ASUS - Official AMD 9xx Chipset Series Motherboard Support

Raja@ASUS

ASUS Community Support
This thread will be used to provide official support for ASUS AMD 9** series chipset motherboards. Share your experience, tips tricks and place support/technical queries in this thread please. :)

Grab chipset drivers from here and install these first:

http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/AMD_AM3Plus/Crosshair_V_Formula/#download

11.5 AHCI Drivers
http://files.3dnews.org/pub/drivers/ati/

Intel Lan Drivers (Crosshair V Formula)
http://www.mediafire.com/file/yaca3j11m6g7c9n/Intel_LAN_V15600_XpVistaWin7.zip

Realtek Lan Drivers
http://www.mediafire.com/file/quq1xnttdjqbc9o/Realtek_LAN_V5782_V6247_V743_XpVistaWin7.zip

Sabertooth 990FX BIOSes:

0705: http://www.mediafire.com/file/f4d63flhkrc2bcv/SABERTOOTH-990FX-ASUS-0705.ROM

Crosshair V Formula beta BIOSes:

Two new beta BIOSes.

Fix improves NB Core frequency stability after making changes in UEFI:

0051 is with S3:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/2ni62jzj34qyjjo/CrosshairV-Formula-ASUS-0051.rar

0052 is without S3, for extreme overclocking:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/o2a4dtxbaniybn7/CrosshairV-Formula-ASUS-0052.ROM

Last edited:
This thread will be used to provide official support for ASUS AMD 9** series chipset motherboards. Share your experience, tips tricks and place support/technical queries in this thread please. :)

Grab chipset drivers from here and install these first:

http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/AMD_AM3Plus/Crosshair_V_Formula/#download

Intel LAN is great, but that is an expensive motherboard for having only one of them. Is a more expensive motherboard with dual LAN coming?

Set this to Ignore to prevent the low fan RPM warning.

fancontrol.jpg

-Raja

I've also tried that. Based on my last few cold boots, I now get the CPU fan error about 1 in 4 boots.

I've also found that using the 'fixed' Intel LAN driver file (that I myself suggested using in another thread) works fine for file copies (99% network utilisation, 112MB/sec transfers), but when encoding HD video over the network its around 10-20% slower than it should be. I get 'full' speed if I use an Intel CT card with the unmodified drivers.

I've also tried that. Based on my last few cold boots, I now get the CPU fan error about 1 in 4 boots.

I've also found that using the 'fixed' Intel LAN driver file (that I myself suggested using in another thread) works fine for file copies (99% network utilisation, 112MB/sec transfers), but when encoding HD video over the network its around 10-20% slower than it should be. I get 'full' speed if I use an Intel CT card with the unmodified drivers.

Will report these back to HQ tomorrow. What fan are you using?

-Raja

Thanks Raja.

I'm using 2 Akasa Apache 120mm PWM fans, plugged into the CPU_FAN and OPT_CPU headers.

Thanks Raja.

It's back to giving me the CPU fan error on every boot now. :)

Thanks Raja.

It's back to giving me the CPU fan error on every boot now. :)

Hi EAC,

Which BIOS version are you running??

The 009 BIOS onwards should not have this problem apparently.

-Raja

Last edited:
Added BIOSes 0027 and 0028 for the C5F to 1st post.

-Raja

Last edited:
Hi Raja, I'm using the BIOS the board came with - 0404. I might give a newer BIOS a try, just not overly keen on beta BIOSes.

Excellent, glad it helped.

-Raja

The first problem I had with the Crosshair V Formula was that my system would hang when restarting during post. That was resolved when I moved my Logitech usb keyboard down away from my G9 usb mouse to another port.

My second problem was I would get a blue screen memory management crash from a cold boot while windows was loading. I resolved that after tweaking a few setting for my ram. I got the idea of what to try after carefully reading your guide :)

Right now it's all rock stable and I'm experimenting with overclocking.

Cool, let me know if there's anything you want clarification on.

-Raja

I've been trying to get my Crosshair V Formula working for 2 days now with no luck whatsoever.

The red led for 'boot devices' stays a constant red, when I change settings on initial bios setup and click 'save & restart' it exits BIOS but the computer doesn't actually restart and I just get a Signal not found from my monitor.

I initially thought it might be shorting because of an additional riser I'd left installed, took it out and the problems persist.

When I enter the UFI bios all my hardware is detected correctly so I can't figure it out, I've even tried changing around the RAM but there are no errors in it. Tried rotating sata cables...etc...reseating everything, nothing. Seems the board is something of a piece of crap at the moment.

The times when I can randomly get past bios and into POST it tells me: "Overclocking failed! Please enter setup to re-configure your system." despite me not overclocking anything or changing any settings.

Specs:
AMD Phenom II X6 1090T
4x Crucial Ballistix 2GB 1333MHz PC10600
2x Hitachi 3.5" SATA III 3TB/7200RPM/64MB HDD's
1x MSI AMD Radeon R6870 Twin Frozor II (In the top PCI-E slot)

I'd really like to get this working...

