COD Black Ops Eyefinity Support, yes or no

darren700

Limp Gawd
Hey, just want a confirmation from someone with the game already, does eyefinity actually work correctly with this game? I just want to know for sure from some credible source as google has been no help... Not gonna be buying if it doesn't work.

thanks

You can't play Black Ops until tomorrow unless you live in Australia or something. (As I understand it.) In any case I'd bet on it supporting Eyefinity given that the last game did.

The last game (MW2) did not support it without a third party software called "widescreen fixer" which i failed to get working :mad:

You can't play Black Ops until tomorrow unless you live in Australia or something. (As I understand it.) In any case I'd bet on it supporting Eyefinity given that the last game did.

But the last game didn't...

Although the 'last treyarch COD game' was WaW and the 'last COD game' was MW2... and before that it was MW1

And none of them did natively.

I tried it in a 2x30" Eyefinity setup for the hell of it and it worked fine. I didn't have any issues with it. Now the FOV was messed up, but it did work. I never used any third party application to get it working.

I tried it in a 2x30" Eyefinity setup for the hell of it and it worked fine. I didn't have any issues with it. Now the FOV was messed up, but it did work. I never used any third party application to get it working.

2x30" or 3x30"? Lanscape or Portrait?

If the FoV was messed up then it's not working properly...

MW1, MW2, and WaW all use the widescreen fixer to get triple wide working properly.

isn't a messed up fov the very definition of a game *not* having proper eyefinity support?
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

2x30" or 3x30"? Lanscape or Portrait?

If the FoV was messed up then it's not working properly...

MW1, MW2, and WaW all use the widescreen fixer to get triple wide working properly.

It was landscape and it detected the resolution with no issues.

isn't a messed up fov the very definition of a game *not* having proper eyefinity support?

I didn't bother trying to adjust it or anything. It was just one of those things I tried and didn't like. I'd love to have proper Eyefinity support going, but sadly I don't have a third monitor yet.

i tried nvidia surround and it's detected but looks stretched. It sucks IMO.

Not the way its meant to be played.

And Dopefish say's he's ready to do so. but it sucks that even with the WSF the menu will still be out of whack. It's so hard to navigate with it all stretched out. It's really hard to understand why they cant put the game out with support for surround and eyefinity. is it really that hard to do

Pretty much, at eyefinity based aspect ratios, if you're not correcting FOV to match then it's basically unplayable. All Horz+ games should handle this OK as long as there isn't a low limit to FOV in the game.

It is no different from MW2. i.e. no support whatsoever.

There is no way I'm playing this, wondering if I'll get VAC banned all the time for using a FOV hack.

aRGH this is unacceptable, how can a new game not support new technologies like this that many people now utilize! very aggravating

Bah, back to BC2. Widescreenfixer by Dopefish works in CoD4, but I'm always worried about getting PB banned for it.

I've use widescreenfixer for years. I have over 50 steam games. Never been banned... ever! I currently run 3 x Eyefinity.

Never banned on a COD game ! My friends all run eyefinity. They've never been banned.

Widescreenfixer has been used to properly adjust Field of View in most of the COD games. This isn't new. Widescreenfixer has profiles for COD 2, 4, 5 and MW2 without banning anybody.

Dopefish will release a profile for COD Black Ops. I'll use it. I won't get banned. Folks who who don't have multiple monitors or don't know what they are talking about will enjoy the game just fine on a single monitor.

I actually contacted Punkbuster about the widescreenfixer, and they said that they have no problem with it for COD4.

Now on VAC, people have been banned on MW2 for using widescreenfixer. This may be because you need the console enabled, so it might work for Black Ops as they are keeping the console I believe, but I'm not taking the chance.

Seems my days of COD are over, I just can't bring myself to play on only one screen anymore. I made that mistake with Starcraft 2, and after beating the single player I haven't touched it since.

There is an FOV slider in the options menu and it should see the "larger" resolutions with en Eyefinity setup now. Looks like built in Eyefinity/NV Surround support to me. It may or may not be enough FOV adjustment for some setups, but I'll have to wait and see when my copy arrives.

I briefly messed around with it before heading off to work. Some tripple monitor resolutions were listed, but none of my 1080p ones, looks like the resolution list has a finite length, so that not all will show depending on how many you have. Picking the highest one I had (4230x900 I think) and setting the fov to the highest setting still looked stretched out. I left aspect ratio set to auto, maybe manually changing things will make a difference. Also gonna have to find the correct config file with resolution to manually change to my 3x1080p resolution.

BTW: First headline

http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/

@CrazyRob: 5760x1080 shows up fine for me. Unfortunately I only have about an hour before I have to leave so I can only test maybe the first level in SP.

EDIT:
Here's a pic from the first level demonstrating what it looks like with the fixer @ 5760x1080. All 2D elements are still stretched (your crosshairs, HUD, and menu). But the game is 100% playable in triple wide now.

As an aside... the textures are atrocious in places. I'm running the game at everything maxed 5760x1080 4xAA right now and it really doesn't measure up to BC2 in terms of graphics.

blackops201011091548481.jpg

Last edited:
OK, so it works, but now the question is can we safetly use this in multiplayer? I have read of people getting VAC banned (MW2) for using it? I played a bit of MW2 MP today and got Wide-screen Fixer working but did not get banned. Anyone here got banned or know of someone who has for using this fix?

OK, so it works, but now the question is can we safetly use this in multiplayer? I have read of people getting VAC banned (MW2) for using it? I played a bit of MW2 MP today and got Wide-screen Fixer working but did not get banned. Anyone here got banned or know of someone who has for using this fix?

