Gigabyte GA-X79-UP4 build

I parted out my last build which consisted of an Intel 980X processor and Asus Rampage III Formula motherboard using the same case as this build, the optical drives, the sound card, and TV card. I felt it was time to upgrade considering the Rampage III Formula motherboard lacked the bios feature to disable boot from USB, which left me with disabling legacy USB as instructed by Asus Technical support. However, that made me had to wait an additional 30 seconds to boot if selective start up was initiated from improper shutdown and 30 more because I had to choose between Windows 7 Ultimate and Recovered, since I messed up the repair process and disabling Legacy USB doesn't allow me to use a USB keyboard on boot. Also if I didn't disable Legacy USB I had to wait 20 minutes or so for it to figure out there was no external USB devices to boot from. I wanted to add Quadro graphics cards, but the cheapest ones that are within $700 and are decent are based on Fermi and are old. I choose the Xeon because I'm trying to build a Workstation and I wanted ECC support. The SSHD's were chosen because of the capacity and price, since SSD's are so expensive. A picture of the build showing the motherboard, other hardware, and cable management, which may not be the best it can be can be seen below:

As you can see the CPU cooler has not been installed yet and neither has the memory because I still waiting for the memory kit to arrive after going the a lot of hassle with order mix ups and availability of the 32 GB kit.

The specs are as follows:

My Original Xeon 2011 v2 build Specs
-Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-X79-UP4 LGA 2011 Intel X79 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
-Memory: Wintec 16GB (2 x 8GB) x2 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM ECC Registered DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Server Memory
-Processor: Intel Xeon E5-1650 v2 3.50 GHz Processor - Socket FCLGA2011 - Hexa-core (6 Core) - 12 MB Cache - 0 MT/s QPI
-Graphic Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 760 Dual 4GB w/ EVGA ACX Cooling 4GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card x2
-OS Drives: Seagate Hybrid Drive ST2000DX001 2TB MLC/8GB 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s NCQ 3.5" Desktop SSHD x2
-Raid 60 Harddrives: Seagate Hybrid Drive ST2000DX001 2TB MLC/8GB 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s NCQ 3.5" Desktop SSHD x2
-Optical Reader: LG Electronics Blu-ray Disc Combo Internal SATA 12X Lightscribe with 3D Play Back, Model CH12LS28
-Optical Writer: LG Black 14X BD-R 2X BD-RE 16X DVD+R 5X DVD-RAM 12X BD-ROM 4MB Cache SATA BDXL Blu-Ray Burner with SW, 3D Play Back - BH14NS40
-Power Supply: CORSAIR AX1500i CP-9020057-NA 1500W ATX12V / EPS12V 80 PLUS Titanium certified Full Modular Power Supply
-Case: LIAN LI PC-A71F USB3.0 Black Aluminum ATX Full Tower Computer Case
-CPU Cooler: CORSAIR Hydro Series H80 (CWCH80) High Performance Liquid CPU Cooler
-Memory card reader: Lian-Li CR-25 memory card reader black
-Surge Suppressor: CyberPower CSHT1208TNC2G 8 Feet 12 Outlets 4350 joule Surge Suppressor
-UPS: CyberPower Enterprise GreenPower UPS CP1500AVRT 1500VA 900Watt 4 x 5-15R Battery/Surge Protected 4 x 5-15R Surge Protected Outlets UPS

If you have any comments please reply, but don't be too harsh.

Last edited:
If you intend to add Fermi GPUs down the line, how good is the air flow in that case? Fermi GPUs tend to run very, very hot, especially when running GPGPU applications.

I'd recommend considering the following:

- Upgrading the CPU cooler to a dual tower
- Using a full SSD as a boot drive not SSHDs

Your graphics cards are in a less then optimal configuration.

Move one card to the top PCI-E x16 slot, then move your sound card down to the second PCI-E x1 slot. That way they both get x16 bandwidth, and they aren't stifling the air flow by being sandwiched. The SLI bridge that come with the board should be long enough.

To make it abit easier, it should be Slots 1&2 should be your primary 760, Slot 3 Empty, Slot 4 Sound card, Slots 5&6 Second 760, Slot 7 Empty.

