Is there a true successor to the Logitech MX Revolution?

fury

Limp Gawd
Logitech claims that the Performance Mouse MX is the successor to the discontinued MX Revolution (RIP). Bullshit. Fewer buttons and you have to click a hardware gear now to switch the scroll mode :rolleyes: I live and die by inching my scroll wheel slowly to nudge down a page or select the next item in a list box, and then not having to take my finger off it to flick down to the bottom. Unfortunately, I've flicked and inched and clicked and flung that scroll wheel so hard that the middle click button is getting increasingly harder and harder to register a click in the system, and when it does, it usually registers 2 or 3 middle clicks by the time I let off the button. The button itself clicks down just like normal, but then I have to press harder down onto it in order to register a middle click. It's looking like it's about time to replace it.

eBay has a few options, all in questionably used condition. I'm not against buying a used mouse, but it may end up the same. In fact, if I bought another MX Revolution I would need for it to be the older model of MX Revolution (2006, aka part number 831869-0000) because in 2009 I did go out and buy a 2007 model when I learned they were about to be discontinued, but in that newer model, they changed something about the scroll wheel that bugged me and it didn't work right. Instead of scrolling pages or items (like a list box) in a click-by-click fashion, it was in continuous smooth scroll mode and the only difference between that and free spin was the wheel stopping between notches. In other words, the scroll would move "smoothly" between detents regardless of whether it had moved a full click yet or not, defeating the purpose of the click-by-click motion I have come to know and love on the one I have. It's hard to describe. But it made gaming, middle-clicking, or scrolling through items in lists a pain in the ass. The scroll would move ever so slightly, causing it to move to the previous or next item (scrolling up and down in list boxes, weapon switches while middle-clicking to do zoom or alt-fire, etc), or move the link out of my way and misfire the middle-click into a circa-1990s auto-scroll. (who with this kind of mouse ever uses middle-click autoscroll anymore?)

Yeah, I know, that is a really, really ridiculously esoteric difference to get caught up on, but it bothered me so much that I returned that 2007 model and kept on going with my limp click 2006 model. I'd rather have a scroll that stays put until I rotate the wheel and just put up with the hard middle click if I can't find an exact replacement. Thus, that limits my chances of finding a good one on eBay, since the new ones are all the 2007 model.

So, is there any REAL successor to the MX Revolution (in terms of number of buttons and scroll wheel behavior), or should I just keep betting on the chance somebody has collected a stash of the older models and buy myself a lifetime supply?

take a razor blade and clean the gunk in between the mouse buttons and wheel, blow hard to get the gunk out.

I have done it once made the wheel nice and smooth, I have to do it again soon.

if you're feeling brave and dont mind taking the feet and unscrewing 5 screws to properly get it clean

Here are the feet and the 4 screws you need to take off
img02620.jpg

You see the giant dust bunny? it keeps going towards the inside, so remove the screw on the front, and pop off the wheel, use a qtip and clean the inside of the wheel housing, and the senor posts(clear)
img02590.jpg

the amount of gunk is astounding
img0261x.jpg

I don't have a soultion, but I share your pain.:(

I allowed Logitech to replace my MX Revolution that would double click when pressing the left button with a Performance Mouse MX. I didn't do enough research to realize they messed up the scroll wheel with the PM MX. Seems to defeat the purpose of such a great scroll wheel.

Hallelujah! After seeing how easy it is to pop it open, I went for it. I'm always so averse to doing this because I never get the feet back on quite right, but in this case, it gave me back my middle click! There was cat hair between the switch on the board and the point on the wheel mechanism that presses down on it.

I had to reseat the wheel assembly a couple times because I had either jammed the scroll wheel with the upper shell of the mouse or it wasn't aligned with the scrolling sensors properly and missing out, but in the end, the surgery went well and my MX Revolution lives to middle-click another day :) Thanks a lot!

Now, getting it to charge reliably is another story... any magic combination to that?

