're wasting profit and power mining Scrypt coins. I'm barely pulling 250 watts with a 290x at 5.5mh/s on x11.

This.

Oh, you silly goof. A 280X, even overclocked, is MAYBE going to draw 300W while mining/Folding. Trust us, you're fine with just the two Corsair PSUs. If you don't believe it, get a Kill-A-Watt.

I'm using the GPU's for Folding at Home.

Yeesh, after all the crap with the Pande group, I'd be hard pressed to ever Fold again. There are so many more deserving projects than F@H.

I was diagnosed with Leukemia, 2 years ago, this month.

Sorry to hear that. Hopefully things are going well and will continue to go well with your treatment!

Oh, you silly goof. A 280X, even overclocked, is MAYBE going to draw 300W while mining/Folding. Trust us, you're fine with just the two Corsair PSUs. If you don't believe it, get a Kill-A-Watt.
I have bought a EVGA G2 1300w PSU for the setup. I have to use the Corsair RM850 also because the EVGA psu ran out of vga slots:(

Yeesh, after all the crap with the Pande group, I'd be hard pressed to ever Fold again. There are so many more deserving projects than F@H.
What happened???? Would love to read about it.

Sorry to hear that. Hopefully things are going well and will continue to go well with your treatment!
Thank You:cool:
I'm taking it day by day. When I have a good day, work around the house and play with my computers, I'm in bed for the next 2-3 days.
Now that I'm having to spend more time stuck in the bedroom, I'm working on trying to sell FAH-Server-1. Will replace it with a Media PC so that I can play my stored movies and songs.:D Not sure how much to ask for it though.....$400

Back