Reccomendations for Home Router/Switch

Hallis

Supreme [H]ardness
Hey guys, I'm wanting to re-do my networking hardware and wanted some advice. I'm currently running on an old Linksys WRT54GS with Tomato firmware and an even older Linksys BEFSR41 that im using just for the extra ports.

Currently I have the following devices connected

3x Workstations, 1x NAS, 1x Media Tank (popcorn hour) connected via 10/100 Ethernet

1x Workstation Via 802.11g

In the future I plan on adding at least 1 server (2008 w/ hyper-v) which is being put together bit by bit as we speak.

So there will likely be the need for several more ports that will be needed. So i need something with a port count greater than 8, gigabit ethernet, and ideally something that includes 802.11g or n. I'd like to also include a more robust firewall later like a pfsense or something.

It can be either Rack mount or desktop form factor but I would like to keep things fairly tidy so If we can find something that can connect all the cables to the back that would be a plus..

So in a nutshell

16+ gigabit ports
router
802.11g/n

that's what i need. If i have to purchase several devices I will. Id just like to keep things looking neatly stacked if i can. which is why ive stuck with the good ol Linksys stuff so long. But i'm tired of doing network transfers at 100mbt.

I don't have a very large budget for this either so the cheaper i can get out the better if i can find something on ebay/craigslist.

Shane

Edit: and before everybody jumps off the deep end i did look over the sticky about the routers. But i need mucho ports and wanted to find out of there was something maybe a little more pro-grade but not $1000

Last edited:
IMHO the best overall router going right now is the NetGear WNDR-3700.

Well what you could do, possibly - pickup a firebox x700 or what have you, and throw pfsense on it. You can also add a mini-pci wireless card in it, giving you your wireless AP.

That is one device that is now rackable, then you can pickup a dell connect switch which is gigabyte, and there you go. I do not think you are worried about gigabyte speeds from the switch to the router itself.

Well what you could do, possibly - pickup a firebox x700 or what have you, and throw pfsense on it. You can also add a mini-pci wireless card in it, giving you your wireless AP.

That is one device that is now rackable, then you can pickup a dell connect switch which is gigabyte, and there you go. I do not think you are worried about gigabyte speeds from the switch to the router itself.

Now those are the kind of answers im looking for CiscoInside :) I'll start doing a little research into the Firebox.

Larry I did take a look at the Netgear but it's not what im looking for overall.

pick up a Cisco ASA and an access point or two ( the ASA has2 PoE ports on it) and then just wire the AP's into your house wherever needed. Hook up a 24 port switch off the ASA and you're set.

Not sure what your budget is though

I like the Dell powerconnect switches, I have a 2724 at the house and 3 at the office.

For a router, I would check out the Asus RT-N16 and put dd-wrt on it, otherwise look into untangle or another linux distro.

Untangle will add an additional layer of protection for malware & antivirus along with qos.

Just remember Untangle, which is a great piece of software, does require some resources for it to go. I currently have pfsense as my router/firewall and use an untangle box for my UTM. Have that set up at some of my clients who have a hardware firewalll in place already, Untangle behind it running on some good hardware.

It is really what you need and/or want that will decide.

Last edited:
Just remember Untangle, which is a great piece of software, does require some resources for it to go. I currently have pfsense as my router/firewall and use an untangle box for my UTM. Have that set up at some of my clients who have a hardware firewalll in place already, Untangle behind it running on some good hardware.

It is really what you need and/or want that will decide.

It depends on what you are doing with untangle. If it is a hand full of users you can get by with a low end celeron/p4 processor, and even an atom box. Get into more users with more of the apps, and you are looking at a higher end p4. Get into 100+ users with the paid services, you are getting into core 2 duo with 2+gigs of ram. It depends on what you plan to do.

IMO, it is not that hard on resources. For the last year+ I have been running it on a p4 2.4ghz with 2gb ram and a 250gig ide drive. I use everything free but the captive portal. 5 users on openvpn, 18 users behind it, all web/mail is filtered through it.

