Router as AP at College

Yoshmaista

Limp Gawd
Maybe you guys can help me here, as I was having a problem.

I'm trying to set up a NetGear Wireless G router just as an access point at my college. The techies said that I could as long as I put a WEP key on it and make it private, just so you don't get on me for doing something that is frowned upon.

I first plug my one computer into the router LAN ports, and I configure it to use an IP address like 192.168.1.99 so I'm able to connect to it once I connect it to the school network. So I change it to 192.168.1.99, turn off DHCP (so it doesn't assign me a LAN IP). So, afterwards, I take the otherLAN cable, and string it from the jack in the wall to one of the LAN ports in the router (I know it's not supposed to go into the WAN port).

The problem lies within the wireless. It seems that right when I plug in the school connection to the router, the wireless is almost "disabled", as if it just doesn't broadcast it. Also, I'm not able to login to the router at 192.168.1.99, even after I changed it. One more thing is that if I have my laptop hardwired into the router, and the school connection is also there, I can browse the net and such just fine. So it seems something is up with the wireless, or something is happening to the router IP address so I can't get back in there to enable/disable settings and such. Do I need to change the router IP address to something in the schools IP range? (For the record, I think it's 172.16.32.xx. 172.16.32.32 is their gateway)

Any help is appreciated.

the model number of the NetGear is the WGR614, and I have followed all the guides posted by Netgear to make this router an access point. I just get held up at the "change the router IP to 192.168.1.99. You will then lose connection because the IP has changed". I then enter 192.168.1.99, and I can't access it anymore.

If you need any clarification if this is confusing, just ask!

Thanks a bunch guys

Right, your getting an IP from your school and it's possible though unlikely it will be on the same subnet as your AP. Don't play around with a network IP/address on the same network as your schools. Just go into TCP/IP advance properties and add a secondary IP on the same segment as your AP. This will allow you to configure the AP IF your associated and communicating with the AP. Are you getting a IP on the college's address scheme on that problem machine?

I am getting a college IP when I'm wired into the router along with the college connection also in the router. Just the wireless and re-accessing the router is the problem.

I see what your saying now. Go to TCP / IP > Properties > Advanced > IP Addresses > and add one in the 192.168.1.xx so I can access the router (which I have set to 192.168.1.99)

However, any idea how to do this with OS X? If I need to, I'll bring a windows machine to do this, or borrow one. Would I probably do it in "DHCP with manual address"?, and then enter in 192.168.1.xx? Or would I do it just totally "manual" where I enter in the router, subnet mask, and IP address.

Thanks for all the help KT Web!

I figured out how to do it in Mac OS X. You just needed to add another connection using the Built In Ethernet, and then just manually assign it a router IP address so I could get back into the router. Everything is working great! Thanks a bunch!

Back