Buying a ~$2000 Mobile Workstation --- Need Advice

mrtheshaggy

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm buying a mobile workstation for my job. I run SolidWorks and various simulation programs. Would really like advice / opinions from people who have experience working with this type of equipment.

- Lenovo, HP, Dell, or other?
- Can laptops use ECC?

My requirements:
- 15" (I will use this on a plane quit a bit ... 17" doesn't fit)
- 1920x1080 or better resolution (anti-glare)
- I will upgrade to 16+ GB of memory if it doesn't come with it
- I will upgrade storage to a Samsung EVO
- Workstation graphics, but they doesn't need to be anything remarkable for what I do
- Windows 7

Anything you can offer would be appreciated! thanks!

I run a crap-ton of development software and got myself this unit (note that 'zon's specs say it's 1366x768 but it's actually a 1920 display), pulled the 1TB conventional drive, dropped in a 512GB SSD and 16GB of 1.35v DIMMs and it's been a dream. I think it ran me about $1600 total for the machine + upgrades. However, I didn't get it expressly for work. I game a little on it and it's where I do my school-work for the most part.

If the machine is specifically for work (particularly if work is subsidizing it all) I'd say you'd be doing yourself a service by getting a Dell Precision Mobile Workstation. It's been my experience that the Precision units are built well, they're just heavy. Dell's warranty for business machines tends to be good.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I run a crap-ton of development software and got myself this unit (note that 'zon's specs say it's 1366x768 but it's actually a 1920 display), pulled the 1TB conventional drive, dropped in a 512GB SSD and 16GB of 1.35v DIMMs and it's been a dream. I think it ran me about $1600 total for the machine + upgrades. However, I didn't get it expressly for work. I game a little on it and it's where I do my school-work for the most part.

If the machine is specifically for work (particularly if work is subsidizing it all) I'd say you'd be doing yourself a service by getting a Dell Precision Mobile Workstation. It's been my experience that the Precision units are built well, they're just heavy. Dell's warranty for business machines tends to be good.

I've been hearing that about Dell. My experience with their personal laptops is HORRIBLE. Though I know the divisions are completely unrelated.

This simulation software maxes out everything ... memory and CPU. So I know the workstations are designed to deal with the heat.

This is a 100% work laptop. I won't be playing games on it.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I've been hearing that about Dell. My experience with their personal laptops is HORRIBLE. Though I know the divisions are completely unrelated.

This simulation software maxes out everything ... memory and CPU. So I know the workstations are designed to deal with the heat.

This is a 100% work laptop. I won't be playing games on it.

You couldn't give me a Dell Inspiron for free and expect me to use it. They're consumer-grade trash-boxes. However, I've worked on and in Dell's business-class machines like the Latitudes and Precision machines for years across several jobs and outside of some issues with specific series, they've always been pleasant. Granted, that's just my anecdotal experience! Take it for what it's worth ;)

You couldn't give me a Dell Inspiron for free and expect me to use it. They're consumer-grade trash-boxes. However, I've worked on and in Dell's business-class machines like the Latitudes and Precision machines for years across several jobs and outside of some issues with specific series, they've always been pleasant. Granted, that's just my anecdotal experience! Take it for what it's worth ;)

My old Dell (A P4C machine) laptop was BULLETPROOF. It still works to this day despite spending a year in Iraq. Amazing machine. I'm assuming their business notebooks maintained that quality while their personal notebooks were turned into piles of shit.

So I'll go browse through their website and see what I can get. Or look through Amazon and see what pre-configured deals there are.

I have a Lenovo for my job (i7, 16GB, Quattro card, SSD) and it's a good machine. I also have an older Elitebook for my work on the side and it's a freakin' TANK. Super solid construction (Mil-spec), I recommend them to all my friends going to austere locations.

While I've not tested these in "extreme" conditions or such, I do have a few thoughts.

1. Dont buy an HP. From my personal experience, the built-quality is very low and parts tend to fail often. (though I might just have been dealing with a lemon in the parts department)

2. Dell notebooks (particularly the latitude series) are well-built and have a lot of options (just dont plan to upgrade at a later time unless it's the HDD or optical drive - I've played hell finding RAM that works and you do NOT want to try to install a bezel-mounted webcam yourself) These also seem to often have some HUGE battery upgrade options.

3. Lenovo is a great deal for power but the build quality is meh (nothing's ever broken on mine, but the plastic bends and creaks). I'd recommend it over an HP but if you have the money I'd say go for a dell instead. (Also, at least with mine, when you do anything intensive the fans are LOUD - though good headphones can solve this easily)

Dell seems like the pick here. I'd be inclined to the Precision M3800 because of portability.

That said, I wish Windows PC makers didn't stratify things like they do. You either buy an expensive workstation-grade machine and get the build quality and service that every computer should always have, or you buy a (frequently, not always) flimsy machine with support that makes you regret your purchase.

Thanks for the advice. I'm going with a Dell M4800. They have a pre-built one that has most of what I need for a good price. Seems to be the highest quality of the brands based on what everyone is saying.

