Steam: RO2 free next 24 hrs

This game definitely needs a boost in player population, so hopefully this will help.

Sounds like the equivalent of "free demo" ?

No, you actually get to keep the game if you download it during the 24 hours.

Already have it, though, so not much use to me. I haven't played it too much but when I did I couldn't really tell what was going on...didn't know who my teammates were, kept getting randomly killed by guys I never saw, etc.

Awesome, I liked the original RO2 content much better than Rising Storm anyway. I may have to download it and hop in to a few battles.

Looks great in the videos, I'll give it a shot. Thanks!

You get to keep the game. You will be able to play Rising Storm maps but will only get a bolt action rifle for the USMC and Japanese teams. If you want to play other roles you'll have to pay for Rising Storm (integrated expansion).

At first I hated the game, largely because it chased the BF crowd and the bugs. But the devs have improved the game a whole lot and it is playable. Ensure to play on realistic or classic (though this mode is dead).

I am looking forward to In Country, a Vietnam War total conversion mod.

Sounds like the equivalent of "free demo" ?

Wrong, its the full game, that you keep forever. Just like L4D2 when they made it a free download for a day or two. And you don't even have to download it to bind it to your Steam account. Just click the "Install" button on the game's store page, and you own it.

looks like i already have the game guess it was in some humble bundle before

Not sure if I will ever play it but added it to my inventory.

Played the first RO. I think it was a mod for UT2004 actually. Was ok but the bots were b\very dumb and there was just about no one online to play with.

Not sure if I will ever play it but added it to my inventory.

Played the first RO. I think it was a mod for UT2004 actually. Was ok but the bots were b\very dumb and there was just about no one online to play with.

RO1 had a bigger player base than RO2. A few months before RO2 came out, RO1 had a player base the size of RO2 6 months after release. :p

And that is with RO1 being one of the first non-Valve games on Steam, when the install base was small. It certainly had a good run for 5 or so years.

It's kind of odd that the link says "Install Game" but doesn't have the regular price shown. I wonder if you have to finish downloading the entire game for it to be free (forever) or if just starting the download but never finishing is enough for it to be in my Steam Library (forever).

I did a little more research about the question I just asked.
There are a couple of caveats here. Normally when Steam gives something away for free you can just click the "Install" button and cancel partway through, tying the game to your account without needing to download right away. According to the promotion's wording, that isn't the case here—you need to install the entirety of the game today in order to take advantage of the offer. However, you're free to try canceling the install and seeing if it works. Just don't be surprised if it doesn't.

It's also a bit unclear from the promotion's wording, so here's a clarification of what the "purchase" nets you:

You definitely will receive Red Orchestra 2's singleplayer portion, but that's not really the draw here. You also receive full access to Red Orchestra 2's base multiplayer, which is Russia versus Germany—full weapons, full leveling, full unlocks, et cetera. Then you also get "Rifle Access" to the Rising Storm expansion's multiplayer, which features Japan versus the United States. However, this Rising Storm content is basically a demo—you can't level, and you're stuck with a single class and single weapon.

Last edited:
I believe you must be downloading it, but don't need the whole thing. For example, download 5MB, then pause. Can be useful if you have a slower internet or don't want to install it at the moment. I can't be sure for certain, but it does seem like you do need to at least start the download.

Don't bother with the SP. The MP install is huge as it is. It is nearly 22GB without mods.

The download itself is 6.6 GB. I'm approaching 1 GB on my slow-ass DSL. I may also just pause it there and see if Steam really does delete that game from my library if I don't finish it by tomorrow. (This way I don't have to keep my computer on overnight.)

Once the title has been added to your account (by going to the store page and pressing the install button, confirming that you want to open the link with steam) then you're good to go. Steam wont remove it regardless of if you've downloaded it or not once its been associated with and appears on your account/game list. If it shows up on your list without saying 'X days/hours remaining' then its been linked to the account and functions just as any other purchased game would.

There will also be a free weekend for Rising Storm coming up along with a sale. So you get RO2 for free now, bolt actions only in Rising Storm, and try Rising Storm this weekend with all content. If you like RO2/RS enough, buy Rising Storm while it is on sale. I think it will be $5 - 7.50 or so.

The new maps, including the community ones make the game so much better. I like the RS maps to. A lot of the original RO2 maps were terrible. Stuff like Bridges brings back that RO feel. Lots of long range, open combat with some combined arms.

The download itself is 6.6 GB. I'm approaching 1 GB on my slow-ass DSL. I may also just pause it there and see if Steam really does delete that game from my library if I don't finish it by tomorrow. (This way I don't have to keep my computer on overnight.)

Eh, you don't have to download the game for it to bind to your account. The moment you clicked "Install" on the store page, it was bound to your account.

Once the title has been added to your account (by going to the store page and pressing the install button, confirming that you want to open the link with steam) then you're good to go. Steam wont remove it regardless of if you've downloaded it or not once its been associated with and appears on your account/game list. If it shows up on your list without saying 'X days/hours remaining' then its been linked to the account and functions just as any other purchased game would.

Eh, you don't have to download the game for it to bind to your account. The moment you clicked "Install" on the store page, it was bound to your account.
Thanks, that's what I figured, but the link I posted in my previous post for that pcworld.com article said that it might have to be downloaded in full by the deadline, which I had never heard of before. In any case, I logged into Steam and saw that RO2 is still in my account. I had downloaded 1.3 of 6.6 GB and now will knock out another GB before I shutdown the PC. :)

Back