do I have a lot of stuff running in the background?

etegv

Limp Gawd
Im trying to increase the performance of my pc. I installed windows 8 like 2 weeks ago. I logged today and noticed memory usage was at 47% so I went ahead and deleted a bunch of things. Id like to know if there is anything else I can do. Right now its at 20% with some tabs open. This pc has a i5 4670k cpu and 8gb of RAM. Any help would be great, thanks

You are fine, most of those processes are just basic windows stuff, with few couple exceptions as AMD Catalyst and few other things.. if you wanna really check about apps that can slow up your PC or eat RAM, go to Search box and Type: msconfig.exe go to the flange called "Windows Start up" and uncheck all unwanted Apps, just leave important apps checked like Video drivers, sound drivers, etc.. that will prevent the system to start up with tons of things.. and will only be used when you manually open as for example Java update setup, etc..

msconfig startup tab doesn't work in win 8. The task manager now has the start-up apps.

msconfig startup tab doesn't work in win 8. The task manager now has the start-up apps.

ahh yeah i forgot that.. i was using msconfig yesterday in my moms pc with windows 8 and totally forgot that part.. thx for the clarification..

If you're running x64, Windows states it needs 2GB to run (1GB if x86). 2/8 = 25%, plus whatever else you may have (catalyst centre, etc.) I see between 25 - 40% on our Windows 8 machines all the time right after boot, so that's nothing to be worried about.

Isn't that a good thing that your memory is being used? You WANT things in memory, things load faster from memory. If the ram isn't being used by something else then the system SHOULD put things in cached memory so that they load faster... Keeping the use at 50ish% utilization for this purpose seems more than reasonable to me... That said unnecessary programs eating up cpu cycles and memory that serve no purpose should be removed.

I think under 35 processes would be considered running 'super-light' but 45-60 is probably more average. But tazeet is right on with their analysis.

Isn't that a good thing that your memory is being used? You WANT things in memory, things load faster from memory. If the ram isn't being used by something else then the system SHOULD put things in cached memory so that they load faster... Keeping the use at 50ish% utilization for this purpose seems more than reasonable to me... That said unnecessary programs eating up cpu cycles and memory that serve no purpose should be removed.

Exactly.

I love how people buy all this memory, then never want it to be used :rolleyes:

I wouldn't too much worry a/b the background processes. Windows suspends them into the background until the moment you use an app that requires those processes. I prefer Windows to function this way: apps are more snappier and readily available without much loading.

Back