Media Encoding and the 7970?

{NG}Fidel

Supreme [H]ardness
So I am trying to enable hardware encoding with my 7970.
My CCC has it enabled but Media Espresso somehow still doesnt recognize my card is capable!
Has anyone else had this issue?
Is this because of the drivers?
I mean I ask that feeling rather stupid since a couple review sites even included encode performance using the exact same program and gpu!

Nothing??
I figured someone on this forum would have some advice.
I just got the latest update from Cyber link and no good.
Same issue still pissing me off. I cant encode anything

Funny thing is hardware Decode works...
Im using the latest Drivers for the 7970, the beta or off the driver CD Version.
I thought it had AMD APP Acceleration.
Kyle, Steve, Dan, Anyone!?!?!

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/artic...Review/1458/13

oops spoke to soon these guyz got it working somehow.
Exactly what I read and I loved the results.
I have the hardware and its frustrating not being able to take advantage of it.
Also to that other poster...
If it was Cuda only then the Cyber link website would say so.
If you had linked me their to the offical source you and I would both see that it openly supports both AMD and Nvidia.
Now if they havent updated past the Avivio age then im fucked. But then how did Hardware secrets get it to work?

It seems as if it doesnt support the 7970 yet.

http://www.cyberlink.com/products/mediaespresso/system-requirements_en_US.html#ati

Anyone know of a working media encoding program that can take use of this beast of a card?
Im eager to see the performance this card has next to my comparably ancient CPU!

Oh no...
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/po...ionid=3D71EC6B9A24963F9A638FF18667AB64#113396
Looks like I supported the wrong company.
If anyone knows of a better encoding app with a larger and more up to date set of supported hardware well I am all ears.
If i end up having to plug my old 4850 into a spare PCI-e slot ill jut about blow my brains out.

Last edited:
Lol I just posted that same link. It was rather depressing then and it still is now...
Thanks though, looks like you really did some checking into the issue and for that I appreciate you.
I shall make this my personal issue and once its remedied ill be sure to post back on the hard. Until then if anyone knows a work-around or has another solution be sure to share.

Use Handbrake and get better quality encodes in general?

Handbrake you say? It supports the 7970?
At this point as much as I want quality the prefrence is towards actual support in the first place. Quality is meaningless if it means i have to wait 45 more minutes to encode things.

Handbrake you say? It supports the 7970?
At this point as much as I want quality the prefrence is towards actual support in the first place. Quality is meaningless if it means i have to wait 45 more minutes to encode things.

Good luck with that. I've fought the fight with Cuda support, and had my asshole ripped on multiple forums over the subject. It's NOT going to happen without support from AMD/Nvidia.

:rolleyes:

It's just that with the current state of media encoding, the fastest multicore CPU's are capable of higher quality than a GPU with any given encoding time. That was the case last year, and I don't expect it to change in 2012. Handbrake scales extremely well with multicore CPU's, so with the 8+ cores available today and the flexibility of an x86 cpu it works better than gpu accelerated encoding.

Everything I have seen suggests the opposite..

Good luck with that. I've fought the fight with Cuda support, and had my asshole ripped on multiple forums over the subject. It's NOT going to happen without support from AMD/Nvidia.

Sigh, sad to hear its the same on the green team..I just dont understand how that one site reviewed the 7970s encoding performance...
That doesnt fucking add up.

Same with the 6970s, I had a crack at it, the complexity in even finding the software to do it is a bad start. Then to find out the support and formats supported was absolute tripe so it was a big waste of time.

If AMD wants to keep its lead over intel in low/mid as intel delves into GPUs over these next years, it needs to solve this problem. Cheap cpu with awesome media encoding gpu performance is a bonus for most consumers...

Make a post over on AMD's forums and their Facebook page. Someone will notice that.

There was an article on another tech site from either Tom's Hardware, Anandtech or similar that tested accelerated video encoding using a Core i7 CPU, AMD GPU and Nvidia GPU. (I think an AMD CPU was tossed in as well, but I don't remember.)

The best quality video in first was actually the Core i7 CPU but the third fastest. (The gap is pretty small with the high end Intel CPU they had.)

The next best quality video with very good speed that came in second in both was the AMD GPU.

