Tuniq Tower 120 Vs Thermalright Ultra 120....@ 4ghz

orion23

Gawd
So I don't want to make some nice graph to show you my results...

THESE ARE NOT ORTHOS STABLE RESULTS, HOWEVER, GENERAL GAMING, BROWSING, MUSIC, ENCODING, IS STABLE

But, I got a Tuniq Tower 120 to Replace my Thermalright Ultra 120 hoping to get lower temperatures since most people have gotten great results using it.

@ 3.8ghz.. 1.42V (In Windows)

Thermalright Ultra 120

Idle 30c
Load 48c

Tuniq Tower 120

Idle 37c
Load 52c

@ 4ghz 1.5V (In Windows)

Thermalright Ultra 120

Idle 37c
Load 55c

Tuniq Tower 120

Idle 45c
Load 58c

Right now, I'm bringing cold air from outside into my case and these are the results @ 4ghz

Thermalright Ultra 120

Idle 25c

Tuniq Tower 120

Idle 31c

4ghz%2025c.JPG

Yeah, same fan speeds. about 1500 RPM each.

And I thought the Tuniq would be better, my brother got awesome results with it, most people that use it love it, but for me, I got better results with the Thermalright Ultra 120.

Remember, I had the Thermalright, then replaced it with a Tuniq, then went back to the Thermalright Ultra 120, so the test was run twice with the same results.

BTW, I use ceramique, applied with a thin line down the middle of the CPU.

now i dont know if to go with the tuniq or the thermalright on my QX6700
zalman 9500 isnt just for quads,then again there should be new coolers out for quads dont you think??

That's awesome. There haven't been enough Ultra-120 v Tuniq tests around. I'm hoping also the guy who just tested the Tuniq at AT puts the Ultra-120 through its paces.

Curious also, was this open-case with a table fan, was the Tuniq oriented to exhaust towards the back of the case or top?

Inside a case with and without a side window.

Both coolers were oriented towards the rear 120mm exhaust fan.

Definitely good to know. I ordered the Tuniq yesterday >.< Even if I hadn't, I think either way you go you'll be really well off. Obviously in your rig the Thermalright solution works better, but the temperatures of both heatsinks are phenomenal, especially at 4ghz. Thanks for doing the test though.

How are people suprised? Thermalright Ultra 120 is a great heatsink, and the temps vary on alot of different things. Tuniq was never king of the hill.

yeahhhhahahaha Ultra 120 FTW!!!

next week on hardforum: The ultra 120 takes on the Champion, The Scythe ninja.

no but seriously, you woulda been far better off getting a high performance delta fan or something, over the tunique tower. as it was tated before, its not the best. never claimed to be.

yeahhhhahahaha Ultra 120 FTW!!!

next week on hardforum: The ultra 120 takes on the Champion, The Scythe ninja.

no but seriously, you woulda been far better off getting a high performance delta fan or something, over the tunique tower. as it was tated before, its not the best. never claimed to be.

er.... actually the tuniq tower is much cooler then the scythe ninja....

The scythe ninja is just a wannabe tuniq tower. They just didn't make the heatsink sit perfectly around the fan so tuniq couldn't sue them, which is why the tuniq tower is usually 5-12 degrees cooler in all the tests. I'd give you a link but I'm lazy.

Which one does better with that 1500rpm fan running at 7v though?

I can't hear a faun running under 1000rpm, so I need a HSF that's capable of cooling with a fan around there.

Nice! You hook up a dryer hose or something to the window?

Exactly!

DSC06365.JPG

The tuniq it consider by most the world's best AIR Cooler.

In fact, I love it. I built my brother a system using an E6400 OC'd to 3.52ghz using 1.47V and during orthos it only reaches 51c and he only has an 80mm fan pulling in and a 120mm fan in the back.

Unfortunately for my setup, the tuniq did not do any better than my Thermalright Ultra 120 and I also like the way the blue LED fan looks anyway. BTW, it spins @ 1500 RPM only, so it is very quiet!

are you sure the Tuniq is seated properly when you installed it. I used to have the tuniq before I went water and its mounting apparatus was crap.

Everything being equal (mounting, fan, ambient temp), the tuniq should beat the ultra 120 by a far margin.

Exactly!

DSC06365.JPG

The tuniq it consider by most the world's best AIR Cooler.

In fact, I love it. I built my brother a system using an E6400 OC'd to 3.52ghz using 1.47V and during orthos it only reaches 51c and he only has an 80mm fan pulling in and a 120mm fan in the back.

Unfortunately for my setup, the tuniq did not do any better than my Thermalright Ultra 120 and I also like the way the blue LED fan looks anyway. BTW, it spins @ 1500 RPM only, so it is very quiet!

Nice man. If I did that my wife would kill me...

are you sure the Tuniq is seated properly when you installed it. I used to have the tuniq before I went water and its mounting apparatus was crap.

Everything being equal (mounting, fan, ambient temp), the tuniq should beat the ultra 120 by a far margin.

that is what i thought.:eek:

that is what i thought.:eek:

Well, I've had both coolers and tested them both.

I've installed quite few heatsinks before so I'm pretty sure I know what I'm doing.

And this was actually my second tuniq tower installation and the 4 time I played with my Thermalright Ultra 120.

In my case, I get better results using the Thermalright Ultra 120!

crap man, the tuniq tower has been defeated?

defeated? I dont think it was never on top.

heck, at first I was using the Zalman 9700 LED cooler w/ load temps in the 52C to 55C range. so I figured I'd try this almighty Tuniq Tower that everyone is boasting about. so I spent $55 or so and tried it out. my load temps are now in the 55C to 58C range. heh, so much for all this Tuniq hoopla and whatnot...

