What is a SFF?

What do you think a SFF is?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
By no bigger than a xpack I mean within reason. If a case is slightly larger then no big deal. The main points are that it is a box shape and mobo is flat on floor of the case.

A system thats smaller then a midtower. Based around a uATX or mATX motherboard. You can't have a SFF with a fullsize ATX motherboard, kinda defeats the purpose. However more and more SFF cases have found ways to support full size PSUs. Motherboard orientation does not determine if a system is SFF.

Its designed to make the most out of the smallest space.

SFF cases include Shuttles, the X-Qpack, Alienware's BOT, Coolermaster's Centurion Micro ATX 540 and 541, Silverstone's Sugos and LC series that are limited to mATX support.

I voted mobo on the floor, around the size of a q-pack. I hope to get a SS SJ01 and put my old parts in it (3200+, 6800GS, SB Aud2 ZS) so I'll be hanging around this section more often.

I think any case that can only accept mATX cases or smaller is automatically "small" in my mind, so that makes it a SFF in my mind.

jebo_4jc said:
I think any case that can only accept mATX cases or smaller is automatically "small" in my mind, so that makes it a SFF in my mind.

Thats a pretty easy way to sum it up. :)

My server case can hold an mATX board...and an eATX board. So is it SFF? No.

SFF, imho, denotes a case of boxlike proportions that has the ability to fix in confined space, be carried easily, and cannot hold a mobo any larger than mATX.

M4rk said:
My server case can hold an mATX board...and an eATX board. So is it SFF? No.

Good, cause no one has said that yet.

jebo_4jc said:

where did those 13 voters come from?

That seems really odd that they voted 13 times outta no where. Voter fraud!

I agree...anything that accepts at most an mATX motherboard. Shuttles are probably the smallest of the capable SFFs and got the masses thinking smaller. I just don't think they are the only SFF. They obviously had a great idea judging from their sales and all the clones. I think stepping down in size from the run of the mill ATX mid tower is small form factor. They are quite capable machines that make maximum use of space. Regardless of their shape. Included are slim line cases, HTPC cases, micro towers, cube style cases, etc. Any of the cases are a step in the right direction if you do not absolutely need the extra expansion offered with standard ATX. And by absolutely I mean exhausting all options to make it fit in a smaller case (or that certain features you need are not offered in a smaller package yet. And those are becoming scarcer everyday).

Traditionally, an SFF is a cube style case due to shuttle pioneering this form factor. mATX was basically a budget form factor for standard ATX cases- Cheap mobos for OEM's and low-power PC's etc. When shuttle introduced their line and all of this recent stuff such as the QPACK and Fragbox/SG01 the cube 'form' stuck with it. but generally speaking, an SFF is something that is not a full tower, nor a mid tower, its an SFF ;)

I just realized that two of the options are basically the same.

"No bigger than a qpack"
and
"Only accepts mATX at largest"

The Qpack is just a cube shaped mATX case. You can take just about any mATX case, make it cubed shape, and it would be roughly the same size as the qpack.

they aren't the same...

The results are coming it and it seems like people are pretty divided...it seems like if you asked "box shape or mATX" then it would be even.... It seems like for now we have to include mini-towers as SFF

Steeeeve said:
they aren't the same...

The results are coming it and it seems like people are pretty divided...it seems like if you asked "box shape or mATX" then it would be even.... It seems like for now we have to include mini-towers as SFF

I guess you'll have to make another poll then ;)

Or realize that your "shuttle view" isn't the way it is anymore.

Ominous Gamer said:
I guess you'll have to make another poll then ;)

Or realize that your "shuttle view" isn't the way it is anymore.

Well, it is not my call... I think we should all be on the same page for this forum though. My view won't change but I will accept mini-towers as SFF for the purpose of posting here.

Back