The results in making my own colored plexiglass.

TeeJay88

Limp Gawd
Using some skills ive picked up in other areas of my life, I think ive found a way to decently color plexiglass, now i just have to work increasing the darkness of the colors.

DSCF8256.jpg

DSCF8257.jpg

If you guys are interested i'll take the time to write out how to do this and post.

Old shitty pan or pot or baking sheet large enough to submerge your plexiglass in.
Enough liquid RIT dye to submerge the plexiglass in.
RIT dye can be found at craft stores or the detergent isle in wal-mart.
(Im also going to see how mixing the concentrated powder with the liquid comes out)
Place the plexi and dye in the pan/pot or what have you, and put it on the stove top at medium heat.
After some time the surface layer of the dye with change consistancy. Take out the plexiglass and run it under cold water. Dry it off and see what shade it is. If its shade is not dark enough, put it back in.
Repeat until desired color comes out.
Just keep in mind that you will never get neon colors but you will get colors.
I used scarlet for the red and black for the smoked look.

Any ideas to maybe improve this would be great???

Last edited:
Hm. this site specifically says that RIT dye won't work on acrylic (fabric). But then again, you wouldn't be washing these sheets of plexi.

Idk, I still would consider painting the backside of the acrylic much more efficient.

This is still pretty cool though.

The results werent incredibly dark or vibrant, but as you can see the colors did start to take.

Back