SDXC card not holding data in samsung S4

blgdinger

Limp Gawd
This is the SDXC card I bought
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820178677

It was working just fine for about a week I moved some music and movies to it no problem. Well a week later I went to do it again, but the music nor movies was playing. All the files say they cannot be played, and storage space was used up on the card. I rebooted my phone and then all the data was gone, and the storage was freed up. I thought it was because of an issue with my file server copying stuff, but I had 2 apps installed last night that no longer work. I rebooted my phone, now the apps are completely gone.

Any idea what the deal is? My phone is SDXC compatible so I don't see why there's an issue. The original data I put on still works fine. I'm not sure if this belongs in this forum or another. I've only used the card in my phone.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
It worked right out of the packaging so I wasn't going to fix what isn't broken.

I don't know when PNY became junk, or if there's something else causing this problem. I haven't had problems with any PNY stuff I had in the past.

Your card isn't junk most likely. Does it get recognized by Windows prior to going into the phone?

Read all the reports of premature death on Amazon. I thought it was one off so I took the gamble buying a couple 64GB and it happened to me too. No more Made in China memory products for me. Prefer Japanese or South Korean.

Your card isn't junk most likely. Does it get recognized by Windows prior to going into the phone?

You mean directly into the pc? I put it in my phone and it worked. Also worked when I put data on. Now all the videos don't play, music sounds underwater and garbled, and it doesn't appear in my apps. When I reboot all the data is gone. It'll say the space is used up too, then have free space after reboot. Not sure if reformatting will help, or of there's a special way to format a SDXC card.

You mean directly into the pc? I put it in my phone and it worked. Also worked when I put data on. Now all the videos don't play, music sounds underwater and garbled, and it doesn't appear in my apps. When I reboot all the data is gone. It'll say the space is used up too, then have free space after reboot. Not sure if reformatting will help, or of there's a special way to format a SDXC card.

Yes directly in the PC. The issues here sound more like a formatting issue. If the card was bad you would still the data on there it would just have errors.

Yes directly in the PC. The issues here sound more like a formatting issue. If the card was bad you would still the data on there it would just have errors.

Hmm I'd have to get an adapter of some sort. I don't have a sd card reader in my case.

I find them useful. I load my music/movies from my PC onto the chip then put the chip into my phone. Plus they are super cheap.

Make sure you buy directly from Amazon and not through a third party where you might get a counterfeit.

Also, make sure your phone and firmware support exFAT. If 32GB is working better than maybe your device only support FAT32 and not exFAT.

Updated parts:

PRO
http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Electronics-Adapter-MB-MG64DA-AM/dp/B00IVPU88U

EVO
http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Electronics-Adapter-MB-MP64DA-AM/dp/B00IVPU7AO
Since my phone suppers exFAT what do you think the issue is? Should I just reformat the card via my phone and see if that fixes it?

Yes, always a good idea to format in phone before use.

Wtf it won't format! And somehow a file is read only. When I delete everything and reboot it all comes back wtf

I can't really use the adapter either though, because that seems like the only way that it could be locked. However, if it was unlocked and set to write mode, then how the hell did it randomly go to read only? Man this shit pisses me off.

Last edited:
Haha wow this is weird, were you able to try it in your pc yet?

I don't have anything to plug it directly into my PC. I'm hoping my buddy has a card reader in one of his computers. This issue is rather bizarre.

Edit: update.. it's totally fucked. Stuck in read only mode. Tried multiple operating systems, a few programs, it's just not usable. Gonna rma it.

Last edited:
Back