You won't be banned for 3 months. They have to catch you using the fixer 3 times, and then they will wait until they have a big list of people, and mass ban you all.

VAC doesn't ban like punkbuster, you won't know till the ban hammer drops.

This was really the number one reason I sold off my eyefinity setup. Well that and no games really support it with out some kind of fix that may or may not work the next time you loud the game or might ban you from using the game again, oh wait that is almost the same reason.

I enjoy playing games better on my HP 30r

Now on VAC, people have been banned on MW2 for using widescreenfixer. This may be because you need the console enabled, so it might work for Black Ops as they are keeping the console I believe, but I'm not taking the chance.

Is there proof or is that just something you've heard?

Is there proof or is that just something you've heard?

There won't be any proof until the ban hammer drops. Right now people are using a widescreen fixer by a guy named Hayden to do Black Ops, I'm not sure how that one works and the use at your own risk statement should be paid attention to. Dopefish is right now trying to figure it out, and he is the guy who figured out how to make the widescreen fixer work with Punkbuster. But you see, he was able to ask questions of Punkbuster.

But now we are talking about VAC, and VAC doesn't respond to emails. When I had a question about the widescreen fixer for WaW and COD4, Glenn from Punkbuster was happy to let me know it wasn't going to get me banned.

So like I said, with VAC we won't know until the ban hammer drops. And they wait months building up a list of people to ban before they drop it.

So like I said, with VAC we won't know until the ban hammer drops. And they wait months building up a list of people to ban before they drop it.

Maybe there won't be enough people using it to drop the ban hammer? (wishful thinking).

Maybe there won't be enough people using it to drop the ban hammer? (wishful thinking).

I really have no clue how VAC works, and since they won't talk, no one else does. VAC was never meant to be used on this engine, which is why MW2 was hacker central, what they have done to address that problem is anyones guess. Some people got banned for using widescreen fixer on MW2, and some didn't.

It's basically a game of Russian Roulette.

Seeing as how I spent over 5 years being called a hacker, with the same CD keys which never logged a single violation, I don't want to suddenly get VAC banned and have everyone turn around and use it as proof I'm a hacker.

I'd rather stick to COD4, and hope the newer versions of the DICE Frostbite engine start moving in the direction we want. Such as modding tools.

I've been using Dopefish's Widescreen fixer and it works great. I'll roll the dice on this one...again.

I believe dopefish has the fixer up now. I have use it for mw2 for a long time and never had an issue but as u said. Hackers ran all over vac in that game so not suprising it didn't get flagged if it were considered a cheat. My point with it and I'm sure everyone else agrees is that the game already supports the resolution it just looks like crap. The fixer cleans it up without giving you an "edge" over the next guy. I know people say "you can see more than others and that's an edge" but like I said the 5760x1080 (in my case) is already in the game and usable. It just isn't polished. How is that cheating.

Yeah, I got it working with the widescreen fixer too, however, I'm still unable to select 5760x1080 (or 5960x1080 with bezel correction) or even just regular 1920x1080. My guess is that Surroundview setup created too many resolutions for Black Ops to handle, causing several to not appear. Anyone know what config file has the resolutions stored in it so i can edit by hand?

*edit* nevermind, found the settings in the config and config_mp files

Correction, I found the setting, however changing it by hand causes the resolution to drop back to 800x600. Anyone out there using Nvidia surround having better luck?

Hmm now i dont know what to do. I want to take the gamble and just use widescreen fixer and buy the game, but if i get VAC banned, does that prevent me from playing all games that use VAC or only that game you were banned from?

If your using the fixer you shouldnt have to change file info. Just set the normal res in game and run the fixer (make sure you enable it with whatever key you have it bound to) it does the rest

@darren700. From my understanding if you get banned (hypothetically) not saying you will. It would ban you from all games that use that engine i.e if your were banned from TF2 you would be banne from all source engine games but I'm not 100% positive. I've just read that somewhere on the steam forums

If your using the fixer you shouldnt have to change file info. Just set the normal res in game and run the fixer (make sure you enable it with whatever key you have it bound to) it does the rest

Their issue is that they can't find their normal res in game.

Mine has been chugging along fine in SP so far with Hayden's fixer. Interestingly, 4xAA gives better performance than no AA. There are so many performance anomalies on the steam forums it's not even funny.

Direct from steam website:

Valve games

The Valve Anti-Cheat system is enabled for servers displaying the Secured shield logo. Using custom skins, sounds or maps and playing multi-player mods which do not modify core .EXE and .DLL files will not result in a VAC ban

Cheating in a Source Engine game that was released prior to Left 4 Dead will result in a VAC ban from Counter-Strike: Source, Half-Life 2: Deathmatch, Day of Defeat: Source, and Team Fortress 2.

Cheating in a Gold Source engine game will result in a VAC ban from Counter-Strike, Condition Zero, Ricochet, Day of Defeat, Team Fortress Classic, Half-Life: Deathmatch, and Deathmatch Classic
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2

VAC is enabled on all multiplayer servers, public and private. Any modifications to the game other than editing config files can result in a VAC ban. Examples of such modifications include console enablers, VAC disablers, and server hosting mods.

A VAC ban in Modern Warfare 2 only affects Modern Warfare 2.

so it seems to me, that if you do get banned in black ops, it will only be for Black Ops and possible MW2, thats definately ok with me.. now is this game really worth it... hmm decisions decisions

Back