Pentium 4 breaks 5GHz Mark @ Tomshardware

Dude , you're on crack or what???It's a fake.

That's a 332% OC...how much heat is that Willy pumping ..... 1MW???

Lamer...

It doesnt seem to be EE, actually.. no L3 cache in sshots..
but it could be normal 3.4g ES..
as i remember - there have been rumours that intel will release
3.4 non-ee northy, too.

how come no 3d benchmark

Cause there scores would suck with the MSI card they are using.

and also, it was not a benchmark article, just a how high article.

I doubt the chip would bench past 4.6-4.7ghz anyway, and i seriously doubht any 3d benchmark would make it.

Thats not the CPU at -32, it is the Northbridge being cooled.

Nice extra cooling the northbridge with the vapo, even though it didnt need it.

It doesnt seem to be EE, actually.. no L3 cache in sshots..

I believe your probably right. The word i got from someone at toms was that it was an ES of a 3.4EE but from the ss it looks like a normal 3.4GHz P4 because of no L3 cache. I will try to get back with one of them about it.

Toms record for an FX-51 is 206 MHZ ..... He did an OCing thing on one a few weeks back.

http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/20031021/athlon_cooler-37.html

Looks to me like they got 2.8GHz out of it :).

Everyone keeps saying how Intel and Nvidia bias tomshardware is but yet they got 2.8GHz out of the FX-51 just like everyone is talking about from Aces hardware or whatever got and in their latest video card roundup the ATI cards won almost every benchmark.

Sounds to me like fanboys just can't take the truth if its not on their side.

Originally posted by Koslov
how come no 3d benchmark

From the Article:
And another observation for fans of extreme overclocking: our test system was absolutely stable at a clock rate of 4700 MHz.

Which implies to me that it in fact was not stable at 5.25ghz.
Let's face it, there's a wide spread between being a legitimately stable overclock, and loading windows to take a CPUID screeny. 5.25ghz seems to be the latter.

Honestly, when you consider that, Kyle and the boys had a 3.06B stable at @4.44, a year ago. that with off the self cooling (VaporChill) and a stock motherboard (P4PE).
And, as has been pointed out, 5+ghz CPUID shots are far from unheard of.
i have a hard time considering this major news.

Tom can pat himself on the back, it's a very nice overclock, certanly one of the better ones with P4, but it's pretty much been done before, and will be done again.

Originally posted by FreiDOg
Let's face it, there's a wide spread between being a legitimately stable overclock, and loading windows to take a CPUID screeny. 5.25ghz seems to be the latter.

Honestly, when you consider that, Kyle and the boys had a 3.06B stable at @4.44, a year ago. that with off the self cooling (VaporChill) and a stock motherboard (P4PE).

Tom can pat himself on the back, it's a very nice overclock, certanly one of the better ones with P4, but it's pretty much been done before, and will be done again.

i agree, it's like me saying "hey i can post up to 3.9ghz with my chip (which i can), but it's only stable at 3.5ghz...but i got a 3.9ghz oc"

i'm not saying it's a bad oc, because they did get a good oc with 4.7ghz. but it's not like "OMG no ones done this before OMG OMG." Plus it could be i just don't like tom's after that "we have the first ever 3.6ghz cpu, and no one else does" which ended up being fake and the site's fanboyism. so i'm skeptical on anything coming from that site.

Originally posted by FreiDOg

Of course it wasn't completely stable at 5.25ghz. Noone else has showed anything over 5GHz stable ither. The whole point to the article wasn't the most stable speed. It was to see how far you could push the CPU. 4.7GHZ completely stable is still an achievement in and of itself. So far noone has has provided anything to prove any of these near 5GHz overclocks around on the net are real and the last one that was just posted in this thread about the japanese guy was nothing more then a photochop. Theres a video of the overclock you can view at Tomshardware also.

Also Tom doesn't have anything to do with these reviews. The actual guy Tom is off doing his own thing. The people from tomshardware say he doesn't really even have much of an interest in hardware at the moment. He's not involved with the writing of the reviews. So if your basing your opinions on some guy you shouldn't be. He's only into the marketing stuff now.

And i would say several people think this is news because i've seen links to it posted on quite a few hardware sites today.

I think this is totally useless.

If it's not watercooled, air cooled or prometeia type
it's just useless.

Who cares if it can clock 10,000Mhz if you are using
cooling no one can use on a daily basis.

Plus the P4 will NEVER see 5ghz.
Intel has no plans on clocking it anywhere near that high.
The P5 will be the one to reach for those speeds.

All it was ever meant to be was a hail mary 5ghz+ screenshot like the Japs always do.

That's all i expected, anyone expect benchies @ 5ghz??

