HTPC display issue via HDMI

dar124

[H]ard|Gawd
So I finally got my HTPC up and running and all put together. It's mounted down in my basement and about a week or so ago I ran a 10ft HDMI cable up to a keystone plate behind my TV and then another 6 ft HDMI cable over to the HDMI2 input on the TV. But I'm not getting any video to my TV. I'm still in the process of troubleshooting this, but figured that I'd also make a post here to hopefully get some additional input.

Here are links to the HDMI cables, 6ft, 10ft, and the keystone HDMI coupler

What I've tried so far:

Connected my laptop down in the basement via the HDMI cable and still dont get video up on the TV.

Switched from the HDMI2 to the HDMI1 port on my TV (normally used by my cable box) and no video on the TV.

Switched the HDMI cable from the keystone plate to the TV with another one, and still no video on the TV (I havent done anything with the cable from the PC to the keystone plate, because it's run thru the wall, but I dont think anything is wrong with the cable, both were purchased new from Monoprice).

I get video output from the HTPC's VGA and DVI ports. I havent been able to test the HDMI port on the PC, because the only thing I have with a HDMI input is my TV.

I also looked in the HTPC's bios to see if there was anywhere to turn on the HDMI output, but didnt see any options for that.

What I'm going to do next:

As I'm typing this post remembering somewhere that the recommended length for a HDMI cable is 15ft, and my 10ft cable and the 6ft cable together is over this recommended length. But it's only 1 ft over, so I wouldnt think that it would totally eliminate the video signal?? But I'll try to find a shorter HDMI cable from the keystone to the TV and try it.

I'll move my HTPC upstairs and connect it directly to the TV to see if that'll change anything.

Then the only other thing that I havent changed would be the HDMI coupler. I'd have to buy another one (prob a different brand) to see if that makes any difference.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
So there was a loose connection from the PC into the keystone HDMI coupler. I'm up and running and typing this reply in my living room on my HTPC!!!

That is what I was going to suggest. I had the same problem with the wall plate and ended up using duck tape to keep the cable attached.

Yea, I know it was initially securely attached. But I'm thinking that I might have loosened it when I was doing some cable management down in the basement. Either way things have been good since!!!

Back