PDA

View Full Version : ARECA Owner's Thread (SAS/SATA RAID Cards)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9

mwroobel
12-04-2011, 12:53 AM
Hello. I've been reading through this thread, but have not been able to find an answer that I am looking for...

I have an Areca ARC-1120 card. I purchased 8 Seagate Barracuda 3TB drives to setup a Raid6 array. 6 of the drives I got (from external USB drive enclosures) were Barracuda XT drives (model ST33000651AS) and the other 2 drives are the new Barracuda 1TB platter drives (model ST3000DM001).

In running smartctl I found that the ST33000651AS drives support SCT Error Recovery Control but it is disabled by default. The ST3000DM001 drives do not support SCT ERC.

With this info I created a Raid1 array with the ST3000DM001 drives, and I am in the process of initializing a Raid6 array with the 6 ST33000651AS drives.

With the ARC-1120 card, do I need to set the read and write delay parameters for the SCT Error Recovery Control?

Most of the information I have seen online (both in the forums here and at StorageReview) indicate that SCT ERC should be set, but then it gets really unclear as I have not found any references to SCT ERC and Areca raid cards.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

There is a thread on seagate forums about a hacked version of smartctl that will supposedly let you set it on the seagates. Read more at http://forums.seagate.com/t5/Barracuda-XT-Barracuda-Barracuda/RAID-Issues-ERC/td-p/25751

On a seperate note, Seagate has a knowledge base that states that ONLY the enterprise drives support setting the ERC, which you can read at http://seagate.custkb.com/seagate/crm/selfservice/search.jsp?DocId=203991&NewLang=en it might be why a hacked smartctl is around, but regardless of the tool I don't know that I would trust it. In any case, Seagates have been problematic on areca cards in general, let alone pulled-out-of-retail-enclosures-with-unknown-tweaked-firmware drives.

vorpel
12-04-2011, 06:19 AM
There is a thread on seagate forums about a hacked version of smartctl that will supposedly let you set it on the seagates. Read more at http://forums.seagate.com/t5/Barracuda-XT-Barracuda-Barracuda/RAID-Issues-ERC/td-p/25751

On a seperate note, Seagate has a knowledge base that states that ONLY the enterprise drives support setting the ERC, which you can read at http://seagate.custkb.com/seagate/crm/selfservice/search.jsp?DocId=203991&NewLang=en it might be why a hacked smartctl is around, but regardless of the tool I don't know that I would trust it. In any case, Seagates have been problematic on areca cards in general, let alone pulled-out-of-retail-enclosures-with-unknown-tweaked-firmware drives.

Thanks for the information! I had previously read the first link you posted and that is what led me to my question.

The need for this raid come about recently so with the prices of drives they way they are due to the flooding in Thailand, these external drives were the only ones I could afford.

The reason why I thought Seagate Barracuda XT drives would do the trick is that I currently have 2 16x1.5TB Raid6 arrays on a pair of Areca ARC-1260 cards. These arrays have been running for 2+ years and to date I haven't had any issues. *knocks on wood*

Let me see if this makes sense... It sounds like from my reading that enterprise/raid class drives routinely have SCT Error Recovery Control read/write variables set. If that is the case, then I should look for a way to set these variables to help ensure that excessive drive level error correction does not happen (and is limited to 7 seconds) to reduce the risk of disk drop-outs in the raid array.

Is this an accurate assumption? The info in your first link talks about creating a Linux boot disk to set the read and write variables and then reboot into Windows (as I did confirm that these drives do keep the SCT ERC variables on reboot but not on power cycle).

Again, thanks for the information.