EDIT: I meant to put this into a thread not as a reply, if any mods could split it i'd be thankful ;)

Last edited:
i presume you already reset the cmos. i was reading you should switch off the computer and unplug the power cord, wait a while for static to dissipate. then hold the cmos in for 5 seconds. probly not help, but only takes a minute,

I've done that a crapload of times, no difference. After I've done it and gone through setup again the same thing happens, system doesn't restart properly and upon a manual power off/on the Boot device led still stays solid red and I have to go through it all over again.

i had a similar problem with my memory, and discovered i hyadn't seated the sticks correctly, therefore fawlty connection. bad ssd/hdd ? no spare.

I've reseated the RAM multiple times and in multiple configurations, no use. And the HDD's are both new and I've even tried a third, all check out fine on other rigs too.

youm know overclockers uk forum ? maybe quicker to get help/advice in there as many people use it. it is amainly a brit site site though which might mean everyone's gone to bed. i can get the link if you require.
no disrespect to this site intended.

The IOMMU doesn't appear to work on my M5A99X Evo.

The 970X chipset is listed as having the IOMMU. The BIOS has a single option for IOMMU (Disabled or 64Mb), however regardless of these settings the IOMMU does not work in VMWare ESXi and the module cannot be manually loaded as the IOMMU is not present. All other virtualization options are on and work correctly.

Can this be fixed in a BIOS update or is there something else missing on this board?

I'm interested in buying ASUS M5A97 EVO but have two questions.

1) I need to know what is the maximum supported CPU voltage on this motherboard? I need at least 1.55V for my PII 555 that does 4200mhz.

2) Does the motherboard support core unlocking? My cpu does unlock all 4 cores and runs at 4200mhz on the the same voltage. Confirmed on MSI board.

Thanks for any experience you have with the M5A97 EVO.

The IOMMU doesn't appear to work on my M5A99X Evo.

The 970X chipset is listed as having the IOMMU. The BIOS has a single option for IOMMU (Disabled or 64Mb), however regardless of these settings the IOMMU does not work in VMWare ESXi and the module cannot be manually loaded as the IOMMU is not present. All other virtualization options are on and work correctly.

Can this be fixed in a BIOS update or is there something else missing on this board?

I'm interested in your findings if you get any where with this. I know AMD provides IOMMU on certain chipsets, but it's up to the board manufacturer to implement it. It can be like pulling teeth getting any information on which boards support it short of trial and error. We shouldn't have to buy boards just to see if it has a feature we are looking for! I hope you get it working.

Raja do you have any idea why AI Suite II wouldn't install on the Crosshair V Formula?

I'm using a full patched version of Win 7 HP x64 SP1. I've tried the version from the CD and the latest from Asus download. I've tried getting them to install in compatibility mode for Vista as well. (Someone suggested this.)

The installation exe starts then does nothing no matter what I try.

Raja do you have any idea why AI Suite II wouldn't install on the Crosshair V Formula?

I'm using a full patched version of Win 7 HP x64 SP1. I've tried the version from the CD and the latest from Asus download. I've tried getting them to install in compatibility mode for Vista as well. (Someone suggested this.)

The installation exe starts then does nothing no matter what I try.

Can you try this patch please:

[ame="http://www.megaupload.com/?d=OPUANH8I"]MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service[/ame]

Run it as administrator and see if that helps.

-Raja

I came across a strange error with the Crosshair V Formula yesterday.

With an Asus/AMD HD6870 installed in PCIe x16#1, the PC takes much longer than normal to post, the post LEDs indicating that the VGA and RAM are being repeatedly tested. Once it does post and boots into Windows 7, all appears fine except none of the ASMedia USB3 controllers are detected.

With either an HD6970 or old HD5850, there are no problems. This is with BIOS 0506, with no other cards installed, and also occurs with a fresh Windows 7 installation.

I came across a strange error with the Crosshair V Formula yesterday.

With an Asus/AMD HD6870 installed in PCIe x16#1, the PC takes much longer than normal to post, the post LEDs indicating that the VGA and RAM are being repeatedly tested. Once it does post and boots into Windows 7, all appears fine except none of the ASMedia USB3 controllers are detected.

With either an HD6970 or old HD5850, there are no problems. This is with BIOS 0506, with no other cards installed, and also occurs with a fresh Windows 7 installation.

Hi EAC,

Is there any specific model name for the card ASUS HD6870 (or just a basic model), need the info to report to HQ..

Also can you try these NIC drivers (if not tried already):

ftp://ftp.asus.com.tw/pub/ASUS/mb/socketAM3/Crosshair_IV_Extreme/Intel_LAN_V117321003.zip

-Raja

Last edited:
Hi Raja,

The card is an Asus EAH6870, basically a reference HD6870. I forgot to point out in my previous post that the card works fine in a couple of other boards I tried it with, including a Crosshair IV Formula.

Those are the NIC drivers I have been running, and recommending others use, as they are in my experience the only ones that don't cause a BSOD. I should point out though, that these drivers are not, like I previously implied, the cause of lesser performance when video encoding over a network. I eventually traced that to my RAID-0 VelociRaptors.

It would be nice to get some working non-beta LAN drivers at some point though.

Cool, I'll relay the card info back and they will try to replicate.

-Raja

Back