Just built a workstation on that board, it's really quite solid.

If you intend to add Fermi GPUs down the line, how good is the air flow in that case? Fermi GPUs tend to run very, very hot, especially when running GPGPU applications.

What do you mean dual tower CPU cooler?
I'd prefer to have about 500GB for each OS installed on this computer, so full SSD is out off the question considering that the largest is 1 TB and that they cost about $600. I know there maybe larger than 1 TB SSD's that are 2.5 inch or 3.5 inch, but not without a lot of searching and spending a lot of money that I don't have right now to invest in it.

Last edited:
Your graphics cards are in a less then optimal configuration.

Move one card to the top PCI-E x16 slot, then move your sound card down to the second PCI-E x1 slot. That way they both get x16 bandwidth, and they aren't stifling the air flow by being sandwiched. The SLI bridge that come with the board should be long enough.

To make it abit easier, it should be Slots 1&2 should be your primary 760, Slot 3 Empty, Slot 4 Sound card, Slots 5&6 Second 760, Slot 7 Empty.

Just built a workstation on that board, it's really quite solid.

I can't move the top graphics card to the top slot because the USB 3.0 cable, which is plugged into the header in front of it is in the way. I also can't move any cards to the bottom because the other headers are in the way, since it is the bottom slot and not the second to bottom. I know this doesn't help air flow either, but I have no choice unless I can find a USB 3.0 extension or something. However I believe I may have found what I need here:

http://www.moddiy.com/products/Prem...n-Cable.html?gclid=CJOB1KPN6b8CFaY-Mgod0hgASw

Dual tower, as in something like the Noctua D15. Decibel for decibel, they cool as well as 240 type radiators.

As for cheap SSDs, 512 GB Crucial MX100 goes for ~$210 each. The Samsung 1tb EVO is also pretty decent.

You only need 1 SSD, then copy and move files to the hard drives. Don't buy hybrid SSHDs; in general they aren't that great.

As the other person indicated, you want your GPUs in the x16 x16 position. It's the main draw of X79. That and 6 core.

Dual tower, as in something like the Noctua D15. Decibel for decibel, they cool as well as 240 type radiators.

As for cheap SSDs, 512 GB Crucial MX100 goes for ~$210 each. The Samsung 1tb EVO is also pretty decent.

You only need 1 SSD, then copy and move files to the hard drives. Don't buy hybrid SSHDs; in general they aren't that great.

As the other person indicated, you want your GPUs in the x16 x16 position. It's the main draw of X79. That and 6 core.

I would not use Noctrua D15 or anything like it because it would probably block the memory DIMMs. Also you don't understand I plan to probably have at least 3 different operating systems installed and I want about 500 GB for each partition, so a 512 GB or 1 TB SSD would be to small. The Samsung 1 TB EVO is at least around $400 depending on how recent the model is and considering it's capacity it's just too expensive compared to a n SSHD. As for the issue with the GPUs I will be ordering the extension cable I indicated because it provides the flexibility I need versus having a stiff plug in the way. When Haswell-E is released the main draw for X79 will be 8 cores.

I can't move the top graphics card to the top slot because the USB 3.0 cable, which is plugged into the header in front of it is in the way. I also can't move any cards to the bottom because the other headers are in the way, since it is the bottom slot and not the second to bottom. I know this doesn't help air flow either, but I have no choice unless I can find a USB 3.0 extension or something. However I believe I may have found what I need here:

http://www.moddiy.com/products/Prem...n-Cable.html?gclid=CJOB1KPN6b8CFaY-Mgod0hgASw

The top slot will not interfere with the USB 3 port. That's a Titan Black, a longer GPU, in the top slot with the USB connected.

http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1040973157&postcount=11183

Are you sure that board supports ECC Ram ?..............I looked it up myself and it says 'Supports Non ECC Ram' in the specs. Also you could do a much better job with that birds nest of cables ;)

The top slot will not interfere with the USB 3 port. That's a Titan Black, a longer GPU, in the top slot with the USB connected.

http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1040973157&postcount=11183

Yea after looking at it again it looks like it might fit in the top slot, but it will be a tight fit and I was experiencing trouble getting it in. I still would like a more flexible cable for the USB 3.0 though. The picture in the like you gave looks like a tight fit between the CPU cooler and the graphics card.