-DC

infinity999
12-06-2011, 02:36 PM
Hello, I have an Areca 1880 series card and have a question about the email notifciation. I configured the proper SMTP settings etc, but I could not get the card to send emails through my sever to the SMTP server. It only works when I use the ethernet connector on the card. I would rather it send emails through my server because of possible security vulnerabilities the card could present. Is there any way to configure it this way? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

mwroobel
12-06-2011, 04:09 PM
Hello, I have an Areca 1880 series card and have a question about the email notifciation. I configured the proper SMTP settings etc, but I could not get the card to send emails through my sever to the SMTP server. It only works when I use the ethernet connector on the card. I would rather it send emails through my server because of possible security vulnerabilities the card could present. Is there any way to configure it this way? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

If you are not using the ethernet port on the card itself and relying on the Ethernet card in the computer, you need to make sure you have the archttp proxy software installed. If not, it is available from the areca website. In any case, if you have the port available I would recommend using the on-card Ethernet port because it allows easier out-of band management. It also allows you to access a the raid firmware remotely on a machine that has not booted to the point of the operating system due to disk failure on the array and make changes, etc.

infinity999
12-06-2011, 06:46 PM
Yes I am using archttp proxy and it will not send the email from the server. If I configure the adapter on the card it sends emails. How do I configure it to use the network adapter in the server? Thank you.

mwroobel
12-06-2011, 07:21 PM
Yes I am using archttp proxy and it will not send the email from the server. If I configure the adapter on the card it sends emails. How do I configure it to use the network adapter in the server? Thank you.

What OS and version are you running? Your firewall may be blocking this. Make sure archttp is permitted and has outbound rules set to TCP allowed on port 25 (for smtp). Just wondering, why don't you want to use the onboard NIC?

-Mike

infinity999
12-07-2011, 09:45 AM
It's running server 2003. I checked and the firewall is turned off. The reasons for not wanting to use the onboard NIC are for one, I would have to get it approved and two one of the controllers is at a remote location and I would have to find someone just to plug it into the network. I don't know what I would do if somone had to replace a drive there, guess that would be an extreme circumstance and I would be able to find someone competent enough to perform the task. I am beginning to make the conclusion that the controller is not capable of sending the notifications through the server...

mwroobel
12-07-2011, 05:07 PM
It's running server 2003. I checked and the firewall is turned off. The reasons for not wanting to use the onboard NIC are for one, I would have to get it approved and two one of the controllers is at a remote location and I would have to find someone just to plug it into the network. I don't know what I would do if somone had to replace a drive there, guess that would be an extreme circumstance and I would be able to find someone competent enough to perform the task. I am beginning to make the conclusion that the controller is not capable of sending the notifications through the server...

I personally have never tried it over just the system ethernet port, but it is supposed to work. Even though you might need to get it approved, for the added benefits of the additional nic connection it is worth it in the long run, especially since you have remote support issues. I couldn't see any IT approval being denied given the reason. In any case, give areca a call.

houkouonchi
12-07-2011, 10:58 PM
I personally have never tried it over just the system ethernet port, but it is supposed to work. Even though you might need to get it approved, for the added benefits of the additional nic connection it is worth it in the long run, especially since you have remote support issues. I couldn't see any IT approval being denied given the reason. In any case, give areca a call.

I have only used this feature on the onboard ethernet and it works just fine. Just gotta give it the proper IP/subnet/gateway and setup the mail server info.

luke823
12-08-2011, 01:29 PM
Does anyone have any experience ordering from kaleidonet/ArecaDirect?

I can't find any feedback on sites like reseller ratings, and I also don't see any mention of areca direct on the areca website.

vr.
12-08-2011, 01:56 PM
Does anyone have any experience ordering from kaleidonet/ArecaDirect?

I can't find any feedback on sites like reseller ratings, and I also don't see any mention of areca direct on the areca website.

I recently (11/10) purchased an 1880IX-24-4G from arecadirect because they had the lowest price at the time. They shipped the wrong style of cables but caught their mistake before the order arrived to me and sent the right cables along with paid return postage and packing for the wrong ones. Both packages reached me the same time. I will buy from them again.

infinity999
12-08-2011, 06:56 PM
I just eneded up using the port on the adapter itself. Found someone at the remote site to connect it. I agree, it will be better in the long run. Thanks for the replies.

fluke420
12-14-2011, 07:32 AM
Has anyone had any experience with the ARC-1223 or ARC-1213? It appears to have a manual override for those pesky non-TLER drives.

mikeblas
12-22-2011, 12:44 AM
I'm having problems with my ARC-1220. After upgrading to the newest versions of the utilities, the card isn't detected by the ARCHTTP utlity, and isn't detected by the CLI, either. It mounts its volumes just fine and the BIOS works great, so the card is really there.

