Sound bar/base conundrum

blackbeaSSt

2[H]4U
looking to move from a traditional 5.1 to a sound bar or sound base while using my jbl sub12 to add some additional oomph. and yes, i know that there is no way im going to get a true to life surround sound with a bar/base :D

i'll also preface this by saying we have a fairly decent size living with a very high ceiling (prolly 20ft+ at the peak). i bought the zvox 570 sound base last week and so far i've been underwhelmed with it. not sure what it is about it but im not in love with it. so im looking at returning it and going a different route.

looking for any and all opinions on the below bars:

yamaha ysp-1400. does have a sub out and looks to have decent reviews. can grab for $350

LG NB5541. sub is included but not sure of quality. also not sure another can be added. can have this for around $300

Vizio 5430. looks to have a sub out and also has some pretty decent reviews as far as audio goes. this one can be had for $275

First choice would be the vizio. Always go with the biggest when picking sound bars.

Pro tip, the bar does not have to have sub out, if it even has L/R out you will be set.

Now if i was going to get something higher end:
http://www.amazon.com/Mirage-Unitheater-Left-Center-Right-Discontinued-Manufacturer/dp/B000FBPH52

The problem is you need a receiver to power it. On the other hand you could just get a little amp and be done with it:
http://www.parts-express.com/lepai-...fier-with-bluetooth-and-power-supply--310-298
http://www.parts-express.com/dayton...attery-powered-mini-amplifier-15-wpc--300-380

And if you wanted to go even cheaper:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0..._m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0BD31EANDATSMC32GKD1

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
that mirage looks sexy, but damn its old technology isn't it? lot has changed in 8 years.

also needing add-ons isn't appealing.

thanks for the info though.

Last edited:
Nope the only thing that has come out in the last 25 years for the front stage is dolby atmos, with the "top front" field. High end speaker manufactures rarely change models, and most are just refreshes to the box or a minor crossover change.

It sucks that the omnitheater needs a reciever vs an all in one solution, but at the end of the day its just one more box, its not like it will be an extra remote or even reduce buttons, since all sound bars will have a selectable 2-3 inputs. The nice thing about the omnitheater setup is you can run dolby digital directly to it.

damn the decisions. still debating on the yamaha and vizio :(

edit: i went with the vizio 54"er. i might also go to best buy and buy the yamaha prior to this showing up and will return the one im not happiest with.

Last edited:
Edit to my edit: I went to best try for shiggles and saw they had the Yamaha yps-1400. The shitty tv they had hooked to it was, well, shitty. So I cranked up the Bluetooth on the bad boy and went to town.

This thing fuggin rocks! It sounded good in a big open ass building like best cry so I figured why not give ot a go. They actually had it on sale for $331. I'll get to mess with it more when my kids aren't asleep on the other side of the living room!

I'll also get to compare it to the vizio 54" this weekend.

FWIW, I'm using the YSP-1400 with a Yamaha YST-SW012 8" subwoofer. It sounds great and the simulated surround sound is pretty convincing.

Last edited:
because my alternative is almost nill.
Same situation for me. I'm in a loft with 20+ ft. ceilings and a huge open floor plan. I'd have to spend several thousand $$ to buy and professionally install just a modest 5.1/7.1 setup. Not gonna happen. The soundbar/sub setup isn't going to rival a home theater, but it's a nice, inexpensive (<$500) solution that sounds more than good enough for me.

i'm quite pleased with it after just playing around a little bit.

i'll post up a video of the yamaha in action before and after i hook up the sub and get it configured.

Back