Now, getting it to charge reliably is another story... any magic combination to that?

what do you mean? the base doesnt charge the mouse when you set it on it?

what do you mean? the base doesnt charge the mouse when you set it on it?

Yeah. I have to fiddle around with it for sometimes 5 minutes before the mouse will start charging. It will light up briefly, and then give me the bad battery light. Sometimes just nudging it a bit will get it to start charging up, other times I have to take a cleaning solution and clean off the contacts and the pins before it will charge (thus the 5 minutes, since I let it dry before trying again)

yeah, I am having the same problem, I nudge the top towards me so the bottom moves closer to the contacts, or sideways to get a clean patch with the contacts

If anyone is interested, I rebuilt my MX Revolution because it is simply the nicest wireless mouse ever made (nothing can compare to it, ive been looking for a long time and only came up with the Razer Mamba as even remotely comparable).

Its super easy to take apart as you found out, and you can get replacement parts on ebay. I bought some replacement mouse feet that are apparently teflon and very slick.
Also replaced my faling battery with a supposed OEM logitech (only cost me $8 shipped). It has been working amazingly for the last year (get around 5-7 days out of a charge). I also disassembled the click wheel, cleaned everything, and re-greased the "bearing" with some silicone grease. Works better than the day I bought it :)

If anyone is interested, I rebuilt my MX Revolution because it is simply the nicest wireless mouse ever made (nothing can compare to it, ive been looking for a long time and only came up with the Razer Mamba as even remotely comparable).

Its super easy to take apart as you found out, and you can get replacement parts on ebay. I bought some replacement mouse feet that are apparently teflon and very slick.
Also replaced my faling battery with a supposed OEM logitech (only cost me $8 shipped). It has been working amazingly for the last year (get around 5-7 days out of a charge). I also disassembled the click wheel, cleaned everything, and re-greased the "bearing" with some silicone grease. Works better than the day I bought it :)
That's great.

Is the MX Revolution considered "good" for gaming? I have one but haven't used it for gaming in a couple years and just starting to build my gaming PC again. Would I be better off with a different mouse if the MX revolution causes "lag?"

That's great.

Is the MX Revolution considered "good" for gaming? I have one but haven't used it for gaming in a couple years and just starting to build my gaming PC again. Would I be better off with a different mouse if the MX revolution causes "lag?"

I love it for MMOs. Having a ton of buttons is incredibly useful. Unfortunately, the sensor is only 800 DPI which makes it unsuitable for fps, at least for me. I'm not sure what you mean about lag. Wireless lag? Doesn't exist in any recent mice afaik. CPU lag? Logitech's drivers are pretty bloated but any computer newer than the stone age should still be able to handle it. I think you might've been exposed to too much Razer marketing ;).

I love it for MMOs. Having a ton of buttons is incredibly useful. Unfortunately, the sensor is only 800 DPI which makes it unsuitable for fps, at least for me. I'm not sure what you mean about lag. Wireless lag? Doesn't exist in any recent mice afaik. CPU lag? Logitech's drivers are pretty bloated but any computer newer than the stone age should still be able to handle it. I think you might've been exposed to too much Razer marketing ;).
I see.

I also have the wireless thin logitech keyboard. But what you just said dispels the "Input lag/wireless lag"

Is there another wireless mouse that has good DPI that I should get?

I see.

I also have the wireless thin logitech keyboard. But what you just said dispels the "Input lag/wireless lag"

Is there another wireless mouse that has good DPI that I should get?

Just to be clear: input lag isn't a real problem anymore, but that doesn't mean wireless is ideal for gaming. You still have to deal with problems like interference and batteries dying. Whether dealing with them is worth it is up to you.

Anyway, if you like mice with a ton of buttons like the revo, there's the g700 or naga epic.

Otherwise, I'd say just get a fairly cheap (but still good quality) one like a G7. Despite all the marketing claims, you don't need 6000 DPI or whatever ridiculously high DPI they're selling now.

