Windows 7 search is horrible...

Status
Not open for further replies.

hardc0re

Gawd
When searching for a file in "My Computer" (hd (2 drives, 4 partitions), dvd drive etc..) usually in Windows XP I have a result in less than 30 seconds.

Windows 7 Home Premium takes ages to seach, and 99% of the time cannot find the file/folder, even if the open ended search passes in XP (seach for part of file or folder name).

Is there some configuration that needs to be done for Win 7 to search better?

You're not using it right.

Either the file is not in an indexed location (which provides instant results) and/or you disabled indexing.

or

If it's not indexed, you need hit 'See more results', then click on where you want to search, which would just be "My Computer", and it will search all of your drives.

I downloaded this app recomended on another forum called "everything search" and it blows 7's garbage search out of the water. Results appear -instantly- while 7's is "searching" away for 5+ minutes (indexing on and off, same results)

Yes, I love Everything for its speed but it does not search for text inside of files and cannot be used to search Outlook email and other file types that benefit from Windows search. However, if you just need an index of file names across all your drives, Everything is hard to beat for its speed and simplicity. It's a very useful app for some purposes.

I downloaded this app recomended on another forum called "everything search" and it blows 7's garbage search out of the water. Results appear -instantly- while 7's is "searching" away for 5+ minutes (indexing on and off, same results)

My win 7 results display instantly over multiple drives and TB's of space.

hrm. I'll stick to "Everything", searching in text files and email is useless for me... I don't get it why after a decade they couldn't implement a functional and intuitive default search feature with the OS. It's absolute rubbish.

hrm. I'll stick to "Everything", searching in text files and email is useless for me... I don't get it why after a decade they couldn't implement a functional and intuitive default search feature with the OS. It's absolute rubbish.

Not intuitive? It's a fucking blank where you type what you want and hit enter. If you want a specific drive indexed, you add it in Indexing Options in your Control Panel and wait a few minutes to a couple hours until it's indexed. How is it not intuitive? Your Everything doesn't have half the feature Windows Search does and you call Windows Search rubbish? :rolleyes:

You're doing it wrong. Thread closed for trolling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back