Windows 10 build 10022 - the best keeps getting better!

DPI

[H]F Junkie
ieATqPg.jpg

Last edited:
want to tell me whats missing that you need? as long as i can put shortcuts on the taskbar, i dont really see what the problem is.

It is just a troll thread for people that still think windows 2000 is the bees-fucking-knees.

I am loving win10. All the best parts of Win7+8.1.

Am I missing something? I've used the past few builds of windows 10 and thought it was just fine. For a desktop user I thought it worked just fine.

At this point it's clear they simply hate desktop users

DPI posting this is hysterical...the guy who constantly rants against anyone who posts negative comments on any game or product and responds with the same spiel about 'internet community of whiners and complainers...those who feel entitled..blah blah blah'...sorry but I can't take this thread seriously

LOL those icons

Triple Double Facepalm Monster C-C-C-C-C-OMBO BREAKER

You clowns asked for "newer icons" and now we finally have something that was even worse than XP's Fisher Price theme. It seems like every OS people want newer icons like this is Apple or something. One should know Microsoft was NOT built on their artistic creativity, that was their historic rival.

DPI posting this is hysterical...the guy who constantly rants against anyone who posts negative comments on any game or product and responds with the same spiel about 'internet community of whiners and complainers...those who feel entitled..blah blah blah'...sorry but I can't take this thread seriously

I'm sure this post has something to do with something, and there's a point in there that probably made sense while it was in your head. if a real screenshot from a new build constitutes a troll thread then apparently the source article at MS fansite Neowin is too (and needless to say, the reactions aren't pretty) http://www.neowin.net/news/plethora-of-screenshots-of-windows-10-build-10022-leak

Back on topic, I'm actually PRAYING they leave the iconset and absurd bing-shopping search box default exactly as it exists in this build, through to the final. Why not? Let's get stupid.

Last edited:
God damn, that GUI is even uglier than Windows 8, and those icons look extremely flat and fugly. Windows 98 with 16/32 bit coloured enabled looks 10x better than this.

Waaaahhhhh, I want the UI to be resolution-independent, but I want the same old aliased bitmap icons to go with it!

Waaaahhhhh, I want the UI to be resolution-independent, but I want the same old aliased bitmap icons to go with it!

I agree, you can't have both. But I feel they could have tried a little harder with the new icons. It's entirely possible to go "flat and functional" while still looking professional. These just look amateurish. Though I'm wondering if they would look better when viewed at a more reasonable size

Last edited:
When will this be released? Im itching to reinstall my Win7 might as well hold out for 10 if its out sometime soon.

Waaahh icons don't have to look like something out of junior grade arts class. Is that image a bad joke or real?

Their are just coping Apple and Android. Anyone who didn't see a "flat" style coming to windows is stuck in 1995.

Waaahh icons don't have to look like something out of junior grade arts class. Is that image a bad joke or real?

The screenshot is real. I'm looking at most of those same icons right now on a monitor to my right. They don't look like something out of "junior grade arts class" and they're much easier to identify on my 4K display than the muddy upscaled Windows 8 icons used in earlier builds, especially from a distance. I expect they'll continue to be refined as we approach launch, but I doubt there will be any particularly radical changes.

If you don't like them, they're not difficult to replace.

this

lol, maybe some of that mess will be fixed by the time its released. Otherwise there's always hoping for another possible fix 3+ years from now.

In all seriousness I think it will be. What's concerning though is that this kind of garbage even gets considered, that some committee actually said "yes this is a good idea". Sure, icons are minor in the grand scheme of the OS, but It casts doubt on their grasp of how important it is they execute properly with the next windows. This OS needs to be solid from day one without a whole lot of weirdness. Aesthetics *are* important.

As I always believed when Win8 launched, "now is not the time for Microsoft to be polarizing", and with Win10 its going to be even more true than ever. They need it to be solid out of the gate without pissing people off or making them scratch their heads while feeding the blogosphere with ammunition.

Last edited:
They need it to be solid out of the gate without pissing people off or making them scratch their heads while feeding the blogosphere with ammunition.

If these icons prevent you from thinking Win 10 is "solid" despite everything else remarkably impressive about the Technical Preview, you were never going to use it anyway. I'd rather MS spend their time working on stuff that really matters than making 50 different iterations of icons and asking their Twitter followers to vote on the cutest ones.

I'd rather MS spend their time working on stuff that really matters than making 50 different iterations of icons and asking their Twitter followers to vote on the cutest ones.

The OS is HUGE. I met several people that work on Windows. Team managers meet other team managers, but there isn't a lot of interaction between some developers. There are teams for the taskbar (and only the taskbar and notifications), the Start menu, the Music and Video apps, the desktop (including icons), the setup (whole team dedicated to just that part). So, they are working on the stuff that matters. Just another team is working on stuff that matters to them, because that's what they do - the desktop UI and interaction. That's it. It's such a huge thing, I can see how some things can crash. They all do their little part then put it all together to see if everything fits...

