Guess what AMD product is coming soon

I found out the picture is a Jaguar die shot or at least it looks like it.

The much anticpated Steamroller architecture that will still likely fall short of the now 3 year old Sandy Bridge clock for clock? oh wait...

Those sure are some pretty swirling dots.

Looking at the image, that is the Jaguar die shot, so this is most likely some sort of embedded solution or other SoC APU. Probably something more geared towards servers/enterprise as well.

The highlighted section might have something to do with the mem controller, i.e. HSA related. Would make sense as we haven't been seeing many HSA-related things lately.

Yeah, there is speculation that there is a reason the memory controller or cache is highlighted, and the die shot is irrelevant.

Was this it?

"Advanced Micro Devices said this week that its next-gen accelerated processing units for ultra-mobile devices were on-track for launch in calendar Q2 2014. The company’s new management did not not reveal any peculiarities about the news chips. Yet, the company clearly has plans to reveal them commercially this quarter."

Source:

http://www.kitguru.net/components/c...veal-new-gen-beema-mullins-apus-this-quarter/

It might be Puma, i.e. Beema/Mullins. But the die-shot might be irrelevant and only serves to show the DRAM controller. Guess we'll find out in five days...

I've been waiting for the steamroller core laptops for awhile. So much in fact I said screw waiting and picked up a A10-5757m laptop a few months ago.

Oh well, it does everything I need it to do.

It might be Puma, i.e. Beema/Mullins. But the die-shot might be irrelevant and only serves to show the DRAM controller. Guess we'll find out in five days...

The problem is not that AMD is about to launch it but the sad fact that it won't appear in devices you and I can buy. Meaning tablets or other smaller devices. Temash ended up in netbooks/laptops.

The only thing that you could purchase was a Hondo based tablet that was made for the business side of things.

The magnifying glass and highlighted part shifted to a different part of the picture.

I am thinking now that is a new socket AM1 Kabini processor. Meaning it STILL may qualify as a Toaster (I had a lot of overclocked hot running Athlons back in the day).

Are there compelling reasons why one would want an AMD chip in a tablet?

The GPU is so much more advanced than the competition that you can run real games on it without it stuttering, hitching, and wheezing. Well at least I remember some live demo from around the R9 series launch demonstrating it.

At the power envelope we're looking at for beema and mullins, it may not be able to do much though.

Don't they have something on the roadmap with an ARM A5 processor integrated for security features or some such? Maybe it's that?

Don't they have something on the roadmap with an ARM A5 processor integrated for security features or some such? Maybe it's that?

It's two products actually:
  1. One is a server processor with ARM core to handle security and possibly decryption.
  2. The other is another server processor based on ARM (unsure if it has a Radeon core or not on it)
A crazy idea I suggested a year or two ago on this forum is something like an ARM and x86 hybrid similar to big.LITTLE ARM SoCs, or an ARM-based APU with ARM and Radeon cores to compete in the tablet space could help AMD in this area. Someone countered that the problem is that AMD isn't well known for power saving features or power efficiency compared to Intel. That and there's unlikely going to be a market for this, or the market is too crowded, or Intel has better offerings as another person stated in that old forum post here.

The market isn't too crowded for SoC suppliers, there is literally ONE company these days. The problem is AMD won't ever be able to match their efficiency if they use their current GPU arch. They will need to develop something like Adreno (which they sold to Qualcomm ... the competition ... ).

from: http://www.fudzilla.com/home/item/34612-amd-launches-beema-boasts-huge-efficiency-improvements
AMD’s new branding for Beema and Mullins

AMD has three new low-power Mullins parts and it also has new branding for the tweaked cores. Mullins parts can be distinguished from Beema products quite easily, as they sport a Micro prefix in their designation.

The E1 Micro-6200T is a dual-core clocked up to 1.4GHz with a 3.95W TDP (2.8W SDP). It features Radeon R2 graphics, i.e. 128 GCN cores clocked at 300MHz and it can handle DDR3L-1066 memory. The A4 Micro-6400T is a quad-core clocked at 1.6GHz. It has a TDP of 4.5W (2.8W SDP) and Radeon R3 graphics clocked at 350MHz. The quad A10 Micro-6700T is the fastest Mullins chip, with a CPU clock of 2.2GHz and Radeon R6 graphics clocked 500MHz. Both A-series parts feature the same TDP/SDP, 2MB of L2 cache and support for DDR3L-1333 memory.

and
http://www.fudzilla.com/home/item/34613-mullins-can-turn-around-amd’s-tablet-fortunes

AMD is not thrilled. The company has been dealing with similar Intel shenanigans for almost two decades and it knows it cannot compete on a level playing field. AMD cannot afford to burn hundreds of millions of dollars per quarter to gain a few dozen tablet design wins. Therefore AMD is targeting a somewhat different market, mid-range $299 tablets. Intel is trying to grab everything from $99 to $299 with its tablet SoCs, while Haswell and Broadwell should take care of the higher end of the market.

Beema/Mullins is AMD’s first APU with a Platform Security Processor (PSP). This is basically an on-die Cortex A5 processor with dedicated ROM and SRAM. It also features a cryptographic co-processor capable of handling RSA, SHA, ECC, AES and a few other crypto standards. While PSP may not be a big deal for home users, it should come in handy for embedded applications. We will take a closer look at AMD’s PSP and a few other Beema features later.

some stuff from Guru3d http://www.guru3d.com/news_story/am...pus_formerly_codenamed_beema_and_mullins.html

Last edited:
I think it looks to be a potent set of chips that they have announced, although it remains to be seen just what the battery-life and actual power consumption is like. The performance per expected watt seems excellent at the moment however.

The much anticpated Steamroller architecture that will still likely fall short of the now 3 year old Sandy Bridge clock for clock? oh wait...

The same one that plays games fine or even better than sandy and gets to 5+ GHz with a good 150 dollar mobo... Relitevely easily actually. How much are those Intel mobos again? Sure some people say am3 + is "outdated" if you will but what features does my mobo not have that I should care about. Haha real world performance trumps everything including clock for clock. Every time.

The same one that plays games fine or even better than sandy and gets to 5+ GHz with a good 150 dollar mobo... Relitevely easily actually. How much are those Intel mobos again? Sure some people say am3 + is "outdated" if you will but what features does my mobo not have that I should care about. Haha real world performance trumps everything including clock for clock. Every time.

Good overclocking mainstream Intel boards start at $120-130. Overclocking on SB, IB, and Haswell is quite literally entirely up to silicon lottery, cheap vs expensive boards make little difference (as long as it's above $120). SB950 is missing native USB 3.0. HT has been shown to be a bottleneck in multi-GPU setups, if I recall correctly. Single core performance still trumps all for most games.

Back