I'll be switching back to my 9700 cooler and selling my Tuniq Tower as soon as I get the change to swap everything over.

defeated? I dont think it was never on top.

heck, at first I was using the Zalman 9700 LED cooler w/ load temps in the 52C to 55C range. so I figured I'd try this almighty Tuniq Tower that everyone is boasting about. so I spent $55 or so and tried it out. my load temps are now in the 55C to 58C range. heh, so much for all this Tuniq hoopla and whatnot...

I'll be switching back to my 9700 cooler and selling my Tuniq Tower as soon as I get the change to swap everything over.

I got first dibs! :D

But yeah, the 9700 IS cooler then the Tuniq Tower, but only because its fan spins so much faster. At the same RPM's as the Tuniq's fan it's actually a little warmer with its 110mm fan.

Well, that and it's completely made of copper. I'd rather spring for the tuniq tower or the thermalright anyway though, just because the golden sonic the hedgehog look doesn't really do it for me. :D

Like I say everywhere there is a question about coolers

THERMALRIGHT FTW!

Until they start making junk or the competition really gets that much better. I'm biased.

I wonder if Tuniq might've paid someone to write this thread's ranking...?

"Thermalright Ultra-120 (One of the best cpu coolers only a hair behind the Tuniq)"

Or possibly your Tuniq has a damaged pipe or something slipped by QC?
Check this out
. Although again, some advertising dollars could be at work, and do note that the Ultra has a Papst on it against the Tuniq with its stock fan. And it is a lighter load than your 4Gig setup..

Meh, if you hanged around XS you'd know that a hell of a lot more people there purchase Tuniq Towers' than Ultra 120s'--that and I see very little users there report their temps with an Ultra 120, seeing as how not a lot of people there use them.

That guide seriously contains a lot of assumptions and just estimations. Any enthusiast would know what to buy at what price range by regularly reading reviews from trustworthy sites and hanging around here. :p

Interesting, so it could be the case of everyone following someone else off the bridge? Well, I could be at the bottom of the lake as I went with the Tuniq as well, but mainly because my motherboard would have the Ultra-120 situated to blow upwards instead of out of the case like the Tuniq. If the Tuniq hadn't gotten in stock at the time, I definitely would be running the Ultra with a Yate Loon though. Oh well, Tuniq's gotta be better than the stock Opteron 4-pipe cooler :D

Interesting, so it could be the case of everyone following someone else off the bridge? Well, I could be at the bottom of the lake as I went with the Tuniq as well, but mainly because my motherboard would have the Ultra-120 situated to blow upwards instead of out of the case like the Tuniq. If the Tuniq hadn't gotten in stock at the time, I definitely would be running the Ultra with a Yate Loon though. Oh well, Tuniq's gotta be better than the stock Opteron 4-pipe cooler :D

What motherboard is that?

Blowing upwards would actually be favorable for me since I have the antec 900 case, with the 200mm fan on top.

Odd. I had a Tuniq Tower that performed about 5 degrees better than the Ultra-120. I have been on the XS forums and they swear by the Tuniq as do I. That said, the two coolers are so near each other that the overclock is barely affected anyways. I'm using the Ultra-120 because it's not as large, but I also have both.

What motherboard is that?

Blowing upwards would actually be favorable for me since I have the antec 900 case, with the 200mm fan on top.
The DFI CFX3200DR/G which has mounting threads that are above and below the socket. If you don't need Crossfire and use SATA2 drives though, go for the NF4 Expert board that is very similar. The m5288 errors are annoying as all get out.

Quicksilver, that's what is strange. The only way this can be sorted is for more direct comparison data and even then it's subject to environment, case flow, TIM and application, heat source output, and whether or not the person testing broke wind. If there wasn't a Tuniq bandwagon, we may start to see this. I agree completely about the overclockability though. I was pretty close to going H2O until I read into these monster coolers.

im using a zalman 9500 led right now.. just ordered the tuniq tower120.. i will do some tests once it arrives here.... dissappointed to know that the thermalright ultra120 performs better.. since i was gonna choose the thermalright or the tuniq.. went with the tuniq since the reviews "stated" it was the best cooler.. i had a thermalright xp120.. idle for 4200+ is at 36*C .. room temp is around 85degrees fahrenheit :D

The DFI CFX3200DR/G which has mounting threads that are above and below the socket. If you don't need Crossfire and use SATA2 drives though, go for the NF4 Expert board that is very similar. The m5288 errors are annoying as all get out.

Nah I already got my p5n32-e sli, I was just hoping you had one similar so I would know if the heatsink would face up or sideways.

im getting the tuniq for the same board you have the evga 680i .. anything i need to know before i install? how about the backplate? does it clear the chipset or barely? thanks...

Yeah, don't remove the sticky pad cover for the backplate if you ever want to remove or change you cooler. It's pretty much the same with any cpu cooler's back plate. Using the sticky pad holds it there forever:D

GAHH, after all my dedication to the tuniq looks like I might need to get the thermalright ultra 120... the tuniq tower won't fit in my case with the side fan in place, not enough clearance between the tower and the fan. At least thats what my measurements say.

Has anyone used the thermalright ultra 120 or the tuniq tower in the antec 900 case, with the side fan in? I'm open to any other recommendations on what might fit a p5n32-e sli in an antec 900 but still cool well too.

Back