C:\Program Files (x86)\MRAID\CLI>cli
Copyright (c) 2004-2011 Areca, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Areca CLI, Version: 1.86, Arclib: 310, Date: Nov 1 2011( Windows )

None.

How do I repair this issue?

mikeblas
12-22-2011, 01:01 AM
I carefully uninstalled the ARCHTTP and CLI utilities, then deleted the MRAID directory, rebooted, and reinstalled the tools. ARCHTTP works now, but the CLI utility still doesn't. Any ideas?

JoeKillaMofo
12-22-2011, 10:24 PM
I am using a few external drive chassis and wondering if anyone has any idea if the dual external (the areca 1880x) port card provides 600MBps per channel or if it just shares a single channel.

I would like to daisy chain a couple 24 drive chassis off both channels and then raid the whole thing together to get the most ideal performance possible from aforementioned card...

OldSchool
12-23-2011, 02:55 PM
I am using a few external drive chassis and wondering if anyone has any idea if the dual external (the areca 1880x) port card provides 600MBps per channel or if it just shares a single channel.

I would like to daisy chain a couple 24 drive chassis off both channels and then raid the whole thing together to get the most ideal performance possible from aforementioned card...

Both of the 2 port cards (1880i and 1880x) have 8 discreet 6gbps channels, no onboard expander.

houkouonchi
12-24-2011, 08:52 AM

I can also tell you I get real-world speeds of 1.7 gigabytes/sec read and 1.1 gigabytes/sec write on an ARC-1880x hooked up to 30x3TB drives (hooked up to two SAS expanders each driving 15 disks).

An ARC-1882x is probably capable of closer to 2 GB/sec writes (and reads) so just slightly faster reads but 80% faster writes and nearly 2x the speed on rebuilds.

JoeKillaMofo
12-28-2011, 12:43 PM
An ARC-1882x is probably capable of closer to 2 GB/sec writes (and reads) so just slightly faster reads but 80% faster writes and nearly 2x the speed on rebuilds.

Wow. Holy crap, I am doing something very very wrong then, I get MAYBE 600-700MBps reads right now. What FS are you using and are you aligning your partitions? I can't get anywhere near that with XFS or EXT4. I am using a single chassis and a single port on the 1880 at the moment, the next step will be splitting the drives on the chassis down the middle and driving it over both channels though, good to know I will get a speed increase there.

mikeblas
12-28-2011, 01:38 PM
Comparing numbers without describing them is just a waste of time.

chucklezt
01-01-2012, 07:02 PM
Ive got an HX-650w PSU in there, so it should be more than enough. I tried swapping in a 1000w to no avail. I called areca and they said the card is most likely bad, so i RMA'd it. I give a status update when I get the new one in.

I have had a very similar experience and curious how yours resulted cause I just got RMA# from Tekram. Build my rig in Sept 2010 and have been running off Areca 1680i + HP SAS Expander a 8x2TB Hitachi Raid-6 and 4xTB Raid-5 in a Norco 4224. Motherboard is evga 680i SLI, Q6600 2.4Ghz, Enermax Inifiniti 720, 6 GB RAM running W2K 08r2. (also been on UPS since day 1)

Background
A few weeks ago the controller started freezing anytime a large file(s) greater than 1-2GB is transferred to/from the array. The light stays on on the card and the raid drive becomes frozen and unusable - but I can still access drives not on the raid adapter and windows continues to run. Windows issues event 129 Reset to device \Device\RaidPort3 was issued. There have also been Event 11 The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Harddisk1\DR1. There are no events registered in the cards event buffer. During this the ethernet web interface to the card fails to be accessible to see what is happening with the array. Only a hard reboot restarts the array until a large file is transferred and it freezes again. I have swapped nics and tried different firmwares and drivers with same problem. This problem started about 2-3 weeks ago without any HW or SW changes to the system - and the system has been on a UPS. I even tried a fresh OS install, short of swapping out to a 1000W power supply and nothing solved it. I started the volume check process but have not yet completed, but dont see how a parity issue in Raid 6 would freeze the entire card - correct me if Im wrong.

