What's happening to my GPU block?

frewtz

Limp Gawd
The block I have is a nickel plated Aquacomputer Kryographics R290x block. I recently leak tested my loop using pure distilled water and drained it once I was done testing. The next day, I began to notice slight discoloration in the GPU block, but didn't pay much attention to it. The loop remained drained for a few days and now the inside of the block looks like:

photo1_zps5d7124a4.jpg

photo2_zps42ee9830.jpg

It has progressively gotten worse and the discoloration continues to spread. It looks like the nickel plating is eroding, but am wondering if this is simply oxidation that can be resolved w/ lemon juice?

BUmp! whats happening to his block?? Is this not a big deal? Looks like a huge deal to me, but I'm a watern00b.

Is this what was going on with the EK stuffs year or two ago?

A couple of questions, is this happening in an empty block? It looks too me (just from those pics) like something is causing black tarnish and then the tarnish is eating the nickel. But I have never seen that at all- the EK problem was the coating mechanically flaking off AFAIK. I would run distilled and white vinegar through to see if you can clean it, and send an email explain what's going on to the company. You might get an RMA. Side note, after cleaning my blocks, I always keep them full of distilled water, and plug the barbs with foam earplugs (rinse again before use). but I might be tinfoil hat crazy. ;)

f plated block is eroding, like every f plating does. if it erodes a screw, you are screwed.:(

A couple of questions, is this happening in an empty block? It looks too me (just from those pics) like something is causing black tarnish and then the tarnish is eating the nickel. But I have never seen that at all- the EK problem was the coating mechanically flaking off AFAIK. I would run distilled and white vinegar through to see if you can clean it, and send an email explain what's going on to the company. You might get an RMA. Side note, after cleaning my blocks, I always keep them full of distilled water, and plug the barbs with foam earplugs (rinse again before use). but I might be tinfoil hat crazy. ;)

Yes, it's occurring in an empty block. I'm working w/ the vendor/manufacturer at the moment. Manufacturer admitted that recent batches have exhibited similar behavior and so it seems there is potential for RMA.

I will try vinegar/distilled water and see if it can clear things up.

f plated block is eroding, like every f plating does. if it erodes a screw, you are screwed.:(

Crossing my fingers that this is not the case, but erosion were my initial thoughts.

I am really irritated with Aquacomputer. At least they admitted there is an issue. I'm not trying to be a dick but I bought two AC blocks a 295x2 and a 290 this past month and I looked long and hard at the nickel plating options... and passed because of Tsumi's constant warnings about Ni and EK. Their radiators need screw guards too. They are pretty "efficient" and cheap about things. They just reshroud a 140mm rad for 120mm fans and call it a 120mm rad. Makes it kinda hard to know how big they are going to be--like it's not hard enough to choose components. Seems like some of these companies aren't just out to get your money but kill your components too.

That sucks, but that really makes it clear that your choices are basically to use a copper block and accept the discoloring (don't mind myself), or go with the one or two really trustable manufacturers that seem to be able to plate their products well.

Back