Is there such a thing as a best cpu cooler?

air cooling better?

Highend air has shown time and time again to be better than AIO coolers. The highend AIO coolers in most cases only get the same temps of highend air but are often far louder. If you want to go water, its custom loop or nothing.

If you want to go water, its custom loop or nothing.

No. Just not the case at all. It's definitely not nothing or custom loop to use a water cooler :rolleyes:

My CPU runs plenty cool. How much would it help me to run it another 10 degrees cooler? It wouldn't. Is my cooler loud? Nope, silent. So how is it custom loop or nothing? Which do you think is more common?

No. Just not the case at all. It's definitely not nothing or custom loop to use a water cooler :rolleyes:

My CPU runs plenty cool. How much would it help me to run it another 10 degrees cooler? It wouldn't. Is my cooler loud? Nope, silent. So how is it custom loop or nothing? Which do you think is more common?

Yes, you can run AIO, I never said you can't. But if you want WCing for better temps/noise over highend air, it is custom or nothing. :rolleyes:

Another measure of "better CPU cooling" is the level of maintenance necessary. With air cooling, the dust will build up after awhile but that's just a quick blast of compressed air to clean, and fans do eventually wear out but they're easily replaced. Do AIO or custom loops do better or worse on maintenance in the long run?

Here is an example of top air and top CLC.

Silver Arrow SB-E is 1c warmer, but 1/3rd as loud as H100; 15dBA is 3 times as loud to the ear.
Silver Arrow SB-E Extreme is 7c cooler at same volume as H100; can't hear 1dBA difference.
Run Silver Arrow SB-E at 1000-1300rpm and it sound the same as Silver Arrow SB-E. ;)

Code:
i7 3820 @4.75GHz  Temperature is Delta
Cooler		Delta	RPM	RPM	dBA	Fans
H100		41c	2500		55	2x
SA SB-E		42c	1000	1300	38	TY-150 & TY-141	
SA SB-E Extreme	34c	2500		56	2x TY-143

3dBA = change for human ear to hear a difference.
10dBA = sound twice as loud to human ear.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6xrsuPwDbo
jump in to 3:40 for results

It's like asking if there's such a thing as a best car. Everyone will say yes, and give you a completely different example.
/$0.02

But if you want WCing for better temps/noise over highend air, it is custom or nothing. :rolleyes:

Except I don't. I wanted a cheap water cooler over a big giant HSF because they improve thermal characteristics for other components when used in small cases and they look nicer in my subjective opinion. I've tested the Noctua NH-D14 and NH-C14 against these tiny Corsair H50 AIOs. The fair thing to do is use the same fans for both because, let's face it, the Corsair SP fans are not quiet.

So now the argument about noise level is moot, because as I stated, my AIO is silent--it's also plenty effective, but I suppose it helps that my case is really stripped out for airflow.

Except I don't. I wanted a cheap water cooler over a big giant HSF because they improve thermal characteristics for other components when used in small cases and they look nicer in my subjective opinion. I've tested the Noctua NH-D14 and NH-C14 against these tiny Corsair H50 AIOs. The fair thing to do is use the same fans for both because, let's face it, the Corsair SP fans are not quiet.

So now the argument about noise level is moot, because as I stated, my AIO is silent--it's also plenty effective, but I suppose it helps that my case is really stripped out for airflow.

CLC do not improve thermal characteristics. Stock and aftermarket air coolers move air over the motherboard cooling. CLC do not.. To get good component temperatures we need to setup the case airflow according to what cooler, GPU, etc. is in the system.

When I upgrade to a 4770K I plan on delidding. Do any of these air coolers still work after you delid? or does it necessitate a custom water block?

You can use either. Delidding does not change the mounting of cooler or waterblock.

Ok, so you don't want better temps...What does that have to do with the OPs question?

There have been many reviews of AIO coolers with the same fans, the results are the same, the fans they (Corsair) use are not that great, but you are not going to get a 3x sound level reduction over a fan change without a hit to CFM and as such cooling ability, as the other poster showed, the H100 which has twice the rad size as the H50 does not keep up with highend air. So if you want to spend the same price for a cooler that does not perform as well, and then spend another 20-40 bucks on good fans and that will still produce more noise than the highend air at the same cooling levels you are more than welcome to. Some people like yourself like the looks better, and that is 100% up to you on what you buy, but the OP did not ask what looked better.