Are you sure that board supports ECC Ram ?..............I looked it up myself and it says 'Supports Non ECC Ram' in the specs. Also you could do a much better job with that birds nest of cables ;)

ECC support is not dependent on the motherboard, but instead it's dependent on the processor because the memory controller is built into it and not the motherboard. As for the cable management the case doesn't have garments and I'm having trouble figuring out were I want to mount the cable tie mounts because no matter what they might be in the way or at least in future builds with this case.

Should I replace the GTX 760's with Quadro K4000's such as the following, which is based on Fermi:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814133485

Will CUDA be that disabled with the GTX 760's vs the Quadro k4000's because the 760's have more CUDA cores?

ECC support is not dependent on the motherboard, but instead it's dependent on the processor because the memory controller is built into it and not the motherboard. As for the cable management the case doesn't have garments and I'm having trouble figuring out were I want to mount the cable tie mounts because no matter what they might be in the way or at least in future builds with this case.

You may be able to use the ECC Ram on that board but it will function as standard non-ECC Ram BECAUSE THE MOTHERBOARD DOES NOT SUPPORT ECC RAM. Please read up on the subject, you are making a big mistake !
http://www.gigabyte.com.au/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4288#sp

Last edited:
Should I replace the GTX 760's with Quadro K4000's such as the following, which is based on Fermi:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814133485

Will CUDA be that disabled with the GTX 760's vs the Quadro k4000's because the 760's have more CUDA cores?

The K4000 is not based on Fermi, thus the K for Kepler. The quadros also have much higher double precision performance compared to (most) GTX cards. If you want solid gaming and DP performance, get a Titan.

Also, with reference to the picture I linked earlier, yes the CPU cooler is close, but it didn't touch. I put a rubber stopper in between them anyways just incase. You should really be using the slots I suggested, you're going to hobble your cards PCI-e bandwidth.

Also, Mothman may be right. I realize the CPU supports ECC, but if the mobo doesn't have the switch to turn it on, it's moot. The UP5 does support ECC though, only unbuffered though apparently. I think you're entire setup ATM is just going to be a world of pain when you try and turn it on.

Last edited:
You may be able to use the ECC Ram on that board but it will function as standard non-ECC Ram BECAUSE THE MOTHERBOARD DOES NOT SUPPORT ECC RAM. Please read up on the subject, you are making a big mistake !
http://www.gigabyte.com.au/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4288#sp

ECC definitely works on the board as I recently built a PC for my brother with the same motherboard, a quad core ES xeon cpu (qafn), and 16gb ECC (4x4gb), I have no idea if it disables ECC functions or not because he just uses it as a normal desktop and gaming pc. Its a nice board though...

ECC definitely works on the board as I recently built a PC for my brother with the same motherboard, a quad core ES xeon cpu (qafn), and 16gb ECC (4x4gb), I have no idea if it disables ECC functions or not because he just uses it as a normal desktop and gaming pc. Its a nice board though...

Read what he said again. He said you could use it, but it won't be in ECC. You just said you don't think your brothers is running in ECC. Whats the point of ECC ram is it's not running in ECC?

Did you check to see if the GA-X79-UP4 supported ECC Ram before you decided to use it ? The only Gigabyte LGA 2011 board that supports ECC Ram is the GA-X79S-UP5. You guys are also risking damage to the board by using an unsupported type of ram.

Read what he said again. He said you could use it, but it won't be in ECC. You just said you don't think your brothers is running in ECC. Whats the point of ECC ram is it's not running in ECC?

The most obvious reason is that it can be found substantially cheaper than desktop ram... I could care less if the ECC functionality worked.

Did you check to see if the GA-X79-UP4 supported ECC Ram before you decided to use it ? The only Gigabyte LGA 2011 board that supports ECC Ram is the GA-X79S-UP5. You guys are also risking damage to the board by using an unsupported type of ram.