The OS is HUGE. I met several people that work on Windows. Team managers meet other team managers, but there isn't a lot of interaction between some developers. There are teams for the taskbar (and only the taskbar and notifications), the Start menu, the Music and Video apps, the desktop (including icons), the setup (whole team dedicated to just that part). So, they are working on the stuff that matters. Just another team is working on stuff that matters to them, because that's what they do - the desktop UI and interaction. That's it. It's such a huge thing, I can see how some things can crash. They all do their little part then put it all together to see if everything fits...

Microsoft has long since dropped the single team mentality to Windows, something a lot of people seem to be unaware of. As you said, they have teams for everything dedicated to just one thing. While their jobs may not be nearly as important, to them it's very important and small complaints in the grand scheme of things are actually very huge and reflective for those team members who have one job. If you fail at your part you're impacting everyone's user experience as it was intended.

Just look at the explosion of staff members that work solely on Windows over the course of the past 20 years. Version to version the numbers will astound people. You can do everything with far less, but it's just the way Microsoft does things.

The screenshot is real. I'm looking at most of those same icons right now on a monitor to my right. They don't look like something out of "junior grade arts class" and they're much easier to identify on my 4K display than the muddy upscaled Windows 8 icons used in earlier builds, especially from a distance. I expect they'll continue to be refined as we approach launch, but I doubt there will be any particularly radical changes.

If you don't like them, they're not difficult to replace.
I would guess they they are defaulting to the larger version of icons.

If you right click on the desktop and go to view, is it set to Large by default? Maybe it can be changed to medium?

I do not like the fact that the start screen is not there. I prefer to turn on my home computer in the morning and see what is going on at a glance on I login. I do not want to have to click this program, open that program, move this and that over here or there and finally, wait until the relevant information comes up.

I think my point is a whole lot more valid and functional then folks crying about icons that are not even the final look. Hopefully, the start screen or at least the full screen start menu will be configurable to open on startup just like the start screen. Right now though, the previews just are not stable or solid enough to even be used except in a virtual machine.

I do not like the fact that the start screen is not there. I prefer to turn on my home computer in the morning and see what is going on at a glance on I login. I do not want to have to click this program, open that program, move this and that over here or there and finally, wait until the relevant information comes up.

You've got to be the only person I've seen complain when the start screen is missing, haha!

You've got to be the only person I've seen complain when the start screen is missing, haha!

That may be true but it does not make my point any less valid. :D I love to see things at a glance. After all, can you imagine trying to operate a TV like a desktop computer? :) It is like being able to speak to my Xbox one and tell it what to do. It is incredibly convenient just like the start screen is as well.

Just install WindowBlinds, right? Right guys?

I'm sure the full-release icons will be different, this is a preview version. I hope.

Thanks guys the last three posts made me laugh out loud.

That's ok, fitting in is not my thing anyways. :D (At 48, I have somewhat gotten to the point where I do not have the time to waste anymore.) For me, I would ask someone to turn on the computer and without running any programs, provide me some information? (Just a contrast to what I said above.) :)

You can have vector icons that don't look like something out of penguinClub... all they had todo is take win7/8 icons and have them as vectors NOT raster

you are asserting that to have the same old icon style you need to use the same old filetype/container...

*FACEPALM*

Icons are icons. I fail to see the problem here.

Or did 8 train us to be outraged at every little thing MS does? Look, 8 was a fluster cuck. We all know this*. 10 looks like it's undoing a lot of the damage 8 caused. I'm hopeful anyways, and everything I've seen suggests they are doing good things.

* - Point of fact, many of us knew this WAY before 8 was released. And no, I'm not big enough not to say "I told you so".

I don't see any real improvements in 10. Its just 8 with a new style and new start menu. There are no architectural changes as in 8 so far.

All this talk of icons is just fluff.

Icons are icons. I fail to see the problem here.

Or did 8 train us to be outraged at every little thing MS does? Look, 8 was a fluster cuck. We all know this*. 10 looks like it's undoing a lot of the damage 8 caused. I'm hopeful anyways, and everything I've seen suggests they are doing good things.

* - Point of fact, many of us knew this WAY before 8 was released. And no, I'm not big enough not to say "I told you so".

Nah, it is just human nature to whine about minor stuff then to be grateful for what we do have. :( I see folks whining about small stuff like this here online well real suffering is occurring which they do not give two craps about.

Oh well, perhaps people should try having an illness that prevents sleep for 10+ years and then see what really matters.

For one thing Windows 10 and DX12 should allow AMD cpu's to up the minimum frame rates in 3D games to an acceptable level. That alone is worth the upgrade!

Back