Sapphire R9 280x 1920x1200 Resolution Problem

I am running a Sapphire R9 280X on a Viewsonic VX2835WM.

Im using an HDMI cable to connect to the monitor. The monitor does not have a DVI connector.

When I put the resolution up to 1920x1200, which is what it recommends, the icons and start bar are off the screen. If I put it into 1920x1080 everything is fine, but everything appears blurry. This is with the lastest AMD drivers.

However: If I uninstall the drivers and just use the generic video driver provided with Windows, there is no issue. The same is true with the on chip intel video(i5-4670), there is no issue. If I use my GTX650 there is no issue as well.

I dont know how to better explain the issue, and I have tried searching but to no avail, as most results I can come up with are from 5+ years ago.

Thanks in advance for any help.

it's been a while since I had a similar issue with an AMD card, but it seems like there is an Overscan option in CCC that you can adjust to make the image fit the screen.

It is only available in resolutions below 1920x1200. Once I put it up to that resolution, the option becomes disabled.

well crap, most of my screens at home are 1080p, so I've never tried that on a higher res screen with AMD. Maybe someone else can shine some light on your situation.

going in CCC to my Digital Flat-Panels and then properties the option to "Scale image to full panel size" its disabled?.. if not.. then just check for the monitor settings to see if it have some option to modify scales..

going in CCC to my Digital Flat-Panels and then properties the option to "Scale image to full panel size" its disabled?.. if not.. then just check for the monitor settings to see if it have some option to modify scales..

Its there, but I cant move the slider and it is set all the way over to Overscan. And there is nothing in between the two, like there is when I have it set to 1080p. It just says Underscan or Overscan and I cant move the slider.

can you post a pic please?.. just to check.. also have you tried changing the resolution right clicking in desktop and then screen resolution..?

can you post a pic please?.. just to check.. also have you tried changing the resolution right clicking in desktop and then screen resolution..?

Yes I have tried changing the resolution by right clicking the desktop and choosing screen resolution. And I will post some screen caps a little later.

Here is CCC in x1080:
CCC1080p.jpg

Here is CCC in x1200:
CCC1200.jpg

In the above pic, the box is not ticked, but no matter. It does not become selectable even by ticking the box.

Did you try if there is a setting in the monitors OSD?

Under "pixel format" what is it set to and what are the other options? Try a different 4:4:4 option.

Also did you try applying the settings in CCC at 1080p, than switching the resolution back to x1200?

Did you try if there is a setting in the monitors OSD?

Under "pixel format" what is it set to and what are the other options? Try a different 4:4:4 option.

Also did you try applying the settings in CCC at 1080p, than switching the resolution back to x1200?

Yes, I have tried changing the settings in 1080 and then switching the res to x1200 and that doesnt have any effect.

It was set to YCbCr 4:4:4

I just tried it on the other settings to no effect. I left it on RGB 4:4:4 Pixel Format PC Standard(Full RGB).

My first thought was overscan as well - if not in the driver, then maybe in the monitor itself? You might look through the OSD for anything related to overscan (though this wouldn't really explain why it only happens with the AMD card).

I also noticed even in your screenshots text looks slightly blown-up/blurry (compared to Araxie's screenshot, or my own screen). Maybe you're accidentally forcing Windows DPI scaling, or Magnifier or something. Just a thought.

Yes, I have tried changing the settings in 1080 and then switching the res to x1200 and that doesnt have any effect.

It was set to YCbCr 4:4:4

I just tried it on the other settings to no effect. I left it on RGB 4:4:4 Pixel Format PC Standard(Full RGB).

Did changing it allow you to change overscan settings though?

Also did you not find an OSD option? Try around with auto image adjust, manual image adjust, and input options (for HDMI there might be 2 modes, AV and PC) -

NOTE 1: Please press the power on/off key to restart monitor when changing
the HDMI input device.
NOTE 2: In HDMI input, please press “2” to switch display mode (AV��PC).

Last resort maybe give this a try - http://josiahmanson.com/prose/overscan/

This isn't an isolated issue regarding HDMI and overscan/underscan with AMD.

Can you also post an image of the menu shown in this post - http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1041240200&postcount=10

I should take time to note, as I didnt earlier, that this is in Windows 7.