I use the click-to-click scrolling only on the wheel and then programed the worthless zoom button to be the middle button. I never tried the revolution but so far I am happy with the performance, however I have only had it for a week.

I use the click-to-click scrolling only on the wheel and then programed the worthless zoom button to be the middle button. I never tried the revolution but so far I am happy with the performance, however I have only had it for a week.

You can reassign the wheel click to be middle button. You might have to use uberoptions to do it though.

You can reassign the wheel click to be middle button. You might have to use uberoptions to do it though.

That is what it is by default, but I want a button not the wheel click. I have other logitech mice that have a middle button. But this "top of the line" mouse does not.

That is what it is by default, but I want a button not the wheel click. I have other logitech mice that have a middle button. But this "top of the line" mouse does not.

Yeah, the default button config is full retard.

My Performance MX config for those who cares:

standard right and left, forward and back
zoom -> cut
"secret button" -> paste
left on wheel -> lower volume
right on wheel -> raise volume
wheel click -> my third button, though this button is particularly annoying to press

I have the Revolution, MX1100, and Performance. Out of all of them, I do like the Performance the most. The Revolution's thumb wheel wasn't that great... sorta useless to me at least. And it does have four thumb buttons in a very good layout. I'll take the Performance's 4 programmable buttons over another wheel any day. Also, its not even a true wheel (for those who dont know)... its merely a 3-position rocker switch that you cant actually spin. Its rather akward to use since its rather stiff, and it always gets in the way of where my thumb wants to rest. And the Revolution has that akward charger system while the Performance has the one like the G700 that you can plug in and charge on the fly. Thats worlds better IMO. My Revolution is back in the box since the Performance came out.

I have the Revolution, MX1100, and Performance. Out of all of them, I do like the Performance the most. The Revolution's thumb wheel wasn't that great... sorta useless to me at least. And it does have four thumb buttons in a very good layout. I'll take the Performance's 4 programmable buttons over another wheel any day. Also, its not even a true wheel (for those who dont know)... its merely a 3-position rocker switch that you cant actually spin. Its rather akward to use since its rather stiff, and it always gets in the way of where my thumb wants to rest. And the Revolution has that akward charger system while the Performance has the one like the G700 that you can plug in and charge on the fly. Thats worlds better IMO. My Revolution is back in the box since the Performance came out.

And you don't miss the wheel? I can't live without it.

My favorite mouse was the MX1000 and my main one started to have the double click with a single left click issue.
Logitech didn't have any more MX1000's available and was offering me the standard MX1100 since they didn't have any of the rechargeable MX1100's in stock.
I was able to pay the difference and get the Performance MX since it was rechargeable and it is very good but just doesn't feel like my MX1000. the side buttons on the MX1000 are more ergonomic for me.

Also, my MX1000 would have issues initiating a charge when put into the cradle, so I used some sandpaper to clean the metal contacts on the mouse and on the cradle.

Couldn't help but hop in here. (Oddly, again in the mice section.) I'll also apologize for my long winded post up front.

Sadly, no, there's not anything really close to the MX Revolution, or even the MX1000.

On the upside, the Performance MX, I will say, IS a good mouse. The ability to work on glass literally as perfectly as on a mousepad is almost worth it on its own. The Thumb 'button' underneath your thumb I got used to real quick (set to ye olde Document Flip in Win7). The forward and back buttons were not terribly to my preference, being a little too small and indistinguishable, not to mention that stupid little DPI button (that got reassigned *real* quick on my part) weren't useful as a trio all together.

The biggest loss is the auto-smooth-scrolling. The ability to have proper click-scrolling normally and if you're at the end of a long document and need to get up top just flicking pretty good on the wheel to get to the top... it can't be beaten.

When my Revolution died, I did end up going to the Performance MX. My second Revolution lasted well over 3 years before I got that ridiculous double-clicking on a single click that seems prevalent with all Logitech mice nowadays. It drives me up the wall, kills my productivity, and destroys my gaming enjoyment.

