Help Wanted for monitor decisions

J926

n00b
Earlier this month I built a new desktop and purchased two Planar PX2710MW's. First thing I noticed in comparison to my friends Viewsonic VX2739wm was the backlight bleed. Every side and corner had significant bleeding and one monitor had some dead pixels on the right middle side. I initially decided to exchange for new ones, and decided to test these to see if it would be a return or not.

The input lag I experienced after hooking up the Xbox360 via VGA was very low and noticeably lower than my cheap plasma tv hooked up via VGA and set to it's native resolution. The quality of the image was decent but I had not the time to properly adjust the screen, but was overall happy with it. My main concern was input lag (wasn't expecting back-light bleeding) and that turned out to be a non issue.

So here I am shipping the monitors back because the extensive back light bleed and I'm back to the drawing board for monitor decisions. I called Planar and asked about that models back light bleed and was told that they have not heard many complaints in that regard, but many amazon reviews included that (not much weight given to these). I've been looking at all other 27" and excluding those above $500. Features I'm looking for in a monitor are: 27", 2ms response time (or as close to as possible), low input lag (preferably under 16ms if tested), 120hz or lower (Yes I know 120hz won't benefit console use), DVI & VGA ports, under $500, and newly added a back-light bleed that doesn't frame the entire monitor...

Do I:
1. Switch it to exchange and receive two more PX2710MW's (if I do this I'm stuck with dealing with planar for exchanges)
2. Look at new monitors? if so here are a few I'm researching input lag for:
A) ASUS VE278Q
B) Acer HN274Hbmiiid
C) SAMSUNG P2770FH
D) Any other that fits this category...

Any information will be appreciated.

I have until tomorrow to make a decision, and I'm constantly researching information for these monitors in relation to the features I'm wanting.

The Acer HN274 sucks
http://www.digitalversus.com/lcd-monitor/acer-hn274h-p10836/test.html

The Asus VE278Q is good but has 18ms of input lag
http://www.digitalversus.com/lcd-monitor/asus-ve278q-p10118/test.html

Samsung S27A350H is good, it won't have any input lag
http://www.pcmonitors.org/monitor-reviews/samsung-s27a350h

The HP 2711x is another good option if you want a glossy display. Cnet says the P2770FH isn't very good due to having a major green color push.

Only PRAD.de measures input lag correctly so ignore other websites numbers. Can't tell you how the planar compares input lag or performance wise but you can run into the same light bleeding issues with any monitor. I had a VX2739wm and it had terrible bleeding along with poor colors. 99% of the time you don't have to worry about input lag but there are exceptions.

Ok, yeah I enjoy tftcentral's explanation of input lag and how they test as well as Prad.de. To be honest whenever I read a digital versus section on input lag I don't trust it for some reason and I've read about their results being off compared to the others. Whether they're right or wrong I'll look more into that 18ms asus.

Thanks for the input. I'm off to Ochem lecture, but I'll be back to searching later tonight.

There's no DVI Input on the S27A350H and I have yet to read up on connecting HDMI vs DVI for my GTX 580s.

Other than that I'm almost debating switching to replace these monitors and deal with the back light bleed.

I was reading the other thread where two individuals were asking about 27" monitors and so I looked up the S27A850 and have been researching input lag on that as well.

Back