Diagnosis
While the power problem is plausible as to why card freezes under load I don't know why it would start after a year of perfect operation on mostly new hardware and decent power to 12 total drives which cant be much more than 100Watts of use.

From Areca support "it sounds like a defected controller if it stop response after crash."

Areca support sent me to Tekram who issued me an RMA. Im in the middle of scrambling to backup the 8TBs before I ship out the card. Jacked costs of HDDs arent exactly helping.

?
I'm very curious as to other people's experience in dealing with Areca RMA process during the 1-3 year period. It says 3 year warranty but some fine print about anything over a year may incur costs.

Also curious what typical turnaround is so I know how long I may be out of commission and if I want to rebuild on a newer 1880 or 1882 or other brand.

EDIT: I never had any power messages however.

AlexJoda
01-02-2012, 12:27 PM
After reading some times about purple screen of death (PSOD) with Areca controller and VMware ESXi we have the same problems here with our Supermicro Server (16 drive expander backplane), an Areca 1880 and ESXi 4.1. It is not on a regular basis so it´s hard to find out what triggers these PSOD´s. On the purple diagnosis screen is the clear reference to the areca driver...
We are using the newest firmware and driver from Areca. Although the performance and the LAN diagnosis makes this controller may favorite choice we have to move to different controllers for our new ESXi servers until this is fixed. Reliability is the most important feature together with ESXi hosts....

vr.
01-02-2012, 10:40 PM
After reading some times about purple screen of death (PSOD) with Areca controller and VMware ESXi we have the same problems here with our Supermicro Server (16 drive expander backplane), an Areca 1880 and ESXi 4.1. It is not on a regular basis so it´s hard to find out what triggers these PSOD´s. On the purple diagnosis screen is the clear reference to the areca driver...
We are using the newest firmware and driver from Areca. Although the performance and the LAN diagnosis makes this controller may favorite choice we have to move to different controllers for our new ESXi servers until this is fixed. Reliability is the most important feature together with ESXi hosts....

Hope I'm not jinxing myself but I've been fortunate to not see this PSOD but twice ever. And that was on only one system. It happened before kicking out a failing drive and since the drive was replaced I've not had it happen again.

mwroobel
01-02-2012, 10:48 PM

Are there any issues with the array after the reboot? Does the areca log show anything? Have you packaged up the crash dump support bundle and sent it off to either areca or vmware?

chucklezt
01-02-2012, 11:11 PM
Just FYI in case this wasn't answered before, I asked Areca support...
If I have a working array on a 1680i card and am thinking about upgrading.
Can I replace the 1680 with an 1880 or 1882 and have the exact same array recognized by the new card? (I dont want to lose the array and rebuild)

Answer from Areca:

array roaming is supported, you can move an exist array betwen 1680 and 188x without reconfigure it.
the only possible problem is driver support ability. older driver versions may support 1680 only but not the new 188x card. please make sure your system have latest driver to be able to recognize new cards. you will not able to access the data in array if your system do not able to recognize new card.

nitrobass24
01-03-2012, 12:10 AM
AKA install the latest drivers on your host system prior to swapping cards.

I went from 1680x to 1880i without issue.

Take a backup first :)

Zerosum
01-03-2012, 10:04 AM
Yeah, update drivers before the card. Makes complete sense but I know some people end up overlooking it. See it with nvidia unified drivers on video cards when people upgrade.

mwroobel
01-03-2012, 10:47 AM
Yeah, update drivers before the card. Makes complete sense but I know some people end up overlooking it. See it with nvidia unified drivers on video cards when people upgrade.

