Controller/Driver for GB-1494-V-O LCD

Alterscape

Weaksauce
I've got a GB-1494-V-O (or maybe -0?) 16x2 LCD display that I just "liberated" from an old printer one of my housemates was chucking. According to http://www.eio.com/public/lcd.2003/1934.html, here is the pinout:

Pin number Symbol Level I/O Function
1 Vss - - Power supply (GND)
2 Vcc - - Power supply (+5V)
3 Vee - - Contrast adjust
4 RS 0/1 I 0 = Instruction input
1 = Data input
5 R/W 0/1 I 0 = Write to LCD module
1 = Read from LCD module
6 E 1, 1-->0 I Enable signal
7 DB0 0/1 I/O Data bus line 0 (LSB)
8 DB1 0/1 I/O Data bus line 1
9 DB2 0/1 I/O Data bus line 2
10 DB3 0/1 I/O Data bus line 3
11 DB4 0/1 I/O Data bus line 4
12 DB5 0/1 I/O Data bus line 5
13 DB6 0/1 I/O Data bus line 6
14 DB7 0/1 I/O Data bus line 7 (MSB)

I've also found posts suggesting that a Hitachi HD44100 or HD44780A00 might drive this LCD via a serial connection. I can't find either of those part numbers on digikey, however. Can anyone suggest an equivilant controller?

That pinout suggests parallel data(8 data lines), and it also suggests there is a controller chip onboard. That pinout looks like the hd44780 pinout, which is a very common lcd controller. Look at the chips on the back and I'll bet you will see on that says hd44780. Just search for that chip and you will find plenty of sites describing how to drive it.

There's no controller chip on the back of the PCB. The LCD itself is on a small board connected by those 14 pins and a couple of plastic standoffs to a larger board with a bunch of assorted circuitry. Is it possible that the controller chip is hidden inside the LCD or something along those lines?

I'm not absolutely sure that this is the correct pin-out, so I'd question my ability to find the right pin-out before anything else. The only other ICs on the larger board are a pair of TI SN74LS14Ns, but the board has a connector for a 40-pin ribbon cable that went to the printer's main controllerboard. So I'm really up a creek. *shrug*

Back