DC Vault 2

etothe3ric

Limp Gawd
Another Month has come [H]ard Commandos!

There is no direct focus for this month with a push however...

It looks like there is some discussion going on about GIMPS. This might become a project for a push this month.

I would also like to see if there is any interest in having a GPU project push as well.
For example (Collatz, Primegrid, Milkyway etc)

Any ideas?

i have my 3 cpus pushing on Gimps and 2 GPUs on GPUGrid right now but looking at PrimeGrid, we dont have much of an overtake chance but looks like unless we make a big push, we will drop 3-4 places. I might move a gpu over to primegrid in a little while.

I had been running PrimeGrid but shut down all GPUs for the summer. I'm pushing in several projects with really long overtake timelines:
Muon1 DPAD: 6-7 months (thanks mmmmmdonuts for joining in there)
OGR-27: 4 months (unless TheMTZ becomes active again)
Prime Sierpinski PRP: 3 months
Wieferich@Home: 2 months

I have a bunch of GIMPS work finishing at the end of next week and then I want to switch the SR-2 to something else. I still need to get the other GIMPS box back up and running.

PRP was completely dead for a while, where it seemed like I was the only guy in the world running it. Today it's more active but there are still only a handful of crunchers. It will run on all hardware, and I started out running it on an old dual core, but progress is slow unless you have major resources. Progress is slow anyway but if we could overtake the next three teams (in a little over 7 months at the current rate) that alone would put us solidly in 9th place in the DC Vault.

HI Everyone. I have been stretched a bit thin at work lately so I haven't had much time on the boards. I have had my i7 on Leiden and Malaria Control. I think that I might move over to Enigma here soon or else go help Jathanis on Cosmology. I think we could make big dents in either one of those projects with a small group. If anyone wants to join me and has a preference just let me know.

Great work on the non-BOINC projects everyone. Sazan once I get my test machine back up at work I'll try to run some W@Home with you. We are only 500 points out of 9th place. Think we can get there by Sept 1st? ;)

Eric - As for GPU projects I have been bouncing back and forth between Primegrid and GPUGrid. Currently Im on GPUGrid but I'll probably continue to switch back and forth a little. I think it will be pretty slow going in most of the GPU projects. My hope is more to keep us on the level. :) We do have a decent group running GPUGrid at the moment though with a spot or two on the horizon. Come on over if you wish. The large WUs are taking about a day to run on my 550Ti but they net about 50K points.

We're losing ground in Aqua, but it's because of some weird test WUs that are granting massive credits. The system is supposed to filter them out, but it's not. It looks like the project admins are in the process of rolling back the bogus credit.

Also, it looks like RNA World (beta) may soon be added to the DC Vault. It's a BOINC project.

Aqua@home is starting to upset me. I haven't been able to get a WU from them in about a month. I don't know if anybody else is having the same problem.

I still haven't decided what I want to do with my ESXi all in one machine. I got it doing 80%-90% (closer to 90% lately) of what it was doing before running a headless ubuntu server. The server is an E3-1230 with 16gb of RAM (although 8 is basically being used for openindiana). I just need the project to be able to run on linux and not be a huge memory hog.

It had been doing WCG, but I am willing to switch it over for a while to something else if the resources can be better used elsewhere.

Since its a server it will be on all the time and the time it takes to complete a WU does not matter to me. I was thinking about GIMPS, PRP, 17 or Bust, W@H.

Any thoughts where to best allocate this to move up quicker.

Sazaneyes - Any idea on a time frame for a new priority list?

Aqua is having some issues with their scoring so they have halted the project until they get it straightened out. I also noticed that they have open sourced the original Aqua application which I thought was kind of cool.
http://aqua.dwavesys.com/

All those projects you listed we could use some help in. Pick which ever one interested you the most. If you you decide on GIMPS you may want to give the overview that Sazan posted in the May DC Commandos thread a read. He explained the different Wus aren run times, etc.

As always thanks for the help! :)

My GIMPS dump has begun. 800 GHz-days so far today and 400 more to come over the next day or two. Looks like we'll gain 5 spots total. I still haven't decided what new project to start.

I'll try to release a new priority list this weekend. I started a new job June 1 and I've been busier than expected, but hopefully I'll have time to work on the stats project soon. I'm sure the top 5 are the same as always but maybe in a different order.