The Nvidia GPU-based encoding came last due to bad video quality but the best speed out of the three.

So, that got me thinking: Software that takes advantage of the GPU to do video encoding isn't mature yet, and that the quality and speed of the video depends on manufacturer and developer:
The AMD accelerated video encoding in CCC was very good in quality, decent speed but the GPU lacks support from many video encoders accelerated via the GPU. AMD will have to work on pushing for support in this area.

The Nvidia accelerated video encoding had the worst quality but the best speed and the best support thanks to CUDA being pushed aggressively by Nvidia.

Only the CPU-based encoding had the best support out of the three, the best quality, but the third best speed. (It was probably off by a FPS or two or three FPS behind the Nvidia and AMD GPUs.) However, the gap is closing thanks to high end CPUs coming from Intel with QuickSync. In other review sites that reviewed the AMD FX series shows that even that CPU is very good at video encoding, close to i7 speed if I recall. So, if you want to go this route, the CPU has the best support and quality but you'll need a beefy multi-core CPU to do it.​

Last edited:
It seems as if the Windows 7 Built in media encoder is utilizing my GPU. Only because its taking half the time as any of the other programs and my gpu has small bouts of activity. Nothing major but more than normal for me while idling. Realllly hoping this isnt some wishful thinking on my part.
Looking into it.

Hardware video encoding works for me in MediaEspresso using 2 x 7970s though it only used a maximum of 81% of one of the 7970's.

Media Espresso 6.5 Build 2119.41281

Details of Video Converted
File Format: .MTS
Length: 18 seconds
Video Resolution: 1920x1080
Video Codec: H264 - Mpeg-4 AVC(part10)(h264)
Frame Rate: 60 FPS
Audio Codec: A52 Audio(AC3)
Recording Device: HDR-XR160 in highest quality recording mode
File Size: 48.9 MB

Details of Custom Profile in MediaEspresso
Designed For Device: Asus Transformer Prime(1200x800 resolution)
Video Output File Format: .MP4
Video Output Format: H.264
Video Output Resolution: 1280x720
Video Output Bitrate: 6 Mbps
Video Output Frame Rate: 24 fps
Audio Output Format: AAC
Audio Output Sampling Rate: 44.1 Khz
Audio Output Bitrate: 256 Kbps
TrueTheater AutoLight: Enabled
TrueTheater Denoise: Enabled
TrueTheater HD: Enabled
Profile: Better Quality

Time to Encode
GPU Acceleration Enabled:42 seconds
GPU Acceleration Disabled 1 minute 38 seconds

If you don't turn on the image enhancement features. IE the TrueTheater options but leave the profile on Quality
GPU Acceleration Enabled: 18 seconds
GPU Acceleration Disabled: 16 seconds

Same Video HandBrake Encode Settings everything not mentioned left at defaults
Picture Tab->Anamorphic: None
Picture Tab->Width:1920 Height: 720
Video Tab->Video Codec: H.264
Video Tab->FrameRate: 24 FPS
Audio Tab->Audio Codec:AAC
Audio Tab->Mixdown: Stereo
Audio Tab->Sample Rate: 44.1
Audio Tab->Bitrate: 256

20 seconds from time of job start to work: average encoding speed for job

Using VLC and the frame at a time I went to the same portion of both video's looking at some text that appeared on a wall. All I can say is that the Handbrake Regular->Normal preset with the above changes video definitely looked clearer than the MediaEspresso video with all of the TrueTheater options enabled and the Better Quality profile on. This type of thing is very subjective though so I'll leave that to you guys to decide. For me though the Handbrake video was better defined than the MediaEspresso file which looked very ....smudgy if that's a word.

Last edited:
Which ATi Drivers are you using? I just downloaded and installed the Saphire drivers from their website.
Much more support for the GPUs features. Some of the programs have now seen the 7970 but simply stall upon starting the encode. Ill try Espresso again now.

using the drivers from AMD's site along with 11.12 cap 3 Driver is RC11. There are a few video apps that claim to have GPU accelerated features pointed out over on AMD's site though I couldn't tell you if any of them are taking full advantage of the Radeon HD 79xx series

Back