You plan on delidding a monster heat producer like a 4770k, then no. Fans, or a h100 will not work. I have always used high end 155 cfm fans on push and pull to cool my cpu when I used a heatsink for cooling. Some fan setups worked a little better than my h100, but most were not. Now, since you are taking the time to take the top off, the no. You are not talking about stopping at 4.5, or if you are lucky enough to get 4.8 on air with that chip, you are trying to go for the gold. Neither one of those setups will get you even close to prime stable above 4.5, unless you happen to get a low volt chip. You need to go full water cooling on that heat producing chip. I run a 4930k at 4.9 ghz on 1.55 volts stable at max temp of 145 under prime stable. Go full water cooling with atleast a 360 rad.

Ok, so you don't want better temps...What does that have to do with the OPs question?

Of course I want better temps, that's why I delid my chip.

Did you actually even read the OP's question? He post a link to a 120mm AIO. I'm pretty sure he would prefer to use one rather than an air cooler.

CLC do not improve thermal characteristics. Stock and aftermarket air coolers move air over the motherboard cooling. CLC do not.. To get good component temperatures we need to setup the case airflow according to what cooler, GPU, etc. is in the system.

Getting rid of the huge cooler in my mid tower improved my motherboard temps. Why? The case gets better overall airflow without the huge obstacle.

People here are comparing high end air coolers with an h100 which its certainly loud.. But aren't comparing to at least the h100i which perform few degrees lower than h100 with way less louder fans.. And are also forgetting AIO WC like the h110, kraken x60, swiftech H220 (or the now rebranded cooler master glacer 240L).. Which all of those last outperform highest end air coolers in cooling performance and noise produced...and this its just taking into consideration small surface heatsink of 115X chips.. In big surface chips like 2011 chips or even AMD chips the difference its even greater in favor of AIO WC kits due to the greater cooling base in the block...

I would take all the way a h110 over any high end air cooler first for RAM compatibility (specially if want to use big RAM heatsink or RAM with fans) second for space into the case.. Third to keep the heat out of the case and better airflow.. More risk and failure points? Yes.. Of course as any other custom water cooler setup or exotic cooling.. Risk are always there, i've saw more fails on custom water coolers than AIO WC, i saw more motherboards broken or bent with big bulky high end air coolers than fails with AIO WC kits, risk are always there for any kind of cooler..

i saw more motherboards broken or bent with big bulky high end air coolers than fails with AIO WC kits

You have? I've only heard of heavy heat sinks ripping the sockets off the motherboards, and that only when idiots transport them (like in a moving van across the country) vertically without removing the heatsinks.

i've saw more fails on custom water coolers than AIO WC, i saw more motherboards broken or bent with big bulky high end air coolers than fails with AIO WC kits, risk are always there for any kind of cooler..
Was reading with interest even though most CLC will not out perform to air with similar CFM fans..

That was until I got to the last sentence. :eek:
Please supply us with links and data to substantiate that claim.

I have seen a couple systems damaged by CLC leaks and a few pics too.

But I have never even seen a picture of a broken motherboard caused by large air cooler.

Was reading with interest even though most CLC will not out perform to air with similar CFM fans..

That was until I got to the last sentence. :eek:
Please supply us with links and data to substantiate that claim.

I have seen a couple systems damaged by CLC leaks and a few pics too.

But I have never even seen a picture of a broken motherboard caused by large air cooler.

I had worked until the last year in a local computer center we was dedicated to assemble and repair computers since 2004... So trust me i've saw lots and lots of machines damaged by large air coolers, yes most in parts due to users fault over tightening coolers, moving without taking care of the cooler, but also lot of cheap thin mobos damaged due to high weight, thats why some mobos have a weight limit for the cooler.. In my personal experience i've never had any kind of issue with any kind of coolers, i use both and for 2 of my personal 24/7 server machine i use air coolers to avoid to check constantly and those things.. (Easier and faster to change a fan than a whole cooling system) but the rest of my machines are all with AiO water cooling kits..

