worth upgrading an SSD?

silk186

[H]ard|Gawd
I have a Samsung 830 256GB for a while now.
In the past I would buy a new HDD when I ran out of space and they would always be a little faster but I wouldn't really notice the improvement.
The question is, will it every be worthy for me to upgrade my SSD for performance?
I expect that when I do upgrade I will be either to a 512GB or 1TB ssd when they come down in price lot but could be years before i need to do that as my SSD is 49% full now.

I'm wondering if anyone on [H] has upgraded for performance. I know that SATA Express is the replacement for SATA3 for those that want more performance without going PCI. So, will it have any advantages outside of a server environment?

You didn't really say what you use your computer for - but I really really doubt you'd notice. Say an 840 Pro is 20% faster... are you really going to notice 4 seconds rather than 5 to load something...

Upgrading RAM or vcard may do you more good.

As of now...not really. Maybe by the time 512GB+ SSDs come down in price flash memory will see large performance boosts in what it can do...but that is hope springing eternal.

I don't do anything special. Internet, light gaming, office apps, some SPSS. More of a hypothetical question about the evolution of flash storage.

There are only 2 reasons that I would upgrade ANY SSD:
1. I am running out of space and need a larger one.
2. I am running a server that uses a specific workload to take advantage of the newer, faster drives.

I have an old Intel 120GB 320 SSD and it is still plenty fast for my gaming and general computing needs. If you manage your data right, you can stay with smaller, older SSDs for quite some time. I like to keep my free space at no less than 10%. When I get to 10%, I start to move old games/data off to the HDD.

Nope. I've always bought SSDs that are a good balance of reputable brand/speed/price so that I never have to upgrade just for the criteria of speed.

It's probably not unheard of, though.

I don't do anything special. Internet, light gaming, office apps, some SPSS. More of a hypothetical question about the evolution of flash storage.

You will not be able to notice a difference between your 830 and an 840 Pro, which is currently one of the fastest consumer SSDs. You don't do anything that even begins to push an SSD's performance, even the SSDs in the generation previous to yours, which I think of as including the Intel X25 and Corsair Force lines (I'm a bit hazy on what came before them).

Back