Also, make sure both cards are up to the latest firmware (all 4 firmware files).

matrix563
01-04-2012, 09:58 AM
i'm selling my 1280ml if anyone wants it in the fs seciton :)

houkouonchi
01-05-2012, 03:16 AM
Wow. Holy crap, I am doing something very very wrong then, I get MAYBE 600-700MBps reads right now. What FS are you using and are you aligning your partitions? I can't get anywhere near that with XFS or EXT4. I am using a single chassis and a single port on the 1880 at the moment, the next step will be splitting the drives on the chassis down the middle and driving it over both channels though, good to know I will get a speed increase there.

partitions aren't specially aligned just created with parted. This is with JFS but I would expect XFS to be just as fast. You should be able to max out at around 900-1000 MB/sec if your running off just a single SFF-8087/8088 link as its 1200 MB/sec of bandwidth but in the 900-1000 with overhead (this is assuming 3gbps link and not 6).

Also what are you using to test speeds? I have found very few apps can support very high speed for testing (even dd) unless they bypass the cache/emmory buffer and use direct I/O (IE: dd iflag=direct or oflag=direct).

grimster
01-20-2012, 02:53 PM
A couple weeks ago a stink bug carcass got lodged in my PSU fan somehow. Well, the fan stopped, and the PSU got really damn hot and smelled burnt. I got a 3.3 V warning from the RAID card. I shut down right away. Then my motherboard started acting weird. It showed in BIOS my 3 RAM sticks, but wouldn't show the full 12GB capacity anywhere the memory size is reported. I got that resolved. It's been stable since then. But today, my RAID card started going berserk. It's showing 50 celsius for the CPU and 46 for the board. The 12V it is reporting is rather low. It fluctuates between 11.612 and 11.673. If I actually measure the 12V line with a DMM, I get a nice 11.96V. The system will be fine until I start trying to use the card. The whole system will lock up for a few seconds, then unfreeze. At one point I got the message about my video card "restarting" itself. All during this time the card is totally inaccessible [through the ethernet interface]. I don't use the proxy software. What should I try first? I'd really like to narrow it down to not being the card. It's not even a year old. The PSU is the oldest, and the motherboard I got open box through Newegg. I would rather just find another cause than the card, so I don't have to deal with an RMA.

mwroobel
01-20-2012, 04:32 PM
A couple weeks ago a stink bug carcass got lodged in my PSU fan somehow. Well, the fan stopped, and the PSU got really damn hot and smelled burnt. I got a 3.3 V warning from the RAID card. I shut down right away. Then my motherboard started acting weird. It showed in BIOS my 3 RAM sticks, but wouldn't show the full 12GB capacity anywhere the memory size is reported. I got that resolved. It's been stable since then. But today, my RAID card started going berserk. It's showing 50 celsius for the CPU and 46 for the board. The 12V it is reporting is rather low. It fluctuates between 11.612 and 11.673. If I actually measure the 12V line with a DMM, I get a nice 11.96V. The system will be fine until I start trying to use the card. The whole system will lock up for a few seconds, then unfreeze. At one point I got the message about my video card "restarting" itself. All during this time the card is totally inaccessible [through the ethernet interface]. I don't use the proxy software. What should I try first? I'd really like to narrow it down to not being the card. It's not even a year old. The PSU is the oldest, and the motherboard I got open box through Newegg. I would rather just find another cause than the card, so I don't have to deal with an RMA.

Which board do you have? The CPU on my 1880 is generally around 50C and the controller temp is usually 50-54C. In any case, I would replace that power supply ASAP as a first step.

grimster
01-20-2012, 04:34 PM
Which board do you have? The CPU on my 1880 is generally around 50C and the controller temp is usually 50-54C. In any case, I would replace that power supply ASAP as a first step.

I have the ARC-1222. I guess I will order a PSU. It's not like it's something that can't be used in a newer build.

grimster
01-21-2012, 10:44 AM
I ordered a 560W PSU, a new motherboard, a i7-2500k, and an additional stick of RAM. Maybe I can get more voltage to the RAID card without a dedicated GPU. I'd imagine even though they need an input, they do take some power from the PCI-e bus.

luke823
01-29-2012, 12:53 PM
Do you guys think 16 * 3TB Hitachi 7k3000 drives in raid 6 is too many with an Areca 1880 series card? I'm currently at capacity with 12 * 3TB and am about to add four more drives, but I'm struggling with online expansion vs. starting a new array. FWIW, I have full offline backups of all my data.

mwroobel
01-29-2012, 03:15 PM
Do you guys think 16 * 3TB Hitachi 7k3000 drives in raid 6 is too many with an Areca 1880 series card? I'm currently at capacity with 12 * 3TB and am about to add four more drives, but I'm struggling with online expansion vs. starting a new array. FWIW, I have full offline backups of all my data.

