home theater system-39.99 - DEAD

Status
Not open for further replies.

marvin888

Lurker
I've been looking for a cheap home theater system for a while for me wieght room. I went to Circuit City and seen one for $99. Told the sales person I wanted to buy this one, he looked it up in the computer and the price came up as $39.99, he said "that can't be right", called a second salesperson over who looked it up again and it stilled showed $39.99. Me said "call the manager." So the first salesperson called the manager told him the story, hung up, and said "they told me to sell it for $39.99". So he completed the sale and I walked out with this for $42.94 with tax. :D

mini-Picture 007.jpg

mini-Picture 009.jpg

mini-Picture 010.jpg

AMW T342 Home Theater System
(Amphion MediaWorks)

This was at Circuit City in Fairfield Ca.

Not a great system, but pretty damn nice for $40. Hopefully some people can check around tomorrow to see if any other stores have the same price.

edit: could possibly be a clearance item or something. I couldn't find that model on their website but I did find a T352 which looked pretty similar to that one and was $100.

For $40, I don't think it matters how they stack up to the competition... gotta be better than the TV speakers ;)

I don't know how many of you have ever purchased AMW products, but I've had several of their DVD players and all I must say is that you get what you pay for. You try to skip and spend $39.99 then you have to return. I never had an AMW product that I was able to keep. I hope you enjoy your trip BACK to Circuit City to return it. :D

Zuht said:
For $40, I don't think it matters how they stack up to the competition... gotta be better than the TV speakers ;)

No, they don't have to be better than the TV speakers, and for that price I doubt they are. The components for the DVD player have to account for at least half of that price, the subwoofer is probably half of what is left, so ultimately you're talking about 2-3 dollar speakers.

DriveEuro said:
I don't know how many of you have ever purchased AMW products, but I've had several of their DVD players and all I must say is that you get what you pay for. You try to skip and spend $39.99 then you have to return. I never had an AMW product that I was able to keep. I hope you enjoy your trip BACK to Circuit City to return it. :D
me too!

At my store, I call those cheap HT systems ghetto theaters or ghetto systems. But hey, if it fills the notch your looking to fill and it actually works, more power to ya.

for an exercise room? who cares what it looks like, sounds like. you cant get a dvd player and sub anywhere else for that price. I wish i could score something that like for my bedroom. The amount of TV I watch in there is not worthy of anything nice

iremote said:
for an exercise room? who cares what it looks like, sounds like. you cant get a dvd player and sub anywhere else for that price. I wish i could score something that like for my bedroom. The amount of TV I watch in there is not worthy of anything nice

Exactly, you guys are forgeting it's for an exercise room, not a home theater. For $40 bucks, i think it's worth it. Personally, i've never heard of AMW. With those types of brands, it's usually a gamble, sometimes i've had luck, other's i've been frustrated with. Sometimes, if the price is right, it's worth a show. APEX TV's, purchased one for my g/f, after 2 of them were broken out of the box, Circuit City gave us a Philips TV that retailed for nearly $100 more for the same price. I got a Norcent CD-burner a few years ago (had never heard of them at the time), but it was free after a $30 rebate. Burner still works absolutely great and it's been about 2 years. Has out lasted every single TDK burner i ever purchased (those lasted 6 months max and were just used normaly). Anyways, moral of the story, it's a gamble, some times it works out great, other times it doesnt. Good luck to you, hope they suit your needs in the exercise room ;)

Systems like these only play 5.1 sound if the DVD has 5.1 sound. If not, youll be getting 2.1 with the Left and Right speaker and the sub.

I had one of these cheap theaters for my bedroom. Its not bad, but its not good either. For an exercise room, it should be great. But if youre gonna put this in your living room, I suggest you go a different route.

I think it will sound absolutely disappointing in an exercise room, especially for playing music. When you are in there lifting weights you want some SOUND, not something coming out of a few 1.5" speakers. I bought a HTIB(kenwood receiver and tiny little speakers all around). Within a week I had bought a pair of 3-way bookshelf speakers to replace the crappy little front speakers. MUCH better, even though they were the $20 KLH special. Not much else you can do for $40, though.

I've been looking for a cheap home theater system for a while for me wieght room.

AARRrrrrrrgggg....me tooo matey....workin the pecs is the life fer me.....AAARRRRGggggg

iremote said:

If you don't care what it looks or sounds like, why bother at all?? For $0.00 you can listen to the speakers that are already in your TV.

Also, if you hardly ever watch any TV in a particular room... why buy anything extra for it?? I don't watch any TV on my computer, but if I find a TV tuner card for $40, should I buy it anyway?? It's not like it'll get much use, so who cares about the quality...

Not all of us buy stuff just because it's cheap. We can save even more by just not buying it.

That said, if you desperately want 5.1 and a DVD player without any regard to its ability to properly reproduce the sounds and images intended by the makers of the DVD, then by all means... this has got to be the cheapest way possible.

animeguru said:
If you don't care what it looks or sounds like, why bother at all?? For $0.00 you can listen to the speakers that are already in your TV.