The Performance MX was a good replacement. Right up until it exhibited the exact same double-clicking on a single click issue. Unfortunately, it wasn't 3 years, it was just under a year when it started doing that. Considering I missed some of the features of the Revolution, I figured I'd take a peek at 'new' mice on the market.

The Razor mice... I absolute abhorred the Mamba. Horrible ergonomics for My hand (although it seems suited to some other people's hands). The wheel was... unpleasant but functional. The battery life was ridiculously pathetic. Reception, while at 1000 Hz poll times, was finnicky at best. I was Not impressed. I might have gotten a 'bad' one, to be fair, and it happens to everyone... but the ergonomics of the mouse didn't suit me, so I didn't worry about it, I just returned it and moved on.

Most of Razor's mice worth mentioning are wired, which I just won't deal with. There's no real reason for it given today's technologies. Contrary to hype, wireless is so close to the efficiency and latency of wired that it's almost a moot point. The occasional, and not constant, addition of 1-2 ms (currently) latency between my click and my program's response is just never going to make a difference for me.

Going back to Logitech, when this Performance MX started double clicking a couple months ago, money issues necessitated extensive research until I got paid again. *snicker*

I looked through everything I could find, and ended up going with the Logitech G700 mouse. A friend of mine had it, and had been singing its praises for about two months. So far, I'm fairly impressed. The extra buttons, contrary to my initial fears, don't seem to get in the way at all. I was very much afraid of that. I have large hands, but they're not ridiculous, so something with buttons down the front of the left mouse button is a concern. It hasn't even remotely been an issue. The G700 uses a "gaming grade" laser, up to 5700 dpi, if you so choose. You can set the X & Y axis separately, and the buttons for changing dpi on the fly are pretty much intuitive after about 5 minutes of use. You can set the polling rate to various settings (125, 200, 250, 333, 500, 1000) so for those that insist that that microsecond of time between click and reception might possibly maybe make a difference you can use it that way (at the cost of battery life, of course). Mine's been set at 500, which appears to be the default (as I've not changed it) and I get between 20 and 40 hours of usage before I have to plug it up for charging.

That I'll comment on as well. Unlike the performance mx, the charging cable for the G700 is seamless, smooth, easy to both plug and unplug, and stays plugged in, not to mention doesn't get in the way any more than any other mouse wire would. Designed similar to the Mamba's connector cable, it slides into a specific grooved section in the front of the mouse and looks *almost* close enough of a fit to be a wired mouse period. Vastly superior, in my opinion, the the Performance MX's clunky hard-plastic connector that extends about an inch in front of the mouse, and was a PITA to actually connect to the mouse. Also, on that note... you can literally use the G700 wired forever and it'll function just fine, and better than most wired mouse out there.

On the downside: I started looking at the box, the left and right click are rated for "8 million clicks" per the disclaimers on the side. Sounds great, but is really kinda sad.

Cleaning your MX Revolution is probably the best bet up front, if it's just your wheel giving you issues. If you're getting double clicks, it's actually the physical switch they use that's going bad, and I've yet to see anything you can do to fix it.

Between the two mice, the Performance MX and the G700 (the two most likely replacements for an MX Revolution, in my opinion), both have their advantages. The Performance is just a smidge more comfortable but with buttons that sometimes get in the way of each other. The G700, while not quite as comfortable, has buttons that are easier to use, lacks the darklight laser, has the variable polling rates and (if you want it) 5700 dpi. Trade offs in both directions. I'm happier with the G700 than I was with the Performance MX, but only marginally. I still use the (double clicking) performance MX to read with, for example, but that's me. My girlfriend opted to replace her Performance MX (that was exhibiting the same double click issue) with another Performance MX, as an example, and is as delighted with it now as she was when she got it. *shrug*

I would not, personally, buy a used mouse, but that's me. I resigned myself to losing my Revolution when cleaning no longer resolved the issues I was seeing with it. It's like the G15.

