Silverstone FT03... matx

kencheeto

2[H]4U
Buh? Link goes to the first of several photos of Silverstone's FT03 they showed at Computex. Interesting design, the airflow actually looks well planned out. I'm hoping the white plastic gets changed (especially on the side, where it looks tacky) so it won't look like a combo trash can/fridge :)

Needless to say I'm pleased that Silverstone is going matx with the FT series, especially with a fresh and original design. This is why SS is top 5 in my favorite case manufacturers.

This case looked ridicoulous! (in a good way) I love how they've really tried to do some 'innovation' of the case design. Definitely keeping my eye out on this case.

While very interesting, it still look like a mess inside, I'll wait and see what the final version looks like

Certainly an interesting case... I will definately look forward to this (and pricing!!!).

While very interesting, it still look like a mess inside, I'll wait and see what the final version looks like

I totally agreed with you at first. After I checked closer how the case is laid out, it actually makes a lot of sense. Airflow is great (look at those dedicated CPU/GPU flow patterns!) so cabling is something we'll have to see about..

I totally agreed with you at first. After I checked closer how the case is laid out, it actually makes a lot of sense. Airflow is great (look at those dedicated CPU/GPU flow patterns!) so cabling is something we'll have to see about..

I mean I can see a lot of "workaround" inside the case. 3 of the fans mount needs to have angle so 120mm fans can be used instead of directly mounting on the shell, this will certainly reduce the efficiency.

Is there an optical drive bay?

yup, above the PSU and beneath the 120mm angled fan. It looks like that silver line on the outside of the front of the chassis. Only slot loading laptop DVD drive can be used I'm afraid.

I like it but seems there are 3 issues.

1. SLI or Cross Fire. Cross Fire HD5970 or possibly even HD 5870 definitely doesn't seem like possible unless shroud/fan can be taken out if needed.

2. Intake for CPU heatsink is right above(unless I'm mistaken) PSU exhaust. it's really not ambient temp that CPU gets but warmed up air from PSU

3. Don't know exact size but it looks pretty tall for matx

I like it but seems there are 3 issues.

1. SLI or Cross Fire. Cross Fire HD5970 or possibly even HD 5870 definitely doesn't seem like possible unless shroud/fan can be taken out if needed.

2. Intake for CPU heatsink is right above(unless I'm mistaken) PSU exhaust. it's really not ambient temp that CPU gets but warmed up air from PSU

3. Don't know exact size but it looks pretty tall for matx

My opinion:

1. The 120mm fan "mount" below the graphic card seems removeble, there is a pic of the bottom of the case, you can see 2 holes of maybe 60mm fans, so I assume if you want to have a 2nd graphic card, you can simply remove the 120mm fan mount and add to smaller fans at the bottom of the case.

2. I agree with you, this will be a problem

3. It seems that the hight of FT03 is at least as the length as my Lanbox Lite, but shorter compare to the length as other tower matx cases

Stupid me! Dimensions was right there.

For comparison:

SG03 7.87"x12.28"x14.17"
FT03 9.25"x11.18"x19"

Pretty much wider and taller(5"!) than SG03.

One thing(or two if you like the look of FT03) that is definitely better than SG03 is that it should fit most of tower heatsink without mod not like SG03.

similar ideas as i had when i made my case . not to bad of a effort on thier part but they should look at the case i made and get some ideas how to make it easier

DSCN0637.JPG

sorry for the off topic dont mean to hijack this thread . the ideas is similar to what i have done

Jen

similar ideas as i had when i made my case . not to bad of a effort on thier part but they should look at the case i made and get some ideas how to make it easier

DSCN0637.JPG

sorry for the off topic dont mean to hijack this thread . the ideas is similar to what i have done

Jen

Eeek, glad they didn't take any inspiration from that...

DSCN0637.JPG

Jen

I like your case a lot Jen, that is almost exactly what a space-saving case should be laid out as.

I wonder how cables are routed though. Like DVI, USB for keyboard and mouse etc. Hope is not from top because it would kill the look. I wish/hope they have made some opening internally to route them to bottom. If other wise, there's power cable on bottom and whole lot of cable coming out from top. Basically cables coming out from everywhere.