The biggest thing is to use quality hardware. Intel nice, Intel mobo, Intel cpu. This combo for me just works. I do run it in an esxi VM at the house, the users are less, however, the traffic is MUCH MUCH higher.

For the op, I would find a 2.0ghz p4 with a gig of ram, a pair of intel nics, and a decent sized hard drive, and call it good.

I thought about building my own firewall/ router etc etc, but it sucks up to much power, then i talked to my new boss, and he bought me a sonic wall tz100 with wireless N and gateway av & spyware & spam.

I thought about building my own firewall/ router etc etc, but it sucks up to much power, then i talked to my new boss, and he bought me a sonic wall tz100 with wireless N and gateway av & spyware & spam.

Your firrewall sucks up too much of my it budget every year on renewals. Seriously though, a desktop idling is a drop in the bucket.

Your firrewall sucks up too much of my it budget every year on renewals. Seriously though, a desktop idling is a drop in the bucket.

And how much do you pay for a firewall av software at the gateway on a built box ?

Never heard of any good words about that firewall either.

The TZ1x0 series are pure crap, even sonicwall admits they never wanted to build them because they knew from the start that it was going to be nothing but problematic.

The TZ2x0 series are pretty good, but for that money it is better to just jump to a NSA2400.

Personally you sound like OP has similar needs to what I setup my network around.

1x Firebox x700 (pfSense v2 Beta 3)
2x Dell powerconnect 5324 (slightly more expensive then the 2724, however has a better feature set IMO)
2x Linksys WRT310n (Running DD-WRT setup as WAPs only. 1 is on DMZ for guest access, one is privet).

I got the Firebox for $100ish, the Powerconnects for $150ea, and the WRT310ns for $25ea. Overall not a lot of money for a very nice network (If I do say so).

can you back this comment up ?

Looking on untangle website, its 50$ month for the value package which includes.

Includes: Professional Package Kaspersky Virus Blocker eSoft Web Filter WAN Balancer Commtouch Spam Booster.
50 * 12 = 600$ year.
Screen%20shot%202010-06-30%20at%209.09.16%20AM.png

Unless your talking about the free version :
Screen%20shot%202010-06-30%20at%209.09.06%20AM.png

But your not suppose to run this in a business environment.

The TZ1x0 series are pure crap, even sonicwall admits they never wanted to build them because they knew from the start that it was going to be nothing but problematic.

The TZ2x0 series are pretty good, but for that money it is better to just jump to a NSA2400.

Personally you sound like OP has similar needs to what I setup my network around.

1x Firebox x700 (pfSense v2 Beta 3)
2x Dell powerconnect 5324 (slightly more expensive then the 2724, however has a better feature set IMO)
2x Linksys WRT310n (Running DD-WRT setup as WAPs only. 1 is on DMZ for guest access, one is privet).

I got the Firebox for $100ish, the Powerconnects for $150ea, and the WRT310ns for $25ea. Overall not a lot of money for a very nice network (If I do say so).

QFT

Great setup. I have a firebox x1000 I got for 80 bucks and threw pfsense on it. I have not even had the problem with it crashing when using the web interface. How is the beta?

I run a powerconnect 24 port switch, works wonders. I am also installing an untangle box between the firebox and my network, sure wish I could run untangle on a firebox, I have an extra x700 but oh well.

Were are you getting this information from ? What is so bad about these firewalls. ? Got any proof ? I'm not defending them, but i am learning about them, and i got one free so i can learn about it.

can you back this comment up ?

Looking on untangle website, its 50$ month for the value package which includes.

Includes: Professional Package Kaspersky Virus Blocker eSoft Web Filter WAN Balancer Commtouch Spam Booster.
50 * 12 = 600$ year.
Screen%20shot%202010-06-30%20at%209.09.16%20AM.png

Unless your talking about the free version :
Screen%20shot%202010-06-30%20at%209.09.06%20AM.png

But your not suppose to run this in a business environment.