I swear, Logitech has some sick twisted sadistic bastard that intentionally designs something exceptionally beautiful and functional, makes sure it'll fail in one to three years (as any sane business person would (unfortunately)), discontinues said product, and then laughs as we mourn the loss of what we loved. Same person then goes on to design multiple products that are "almost" as good as the initial product but lacking some key component, and then enjoys our misery as a collective whole (not to mention our money). That's entirely personal opinion, mind you, but there it is.

On the downside: I started looking at the box, the left and right click are rated for "8 million clicks" per the disclaimers on the side. Sounds great, but is really kinda sad.

Interesting. I hadn't noticed that figure, and it pales in comparison to the 50 million operations that say, a Cherry MX Blue switch is rated for, it's still a lot.

Assuming 5 thousand clicks per day, every day, those buttons should be good for over 4 years. And most users probably don't click their mouse buttons anywhere near 5,000 times per day. Besides, in 4 years we'll probably have the G900x or G10k Ultra Leet Wireless Gaming Mouse and the G700 will be old news. :)

I'm thinking of picking up a NAGA MMO EPIC. Comes out tomorrow. What do you guys think?

I too thought I would absolutely hate not having the super fast scrolling but im dealing with it just fine these days actually.

how is it any different than the one on the MX1100 or performance? maybe Ill have to get mine out and look at it again.

When you scroll fast it automatically goes into free spinning mode. You don't have to push the stupid button.

Fury - I too am sorry in advance for my long post

Verahsa - note, there is a replacement

Hallelujah! There is a direct (sort of) replacement for the old Tried and True MX Revolution, albeit much more costly now.

Apparently Logitech in their rapacious quest for unbridled profits from every sector (a tiny joke) has chosen to package and sell the "old" MX revolution ONLY as part of a mouse keyboard combination the MX 5500!

http://www.logitech.com/en-us/mice-pointers/mice-keyboard-combos/devices/3481

The only real difference I can find is, it's Bluetooth not USB.

I foolishly ended up replacing my MX Revolution that no longer charged - within the warranty period, expecting a direct replacement.
I was horrified when what I got in return was the Performance Mouse MX which for me was a huge leap backward!
i.e.Thumb always hits flip buttons, poorer wheel functions etc. and honestly I dont care if it works on glass!

I sent it back and after much discussion about the improved features of the new Mouse, they found there is a replacement, only with a catch.
You must buy a keyboard with it! It's a package deal and they wont break them up. So another $69.95 for the kit!
So I did it and honestly despite some initial screeching about keyboard differences (from MS Wireless laser 7000);
It has now settled in and plays with others quite nicely.

Bottom line if you NEED and LOVE the old MX revolution you can still get it with an improved (?) bluetooth interface.
And only if you don't mind choking up $169.95 for it with the keyboard combo package.

Oh and it doesn't work on glass either.

Thats my story and I'm sticking to it.

Tim

Last edited:
I dont know if I am late but my MX1000 had a charging issue as well. I just hit the contacts with a cleaning cloth and or the infamous white eraser to get rid of dirt. Also you could trying bending the pins on the base alittle to get the contacts to touch better.

Just curious, but is the Performance MX any larger than the MX1100? The thumb support at least looks much wider.

I've had the MX900, MX1000 (still using it at the office with its dodgey charging station) and went for the MX1100 OEM version just over a year ago. None of these have enough support for my ring and pinky fingers.

As for the scroll wheel, I've never experienced the MX Revolution, but I don't think I can live without the free spinning wheel on the MX1100. The only time I switch it to click mode is for viewing PDFs page by page.

Guys, besides "fewer buttons" is it worth upgrading existing G5 mouse with Performance mouse? I'd like to get wireless mouse, it is the only reason as G5 is fantastic mouse (I'm not a gamer, but use it 8-12 hours every day).

Back