I personally like to limit raid6 arrays to 12 drives where using greater than 2GB drives. As long as you have full trusted backups, 16 is not unheard of nor is it irresponsible. Since you are needing to expand now at least 4 drives, and probably will need more in the future, I would suggest leaving the 12 drive array you have now and build a second array with 6 drives, yielding you 12GB usable now which you can expand on.

pmackinney
01-30-2012, 02:48 PM
I have two identical SuperMicro 1U servers, each with an ARC-1680X.

One card failed, was RMA'd, has been working since it came back (same card, not a replacement.). It shows the fan speed. The other system doesn't, although I've verified that the fan is spinning. Anyone have thoughts? Both systems hit 60C on occasion, never over 65.

System A
CPU Temperature 58 ēC
Controller Temp. 58 ēC
CPU Fan 0 RPM
12V 11.795 V
5V 4.999 V
3.3V 3.312 V
DDR-II +1.8V 1.824 V
PCI-E +1.8V 1.824 V
CPU +1.8V 1.824 V
CPU +1.2V 1.168 V
DDR-II +0.9V 0.896 V

System B (repaired)
CPU Temperature 55 ēC
Controller Temp. 56 ēC
CPU Fan 2537 RPM
12V 11.856 V
5V 5.053 V
3.3V 3.328 V
DDR-II +1.8V 1.808 V
PCI-E +1.8V 1.792 V
CPU +1.8V 1.808 V
CPU +1.2V 1.216 V
DDR-II +0.9V 0.896 V
Battery Status Not Installed

TIA, PM
Battery Status Not Installed

wa5655
01-30-2012, 05:43 PM
Does anyone know which memory stick work? I am looking for a 4GB module. Thanks!

securitux
01-31-2012, 10:19 AM
Hi all, first time poster long time lurker :)

If you're referring to the post on the VMWare forums, that was probably mine :) A 1680 driver problem combined with the settings on the card it would seem caused this. I finally did fix it using certain settings, but yeah the reliability question is always in the back of my mind.

I had my 1680i fail on me recently in my Intel ESXi server running 4.1U1. It froze solid, couldn't even be accessed through the OOB management. Since I boot using USB, the ESXi management plane was fine, just the datastore was dead. Hard rebooted the box and it came back, no issues.

Areca said the card needs to be replaced and since Areca doesn't do advanced replacement I ordered an 1882i to swap out while it's gone. When the 1680 comes back I'll put it in my other server. Areca and Tekram said the move from 1680 to 1882i should be seamless provided I've put all the right drivers in.

My only concern is the supposed driver issues with the 1882i... especially in ESXi 5.0. Anyone here have any feedback running the 1882i with ESXi 4.1U1 or 5.0? I am tempted to wait until ESXi has a few more patches and updates before moving off of 4.1 to 5... but I had thought of making the move during the outage window I am taking.

-J

Kroke
02-08-2012, 12:48 PM
Does anyone know which memory stick work? I am looking for a 4GB module. Thanks!
Hi, there are no supported 4GB ECC modules yet.

Areca support gave me this info last Desember: "Controllers support 1Rx8 (512Mx 8-bit) not 1Rx4 (512Mx 4-bit). It is processor limitation. "

Nobody makes memory modules with such memory chips yet afaik.

SoN][c
02-10-2012, 07:05 PM
Hi Guys,

Hoping to get a little assistance from the Areca gurus here.

I just picked up an ARC-1880 from ebay and have 4xHitachi 5K3000 2TB drives attached to it. I'm using an SFF-8087(mini-sas) to 4xSATA fanout cable.

I've upgraded the Bootrom; Firmware; and BIOS to the latest v1.49 package on Arecas website.

The issue I'm having is that the card is acting as though no drives are connected to it. It doesn't see any of them. I've tried both SFF8087 ports on the card.