It is from the top, however there is a cover that blocks all that and it's routed to the rear of the case. That's how all the new 90 degree Silverstone cases do it. Kinda slick and unique, not sure if I like the design though.

Just got a reply from Silverstone, FT03 is still on track for november/december release. Ugh..

If this is the FT03, what are they going to do about an aluminum, subtle version of the RV03?

The recent pre-production FT03 was demonstrated in Taiwan. With only one hot-swap HDD bay and seems no SSD holder, makes it less attractive, but the price may drop :(

yup, i am a massive SST fan, and love the concept, but it looks like a nightmare to build/maintain.

Those pictures are actually very encouraging from my standpoint- I have no need for hotswap bays. The modified optical slot looks much better, though that eject button is still iffy.

The more they can remove/simplify and reduce cost, the happier I'll be.

They did also install two bottom fans backwards in their prototype, which is kind of silly :p

Yup, getting rid of that chrome makes optical slot look much better. It's actually one of thing that I hoped SS make changes to but that button just messes up the whole thing. It really kills simple look. Just getting rid of that button alone, I'm more than happy to deal with right click and eject. Well, I can deal with no OD at all too. :)

Things I still don't like is that where PSU exhaust, cable comes out from top instead of having some sort of channel to route cables internally and have it come out from bottom and I liked look of older top better.

Seems SS have removed eject button and chrome trim for ODD for production model. Nice move! Makes me want to get this. Sucks I'm still doing SG06 project. :(

I see 3 levels of FAIL for what could be a perfect mATX case.

1.color, why does everything have to look like a damn Apple clone?
2.HDD placement. It does not look like the drives get any active cooling.
3.slot load optical drive. Very limiting choice of drives. (I personally loath slot load)

Hi folks. This is my first reply in this forum, although I've been following you for quite some time.

It seems somebody got a final version (or so it seems) of the FT03...and its wonderful!

ImageResizer.ashx

ImageResizer.ashx

http://www.atomicmpc.com.au/Gallery/236975,silverstone-fortress-ft03-case-a-fridge-too-far.aspx/1

I dont actually like the "plastic" thingy (top and side) because it kind of ruins the whole design...but otherwise it seems a fantastic case. If the final version comes with that shitty white plastic then...I'll have to get one in white so that part does not ruin the whole thing.

Anybody got any other news about it? I was also checking on the Silverstone page and could only get a reference into one of the products (a slot load DVD-rom), but nothing else. Lets see what kind of price they set...but I don't actually expect it to be cheap...

This actually looks pretty good to me. I bit on the $60 shipped Antec Mini P180 deal a while back but we'll see how much this costs. Nice find!

What actually worries me are the HDDs (how to cool'em) as it seems almost an impossible thing to improve because somehow they "forgot" about them, and to me it seems like a really easy to solve: just put the upper fan in the middle of the two secions (main chamber and HDD one) so you get airflow on both) or do that thing with the lower fan.
As it is they will fry: as we speak I have a couple HDD's in the case, and another one just on top of it (Seagate 7200.11 1.5TB 7.2k rpm). The temperature of the ones inside (with a fan directly in fron of them) sits around 27-33ºC (both 7.2k rpm)...while the one on top sits at a staggering 45ºC (room temperature should sit around 22ºC). Imagine inside a case with no airflow...and a couple other HDDs together. Not good...not good at all; even with a single 5.4rpm it is likely to have overheating issues.

Mmmmmmm. I can't imagine how could they miss such a thing when designing the case, seriously. Not only the heat goes nowhere...also you have to add the one from the whole case. Not good...nope.

I'm going to send SST and e-mail and see if there are going to be any changes in the final release...

I have a couple 2tb 5400rpm drives to put in it, I wonder how the temps on those will be.

Does your case have the aluminum plate that's supposed to cool your hotswap drive?

Hi guys, check this video out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiJzo89eayg

Our R&D team built a fanless system with the FT03 after they completed regular thermal testing. It'll be a good guide for those looking to build a silent system with this great looking case!

Back