About CFM fans, thats its really a matter of type of cooler, a high CFM fan will be louder and will perform poor if aren't static pressure optimized in radiators but will perform great in most air coolers due to fin density.. So for example a cooler master sickeflow 2000RPM perform flawlessly in a cooler master hyper 212 cooler, much better than for example noctua NF-P12. And even in push/pull are extremely quiet.. But if i use those fans in a H80 they will low severely the cooling performance of that cooler and also will be extremely loud.. I use a h100i with AP-15s and at same speed/same machine but with a PH-TC14PE and a noctua NH-D14 the h100i perform better with quieter operation specially under typical loads and normal gaming...

Did you actually even read the OP's question? He post a link to a 120mm AIO. I'm pretty sure he would prefer to use one rather than an air cooler. .

He did not ask about AIOs, he asked about best CPU coolers and I gave him the answer. This is about performance, and it does not matter what form it comes in.

People here are comparing high end air coolers with an h100 which its certainly loud.. But aren't comparing to at least the h100i which perform few degrees lower than h100 with way less louder fans.. And are also forgetting AIO WC like the h110, kraken x60, swiftech H220 (or the now rebranded cooler master glacer 240L).. Which all of those last outperform highest end air coolers in cooling performance and noise produced...and this its just taking into consideration small surface heatsink of 115X chips.. In big surface chips like 2011 chips or even AMD chips the difference its even greater in favor of AIO WC kits due to the greater cooling base in the block...

I would take all the way a h110 over any high end air cooler first for RAM compatibility (specially if want to use big RAM heatsink or RAM with fans) second for space into the case.. Third to keep the heat out of the case and better airflow.. More risk and failure points? Yes.. Of course as any other custom water cooler setup or exotic cooling.. Risk are always there, i've saw more fails on custom water coolers than AIO WC, i saw more motherboards broken or bent with big bulky high end air coolers than fails with AIO WC kits, risk are always there for any kind of cooler..

Take the H110, the biggest AIO in that lineup, with 140mm fans, only hits the same load temps as the NH-D14, however it is louder and costs more. So again, you can spend more money on a AIO, then another $40 on good replacement fans....Only to get the same noise and temps as the cheaper highend air? Now, if you have a given look in mind, or have an odd shaped case but room to mount a rad, an AIO might be the choice, but for outright performance and reliability, you will be hard pressed short of custom loops, to beat highend air.

Also blaming broken mobos on heavy coolers when it is user fault for over tightening or improper moving etc of the computer is just bad reasoning and can happen with any cooler, air or AIO.

Your sig says you have an H50, not what I would call "silent," especially when compared to similarly-performing air coolers.

That's the thing, some people live in noisy houses/apartments and as such think their PC is silent, because either they have never heard a silent PC or they live in an environment that has to high of a noise floor to notice.

I had picked up a H50 to use on a GPU, changed out the fan to a AP-13 and could not believe how loud the stock pump is on the cooler, can't hear anything else, but can hear the pump humming away.

That's the thing, some people live in noisy houses/apartments and as such think their PC is silent, because either they have never heard a silent PC or they live in an environment that has to high of a noise floor to notice.

I had picked up a H50 to use on a GPU, changed out the fan to a AP-13 and could not believe how loud the stock pump is on the cooler, can't hear anything else, but can hear the pump humming away.

Yeah I like a quiet computer. If I heard the pump at all it would piss me off since my rig is right next to me. I'm not hard of hearing the shit is damn near silent. I have 2 of them and they are the same. Put the corsair fans they came with on and they are loud as hell. Put quiet fans on there and they work fine. For the most part my system is silent because it doesn't need high rpm to cool itself. Then there's all kinds of other variables like if you are doing intake or exhaust and if there's a grill or a dust filter in front. If I take my side panel off I can't call the h50 so quiet anymore and it helped to dremel out the grill covering the exhaust port.

Yup, same problem here. I've never been able to find a AIO water cooler that's actually quiet at idle. They all get their teeth kicked in by the noise floor presented by normal air coolers (which aren't hindered by pump noise and the need for high-pressure fans).