Also, if you hardly ever watch any TV in a particular room... why buy anything extra for it?? I don't watch any TV on my computer, but if I find a TV tuner card for $40, should I buy it anyway?? It's not like it'll get much use, so who cares about the quality...

Not all of us buy stuff just because it's cheap. We can save even more by just not buying it.

Some of us have 40 bucks to blow on a boring day....

Some of us have 100 bucks to blow on a boring day... Not everyone is as cheap as you are. And to all you people saying he wasted 40 bucks, You don't realize it isn't a 40 dollar dvd/speaker set, it was originally 99, I am sure it does an ok job at producing better sound then the tiny stereo speakers in a tv.

Are you guys jelous or something? You sound silly.

That said, if you desperately want 5.1 and a DVD player without any regard to its ability to properly reproduce the sounds and images intended by the makers of the DVD, then by all means... this has got to be the cheapest way possible

Are you serious?? its for a fuckin weight room.. he probibly only bought it to have louder volume for tv or a bit of music to work out to.

Big Worm said:
I am sure it does an ok job at producing better sound then the tiny stereo speakers in a tv.

he probibly only bought it to have louder volume for tv or a bit of music to work out to.
Exactly. This thing makes a great secondary system for:
The bedroom/kids bedroom
Garage/workshop etc
Weight room
The ultra cheap who want a slight audio improvement over tinny sounding TV speakers
etc etc

Nobody buys these expecting hi-fidelity audio i'm sure

That depends on how much he payed for his TV. Remember, there are only about $2-3 worth of components going into each speaker. I wouldn't be surprised if they don't work at all.

Man you people are retarded. All he posted was a head's up for a cheap audio system. Who cares if the speakers aren't better than a tv's (you can't exactly stick a CD in a TV, can u?).

Good buy dude, hope they work.

joecool234 said:
Man you people are retarded. All he posted was a head's up for a cheap audio system. Who cares if the speakers aren't better than a tv's (you can't exactly stick a CD in a TV, can u?).

Good buy dude, hope they work.

Ditto :D

SB22 said:
Exactly, you guys are forgeting it's for an exercise room, not a home theater. For $40 bucks, i think it's worth it. Personally, i've never heard of AMW. With those types of brands, it's usually a gamble, sometimes i've had luck, other's i've been frustrated with. Sometimes, if the price is right, it's worth a show. APEX TV's, purchased one for my g/f, after 2 of them were broken out of the box, Circuit City gave us a Philips TV that retailed for nearly $100 more for the same price. I got a Norcent CD-burner a few years ago (had never heard of them at the time), but it was free after a $30 rebate. Burner still works absolutely great and it's been about 2 years. Has out lasted every single TDK burner i ever purchased (those lasted 6 months max and were just used normaly). Anyways, moral of the story, it's a gamble, some times it works out great, other times it doesnt. Good luck to you, hope they suit your needs in the exercise room ;)

I got a nice Lite-on burner in my "no name" brand box free after rebate :) It's a 48x burner and had it for over a year. Now that was a deal in my mind :)

Well, I saw this deal so I wandered over to a Circuit City to check them out.

At the Circuit City I went to in Atlanta, the set was actually marked at $37.99. I've been looking for a DVD player for a while so I couldn't really complain at this amount of money especially with 5.1 speakers (no matter how shitty they are).

For TV's that don't have top-notch built in audio, this package was a real deal. Since I realized that these speakers/dvd may not last past the end of the month, I payed an additional $14.99 for a 3-year warranty where I can just bring them back and exchange them if anything might (and probably will) happen.

(For those who are looking for them, they're actually marked ABTT342 in the Circuit City computers although the box/shelf item has AMWT342).

I had a friend who had one of those..

I hate to say it but the speakers sounded soooooooooooooooooooo terribly bad it was pathetic..

Maybe it's a good deal for the price, but the sound quality is truly horrid (and I'm not that picky about my sound quality)...

just a warning,
kevin

[email protected]

Legionosh said:
I had a friend who had one of those..

I hate to say it but the speakers sounded soooooooooooooooooooo terribly bad it was pathetic..

Maybe it's a good deal for the price, but the sound quality is truly horrid (and I'm not that picky about my sound quality)...

just a warning,
kevin

[email protected]

Tip: Don't post your email places, or post like patATlopoetve.com Otherwise, spiders will read it, and spam++.

I have this same setup at home, in the master bedroom. I bought it on sale a while back just for a DVD player for the bedroom, and decided to get this (paid $45 open box) instead of another cheapo dvd player. For the bedroom, its perfect. The sound isn't the best, but it is enough for our 12x14 bedroom. My wife would kill me if I was overpowering the livingroom system from the bedroom when she is watching her reality shows. Its also not a bad system for playing games either. While the speakers don't sound the best in the world, they are much better then the built-in TV speaker (which was producing static at higher volumes.) but I will say that the progressive scan sucks on it (I tried it for kicks) and sometimes overheats the sucker, and the radio cannot save station presets, or atleast, I haven't been able to get it to do it. Other then that, not bad for the price.