My first thought was overscan as well - if not in the driver, then maybe in the monitor itself? You might look through the OSD for anything related to overscan (though this wouldn't really explain why it only happens with the AMD card).

I also noticed even in your screenshots text looks slightly blown-up/blurry (compared to Araxie's screenshot, or my own screen). Maybe you're accidentally forcing Windows DPI scaling, or Magnifier or something. Just a thought.

I have tried manipulating just the monitor, but on its menu, the options to change the settings manually are blacked out. I can not change the image to fit the screen with the monitors settings.

I do have windows DPI scaling turned up to 150% currently. As soon as I figure this out, I will change it back. But not all of my screens were taken with that turned on. I cannot explain the difference in size, other than I only used pain to make/edit the images. I do not believe magnifier to be part of the equation.

Did changing it allow you to change overscan settings though?

Also did you not find an OSD option? Try around with auto image adjust, manual image adjust, and input options (for HDMI there might be 2 modes, AV and PC) -

No, changing it does not allow me to change the overscan settings. In 1920x1200, no matter how I change the settings, I cannot move the slider.

Last resort maybe give this a try - http://josiahmanson.com/prose/overscan/

This isn't an isolated issue regarding HDMI and overscan/underscan with AMD.

Can you also post an image of the menu shown in this post - http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1041240200&postcount=10

I would rather not play around in the registry, as I really dont know what I am doing there.

I already posted an image of that menu above. Below are pics showing the blacked out options on my monitor.
image1-1.jpg

image2-1.jpg

I wonder if what would happen if you uninstalled it, and forced it to install as a Generic PnP Monitor.

Just tried it, no change. Though, even though Device Manager saw it as a Generic PnP monitor, when I went to change the resolution it still identified it properly.

I should take time to note, as I didnt earlier, that this is in Windows 7.

I have tried manipulating just the monitor, but on its menu, the options to change the settings manually are blacked out. I can not change the image to fit the screen with the monitors settings.

I do have windows DPI scaling turned up to 150% currently. As soon as I figure this out, I will change it back. But not all of my screens were taken with that turned on. I cannot explain the difference in size, other than I only used pain to make/edit the images. I do not believe magnifier to be part of the equation.

No, changing it does not allow me to change the overscan settings. In 1920x1200, no matter how I change the settings, I cannot move the slider.

I would rather not play around in the registry, as I really dont know what I am doing there.

I already posted an image of that menu above. Below are pics showing the blacked out options on my monitor.
image1-1.jpg

image2-1.jpg

Can you change the aspect ratio to 16:10.? May it be forced to 16:9?

No, these are the only options available.

IMG_0836.jpg

Changing to any of the other options, the image is still oversampled.

Lets us know if the new cable helps fix the issue...when are you do to get it in?:)

I'm hoping it gets here before thanksgiving.

i got the same problem.

The exact same problem? If so, stay tuned as I'll report back when I get the DVI to HDMI cable.

I also reported the issue to AMD, but I don't really expect them to resolve the issue.

Last edited:
I think you are SOL but…

There is a new VX2835WM monitor driver on the Viewsonic site you could try. It says it’s from 2013 but could be the same 2007 one you are using now.

The monitor should have come with a HDMI - DVI-D cable.

Manufactures do whatever they want and that being said you would want the 1:1 Aspect Ratio setting on the monitor (no scaling) and the scaling at 0% or full overscan in the video driver (no scaling) as both the display and the video card are true 1920x1200 with no need for scaling. If you look under Desktop Management then Desktop Properties in the Desktop area settings there are Basic and HDTV resolutions. Anything in HDTV should have the Scaling Options slider active and any in Basic would have the slider locked at 0% or full overscan. That is normally what you want. I think even if the Scaling Options slider worked you’d just be scaling the 1920x1200 down and softening up the image. This is what you already get with the 1920x1080. It’s stretching the 1080 to 1200.

When you send the display 1920x1080 to you have black bars at the top and bottom? Is the display set to 1:1? Your display is 1920x1200 and that is 16:10 so Full Screen should stretch the top and bottom to remove the extra space left from 1080 on a 1200 display. The 1:1 and 16:9 should do the same thing with 1920x1080 and leave the black bars at the top and bottom but not scale the image and it should stay sharp.