Good air coolers can run with a single 120mm fan at 600 RPM most of the time (and only kick up the fan speed when real load is placed on the processor).

There's simply no way to get an H50 down to that kind of noise level. First off, you're stuck with the pump no matter what. Second, the radiator is too dense to get away with a fan at 600 RPM while also providing cooling comparable to a good air cooler at similar noise levels.

Yup, same problem here. I've never been able to find a AIO water cooler that's actually quiet at idle. They all get their teeth kicked in by the noise floor presented by normal air coolers (which aren't hindered by pump noise and the need for high-pressure fans).

Good air coolers can run with a single 120mm fan at 600 RPM most of the time (and only kick up the fan speed when real load is placed on the processor).

There's simply no way to get an H50 down to that kind of noise level. First off, you're stuck with the pump no matter what. Second, the radiator is too dense to get away with a fan at 600 RPM while also providing cooling comparable to a good air cooler at similar noise levels.

I don't know if owning the H50 "Quiet Version" makes any difference but I went from an NH-D14 to this setup and there is no noise worth mentioning in the case of the water cooler. The pump is essentially silent. When you first turn it on it makes a little high pitched gurgle and that's about it. Am I claiming it's a better cooler than [enter cooler here]???? Nope. Just saying it's just as quiet for my needs as my Noctua air coolers were. My room isn't a recording studio. I have an air filter on to keep dust to a minimum and a small Vornado fan running under my desk at low settings. You can hear those things above my computer but they are not loud. I don't have a sound pressure reading for you but I don't think it would matter much as you guys seem to just have it out for my little H50. If I'm gaming you hear the 2 video cards and they are the loudest thing in the room.

I don't need high RPMs on the H50fans because my chip never gets very hot to begin with, but the 2 Noctuas at full blast do not make much noise--certainly not more than they did on the NH-C14 or NH-D14 I've tested.

If you are afraid of delidding and/or afraid of using a water cooler for whatever reason be it noise or leak, then yes, the air cooler is best. Saying "there's no way an H50 can be as quiet as an air cooler" is just flat wrong. I've owned multiples of both, and tested them in the same case in the past 8 months. There is no *practical difference* in idle noise level. If you haven't delidded the chip, then the H50 will run hotter than the air cooler, if you have, it's just as quiet as an air cooler and doesn't look like something out of the 80s. Either way, 600 RPMs on my fans is fine. I can turn them off, too. Shit. I can turn the stupid pump off and it still just idles in the 50s, but that's not normal--that's a good chip and a good delidded mount.

About CFM fans, thats its really a matter of type of cooler, a high CFM fan will be louder and will perform poor if aren't static pressure optimized in radiators but will perform great in most air coolers due to fin density.. So for example a cooler master sickeflow 2000RPM perform flawlessly in a cooler master hyper 212 cooler, much better than for example noctua NF-P12. And even in push/pull are extremely quiet.. But if i use those fans in a H80 they will low severely the cooling performance of that cooler and also will be extremely loud.. I use a h100i with AP-15s and at same speed/same machine but with a PH-TC14PE and a noctua NH-D14 the h100i perform better with quieter operation specially under typical loads and normal gaming...
AP fans are very good, and work very well for almost any application for case to radiator. And that's what a good fan is able to do. We are not using it to it's full capablity as a cse fan, but it will supply a good flow of air at very low noise level... and to me that is what I want.. and why I use fans with good cfm AND H2O mm.. but not based on manufacturer's specs. I prefer to use reviews from sources like MartinsLiquidLab.

As for H100i out performing 14PE & D14, well it's more about case airflow than cooler. H100i is adding 2x AP-15s to case's airflow as well as dumping it's heated exhaust outside of case and therefore not heating up the air it is using to cool. Setup a 14PE or D14 with similar airflow and fans and you will get similar temperature results.