One other thing - during POST the areca shows this message: "No BIOS disk found. RAID Controller BIOS not installed!" - however, I was able to successfully flash the latest BIOS and the system info of the card is visible through both the bootup/POST menu and via the ArcHTTP utility in Windows. (I'm running Server 2008 R2 x64 if that matters).

Any advice on what to do? The card *seems* fine other than the fact that it doesnt see any of the drives. This is driving me crazy!!!.

Thanks!
SoN][c

alamone
02-10-2012, 07:17 PM
My guess would be that your mini-sas fanout cable might be reverse breakout, unless you've already used that particular cable with another raid card and it worked fine, in which case I'd say the card is dead...

Don't worry about that message about the bios not being loaded, it does that automatically if no bootable arrays (INT13) are available to save option ROM space.

SoN][c
02-10-2012, 07:19 PM
My guess would be that your mini-sas fanout cable might be reverse breakout, unless you've already used that particular cable with another raid card and it worked fine, in which case I'd say the card is dead...

Don't worry about that message about the bios not being loaded, it does that automatically if no bootable arrays (INT13) are available to save option ROM space.

Hi Alamone,

Thanks for the quick reply. I didnt even realize there is such a thing as "reverse" breakout. I thought they're just passive cables - whats the difference?

Anyways - the package the cable came in says "Int.mini-SAS (device) to-4*SATA cable".

Does the device being mentioned on the SAS side mean its reverse breakout?

Cheers
SoN][c

alamone
02-10-2012, 07:24 PM
That should be the correct cable - forward breakout cable.

Reverse breakout has 4xSATA for the raid card, 1xSAS connector for the backplane.
Most raid cards have SAS connectors so forward breakout is the more common.

SoN][c
02-10-2012, 07:32 PM
That should be the correct cable - forward breakout cable.

Reverse breakout has 4xSATA for the raid card, 1xSAS connector for the backplane.
Most raid cards have SAS connectors so forward breakout is the more common.

Does (device) in brackets next to the SAS mean maybe thats the backplane side and this is a reverse breakout cable afterall? Shouldn't it say HOST on the SAS side? hmmm...
(The package the cable came in says "Int.mini-SAS (device) to-4*SATA cable")

alamone
02-10-2012, 07:57 PM
Depends on the interpretation of "device" I guess.
I'd try another cable before giving up on the card.

thalantis
02-13-2012, 09:54 AM
is anyone using these drives
Western Digital Caviar Green WD30EZRX, 3TB

Want to buy them for my areca 1880ix-24

mluters
02-13-2012, 10:03 AM
I just picked up a ARC-1882-IX-12 and I'm using it to boot my Mac Pro...it came with firmware 1.49 and I noticed 1.50 is available from Areca. Questions:

1) Are there any real "gotchas" when upgrading the Areca firmware when I'm booting from that Raid card?

2) Also, any reason not to upgrade when 1.49 is working fine?

3) Upgrade procedures....do I have to upgrade the 4 individual files one at a time or do I just use the GUI interface and browse to the one folder containing the four files?

Thanks in advance,
mluters

mwroobel
02-13-2012, 10:35 AM
I just picked up a ARC-1882-IX-12 and I'm using it to boot my Mac Pro...it came with firmware 1.49 and I noticed 1.50 is available from Areca. Questions:

1) Are there any real "gotchas" when upgrading the Areca firmware when I'm booting from that Raid card?

2) Also, any reason not to upgrade when 1.49 is working fine?

3) Upgrade procedures....do I have to upgrade the 4 individual files one at a time or do I just use the GUI interface and browse to the one folder containing the four files?

Thanks in advance,
mluters

1. Always have a full backup in place at all times, but especially when upgrading.
2. No.
3. You upgrade all 4 files, one at a time. I usually do it BIOS, BOOT, FIRM and then MBR0.

LowBoost
02-13-2012, 10:35 AM
Here you go (Firmware Update):

http://www.areca.us//support/download/RaidCards/BIOS_Firmware/FirmwareUpdateProcess.zip

As mwroobel stated: BIOS, BOOT, FIRM and then MBR0.

mluters
02-13-2012, 11:44 AM
Thanks for the info...I'll give it a try when I get home tonight.