I can screenshot @ a little over 4.4ghz and hopefully copy and paste to whatever photoshop or whatever.

I've seen a super PI @ 5ghz, but it probably couldnt be done again.

Anything over 4.6ghz i Doubt will bench stable.

The new is the guys @ toms accomplished something!!!! Thats the news.

Originally posted by bkswaney
I think this is totally useless.

If it's not watercooled, air cooled or prometeia type
it's just useless.

Who cares if it can clock 10,000Mhz if you are using
cooling no one can use on a daily basis.

Plus the P4 will NEVER see 5ghz.
Intel has no plans on clocking it anywhere near that high.
The P5 will be the one to reach for those speeds.

It was meant to show how far the Pentium 4 would go on that cooling. It wasn't like the overclocks you see in reviews. It wasn't meant to make people wanna go out and buy Pentium 4's to see if they can get 5ghz.

It all depends on how high the Pentium 4 prcoessors scale to whether or not one will ever run stable at 5Ghz. If the Prescotts overclock as well as the Pentium 4's and they scale around 4Ghz its possible. If a 3.4Ghz can run stable at 4.7MHz on that extreme cooling, whos to say that a processor at near or at 4Ghz can't hit the 5Ghz mark stable on effective cooling.

Also when they did this to the original willy's back in the day, the 1.5's and 1.7's were hitting 2.5-3.0 with LN2, Now fast forward to 2003/4 and intel is releasing northwoods at over 3.4ghz stock. makes me wonder how far the tejas will hit.

Originally posted by Tedinde
The new is the guys @ toms accomplished something!!!! Thats the news.

I know there is AMD fanboys and Intel fanboys....i wonder if there are HardOCP fanboys? lol

HardOCP is one of my favorites but im not bias towards any site. But considering Tomshardware is the highest ranked hardware site on the net and that they put out more reviews and articles then any other hardware site i've seen anyways then to me its hard to say they dont accomplish anything. They've done quite a few of these highend overclocks in the past.

As far as quality of reviews, Tom's isn't as good as [H]. But [H] doesn't put out massive VGA charts like Tom's. Each site has its place, that's why I read them all! :D

Originally posted by Jonsey
As far as quality of reviews, Tom's isn't as good as [H]. But [H] doesn't put out massive VGA charts like Tom's. Each site has its place, that's why I read them all! :D

Tomshardware usually does large scale reviews covering several products. Such as three or four chipsets, motherboards, speakers, or whatever else at once. Places like [H] tend to just do the entire review over a single piece of hardware like one prcoessor or one motherboard. Theres nothing wrong with ither of these approaches and both have their advantages. The sort of "round-up" approach gives everyone a quick overview of whats best. The single device approach gives a more in depth look of the workings of that piece of hardware for those that are interested in buying it.

I know there is AMD fanboys and Intel fanboys....i wonder if there are HardOCP fanboys? lol

Used to be [h] fanboy, couldnt believe anyone could do better if they did it was fake.

Now im everywhere every forum just about. This isnt my main home.

Now you wont catch me in toms fourms though!!!

Originally posted by burningrave101
Tomshardware usually does large scale reviews covering several products. Such as three or four chipsets, motherboards, speakers, or whatever else at once. Places like [H] tend to just do the entire review over a single piece of hardware like one prcoessor or one motherboard. Theres nothing wrong with ither of these approaches and both have their advantages. The sort of "round-up" approach gives everyone a quick overview of whats best. The single device approach gives a more in depth look of the workings of that piece of hardware for those that are interested in buying it.

I think [H] has done several round up reviews in the past.

Yes, I think they used LN2 for this.

And no, someone obviously didn't check the date on this.

...either that, or just has no shame in being a blatant post-whore. :p

I think someone used LN2 to cryogenically freeze this thread just so they could bring it back from the dead over 3 years later.

I think everyone is missing the point. This is a 1.6GHz Williamete he clocked to 5GHz, not a 3.4GHz ES EE Prescott/Cedar Mill. I say that's extremely impressive.

oh yeah, the image link at the first post now works. when i first clicked it, it won't display anything. it's a 1.6GHz willamette and not the one similar with THG project.

I think everyone is missing the point. This is a 1.6GHz Williamete he clocked to 5GHz, not a 3.4GHz ES EE Prescott/Cedar Mill. I say that's extremely impressive.

that's what we're seeing now, but it's been years since the thread was made, so it might be a different pic for whatever reason

Isn't it pretty funny that breaking 5 Ghz which was such a great thing back then can be made on good AC system at homes now :D

I still can't believe you brought back a thread from 3 years ago. All in favor to kick Death Metal in da nutz say I :D I

Back