On 175w of heat there is only 0.7-1.1c difference, even at 345w the difference is only 2.9-3.4c cooler with H100i running 2700rpm fans than Silver Arrow SB-E with 1100 & 1300rpm fans, Akasa Modusa with 1900 & 1600rpm fans, NH-U14S with 1500rpm fan, and PH-TC14PE with 1300rpm fans. With reference fans I'm betting that difference disappears. ;)
http://www.thelab.gr/heatsinks-coolers-watercooling-reviews/cpu-cooler-review-database-89014.html

I don't know if owning the H50 "Quiet Version" makes any difference but I went from an NH-D14 to this setup and there is no noise worth mentioning in the case of the water cooler. The pump is essentially silent. When you first turn it on it makes a little high pitched gurgle and that's about it. Am I claiming it's a better cooler than [enter cooler here]???? Nope. Just saying it's just as quiet for my needs as my Noctua air coolers were. My room isn't a recording studio. I have an air filter on to keep dust to a minimum and a small Vornado fan running under my desk at low settings. You can hear those things above my computer but they are not loud. I don't have a sound pressure reading for you but I don't think it would matter much as you guys seem to just have it out for my little H50. If I'm gaming you hear the 2 video cards and they are the loudest thing in the room.

I don't need high RPMs on the H50fans because my chip never gets very hot to begin with, but the 2 Noctuas at full blast do not make much noise--certainly not more than they did on the NH-C14 or NH-D14 I've tested.

If you are afraid of delidding and/or afraid of using a water cooler for whatever reason be it noise or leak, then yes, the air cooler is best. Saying "there's no way an H50 can be as quiet as an air cooler" is just flat wrong. I've owned multiples of both, and tested them in the same case in the past 8 months. There is no *practical difference* in idle noise level. If you haven't delidded the chip, then the H50 will run hotter than the air cooler, if you have, it's just as quiet as an air cooler and doesn't look like something out of the 80s. Either way, 600 RPMs on my fans is fine. I can turn them off, too. Shit. I can turn the stupid pump off and it still just idles in the 50s, but that's not normal--that's a good chip and a good delidded mount.
Obviously your sound floor is nowhere near silent. There is no way to judge what is quieter than sound floor and 'silent' is way below your sound floor. :D

No, it is not wrong. An air cooler is completely silent when fan is not running. CLC cannot cool without the pump running.. and when they run the do make sound, so are not silent.

Yes, there is a 'practical difference' at idle. A pump will make more noise than no fan running at all.

Delidding chip changes the ability of chip to move heat to cooler, but does not change cooling ability of either CLC or air cooler to cool the chip. So how can one cool differently than other before and after delidding?

Out of the 80's?? Heat pipes were not used in computers until the late 1990's or early 2000's! :D

Last edited:
Man you are fantastic at highlighting text. You're also being completely obtuse about this. The cooler runs quieter after delidding because it allows you to turn the fans down. This isn't rocket science. We're well aware the air cooler has greater cooling potential but if greater cooling potential isn't needed then noise level is no reason to avoid an AIO. Pump noise? Buncha bullshit, it's not noticeable. If your noise floor is so low that you can hear a pin drop you won't hear the pump above the case fans/psu fan/gpu fans. Fact. Live with it.

Man you are fantastic at highlighting text. You're also being completely obtuse about this. The cooler runs quieter after delidding because it allows you to turn the fans down. This isn't rocket science. We're well aware the air cooler has greater cooling potential but if greater cooling potential isn't needed then noise level is no reason to avoid an AIO. Pump noise? Buncha bullshit, it's not noticeable. If your noise floor is so low that you can hear a pin drop you won't hear the pump above the case fans/psu fan/gpu fans. Fact. Live with it. You don't know what you're talking about.

Pump noise is not BS, and is even brought up in some reviews, case fan noise etc also depends on setup, most higher end fans will produce less noise than the pump at 800rpm or less. Also, people are not saying not to use AIO coolers, all this is coming from the stand point of what the OP asked for, which is "best CPU cooler", and that, short of custom WCing will be highend air. Some of the newer AIO coolers have come along way from the first ones, but the biggest problem with most of them is an underpowered pump/block, which is why allot of custom WCing systems with the same size and FPI rad cool FAR better than AIO coolers. They probably will never be at that level either as we are talking 3-400 in custom parts and nice pumps etc vs a 100-150 cooler, but again, this is all getting side tracked, AIO coolers have many uses, such as SFF systems, or building cleaner looking systems, or people who travel to LAN parties etc. but when the question of what preforms the best, the answer is custom WCing or highend air.