If you're looking at long-term crunching then either GIMPS, PRP, or Muon1 are good choices. All of those are extremely stable. SoB or OGR27 should be fine too. I think they all have native Linux clients except for Muon1 which is said to run well in Wine. W@H is Windows-only I believe and has weird client software, but it might work if you want to try it.

Recently bought a 460 from another person here on the forum but, I cannot get it to be stable without crashing. The video card driver crashes and the card temps get pretty high now. When it crashes the WUs for BOINC do not restart unfortunately.

Currently I can only run GIMPS on my server.
My secondary desktop is down with no power supply because its in my main desktop.
My main desktop is running OGR-27 and an array of GPU units when doesnt overheat I guess.

One 460 was stable idk why it isnt with 2 and keeps crashing the driver.

Well done on the GIMPS dump Sazan, we gained 100 DC points on that alone. I will be dumping about 5 GIMPS tasks over the next several days. We've been gaining ground in GPU Grid but are going to lose 2 places before we gain another.

Here's the updated priority list:

1. Prime Sierpinski Problem - PRP
2. Muon1 DPAD
2. GIMPS
4. Wieferich@Home
5. OGR-27
6. Seventeen Or Bust
7. Majestic-12
8. yoyo@home
9. Aqua@home
10. Cosmology@Home
11. Enigma@Home
12. Docking@Home
13. NFS@Home
14. ABC@Home
15. POEM@Home
16. GPUGRID
17. The Lattice Project
18. SZTAKI Desktop Grid
19. Climate Prediction
19. SIMAP
19. Collatz Conjecture
22. Malariacontrol.net
23. QMC@Home
24. Leiden Classic
25. PrimeGrid
26. Rosetta@Home
27. Dimes
28. MilkyWay@Home
29. Einstein@Home
30. RC5-72
31. Spinhenge@Home
32. Seti (BOINC)
33. World Community Grid
34. Folding@Home

There's been a bit of shuffling, and GIMPS is no longer #1. The projects below 9000 in the Vault are still at the top of the list.

Hey guys, I'm just about to be setting up a 2600k rig for BOINC (probably just Malariacontrol). Anyways, I was wondering which Linux distribution is the most efficient, or does it not make much difference? I don't have much Linux experience, but if there are noteworthy gains to choosing a light distribution, I'm up for it.

This weekend should be amusing for me in Muon1. I got access to the two "super" workstations at work for the weekend. ;)

Afterburners, on!

I have been trying to move my E3-1230 over to PRP and I am having some problems getting it setup in Ubuntu 11.04x64bit. I can get the client to build the different folders, edited the master file (only allowing work from PSP servers) but when I run the update and start files in the terminal it just flashes on the screen and then the terminal closes. Any idea what I am missing or doing incorrectly? Thanks

I have been trying to move my E3-1230 over to PRP and I am having some problems getting it setup in Ubuntu 11.04x64bit. I can get the client to build the different folders, edited the master file (only allowing work from PSP servers) but when I run the update and start files in the terminal it just flashes on the screen and then the terminal closes. Any idea what I am missing or doing incorrectly? Thanks
Try spelling out the full paths in the .bat that you run to start up the programs.
Code:
ECHO
cd C:\PRPNet\prpclient-1
start "prpclient-1" /MIN prpclient.exe
cd C:\PRPNet\prpclient-2
start "prpclient-2" /MIN prpclient.exe
cd C:\PRPNet\prpclient-3
start "prpclient-3" /MIN prpclient.exe
cd C:\PRPNet\prpclient-4
start "prpclient-4" /MIN prpclient.exe
EXIT

Hey guys, I'm just about to be setting up a 2600k rig for BOINC (probably just Malariacontrol). Anyways, I was wondering which Linux distribution is the most efficient, or does it not make much difference? I don't have much Linux experience, but if there are noteworthy gains to choosing a light distribution, I'm up for it.

Jimjam - I havent run Linux in a while so my knowledge may be a bit dated but here goes. IIRC most of the versions are fairly close in performance. Some BOINC projects show some gains in a x64 version of linux over a x86 version but Im sure if you are building a new machine this is almost a given anyway. If this machine is going to be a dedicated cruncher and you wont be doing anything else with it you may consider a distro that doesnt use Gnome or KDE as those tend to be a bit heavier than something like xfce or fluxbox.