Huh? How would it damage the board? I have seen many people use ECC ram in desktop boards for years going back to X58 with xeons. This is the first time I've seen or heard anything about a possibility of future damage, where did you see this?

The most obvious reason is that it can be found substantially cheaper than desktop ram... I could care less if the ECC functionality worked.

Yes, but it DOES matter to the OP. So you're interjection is fruitless and confusing to the OP.

That being said, I doubt damage to the board will occur.

Huh? How would it damage the board? I have seen many people use ECC ram in desktop boards for years going back to X58 with xeons. This is the first time I've seen or heard anything about a possibility of future damage, where did you see this?

And you probably use 30w oil in you car that specifies 5w20. ECC ram is generally more expensive than non-ECC. Motherboard manufacturers test and list compatible ram modules so that you don't fuck up your board and RMA it every other month as so many people here do. As finicky as some ram can be it's just plain stupid to use non-compatible modules and yes there are plenty of cases where using the wrong ram bricks boards.
You carry on with your pipe wrench and claw hammer approach my friend, I'm outta here !

Yes, but it DOES matter to the OP. So you're interjection is fruitless and confusing to the OP.

That being said, I doubt damage to the board will occur.

I don't see how my post could be considered confusing. Also it isn't fruitless if he is trying to save money.

I don't see how my post could be considered confusing. Also it isn't fruitless if he is trying to save money.

You say he can use ECC ram. Then point out that you don't know if it's actually running in an ECC mode. He states in his original post, that he WANTS ECC. Your post just gives him a resounding "Maybe". That's not helping, and is confusing.

Judging by the cost of the components he's got so far, I don't think saving a few bucks on ram is a concern here.

And you probably use 30w oil in you car that specifies 5w20. ECC ram is generally more expensive than non-ECC. Motherboard manufacturers test and list compatible ram modules so that you don't fuck up your board and RMA it every other month as so many people here do. As finicky as some ram can be it's just plain stupid to use non-compatible modules and yes there are plenty of cases where using the wrong ram bricks boards.
You carry on with your pipe wrench and claw hammer approach my friend, I'm outta here !

Lol... because motor oil is a good comparison :p

How many people currently have Xeons in their desktop boards, take a guess at how many of those boards have Xeons on their compatability lists. I guess all of these people should be concerned that their motherboard will blow at any minute...

Maybe I should have specified that used DDR3 ECC ram can be found for much cheaper than used desktop DDR3 (usually around 40%)

Show some real evidence of it fucking up someones board and I'll listen, for now you're guessing that it will. PLEASE show me just one example of someone needing to RMA their board because they used ECC ram in.

Last edited:
You say he can use ECC ram. Then point out that you don't know if it's actually running in an ECC mode. He states in his original post, that he WANTS ECC. Your post just gives him a resounding "Maybe". That's not helping, and is confusing.

Judging by the cost of the components he's got so far, I don't think saving a few bucks on ram is a concern here.

Thats funny, you completely understand the post yet call it confusing.

If money isn't a concern then why not get a board that is made to be a workstation.

Thats funny, you completely understand the post yet call it confusing.

If money isn't a concern then why not get a board that is made to be a workstation.

That's because, even if I do understand it, I could see how it could be confusing. The OP clearly has a few gaps in his build, so I can see how it could be confusing for him.

He may not have though he needed to go with a more expensive board. He may have thought that this was enough. There's a difference between spending for what you need, and spending too much for too much. In this case, he does probably need to spend abit more on the board, for example going to the UP5, rather then the 4.

This is all fruitless until the OP responds again though.

Lol... because motor oil is a good comparison :p

How many people currently have Xeons in their desktop boards, take a guess at how many of those boards have Xeons on their compatability lists. I guess all of these people should be concerned that their motherboard will blow at any minute...

Maybe I should have specified that used DDR3 ECC ram can be found for much cheaper than used desktop DDR3 (usually around 40%)

Show some real evidence of it fucking up someones board and I'll listen, for now you're guessing that it will. PLEASE show me just one example of someone needing to RMA their board because they used ECC ram in.