Pump noise is not BS, and is even brought up in some reviews, case fan noise etc also depends on setup, most higher end fans will produce less noise than the pump at 800rpm or less.

Can you please post some reviews where its stated something about pump noise in any relative "new" AiO WC pump?.. Yes i remember the noise of the H50, heck i have 2 of those still working, that high profile pump its noisy, but thats a old system.. The design was seriously changed, my h100i pump run at ~2300RPM and its silent, not quiet its completely silent.. And same behavior was present with other AIO WC H70 was a major improve in the pump system same as the kuhler 920.. (Same asetek).. The cool IT design in H60-H80-H100-H100i was even better thats why i ask about any review that mention that.. When i have all my case fans OFF (even the radiator fans off without GPU.. and also included both noisy tinny fans of my mobo which firsly i though was an issue with my pump but was the 35mm being noisy) the louder thing in my case its the HDD.. You can't hear the pump even with head close to the case with the side panel open.. And man my room its really quiet if i shut off all the fans i can hear the HDD spinning but nothing more my room its completely closed with no windows and only with a split air at 15mts away from my PC place.. Whats the point of a noisy pump if even in a quiet room with all the fans included both radiator's fans OFF a HDD in normal operation its louder? How more silent can be that?. In a normal daily task/gaming i highly doubt you normally will off all the fans just to try to hear the pump and say "hey the pump are making some sound here".. Its just a thing of being practical, even if you use passive air coolers, in a case with just 2 low RPM fans, even at idle you will probably hear the GPU more than anything else.. What i have to agree? Best form of cooling? Custom water setup.. Ins't just necessary to say anything more.

Btw i would want to see a dual socket or quad socket board with a air cooler that can offer the same cooling potential as closed loop units can do.. In that segment just only 2 paths fully custom loop or AIO kits..

Last edited:
Can you please post some reviews where its stated something about pump noise in any relative "new" AiO WC pump?.. Yes i remember the noise of the H50, heck i have 2 of those still working, that high profile pump its noisy, but thats a old system.. The design was seriously changed, my h100i pump run at ~2300RPM and its silent, not quiet its completely silent.. And same behavior was present with other AIO WC H70 was a major improve in the pump system same as the kuhler 920.. (Same asetek).. The cool IT design in H60-H80-H100-H100i was even better thats why i ask about any review that mention that.. When i have all my case fans OFF (even the radiator fans off without GPU.. and also included both noisy tinny fans of my mobo which firsly i though was an issue with my pump but was the 35mm being noisy) the louder thing in my case its the HDD.. You can't hear the pump even with head close to the case with the side panel open.. And man my room its really quiet if i shut off all the fans i can hear the HDD spinning but nothing more my room its completely closed with no windows and only with a split air at 15mts away from my PC place.. Whats the point of a noisy pump if even in a quiet room with all the fans included both radiator's fans OFF a HDD in normal operation its louder? How more silent can be that?. In a normal daily task/gaming i highly doubt you normally will off all the fans just to try to hear the pump and say "hey the pump are making some sound here".. Its just a thing of being practical, even if you use passive air coolers, in a case with just 2 low RPM fans, even at idle you will probably hear the GPU more than anything else.. What i have to agree? Best form of cooling? Custom water setup.. Ins't just necessary to say anything more.

You don't have to agree, and this posts shows why this has gone so far off topic, we are not attacking AIO coolers, we are answering the OPs question, if you do not like hearing that highend air is better than AIO coolers on the market today...Well, nothing I can do about that.

Man you are fantastic at highlighting text. You're also being completely obtuse about this. The cooler runs quieter after delidding because it allows you to turn the fans down. This isn't rocket science. We're well aware the air cooler has greater cooling potential but if greater cooling potential isn't needed then noise level is no reason to avoid an AIO. Pump noise? Buncha bullshit, it's not noticeable. If your noise floor is so low that you can hear a pin drop you won't hear the pump above the case fans/psu fan/gpu fans. Fact. Live with it.
Wow! BS, live with it. :eek:
I though we were having a discussion. :confused:

I said nothing about delidding and quieter.
You said
B]haven't delidded[/B] the chip, then the H50 will run hotter than the air cooler
My reply
Delidding chip changes the ability of chip to move heat to cooler, but does not change cooling ability of either CLC or air cooler to cool the chip. So how can one cool differently than other before and after delidding?

