Logitech Z-5500 static / hissing sound

adama0

n00b
Got my new Z-5500s this weekend, have them all set up, and now I notice a distinct (if not overwhelming) static/windy sound coming from the satellites (and buzz coming from the sub). The noise in question goes away when mute is selected, and will rotate around based on the effect selected (that is, if in Stereo x2 rather than 6-direct, it won't come from the center satellite, only the others. Moreover, the noise occurs regardless of whether there is anything connected to the inputs.

I came across this old thread about a Z-5500 hissing sound, in which someone said Logitech tech support said (sensibly enough) that if this problem occurred with nothing connected to the inputs, then it is your unit at fault:

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=872603&highlight=z-5500+hiss

If anyone else has gone through this issue before, what I'm curious to know is, can I RMA just control center? (And that would have to be through Logitech, I presume; if I did it through Buy.com, I imagine I'd have to return the whole darn thing...?) I've got everything set up, and it will be a real pain to take everything down again. Or indeed, is it even necessarily due to the control center and not the sub (maybe something about where the satellites connect)? I'm sure the satellites themselves must be fine, since it is consistent among all five of them.

Anyway, if you've experienced this or know anything about it, would be great to have some info. Thanks.

--Adam

I have an old SoundBlaster Live! Value. (Still haven't decided if I'll get something intermediate to tide me over until I upgrade my pc in a few months.)

But the sound card can't be the operative factor -- remember, the noise occurs even when there is nothing connected to the control center inputs (thus no sound card in the picture).

got the same system here and no hissing or nothing.... totally silent man. On my older z-680's there was a tiny hiss.. TINY but these nothing.. get an RMA... VERY FAST BTW

Called to say my logitech's amp was blown... but it wa the fuse at the end.. they said they'll ship me the z-5500's for free... and I still have the z-680's replaced the fuse and wham two systems in less than ONE WEEK :p

Thanks aZn. Anyone else with a Z-5500 have a moment to report if they get subwoofer buzz/hum (or speaker hiss), and how much?

I called Logitech tech support and they will ship me a replacement control pod after I send them mine. Haven't sent it yet, as I am really starting to wonder (esp. after doing some more reading) how likely it is that the new pod won't be the same. I know that speakers will always have *some* hiss (and subs some hum); they are putting out more than I'd like, but it may be normal for all I know, in which case I'll have to live with it.

The sub hum/buzz I hear from maybe 2-3 feet away (the speaker hiss, about 2 feet). Any other Z-5500 owners care to share their experiences?

(Note that this is with direct/analog selected, with or without anything connected to the inputs; *or* with digital, but in that case only if there is a digital audio source connected to the digital input selected. If the pod detects no digital input, the speakers/sub are silent.)

Thanks much,
Adam

If I put my ear to mine I'll hears a very quiet his, but you can do that with any speaker. They'll pop pretty loud though if you turn on anything that requires a lot of electricity, (wheat grinder, vacuum)

Obi_Kwiet said:
If I put my ear to mine I'll hears a very quiet his, but you can do that with any speaker. They'll pop pretty loud though if you turn on anything that requires a lot of electricity, (wheat grinder, vacuum)
Yes, indeedy. I've noticed this also.
adama0 said:
Anyone else with a Z-5500 have a moment to report if they get subwoofer buzz/hum (or speaker hiss), and how much?
If there is nothing playing through the speakers at the time, regardless of whether or not it's connected to my sound card, I get a hiss, too. Logitech actually addresses this on their FAQ section somewhere, and it's apparently a common occurrence with high-power amps. No idea if that's true or not, but I will say I don't notice anything when I use a custom home-theatre setup that produces more power into more channels (100w RMS x 7, 340w RMS LFE). It seems to be a problem of this amp, then, I've surmised.
I have pulled my sub box on the 5500s apart, though, to seal it and change the crossovers (sloppiest default crossover ever).
Also, you can hear the hiss easier as you increase the volume (when nothing is playing). This is pretty indicative that what Logitech says is true.

I've read in some thread somewhere that there can be a slight hum if your control center cable is too close to a CRT monitor. try moving it away a little bit if it's near a monitor.

I hear that too. I just set it up and was thinking it could be a loose connection or something, and was going to recheck everything sometime. If I increase the volume, the hissing gets louder too.

They'll pop pretty loud though if you turn on anything that requires a lot of electricity, (wheat grinder, vacuum)

Wheat grinder? People still use these things??

Dude I have the same problem now an then I will have static poping noises, I know what it is , it's to do with the power going threw it and getting to much or something similar to that I either put headphones on thats stops it or just mute or turn them off I've got to do one of them things cause it drives me CRAZY when trying to play a game CSS, FEAR,DODS etc etc. The only way I found out to fix it is to buy a USP (power surger thingy) for your PC but if u have one then I dont know lol.

I encountered it today.. with winrar extracting... after leaving my computer and speakers playing for 3 days straight.. a simple restart fixed it... but it was weird :confused:

Back