How do I remove/stop an LED on the motherboard?

Trackr

[H]ard|Gawd
So, I am going for a black-white scheme with my current build (specs in sig).

Unfortunately, there is a Power Button next to the RAM slots that shines blue 24/7.

What do I have to do to make it stop? I'm willing to remove the power button, as long as it doesn't risk ruining the board in any way.

Thanks in advance.

+1 to electrical tape.

Check your bios, there may be an option to turn off LEDs. I know my Big Bang Xpower has a bunch of LED lights showing the power phases, and you can manually turn those off.

No, I can't cover it - it's a large button and the light is coming from every crevice.

I am also going for a super-aesthetic thing, so I can't use nail polish, nor tape.

I need to cut the LED power or take off the button.

The only question is - can I do that? Will it not damage the board in any way?

I would not do it simply for the sake of not voiding your warranty.

You probably can desolder it from the board.

Have you checked your bios yet?

If its surface mount LEDs then something solder tweezers work very well. If they're thru hole then you'll need to desolder the leads with either solder-wick, solder sucker, or desoldering station.

I wouldn't personally remove them as they could affect other circuits in a negative way. those circuits may need a load on them so just removing them could leave opens would induce other problems.

And if you're not good at soldering you probably shouldn't attempt something that ambitous.

Isn't there just a way to desolder one pin so that the LED doesn't work?

If its surface mount LEDs then something solder tweezers work very well. If they're thru hole then you'll need to desolder the leads with either solder-wick, solder sucker, or desoldering station.

I wouldn't personally remove them as they could affect other circuits in a negative way. those circuits may need a load on them so just removing them could leave opens would induce other problems.

And if you're not good at soldering you probably shouldn't attempt something that ambitous.

This

Your problem is, the LED is underneath a button. If you were to remove it, you would need to remove the entire unit, which may or may not have adverse consequences on your motherboard. Only a Gigabyte engineer with knowledge of the board's circuits can tell you how safe that operation would be.

Def check ur bios. The Rampage series I can shut em all off or have em on xD

Heat shrink tubing and electrical tape.
-tape for top of button, tubing for around button housing.
See if that works.

Is this Mobo close to yours?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128480

Edit: I think the button might be clipped on from 2 sides and you should be able to tape over the LED. Look at the gray housing, you should be able to lightly pry the side clips.

Last edited:
Can you trace out the circuit board from the LED to see what connects in series with each of its leads? There's got to be a resistor in series with one of them, and disconnecting it will turn off the LED.

Unless you have good desoldering skills and equipment, don't even think of desoldering the LED or resistor, except with a special low temperature solder called Chip Quick. I've never seen it for less than about $13. Here's a video demonstrating it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTQqjggeklo

I know the MSI Eclipse Plus has the option in the BIOS to turn these LEDs off. Maybe you should check under the BIOS and see if it does have the feature, too.

There are many options to cover it,i wouldn"t cut anything.Use imaginaton.Try maybe a cap of something,depending on how big it is,soda, chapstick,caps for switches-there are tons of caps at electronic supplies online - etc.
Don"t take chance on messing with taking off,especially for warranty purposes.

Back