That would have been my suggestion as well.

I've had Thinkpad W, EliteBook W, and Precisions.

In the old days (Core 2 Duo), I'd have said Thinkpad without a hesitation, but I've not been happy with their newer lines, starting with the W510.

I had an EliteBook 8440W and 8560W, and loved them both. I also had an outlet Precision M4700 earlier this year thanks to a great deal on the outlet. I think I actually preferred the M4700 to the 8560W in everything but the screen (I shelled out for the DreamView on the 8560W before IPS was as available as it is now), but it was close. In the end, the lack of whitelisting on Dells for parts would win me over, as while their Broadcom card sucks, it was trivial for me to throw in an intel AGN WiFi card. HP, I'd have to jump through their whitelisting hoops.

DO NOT get the new M series Precision work stations. Apparently M4600/6600 and M4700/6700 were good machines, so I ordered the M4800 at work, what a POS after 2 months of back and forth Dell took it back.

I would recommend Lenovo W series. They have been very solid for the time that I got to use them. Unfortunately for gov work you can't use a laptop which is manufactured by a company that is owned by the Chinese gov. :)

On this thread
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1040993726#post1040993726

I listed many reasons why I would never use Dell anymore. It is worth a look before you get the M4800.

For information sake my dEll M4800 was the 4930MX, 32 gigs of Ram, Dual 512 SSD's ( one mini card) Raid 0, QHD+ High res screen and Nvidia K2100. Basically the most expensive M4800 you can build.

The M4800 is a good choice. I work with one and I can say these are good solid workstations. They are no lightweights though and the PSU just under half a brick in thickness. So get a good bag to lug it around ;)

Edit: apparently experiences can vary lol

The M4800 is a good choice. I work with one and I can say these are good solid workstations. They are no lightweights though and the PSU just under half a brick in thickness. So get a good bag to lug it around ;)

Edit: apparently experiences can vary lol

If I ever had to get a Dell, I would probably only consider the M3800, that machine seems like they finally tried to innovate a bit and move away from the massive brick with cheap components, bad battery life and extra small trackpad mentality.

Another Caution, if you get the M4800 and get the QHD+ high res screen, you cannot use the internal graphics switching function ( it is not wired) and have to use the dedicated video card 24/7 battery or plugged in, which is the biggest reason why my laptop could not break the 4 hour mark on the battery.

Miracoulosly same exact screen upgrade on the M3800 DOES allow you to us the internal graphics function (wired properly) although the internal graphics card and dedicated one are both much slower than M4800's, they also give you the screen nice and glossy, they also make the trackpad bigger and more slippery.

Overall, it is the clear winner IMO.

Reviews over at NotebookCheck for both the M3800 and the M4800. Battery life still looks pretty rough on the M3800 for it being more of an "ultrabook style" workstation.

If I ever had to get a Dell, I would probably only consider the M3800, that machine seems like they finally tried to innovate a bit and move away from the massive brick with cheap components, bad battery life and extra small trackpad mentality.

Another Caution, if you get the M4800 and get the QHD+ high res screen, you cannot use the internal graphics switching function ( it is not wired) and have to use the dedicated video card 24/7 battery or plugged in, which is the biggest reason why my laptop could not break the 4 hour mark on the battery.

Miracoulosly same exact screen upgrade on the M3800 DOES allow you to us the internal graphics function (wired properly) although the internal graphics card and dedicated one are both much slower than M4800's, they also give you the screen nice and glossy, they also make the trackpad bigger and more slippery.

Overall, it is the clear winner IMO.

Depends on use really, I much prefer to work with matte screens. The M3800 is a nice machine, also looks great on a boardroom table I have to say. I needed more muscle though, again depends on what you need.

My office is full of Lenovo W530s and a lot of people are moving to Retina Macbook Pros + Windows VMs despite the fact that some key software we make (and use) is Windows only. At my office it's either Lenovo or Apple.

Extremely glitchy graphics switching, stability problems, freezes, excessive battery drain when the laptop is sleeping, a stupidly massive power brick - they are just some of the reasons the W530 is disliked. Considering it's Lenovo's flagship product, it's really not a great laptop.

This is not to mention my laptop came with faulty USB 3.0 ports (requiring MB to be replaced), the guy next to me got his laptop with a cracked CPU fan, the person next to him needed the motherboard to be replaced, but it took months for it to be in stock. We got our laptops at different times so it isn't a batch issue.

A lot of people (me included) in the office travel quite a bit so the power brick (almost the size of a real brick) is a real killer.

If the W540 is better maybe it's worth it. But based on the W540 reviews, it seems like Lenovo is turning their "workstation" laptop into just another consumer level machine with the signature Thinkpad exterior.

People talk about "next day on-site" services as a plus point for Lenovo vs Apple, but they've never dealt with Lenovo not having replacement parts in stock and the customer getting stuck with no laptop. At least Apple would probably just give you a new laptop and take responsibility for their supply issues.

Honestly, if Apple put 32gb of RAM in their 15 rMBP I'd say goodbye to my W530 the same day.

Back