If pump is running it is making noise... noticeable or not it is still noise.

No, it is not a fact, and no, I will not live with it.
The sound floor in my room is quiet enough to "hear a pin drop" and the noise level of my case, PSU and GPU fans is quiet enough I can still "hear a pin drop." The system is inaudible except for HDD activity. A pump would have to be very quiet for me to not hear it.

Edit:
@ Araxie
Like BlueFireIce just said. AIO / CLC pumps are not silent. This is common knowledge. A quick google for "water cooling pump noise" will give you lots to read on the subject.

Last edited:
Wow! BS, live with it. :eek:
I though we were having a discussion. :confused:
Yes yes, I got sore when you refused to believe an H50 quiet ed. could be about the same noise level as an air cooler, based on... your conviction that "pump noise" is a universal issue among AIOs--and I can confidently tell you that it is not.

And then you said this:
If pump is running it is making noise... noticeable or not it is still noise.
Which is like... OK it's nearly 3AM--I'm not responding to that remark now. But quite frankly, it is the equivalent to arguing that "indeed, if a tree falls in the forest, but no one is around to hear it, it's still loud as fuck and bothers me". As far as I was concerned our "discussion" was over already since you did not seem to be a reasonable, logical minded person to have a constructive "discussion" with. Thus, the "BS, live with it" attitude you had already encountered.

But now I've found a reason to respond to this:
No, it is not a fact, and no, I will not live with it.

And this drivel as well:
The sound floor in my room is quiet enough to "hear a pin drop" and the noise level of my case, PSU and GPU fans is quiet enough I can still "hear a pin drop." The system is inaudible except for HDD activity. A pump would have to be very quiet for me to not hear it.

Not all pumps are created equal. I don't know about the original H50, which is this monstrous design:
h50_pkg_zps71a35e7c.png~original
h50_productshot_zpsb9c6f2cc.png~original

or which H50 you've had the misfortune of testing in your vaccuum of a "sound floor" computer area, or BlueFireIce's GPU H50 with the noisy pump, but they were either malfunctioning OR they weren't the same as my (2) Brand New H50&H55 Quiet Edition models, which have ~zero pump noise during use (as in the fans@min speed are louder). The newer H50/55 (identical AIO but H50 has no AMD mount included):
IMG_0276_zpsf3dce59f.jpg~original

Last edited:
The H50 I have is the newer rev of the model. The pump makes more noise than the AP-13 fan on it, when I first installed it (by far quieter than the stock HS) I heard a humming, ended up removing the unit and fan from it and running it outside the case and sure enough it was the pump, I still use it because it is still one of the best solutions for my GPU. BUT, with that out of the way, this is still going down the rabbit hole, and I am willing to set aside the pump noise as if it does not exist, which still leaves us at the point of all the reviews and sound/temp testing showing highend air cooling better than AIOs at the same noise level.

Which still leaves us at the point of all the reviews and sound/temp testing showing highend air cooling better than AIOs at the same noise level.

I admit. This is not a question up for debate. It's very easily verifiable. I had to delid my chip to feel comfortable using the H50 with my Hasbad. And for what it's worth I used an air cooler to burn in test my chip, because I didn't want to babysit a new AIO I didn't trust. They are not ideal. And I wouldn't have gone down this "rabbit hole" with anyone to begin with but I must reiterate that the OP posted a picture of a rather thick 120mm AIO and that's pretty much how it started--he wanted opinions on THAT unit. My opinion was it was needlessly thick and that was it... Then the air cooler protection unit arrived :p

So often people just look at thread titles and not thread content... then they want to accuse people of trolling.

Yes, he posted an AIO, but asked about best cooler, and then said at the end, was there anything better, which there is, in both air and AIOs, and for AIOs, for now atleast it is best to stick with the few bigger names known for their AIOs, but skipped that suggestion and went right to the best known coolers.

Back