RAID/Motherboard Help

Hey guys,

I have an LSI RAID card that I want to use with a file server I am building. I have heard and seen from experience that these LSI megaraid cards are temperamental with what mobo they will work with.

I have a LSI megaraid 9240-8i. So any advice you guys have on what motherboard will work with this card, would greatly be appreciated.

I have seen LSI's interoperability chart but the mobo/chipsets are expensive ($500 range).

Also, the only stipulations are that it has to be a socket 775 board and either have two PCI-express slots (one for vid and one for the raid card) or onboard vid (either VGA or DVI).

Do you need to boot from it? If not, motherboard/BIOS support is pretty much irrelevant; the OS will pick it up just fine. But if you need to boot from it, your BIOS needs to support interrupt 19 capture.

I need it to atleast be seen in the BIOS, otherwise windows wont see it....

I wish the OS would pick it up, tried that already.

You don't need the BIOS to see it. You can use hardware in Windows without being seen or supported by the BIOS. The BIOS is only required in the bootstrap process; until the OS can take over and stand on its own feet.

However, issues with drivers could still spoil detection within Windows. What Windows do you use by the way? Are you sure it is not detected inside Windows? Did you look at device manager?

So would anyone like to buy this from me? Just putting a feeler out there. Brand new with the cables, box, docs, CD's etc. It's just opened. Paid $310 for it....

Ok guys, I'm back. I had to wait for a new RMA'd board and this one works now but I am getting this error message after it updates the DMI pool in my BIOS.

"no physical memory is available at the location required for the windows boot manager. The system can not continue."

What does this mean? How can I fix it?

Ok I will try that when I get home. The BIOS sees all 8 GB. I wonder if the BIOS memory is used up. I am not sure how it allocates during bootup. Can someone explain this?

Probably a problem with the RAID card BIOS. Leave 1 stick of RAM and remove the rest from the motherboard. Flash the RAID card BIOS to the latest from the manufacturer. Try to boot again. Or you can use the on-board RAID card utility (should be some kind of hotkey) to disable the RAID BIOS.

its an issue with the raid card, i put it in both my x58 and 780i systems and it has the same issue. I need to get a server class mobo that is socket 775 and supports pci-express....if anyone is selling one let me know.

I hate to bump a dead thread but I wanted to add some info for others troubleshooting the 9240-8i, also known as a 9220-8i or IBM ServeRaid M1015. The card I'm experimenting with is the IBM m1015.

The card has a known problem with Gigabyte X58 boards. There are some fixes and workarounds on LSI's website.

From my experience this card is extremely finicky about what motherboard it's in. For instance, in a Gigabyte 965P-DS3 I also get the "no physical memory is available at the location required for the windows boot manager. The system can not continue." error. This has nothing to do with your MB's ram or lack thereof, it's the raid card screwing with you.

In an Asus M4A87TD/USB3 I can't enter WebBIOS (Ctrl-H), but I can enter MegaCLI (Ctrl-Y). However in CLI it doesn't see any of the physical drives that are attached.

In the end I had to bring it to work and throw it in a HP desktop. I was able to boot to windows, install the drivers, get Windows to see the card and then flash it. I used the latest FW from LSI for a 9240-8i card, version 20.10.1-0020 released on 12/10/10. It successfully flashed. The fix list for this release is HUGE! Hopefully when I get home the card will work a little better.

And hopefully this post helps others with issues on this card.

Baddreams,

Thanks for your post. I actually just encountered the same issue on a DFI LanParty P35-T2R motherboard. I was able to use the DOC MegaCLI utility to flash the firmware of the IBM ServeRaid M1015 to the latest version hoping that would help, but no go. I will be testing in two others systems I have and will report back how that goes.

Hi everybody.
I would like to know what is the solution for the card "megaraid 9240-8i" and the error : "no physical memory is available at the location required for the windows boot manager"?
I have a Zotac G43-ITX.
A big thank for your answers

Back