Athlon II x4 640 wrong temp readings?

amd7674

[H]ard|Gawd
I have tow different readings in BIOS and HWMonitor or another software... It looks like BIOS temp reading are about 10-15C higher than in windows 7. Which ones are correct and why there is discrepancy between the two?

Please see my sig... Asus mobo is flashed with the latest bios.

Thanks

your bios gives your socket temp, not your cpu temp so it will be off by 5-15C depending on the board. coretemp gives you the actual temp reading from the diode sensor in the middle of the processor. so the reading in coretemp is temp you want and your bios is the wrong temp.

I've noticed similar issues with my AMD hardware.

BIOS reads the usual low 30s idle.

But my windows 7 temps in Core Temp and other programs is always about 15C lower.

However, I'm far more inclined to believe the BIOS temperatures. My Core Temp readings are sometimes below ambient, which I know is just untrue. But the BIOS readings seem reasonable, and are in line with reviews.

Strangely, I have had this same problem with my Phenom II X6 and my Athlon X2 (Phenom X4 with two locked cores), but not with my Core 2 Quad, so I think it's gotta be a calibration error on the CPU. All three rigs have similar cooling and similar TDPs and read low to mid 30s idle in the BIOS, but Core Temp only matches the BIOS on my C2Q.

I've noticed similar issues with my AMD hardware.

BIOS reads the usual low 30s idle.

But my windows 7 temps in Core Temp and other programs is always about 15C lower.

However, I'm far more inclined to believe the BIOS temperatures. My Core Temp readings are sometimes below ambient, which I know is just untrue. But the BIOS readings seem reasonable, and are in line with reviews.

Strangely, I have had this same problem with my Phenom II X6 and my Athlon X2 (Phenom X4 with two locked cores), but not with my Core 2 Quad, so I think it's gotta be a calibration error on the CPU. All three rigs have similar cooling and similar TDPs and read low to mid 30s idle in the BIOS, but Core Temp only matches the BIOS on my C2Q.

if its reading lower then ambient then its 1 of two things. the sensor on the cpu is incorrect or the motherboards causing it to offset the temp. in the case of the x6's we do know that they are incorrect. they are off by 10C. my guess is due to the location of the sensor based on all 6 cores. in the x4's its in the direct center of the processor. with the x6 its most likely in a different location thats causing the sensor to be off by 10C. other thing is that AMD just didnt calibrate them correctly.

as far as the C2Q i recommend using realtemp since its designed and updated specifically for intel processors where as coretemps better for AMD processors.

if you want to believe the bios temp by all means feel free to do so but its most likely going to be wrong. just depends on the board manufacture and if the bios are setup correctly. some are right and some are insanely off. for example my asus board says my cpu is at 85C full load when its actually at 53C full load.

I'm incline to believe what BIOS reports is correct. My room temperature is 23C and CPU readout HWMonitor/Coretemp report to be at 22C.... hmmm

I'm incline to believe what BIOS reports is correct. My room temperature is 23C and CPU readout HWMonitor/Coretemp report to be at 22C.... hmmm

I also am inclined to believe the BIOS.I have added 10 degrees to my coretemp to reflect what I see.

What are the actual temps?

Just as previously mentioned, the first 2 temps are from bios hardware monitor, and the 4 CPU temps are 15C off or so.

So I'm guessing those are the real temps?

they have gone down to 9C before. Is that accurate?

Wow, mine are usually hotter than CPU temp.

CPU%20temp.jpg

Looks like you have a misreading sensor on the CPU. I know that Thuban has that problem, but haven't heard anything about the other chips. You can go by the BIOS/socket temp, but be aware that it isn't all that accurate because of distance between it and the CPU's cores.

probably just a bad sensor, put the processor under full load and see which tmpX goes up and that will be your cpu temp sensor. not an uncommon problem.

What are the actual temps?

Just as previously mentioned, the first 2 temps are from bios hardware monitor, and the 4 CPU temps are 15C off or so.

So I'm guessing those are the real temps?

they have gone down to 9C before. Is that accurate?

Hey if anyone was answering me, can you please quote me so I know?

Based on my overclocking experiance the frist 2 temps (BIOS based) are more accurate...

Based on my overclocking experiance the frist 2 temps (BIOS based) are more accurate...
Yes. The TMPIN temperatures are definitely more on the ball than the individual core temperatures from what I've found. Even if you "correct" the core temperatures by adding 10-15C, you arrive near what TMPIN is telling you. I've always ignored the core temperatures on my AMD system.

Yes. The TMPIN temperatures are definitely more on the ball than the individual core temperatures from what I've found. Even if you "correct" the core temperatures by adding 10-15C, you arrive near what TMPIN is telling you. I've always ignored the core temperatures on my AMD system.

I guess we only pay attention to temps when we o/c... otherwise it is kind of pointless...

Back