StartIsBack single license $1.25 XMAS ONLY

m3ta1head

Can't beleive I missed this, probably not much time left to snag. By and far the BEST start menu replacement for Windows 8, it essentially restores the Windows 7 start menu with some added features. Worth every penny!

http://www.startisback.com/

I use it and like it. I do notice that it will lag on refreshing once in a while. But overall its great.

Thanks OP, I grabbed the 2 person license ($3.00)..Should go along nicely with my free copy of Windows 8 (thanks to the MediaCenter activation slip up)!!!

For those who missed this deal Classic Shell does the same and it's free.

Not "the same" - but similar. StartIsBack uses native start menu code that was deprecated in Win8's explorer.exe. ClassicShell and the rest are emulators.

Personally I got rid of StartIsBack though - found a reg tweak that boots straight to desktop and bypasses Metro, so between that and just pinning all my apps to the taskbar, I dont need the start menu AND I also dont ever see the failed abortion that is Metro. However I can only work this way through heavy use of Windows key shortcuts, I realize not everyone knows every keyboard shortcut or likes working that way, and for them StartIsBack is ideal. For the couple PC's I built for people over the holiday break I absolutely gave them StartIsBack without hesitation.

I have tested startisback & classic shell & honestly I like pokki better then the others It doesnt try to be like the windows 7 start menu, it tried to be similar & improve..

Both are great. I need my start button :)

Agree. I Guinea piggied my 6yr. old sons Vista 32 system for the Win8 Pro 64 upgrade. It's $40 so "why not" I figured. What a freakin mess Metro is. I played with it for about an hour and only got more frustrated as time went by. IMHO it's the worst PC interface I've ever seen and I've been playing with desktop PC's since "go" in the 80's. Did not take more than a few minutes to install and configure classic shell, get the quicklaunch bar back and disable that stupid arsed "hot" corner. After that it was all good. Boots faster as well. I'll be upgrading my nephews XP Pro 32 systems in a few days and the first thing I'm doing after the Win8 install completes is install classicshell.

That's all I got to say about that... :D

Not "the same" - but similar. StartIsBack uses native start menu code that was deprecated in Win8's explorer.exe. ClassicShell and the rest are emulators.

Personally I got rid of StartIsBack though - found a reg tweak that boots straight to desktop and bypasses Metro, so between that and just pinning all my apps to the taskbar, I dont need the start menu AND I also dont ever see the failed abortion that is Metro. However I can only work this way through heavy use of Windows key shortcuts, I realize not everyone knows every keyboard shortcut or likes working that way, and for them StartIsBack is ideal. For the couple PC's I built for people over the holiday break I absolutely gave them StartIsBack without hesitation.

I just bought a few StartIsBack licenses and if you are willing to post this magical registry tweak you speak of, I just might transition to Windows 8.

In my opinion, StartIsBack is the best start menu option right now. The others are extra programs that have to run at boot and emulate a similar experience. I prefer a true start menu like in Win7.

In my opinion, StartIsBack is the best start menu option right now. The others are extra programs that have to run at boot and emulate a similar experience. I prefer a true start menu like in Win7.

True.. but the emulation is seamless to the end user. Classicstart for instance uses under 2mb on my sons system and he has no idea it's there. I'm going to give SIB a try anyway.

Found this great thread:

Ways to get back the Start Menu/Button in Win8

Lots of choices.

in for 1, I'm perfectly happy with windows 8 Metro interface but if i ever decided to upgrade my moms pc to windows 8 this will definitely help her

I just bought a few StartIsBack licenses and if you are willing to post this magical registry tweak you speak of, I just might transition to Windows 8.

Start is back has native functionality that allows you to bypass metro and boot directly to desktop. Works flawlessly, and there's no perceivable delay whatsoever.

Personally, I like metro and I feel the new modern apps are constantly improving. I use metro for checking weather, reading the news, checking sports scores, and browsing reddit/twitter/instagram-all of which it handles superbly. Hitting windows key to pull up metro for this sort of information is often much faster than opening a browser in desktop and browsing to it manually. I look forward to more dev support and better modern apps. I've moved all the computers in my immediate family to win8 with startisback, and no one has skipped a beat-in fact, the older spec computers run better than they did on win7. I encourage family members and clients to download and use as many metro apps as possible vs desktop apps, as metro apps are idiot proof and it's impossible to catch a virus.

Last edited:
Back