I don't think the OP is even interested anymore, but I'll wag my dick one more time here. The answer to your first point is NONE! The OP's Xeon E5-1650-v2 IS on the GA-X79-UP4 CPU compatibility list, the E3 1230 v2, that I have in the desktop rig I'm writing on now, IS on my boards CPU Combatibility list.
You absolutely CANNOT run a Xeon CPU on a board that does not support it. OH and note to self " Don't buy any CPU's or Motherboards from ssnyder28"

I don't think the OP is even interested anymore, but I'll wag my dick one more time here. The answer to your first point is NONE! The OP's Xeon E5-1650-v2 IS on the GA-X79-UP4 CPU compatibility list, the E3 1230 v2, that I have in the desktop rig I'm writing on now, IS on my boards CPU Combatibility list.
You absolutely CANNOT run a Xeon CPU on a board that does not support it. OH and note to self " Don't buy any CPU's or Motherboards from ssnyder28"

You can play with your dick all you want since you seem to have some sort of hard on for trying to make me look bad. Good for you that your board supports a xeon cpu I guess you want a gold star or something? I said tons of boards don't list xeons as compatibile on their lists and it doesn't mean shit.

You absolutely can run xeons on boards that don't list them as compatible and there are tons of threads on this site alone referencing that. There are zero threads ANYWHERE referencing your claim that officially unsupported cpus or ECC ram somehow degrade a motherboard.

Provide some real evidence on your claims instead of what your opinion is.

You can play with your dick all you want since you seem to have some sort of hard on for trying to make me look bad. Good for you that your board supports a xeon cpu I guess you want a gold star or something? I said tons of boards don't list xeons as compatibile on their lists and it doesn't mean shit.

You absolutely can run xeons on boards that don't list them as compatible and there are tons of threads on this site alone referencing that. There are zero threads ANYWHERE referencing your claim that officially unsupported cpus or ECC ram somehow degrade a motherboard.

Provide some real evidence on your claims instead of what your opinion is.

Due to the fact that you all are arguing I'm going to try the ECC and see if it works. I still disagree because I still believe it is processor dependent and not board dependent. I shouldn't damage the board, but alot has change since the Pentium III Coppermine and Tualatin that did support ECC and allowed you to turn it off from the BIOS. I'm want and hope to be able to use ECC especially now with everyones claims.

Last edited:
One more thing I originally intended to purchase the GA-X79S-UP5-WIFI with the C606 chipset, but nobody had it in stock and the only way I can get it now is with a credit card authorization form from gigabyte. You're killing me with this ECC support claim, because that was the whole reason I choose a Xeon processor and I was planning to use this board again for other builds where cases do not allow larger boards that the ATX form factor. I have yet to purchase a UP5 because I didn't like that it only had 6 expansion slots instead of 7, since this makes spacing graphics cards apart harder and limits the ability to install other forms of expansion cards. If UP4 doesn't support ECC and UP5 is not available is every one saying I have to buy a single processor Server/Workstation board to support it.

Last edited:

According the following links the neither the GA-X79S-UP5 or GA-X79S-UP5-WIFI support ECC if what you guys are saying is true based on the specs given:

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4049#ov

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4287#sp

The K4000 is not based on Fermi, thus the K for Kepler. The quadros also have much higher double precision performance compared to (most) GTX cards. If you want solid gaming and DP performance, get a Titan.

Also, with reference to the picture I linked earlier, yes the CPU cooler is close, but it didn't touch. I put a rubber stopper in between them anyways just incase. You should really be using the slots I suggested, you're going to hobble your cards PCI-e bandwidth.

Also, Mothman may be right. I realize the CPU supports ECC, but if the mobo doesn't have the switch to turn it on, it's moot. The UP5 does support ECC though, only unbuffered though apparently. I think you're entire setup ATM is just going to be a world of pain when you try and turn it on.

Then it's a good thing I have installed the memory yet or the CPU cooler and turned it on yet either.

That's because, even if I do understand it, I could see how it could be confusing. The OP clearly has a few gaps in his build, so I can see how it could be confusing for him.

