[H]ot? HP zr2740w $499 free shipping @ B&H

seems like a great deal to me. 2560x1440 is a fantastic experience. just a heads up, i don't believe this monitor has an OSD.

Don't think so./\/\/\//\

This is a pretty good monitor and though as Porter notes it has no OSD display for changing settings it also has some fairly low response times. It also has aggressive AG coating. I don't mind it but I know others do.

I use them at work.

No OSD, but you don't really need one.

AG coating is actually very nice on these. No sparkle at all. I prefer using this to an Apple Cinema Display, which we also use here.

HP changed the coating from aggressive matte to semi-glossy (well technically light matte). Now the HP uses the same coating as the U2713H in this image.

The ZR2740W does not use LED PWM Dimming (Side Affects) which is an advantage vs. the 550$ Asus PB278Q and is not plagued by tons of quality control issues or overshoot ghosting (new revisions) like the Dell U2713HM.

The lack of PWM Dimming is a HUGE PLUS IMO..Many people don't notice it until they start getting a massive headache or eye strain from doing work..Often people would chalk this up to "burning the midnight oil" or "burning the candle at both ends" or any other old skool saying regarding working a lot with computers..

It's sad because I cannot use a CCFL LCD at all without it triggering a massive migraine..I used to get them at school because of the FL..I actually missed 2 months of my Senior Year due to it, and finally ended up graduating early and going on to start college in the Spring..

I bought a Samsung 23" LED the day it hit the market for $349 from BB despite knowing it had a TN panel because there was no dimming effect at all..It actually allowed me to come back to the hobby I started as a kid (12 ish) which is computer building/modding/tinkering etc..

I am going to be dropping $510 for a 290 and Koolance GPU Block tomorrow..This baby would bring me up to just over a G...I happen to have 17 C notes from a good poker week sitting right here.....Decisions, Decisions...:D

Anyone wanna buy a Golden 7950 (MSI TF3) with Koolance GPU block? It games @ 1.3Ghz Core/1750Mhz all day @ 1.23V..I'd let it go for $235;)

PWM doesn't affect everybody, only a select unlucky few (unlucky because it limits your buying options). i keep my PB827Q at 25% backlighting and i can use it for hours with no ill effect. don't let the PWM backlighting thing scare you unless you're certain that you are part of the small group it affects.

Don't think so./\/\/\//\

This is a pretty good monitor and though as Porter notes it has no OSD display for changing settings it also has some fairly low response times. It also has aggressive AG coating. I don't mind it but I know others do.

Can confirm no OSD... sitting in front of two of them right now at work.

Good price... I think even with our partnership thru HP they still ran us around $650 or so.

PWM doesn't affect everybody, only a select unlucky few (unlucky because it limits your buying options). i keep my PB827Q at 25% backlighting and i can use it for hours with no ill effect. don't let the PWM backlighting thing scare you unless you're certain that you are part of the small group it affects.

I appreciate the info brother, but sadly I am 100000% certain it affects me..I think I mentioned it in my post above, but I suffer from chronic migraines, and have SEVERE light sensitivity issues..I used to complain of having headaches everyday I came home from school to the 'rents from about the ~4th grade on, and they assumed it was a vision issue..I went to several vision checkups, and they all reported the same thing..Excellent eyesight (20/15 and 20/10) and nothing out of the norm..

It wasn't until I reached puberty @ 12 that they finally diagnosed me with "migraine" proper..I have had issues on n off until I was 22, then litterally something in my head snapped and I have had them DAILY since 5/13/05..I have seen upwards of 50 Doctors, had every sort of test under the sun, and they have no idea what causes them..I cannot be about flourscent lighting for more then ~15 mins on a good day before I feel them begin to work their evil fucking magic :(:(:(...

Back on topic..I am really considering pulling the trigger on this unless you guys think one of the Korean models (that has been confirmed 100% to be PWM flicker free) would be a better buy @ $350 or less...If I have to spend $400 on one of them, I would rather just get the HP now..

Also, since this guy only seems to use DVI and Displayport, is there any chance it can O/C at all? 120Hz would be awesome, but I would be stoked with 96Hz or better..

I have this monitor and overall really like it. I don't notice any ghosting or lag and am personally not bothered by the AG coating (personal preference of course).

What I will note is that my first screen died showing lines across it and finally going black and my replacement screen is beginning to do the same. If you google issues on this monitor you will find this is not isolated, but exact % of monitors with the dying screen issue who knows. This is a business class product, however, and HP's customer service for those is great. I reported my issue and they had a tech to my house literally the next business day to replace my monitor.

Back