Normally I'm against the haters, but these guys are right. Save your money and buy something decent.

If you're looking for something really cheap buy a small $100 jvc mini system or something. Will sound leaps and bounds better.

Like someone else said if sound quality doesn't matter then why did you buy them?

butterfliesrpretty said:
Normally I'm against the haters, but these guys are right. Save your money and buy something decent.

If you're looking for something really cheap buy a small $100 jvc mini system or something. Will sound leaps and bounds better.

A DVD player for $42 is a pretty decent price. Who cares if the speakers sound horrible? I'm somewhat an audiophile, but any 5.1 setup for $42 is a deal. Not everyone needs good sound quality. My grandma wouldn't know the different between a $400 speaker and a $2 cardboard one.

Even if they sound bad, a 5.1 setup for $42 is a good deal. For $42 nobody should expect these speakers to perform well. If you want some high performance home theater, go to bose. But that doesn't make this deal not hot.

butterfliesrpretty said:
Like someone else said if sound quality doesn't matter then why did you buy them?

Because he wanted some speakers for his work out room.... I don't think anyone can argue no speakers sounds better than $42 ones.

For what I bought them for it works great! the sound ain't the best but while I'm lifting weights it puts music into the room to make my work out a lot better. Plus I have a set of Infinity bookshelf speakers I might hook up if the speakers start bothering me. It's compact, easy to set up, and cheap. that's all I wanted it for. It was my best deal in a while, so I just thought I would share it with you guy also.

Yes, but the stuff it comes with is thin 26,28, or 30 guage and not that long. the wire for the rear speakers was about 15' long

Just asking since I have some nice speaker that I could use instead of the stock ones. :)

dextrous said:
If you want some high performance home theater, go to bose.
hahahahahahaha.

hahahahahahaha.

again, hahahaha.

at least I think that was a joke. If I was looking to blow my money I would get a cheap thing like this $40 set rather than a piece of shit bose setup. At least with this system you are paying what it is worth rather than what marketing says it is worth.

" If you want some high performance home theater, go to bose."

Man, listen and learn bose is utter crap and you say your somewhat of an audiophile I think you need to go back to class.

All I know is my $189 Klipsch 4.1 Promedias and a (now discontinued) $180 Klipsch DD5.1 (it's a mini-preamp for computer speakers, 2 digital ins, 3 RCA ins, and connections for 5.1 Klipsch speakers. Supports DD 5.1, DTS, and ProLogic, and of course stereo. It's got a few wacky DSPs and a decent EQ.) It's wayyyyy better than some of the $1000 packages I've heard. It's so tiny, too. About the size of one of those crappy $30 Walmart DVD players. Slimmer and smaller than that APEX model.

dextrous said:
A DVD player for $42 is a pretty decent price.

This isn't a DVD player for $42. If it was, I'd agree with you. I bought my family a $50 DVD player, and for the price, it performs admirably. However, this is a home theater in a box for $42. That means the actual components that went into the DVD player itself cost far less than $42. If I offered you a brand new DVD player for $20, wouldn't you be skeptical of its quality? Hell, I'd be afraid it would blow up as soon as I turned it on.

Who cares if the speakers sound horrible? I'm somewhat an audiophile, but any 5.1 setup for $42 is a deal. Not everyone needs good sound quality. My grandma wouldn't know the different between a $400 speaker and a $2 cardboard one.

Then why buy it in the first place? Why not just buy a better $42 DVD player and stick with the TV speakers? Better yet, why not buy some cheap stereo speakers? I'm not trying to argue that this is a bad deal because there are better speakers out there. I'm arguing that this is a bad deal because you can do better for the same amount of money.

I got a nice $34 DVD player but I run it to a SDTV so I don't do all those "fancy" crap. ;)
Although I'm probably going to replace it soon with one of those Divx capable players.

Auric said:
This isn't a DVD player for $42. If it was, I'd agree with you. I bought my family a $50 DVD player, and for the price, it performs admirably. However, this is a home theater in a box for $42. That means the actual components that went into the DVD player itself cost far less than $42. If I offered you a brand new DVD player for $20, wouldn't you be skeptical of its quality? Hell, I'd be afraid it would blow up as soon as I turned it on.

Then why buy it in the first place? Why not just buy a better $42 DVD player and stick with the TV speakers? Better yet, why not buy some cheap stereo speakers? I'm not trying to argue that this is a bad deal because there are better speakers out there. I'm arguing that this is a bad deal because you can do better for the same amount of money.

Auric: you're forgetting that the sale price before the price drop was $99 or even higher. So, it could be possible that the dvd player alone is worth $50. You are making the deal sound much worser than it is.
Here's a situation: if the dvd player that you bought for $50 was clearanced to $25 would you still buy it? (thats if you hadn't bought it already)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back