Maybe other Linux pros can give better advice. :)

Going to start focusing hard on Muon until the end of August.

Its looking like I'm going to be cutting back once September comes around because I will be moving to a new house I'm renting where power is not included. Being the poor college student I am DC will take a back seat. :(

I'll still be around the forums of course but, I just won't have as much processing power anymore.

I ended up going with Slackware64 and KDE (I guess I could have looked into a lighter gui, maybe later). Had a friend help me with that. Then I overclocked it to 4.7. Haven't decided whether I'll try for higher clocks...I could probably make 4.9 but I imagine the voltage/temps probably wouldn't be worth it.

Eric - I'm in for an all out assault on Muon1 in August. I'll put my i7 on it and possibly my C2Q work computer (unless I try and help Sazan on W@Home). There are 2 dead teams in front of us and if we could over take them that should get us 300+ points and enough to overtake Ukraine. Anyone else want to join us?

Also welcome to phoenicis. He is doing some pretty amazing crunching in Poem. I saw we gained a spot in Poem yesterday and was curious so I looked at the stats. :eek:
http://stats.free-dc.org/stats.php?page=team&proj=poe&team=825
Thanks for helping! Stop in and say hi if you see this!

Stop in and say hi if you see this!
Hi :D

There’s not an established BOINC team at CPC/bit-tech so thought supporting my home away from home team was the best choice. I’ve moved all bar one rig from fah and will help out with what I can but it’s a steep learning curve.

I want to keep within the ‘Biological and Medical Sciences’ projects and so I went with Poem and GPUGrid for starters. My somewhat vague DC Vault approach is to target the Poem teams bunched up around the 5 mil+ point. With any luck we should be in amongst them within a couple of weeks. Not entirely sure if it’s a sound strategy so please advise if I’m off the mark.

Welcome aboard phoenicis. What hardware are you running in for Poem because your crushing that?

Razor_FX: Thanks for the help. My problem believe it or not was I was not running it as a super user. I can't believe I forgot that. Anyways it is now running Prime Sierpinski Problem - PRP full steam ahead. I think we can move up two positions very quickly because there is no one doing any work on them and we are less than 1 million points from both teams.

I will keep crunching away Muon1 on my laptop as long as I can as well.

Hi :D

There’s not an established BOINC team at CPC/bit-tech so thought supporting my home away from home team was the best choice. I’ve moved all bar one rig from fah and will help out with what I can but it’s a steep learning curve.

I want to keep within the ‘Biological and Medical Sciences’ projects and so I went with Poem and GPUGrid for starters. My somewhat vague DC Vault approach is to target the Poem teams bunched up around the 5 mil+ point. With any luck we should be in amongst them within a couple of weeks. Not entirely sure if it’s a sound strategy so please advise if I’m off the mark.

Yeah man that sounds good. GPUGrid is a good project if you like the goal of F@H. They seem to be similar projects. We could use help in both of those projects so we will gladly welcome the help! :) If you have any questions about the team, BOINC, or projects just ask! There are still a few veterans lurking around.

It would seem that the number of DC Vault crunchers here is dwindling. I suppose a hot summer for most of the US doesn't help. I know that Sazan and Eric are still around. Jathanis seems to be lurking yet. There are still a fair amount of WCG crunchers around (Argfan, rflcptr, & others). Razor you still crunching any projects? Not that tr0ach was ever a huge poster but I havent heard from him in a while either. :( August might be a good month to organize a team effort. Maybe we can get some new crunchers on board. Too bad we still dont have more of the original Commando on board: i looked back up the original DC Vault thread. I know some people have moved on but it would be cool to hear from alan or nomad or some others again. :)

Last edited:
Welcome aboard phoenicis. What hardware are you running in for Poem because your crushing that?

Thanks for the welcome. I’m currently running 2 x SR2s, a 980X and a 2600K on Poem. It’s crazy watching all the single thread work units thrashing away. I may drop the 980X but switch over a quad octocore Opteron rig once the F@H withdrawal symptoms ease.

Yeah man that sounds good. GPUGrid is a good project if you like the goal of F@H. They seem to be similar projects. We could use help in both of those projects so we will gladly welcome the help! :) If you have any questions about the team, BOINC, or projects just ask! There are still a few veterans lurking around.