He may not have though he needed to go with a more expensive board. He may have thought that this was enough. There's a difference between spending for what you need, and spending too much for too much. In this case, he does probably need to spend abit more on the board, for example going to the UP5, rather then the 4.

This is all fruitless until the OP responds again though.

I checked out the both the UP5 and UP5-WIFI as follows and they both say the same thing as the UP4:

With that said should I get the following instead because the layout is something that's closer to something I like and need:

http://b2b.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4466#dl

Finally should I return the UP4 to newegg because I have actually used it, since I haven't turned the system on or plugged it in.

I checked out the both the UP5 and UP5-WIFI as follows and they both say the same thing as the UP4:

With that said should I get the following instead because the layout is something that's closer to something I like and need:

Finally should I return the UP4 to newegg because I have actually used it, since I haven't turned the system on or plugged it in.

I checked Newegg and I can't return the board because I've had it past the return or replace period, so I'll have to sell it if I want to get a board that supports ECC memory.

I never said the U"D"5 supported ECC, only the U"P"5, and it only supports unbuffered ECC memory.

Also, at this point, I'd just put it together if you're outside the return period and just see if the ram works. If it doesn't, oh well, sell the board. I'm pretty sure you'd be the first person trying to get ECC to work on this board though. So give it a shot, It might surprise us all.

I never said the U"D"5 supported ECC, only the U"P"5, and it only supports unbuffered ECC memory.

Also, at this point, I'd just put it together if you're outside the return period and just see if the ram works. If it doesn't, oh well, sell the board. I'm pretty sure you'd be the first person trying to get ECC to work on this board though. So give it a shot, It might surprise us all.

I'm pretty sure you guys are right though now because UP5 and UP5 Wifi both say the same thing in the specs as the UP4 regardless of if your saying the UD5 or UP5 support unbuffered ECC memory. Also because both the UP5, UP5-Wifi, and UP4 both say the most memory they support is 64 GB, but the GA-6PXSV4 says it will support 256 GB and that makes sense because the Core i7 processors says the most they can support is 64 GB. That seems like the manufacturers are saying it's a limitation in the X79 and X79S chipset, since the GA-6PXSV4 uses the C604 chipset. It is possible it could work and that I could surprise you guys, so I'm going to call or email Gigabyte as one last way to be sure before I use it.

I'm pretty sure you guys are right though now because UP5 and UP5 Wifi both say the same thing in the specs as the UP4 regardless of if your saying the UD5 or UP5 support unbuffered ECC memory. Also because both the UP5, UP5-Wifi, and UP4 both say the most memory they support is 64 GB, but the GA-6PXSV4 says it will support 256 GB and that makes sense because the Core i7 processors says the most they can support is 64 GB. That seems like the manufacturers are saying it's a limitation in the X79 and X79S chipset, since the GA-6PXSV4 uses the C604 chipset. It is possible it could work and that I could surprise you guys, so I'm going to call or email Gigabyte as one last way to be sure before I use it.

The UP5-Wifi uses the C606 chipset, not the X79. The only reason the UP5 is limited to 64gb of ram, is because it doesn't support registered ECC, only unbuffered ECC.

When I say UP5, I mean the UP5-Wifi. There is no UP5 vanilla, only the Wifi. You keep linking to the UD5.

Gigabyte is going to give you some vague vanilla response that it doesn't support it as they will go by the spec sheet that you're already referencing. Just put the ECC ram in, it either will work or not it won't cause your pc to spontaneously combust or something.

Gigabyte is going to give you some vague vanilla response that it doesn't support it as they will go by the spec sheet that you're already referencing. Just put the ECC ram in, it either will work or not it won't cause your pc to spontaneously combust or something.

It should work, but will it enable ECC though and allow me to support beyond the 64 GB limit of the Core i series processors should I ever need that much and if it doesn't having ECC memory in the thing kind of defeats the purpose. I'm not trying to game here I just cheaped out on the video cards because I wasn't sure about the K4000 being fermi or not and whether or not the GTX 760's would be that disabled with CUDA as well as the GTX series having more CUDA cores than the K4000's.

Back