Disable CPU core parking

Savoy

2[H]4U
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pl3u9eiskM4&list=FLg0lTnB2D6CEOjARMgMzqpA&feature=mh_lolz

So I came across this thread over on the EVGA forums and thought I would share this here. I seem to remember hearing about this a while ago butnever got around to looking into it. I used the simple regedit in the video and sure enough un parked 3 cores. Will test to see if it has any impact on games. Just thought I would share in case anyone here wasn't aware.

He said it does mainly does affect laptops, but I don't recommend to do that if you have it for mobility because it greatly consumes battery power at least many people complained about it in video comments, and he said some mistakes in there such as i3 is not a quad core, but only dual with HT and mobile i5 and some i7s are also duals with HT, so it's not strictly moving performance up for a quad core processors.

I personally wouldn't do this unless you have specific examples where threads are getting scheduled in an non-optimal manner.

I've found that Windows does a pretty good job scheduling around HT in almost all cases, especially games. In most cases it will try to utilize each physical core first, then spill stuff over. Now, this may not always be the best performing solution if you consider turbo modes on some modern processors with only a couple not very busy threads, however on a desktop where you may care about raw performance over power consumption this should be ideal almost all the time. Here's an example of GTA4 running on my machine without any kind of changes to windows scheduling:

gta4sbe.png

Last edited:
The idea here is to keep all the cores active in all situations where by they are never parked and not used. There are certain games/apps that windows will not take full advantage of all available cores which is why alot of people are saying their FPS has improved in some games. I can't see where keeping windows from ever parking cores can ever be a bad thing. Unless you're on a laptop and then battery power is a problem. From a desktop perspective, again, I don't see a downside to this. If it helps or not it can't be a bad thing. This doesn't, as far as I have read, mess with windows way of handling threads so where's the issue?

Some guy posted this on the BF3 forums when people were complaining about stuttering and such. It helped me in BF3 with the stuttering on my system. I still don't know why microsoft would implement this when I have my power settings at high performance. I thought that setting alone would disable every powersaving option.

Back