What do you mean your not supposed to run this in a business environment? As per the license? Untangle itself is opensource, and they have both opensource packages and paid packages. I do not see anywhere that it states the opensource packages cannot be used in a business environment. The paid packages are different paid apps, with more "juice".

What do you mean your not supposed to run this in a business environment? As per the license? Untangle itself is opensource, and they have both opensource packages and paid packages. I do not see anywhere that it states the opensource packages cannot be used in a business environment. The paid packages are different paid apps, with more "juice".

I just assumed, sorry :eek: In the past never seen software for free that can be used and is as powerful as this one.

Why is every one bashing the sonic walls ?

I guess i should get off my ass and install one of these softwares on my empty box and play with it.

I'm downloading untangle_7331_x32.iso right now to try this.

Were are you getting this information from ? What is so bad about these firewalls. ? Got any proof ? I'm not defending them, but i am learning about them, and i got one free so i can learn about it.

The TZ1x0 and the SSLVPN 200s are the two sonicwalls I hate because they are vastly underpowered for what they claim they can do. I put in a TZ170 at a client that has 8 users and 1 server that need to get to the internet (so 1 short of max connections). Even doing standard email, and web surfing we have had to restart it at least once a week. Sonicwall have replaced the device 3 times now and each one have had the same problems.

I just assumed, sorry :eek: In the past never seen software for free that can be used and is as powerful as this one.

Why is every one bashing the sonic walls ?

I guess i should get off my ass and install one of these softwares on my empty box and play with it.

I'm downloading untangle_7331_x32.iso right now to try this.

No need to be sorry, we are all learning. Go ahead and play with it, its fun. While you are at it, try pfsense as well.

I found myself a Firebox and am going to install pfsense on it and start from there. There are provisions for a Mini-PCI wireless card to act as an AP so i'm going to try that. If that doesn't work out i'll try Untangle in a VM. Or even on one of those tiny little Atom 330 units i saw at Fry's.

I found myself a Firebox and am going to install pfsense on it and start from there. There are provisions for a Mini-PCI wireless card to act as an AP so i'm going to try that. If that doesn't work out i'll try Untangle in a VM. Or even on one of those tiny little Atom 330 units i saw at Fry's.

I have a mini-pci wireless card from a laptop, ran the antenna out of the box. Go through pfsense hardware forums, there is information on installing it on that box.

Easiest way for me was to hook up a pci video card, make my own keyboard connector, and hook up a cd-rom to the IDE channel and boot from there and install it.

Also, they have information on how to get the LCD to work.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Just remember that the x500, x700, x1000, x2500 are all the same hardware but the licensing are different.

Yep so don't be afraid to pick up the cheapest model you can find because for our purposes they are all the same.

Exactly. Also look for the e series I believe? Don't they have the e750 which has better hardware and giga ports?

Exactly. Also look for the e series I believe? Don't they have the e750 which has better hardware and giga ports?

Its actually the x750e, which would definitely be the better choice over the x700 (GigE ports, more RAM, better processor) however the x750e are still in their support lifecycle so they would be harder to find for cheap.

alright ill install untangle on one drive and pfsense on the other and try them both, ( of course not at same time )

Can any one recommend a box that i can buy, ie a firebox on ebay ?

Maybe this one ?

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Firebox-X5-Edge-...ultDomain_0&hash=item3caea60565#ht_500wt_1154

of this one ?

http://cgi.ebay.ca/WS-FIREBOX-X500-...ultDomain_2&hash=item2a082cd05a#ht_1053wt_913

Dont know much about the X5 but your second link is a little too expensive, plus note the shipping cost, which is over twice what it should be. Should be ~$20-25 to ship. And Canada, unless you are also in canada, means it will take forever to get to you, With questionable tracking options. you can get an X500 X700 for $50 + another $20 to ship. Be patient

sorry to have taken over the thread, i just installed configured and have untangle up and running all the free dashboards running :) now to install a switch tonight and see if my macbok pro will work on it over ethernet etc etc,

Can any one recommend me a WAP device for this type of setup now ?