I've still got a lot of reading to do but initially I'm confused why 3 average GPUs seem to be earning more credits on GPUGrid than all the above mentioned rigs on Poem. It doesn't bother me, I just want to make sure that I've not fluffed the configuration.

Thanks for the link to the original thread. It's fascinating to read how everything started :cool: Count me in for any team push in August.

Razor you still crunching any projects?
All systems are off except the 2 servers and PfSense router that are running Majestic-12 until temps cool off here. It's been over 100+F most the summer. I hope to bring back everything on line in September when it cools down and I will probably focus on SoB.

There will be another 60 points in tonights DC-Vault update from [H]ard|OCP passing Ars Technica in Majestic-12. We are Majestic-12's #1 team in the daily and 30 day totals now that McCoy and I are starting to bring our 100/15Mbit connections on line (still waiting for ISP to finish some upgrades so we can both run full 100Mbit at the same time).

Thanks for the welcome. I’m currently running 2 x SR2s, a 980X and a 2600K on Poem. It’s crazy watching all the single thread work units thrashing away. I may drop the 980X but switch over a quad octocore Opteron rig once the F@H withdrawal symptoms ease.

I've still got a lot of reading to do but initially I'm confused why 3 average GPUs seem to be earning more credits on GPUGrid than all the above mentioned rigs on Poem. It doesn't bother me, I just want to make sure that I've not fluffed the configuration.

Thanks for the link to the original thread. It's fascinating to read how everything started :cool: Count me in for any team push in August.

Thats a whole lot of [H]ardware! Thanks for contributing.
The high GPU performance is normal. The GPUs have so much more processing power than a CPU that they typically score very well. Having said that only a few projects have GPU applications (GPUGrid, Primegrid, Milkyway, Collatz, a few others). Most projects (like Poem) only run with CPUs. So with as many cores as you have running you will make a big impact in a short amount of time.

All systems are off except the 2 servers and PfSense router that are running Majestic-12 until temps cool off here. It's been over 100+F most the summer. I hope to bring back everything on line in September when it cools down and I will probably focus on SoB.

There will be another 60 points in tonights DC-Vault update from [H]ard|OCP passing Ars Technica in Majestic-12. We are Majestic-12's #1 team in the daily and 30 day totals now that McCoy and I are starting to bring our 100/15Mbit connections on line (still waiting for ISP to finish some upgrades so we can both run full 100Mbit at the same time).

Yeah I hear what you mean about the temps. I have shutdown my machines several times already during the day because of 100F+ temps. Great work on the Majestic-12. Props to you and McCoy! :) 100Mb is some serious bandwidth!

Hi guys. I turned off 3/4 of my machines because of the heat, but I'm still crunching PRP and W@H.

mmmmmdonuts, I don't see you on the PRP stats. Have you added yourself to the team? I don't remember the process but there may be some manual steps.

mmmmmdonuts, I don't see you on the PRP stats. Have you added yourself to the team? I don't remember the process but there may be some manual steps.

I actually haven't turned in any WU yet so thats probably why I am not on the stats page yet. I am actually 49 hours into each of the 8 WU I have and they are about 53+% through each. They are on 1st passes (rather than a double check??). Is this unusually long? Here is a sample work log:
Code:
[2011-07-25 20:52:48 EDT] PRPNet Client application v4.3.5 started
[2011-07-25 20:52:48 EDT] User name mmmmmdonuts at email address is [email protected]
[2011-07-25 20:52:48 EDT] prpnet.mine.nu:12000 connect to socket failed with error 111
[2011-07-25 20:52:48 EDT] prpnet.mine.nu:12000 connect to socket failed with error 111
[2011-07-25 20:52:49 EDT] PSPfp: Getting work from server www.psp-project.de at port 8100
[2011-07-25 20:52:51 EDT] PSPfp: PRPNet server is version 4.0.6
[2011-07-27 21:54:57 EDT] PSPfp: Could not open file [lresults.txt] for reading.  Assuming user stopped with ^C
[2011-07-27 21:54:57 EDT] Total Time: 49:02:09  Total Tests: 0  Total PRPs Found: 0
[2011-07-27 21:54:57 EDT] Client shutdown complete
[2011-07-27 21:56:58 EDT] PRPNet Client application v4.3.5 started
[2011-07-27 21:56:58 EDT] User name mmmmmdonuts at email address is [email protected]
[2011-07-27 21:58:29 EDT] PRPNet Client application v4.3.5 started
[2011-07-27 21:58:29 EDT] User name mmmmmdonuts at email address is [email protected]

I hope I am using the right server to help the team out and I added [H]ard|OCP as my team name in the setup file so I am hoping it all works out.