Many of the LCD displays lock out some of displays built in scalar options when using a digital input. They are only really needed to cleanup the image when you use and analog video input. As you have seen with the Horizontal Size, Position and Fine Tune settings being locked. The Aspect Ratio settings should work though.

You may be able to make a Preset and the edit it to have the Underscan but that would leave you with a burly image again.

It’s like the AMD driver sees you are using an HDMI port so it sets the Underscan flag and the display scales up the image. There should not be anything to Underscan or shrink with the signal and display both at 1920x1200.

Also, if you look under My Digitial Flat-Panels then HDTV Support (Digital Flat-Panel) in the AMD driver there should be settings to customize the height and width but it only has HDTV resolutions. You could try it though. Select the 1080p60 option at the bottom then click the Apply Format button. After that you click add and can change the height and width but only smaller I think.

I bought the monitor used, so I dont have the cable. But, someone linked me to another one in this thread and I am currently waiting for it to arrive.

Can you please provide a link to the driver from 2013, as I can only find the driver I already have on their website.

If I set the monitor to 1:1, and then set the resolution to 1080p, I get the black bars ad the top/bottom. If I set it to x1200, shit gets wonky. The image is even worse than on the other setting(1080, full screen, scaled up) and is still overlapping the screen.

I bought the monitor used, so I dont have the cable. But, someone linked me to another one in this thread and I am currently waiting for it to arrive.

Can you please provide a link to the driver from 2013, as I can only find the driver I already have on their website.

If I set the monitor to 1:1, and then set the resolution to 1080p, I get the black bars ad the top/bottom. If I set it to x1200, shit gets wonky. The image is even worse than on the other setting(1080, full screen, scaled up) and is still overlapping the screen.

http://www.viewsonic.com/us/support/downloads/search_driver/?prod_name=VX2835WM

Sorry, I was looking at the Exe file date and now it shows 10/8/2014 so I’m guessing if you install it you'll get the same version you have now. I think 1:1 with 1080p is your best bet for now. I know AMD did have their own DVI to HDMI adaptor that would get you HDMI audio out of the DVI port but hopefully the cable you have on the way just works.

Yeah, I give up. DVI to HDMI didnt change anything. Still the same problem.

Its at this point I contemplate either a 1080p monitor or selling this card and going Nvidia.

Is there something, possibly, that Im just missing?

Edit:
Or is it the monitor? - No, its not going to be the monitor, as I have already shown that it cant be, because it will display x1200 through the intel graphics and through the card using the generic MS driver.

Last edited:
Yeah, I give up. DVI to HDMI didnt change anything. Still the same problem.

Its at this point I contemplate either a 1080p monitor or selling this card and going Nvidia.

Is there something, possibly, that Im just missing?

Edit:
Or is it the monitor? - No, its not going to be the monitor, as I have already shown that it cant be, because it will display x1200 through the intel graphics and through the card using the generic MS driver.

dam....sorry to hear that....i really thought it would have helped....and it sucks rmaing cards due to the down time.....have you tried older drivers just for shits and giggles? and using ddu to clean out the previous drivers. would be nice if sapphire had a rep here or if they would upgrade you to the vapor x fro the aggregation:)

Ok, a minor update.

I decided to go ahead and try some games just because. The only two games I currently have installed are Shadow of Mordor and Grid 2.

Shadow of Mordor, I can only get into 1080p.
Grid plays, and plays well at 1920x1200 and as far as I can tell everything is on screen where it needs to be.

So, I fixed the problem.

I wiped the drive and reinstalled windows and now everything works like it should.

I started to get BSODs, one while trying to play Grid 2, another while in windows(restart).

As stated above, I did not fix the problem. The problem persists.

If I use any driver that is not the manufacturer supplied driver I get the same overscan issue. BSOD and restarts still happen.

I changed the motherboard to a brand new ASUS B85M-G, and swapped out my used Corsair 750W PSU for a brand new EVGA Supernova 750 G2. I have not gamed since this change, but the driver issue persists.

I can only logically conclude that it is a driver issue.

Back