It will go like this.

cable modem, 4 port switch < apple airport extreme for home wireless
and the other port on the switch will go to the untangle box then another switch for my server and other things, but would like a wap device i can plug into the second switch behind the untangle device.

IM LEARNING STUFF :)

be sure to post pics

PICTURES!! yes i love pictures :)

Free intel 24 port switch, that i got, but going to throw it in the garbage soon, the fans are driving me nuts already.

P1040003.JPG

Untangle box, cd rom that's in the dell machine is fawked so i had to use a new one, will put it inside the box tommorrow.

P1040004.JPG

Windows 2003 server, APC ups. 250gig usb drive that i use for server backup for now. Shaw home phone on bottom of shelf.
P1040005.JPG

5 port switch im using because i have 2 ip's from shaw. One is going to the apple router, one is going to the untangle box :)
P1040006.JPG

Apple router and phone and shaw cable modem.
P1040007.JPG

Macbook pro hard wired to the intel switch.
P1040008.JPG

Screen shot of the software running :)
Screen%20shot%20untangle.png

its all crappy hardware for now, till i have some $$ to buy a new switch a 16 port gig switch for the house. New NAS device. etc etc more goodies coming :)

Now to learn about vlans, id really like to setup 3 vlans, one wireless vlan and one hard wire vlan, and one vlan just for the server.

sorry to have taken over the thread, i just installed configured and have untangle up and running all the free dashboards running :) now to install a switch tonight and see if my macbok pro will work on it over ethernet etc etc,

Can any one recommend me a WAP device for this type of setup now ?

It will go like this.

cable modem, 4 port switch < apple airport extreme for home wireless
and the other port on the switch will go to the untangle box then another switch for my server and other things, but would like a wap device i can plug into the second switch behind the untangle device.

IM LEARNING STUFF :)

asus rt-n16 w/ dd-wrt? Oh, and no matter what you do, it should work on your mac, nix, or doze box.

The fireboxes are popular because you can reflash them with pfsense.

orly.I do not know if I would have the need for that but it sounds like something that I would like to do.

What's the average price of these devices?

Untangle box, cd rom that's in the dell machine is fawked so i had to use a new one, will put it inside the box tommorrow.

P1040004.JPG

Looks like my untangle box from the office! Winxp pro coa and all!

For the house, if you replace the hardware look into those atom boxes. Should be enough for at home. I am trying to find some semi-cheap pizza box sized servers, I'd like to set one up at home and at the office for just untangle. I use esxi at home for untangle and all my servers, so its like 6 servers in 1. Then I got a whs box which is basically network storage.

asus rt-n16 w/ dd-wrt? Oh, and no matter what you do, it should work on your mac, nix, or doze box.

orly.I do not know if I would have the need for that but it sounds like something that I would like to do.

What's the average price of these devices?

It is actually a cool setup, I like it because it keeps everything nice and neat in a small 1u package. Most people have been able to get theirs for around 50 or so with 20 dollars shipping, I picked up mine for 80 bucks which to me is not bad. I would stay with the x500,700 or 1000 but as others say they are all the same hardware, just the software from watchguard limits it.

But who cares, we use pfsense ;)

Take a gander at this thread: http://forum.pfsense.org/index.php/topic,7458.0.html

For installation, take the advice off the last couple of pages, they have updated some, which includes the LCD Drivers.

It is actually a cool setup, I like it because it keeps everything nice and neat in a small 1u package. Most people have been able to get theirs for around 50 or so with 20 dollars shipping, I picked up mine for 80 bucks which to me is not bad. I would stay with the x500,700 or 1000 but as others say they are all the same hardware, just the software from watchguard limits it.

But who cares, we use pfsense ;)

Take a gander at this thread: http://forum.pfsense.org/index.php/topic,7458.0.html

For installation, take the advice off the last couple of pages, they have updated some, which includes the LCD Drivers.

LCD is kinda neat. Fire truck red is not. However, I work for a coating company. I coudl get the blastic done in black and the metal in whatever color.

I know what I am going to do for a new project,

Back