It's been a while since I did PRP but, I'll try and look tomorrow and see what the registration is like. EDIT found it!

Also just remember for PRP points are only granted if something is found using your computer. Doing the WUs does nothing if you don't find anything.

EDIT!
PRP-PSP
Joining the Team
To join you must go to the forum (http://www.mersenneforum.org/showthread.php?t=2692) and properly post a request in the forum thread and send a PM to ltd. Once you see your name on the list or the PM replied to then you are properly on the team. In the post/PM you must say your username and the team you would like to join.

Running the Project
In the forum there is a thread (http://www.mersenneforum.org/showthread.php?t=12239) which has the newest program for the project. At the link (http://tools.1up.no/psp/prpclient/) download and unzip the proper client. First you must update the master_prpclient.txt with your email address and your username. Enter the username provided on the forum that you posted on. For windows in the folder it give you many options of how many cores you have. Choose the correct amount of cores (I choose 8 cores) and run the install-prpclient once. Then run the start-prpclient. This will create the correct amount of command prompts running for the project. To send stats or update the client manually use the update-prpclient-ini.

And your up and running.

Though I'd add the other harder projects to join since I had written this a bit ago, still have more to write as well.

How to join difficult teams

Muon1
Joining the Team
There is no way to join the team before running the client.

Running the Project
To run the project you must download the zip folder from the main website. To register you must create a user.txt file inside the folder and on the first line of the file it must say [H]Username. For example mine is [H]EricE. This then registers you for the [H]orde once results are sent. Inside the folder is a file called muon1_cmdline. This is the version I use as it shows a command prompt of the progress that you can watch other ones such as muon1_background and muon1startup run behind the scenes. Also, you may use the manualsend to ship out the finished WUs if there is enough to send (it will error if there is not enough). Using the muon1_cmdline will ship out the stats automatically as well.

SoB
To Join the Project:
Go to their website www.seventeenorbust.com and click on the “Sign Up” link on the left side. Create a Username and enter your email address. Login to the site with your new username and select the preferences link to add your name to the [H]ard|OCP team.

To Run the Project:
Go to the link Download on the left hand side and get the proper version of the client software. Also download the Prime.txt file and put it in the directory for SoB. Extract the folder and Run “prime95.exe” Make sure you add your username to the Primenet under Test. Other than that just let the client run and your all set the WUs are pretty long though.

Wieferich@Home
To Join the Project:
Go to their website www.elmath.org. Download the correct version for your needs either regular or the multicore. Install then it will prompt you for registration. Add your member name (Eric E) then a password and your email. To join the team you must start the client and where it says “unknown” find [H]ard|OCP.

To Run the Project:
Find your link and run since this is a program. It will run in the background or you can make the windows pop up. To exit just close out.

Last edited:
Thanks Eric. This is where I downloaded my client: http://www.primegrid.com/forum_thread.php?id=1215

I thought it was a newer client for the project. It looks very similar to the one that is listed on your tools page. Does 4 days sound to long for a completion time for a WU? I just want to make sure that I am doing this right and not wasting time.

I see you showed up in the PRP stats today, so it looks like it's working. It sounds slow to me but I think the work varies in size, and you got some nice points, so it's all good.

Perhaps we could do a push in RNA World for August if they add it. I'd be up for that.

Looks like Aqua@home dropped out of the list. Due to this we are currently 9th for the DC-Vault!

Finally made 9th place! The Commandos should be very proud of this accomplishment. Looks like we are only about 1,000 points out of 8th. :D Crunch Hard!

It's been a steep hill to climb but we finally made it. Looking forward to 8th and 7th.
Great job everyone!

Anybody tried the new 6.12.33 version of BOINC? I just upgraded, and the new Notices tab is weird. Where can I see the old Messages data?

Anybody tried the new 6.12.33 version of BOINC? I just upgraded, and the new Notices tab is weird. Where can I see the old Messages data?
Select the "Advanced" menu item and select "Event Log..." - I hope that is what your looking for.
I been using 6.12.33 for a while and seems stable.

Back