Blue Fox
02-13-2012, 11:56 AM
Never had any problems updating the firmware. You can look through the release notes to see if anything pertinent to you has changed and decide whether or not it's worth upgrading. As for the process itself, you do one file at a time, but you can do one after the other and only reboot at the very end (all through the GUI if you'd like).

SMBReno
02-13-2012, 05:46 PM
Cli working for Areca Raid, McRAID isn't - Long post.

I've had continual problems trying to establish consistent McRAID connectivity to my array (7 1TB Samsung HD103UJ drives - yes I know they are problematic and not compatible with SAS Raid Card according to Disk Compatibility Document from Areca; but work find. I did disable NCQ and readahead using ArcCLI64 interface). When I upgrade firmware to 1.50 and reinstall McRaid accessed by ArcHTTP64 script it works fine - I access controller interface at http://0.0.0.0:81, and the controller at http://0.0.0.0:82. However, after I quit browser (either Safari or Firefox), I can no longer access either. I have been working on this for days (long story). Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Specific System: Macpro 3.1 (early 2008); Dual 28 GHz processors; 16 GB Ram; Proavio 8 bay SAS enclosure. Using Areca 1882xi-12, and using external 8088 port and one internal 8087-8088 cable to mount the array. Everything looks nominal using ARCCli64 reporting, the array is mounted, and in normal condition. I am using an Nvidia GTX-285 display card, and my CPU temps on the Areca are ~ 57-58C.

SMBReno
02-13-2012, 05:49 PM
Addendum: Net info shows:
DHCP : Disabled
Local IP Address(Used If DHCP Disabled) : 192.168.1.99
Gateway IP Address(Used If DHCP Disabled) : 192.168.1.1
Subnet Mask(Used If DHCP Disabled) : 255.255.255.0
HTTP Port Number(7168..8191 Is Reserved) : 80
Telnet Port Number(7168..8191 Is Reserved) : 23
SMTP Port Number(7168..8191 Is Reserved) : 25
Current IP Address : 192.168.1.99
EtherNet MAC Address : 00-1B-4D-10-88-D4

SMBReno
02-13-2012, 06:12 PM
Another addendum: Connecting to the ethernet port on card allows McRaid to function normally when accessed using Local IP Address.....

mluters
02-14-2012, 04:53 PM
Just reporting back my experience with the firmware upgrade.

I upgraded the 1882 firmware to 1.50 without any troubles...just had to reflash the MacEFI Bios in order to boot from it. Very easy procedures and everything seems to be working fine on the 2010 Mac Pro.

Thanks again for the info,
mluters

SMBReno
02-15-2012, 12:59 PM
Possible solution to ArcHTTP64 crashing. Install_MRaid.app didn't install archttpsrv.conf file in ./

When I added WaitForDisk=60, and added .conf file to ./ worked.

Darren1
02-16-2012, 05:26 PM
Hi. I've been reading this thread for some time and now I have an issue and could use some help. I have a 7 drive RAID 6 on this card.

Yesterday I rebooted my server and the card hung on "waiting for F/W to become ready" until it reached 300/300 seconds. I rebooted again, same thing. I disconnected the BBU and the cables, same message. During the boot up I could ping the onboard management interface but only for a couple of seconds. I tried using different RAM, the card would either beep like crazy or not even be recognized when booting.

It has been working fine since I got it almost one year ago.

Looking through the system event viewer I found these errors over and over starting yesterday:
Reset to device, \Device\RaidPort0, was issued.
Areca RAID controller wait to abort all outstanding command timeout.
The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Harddisk1\DR1.

Any ideas on what could be the issue?

I do have an ARC-1220. Could I attach my drives to that and still see the RAID 6?

1680ix-16 with 1GB RAM
Supermicro X8DTi-LN4F-O
24 GB RAM
7 2 TB Samsung EcoGreen F4 HD204UI in RAID 6 on the 1680ix-16
Windows 2008 R2
Boot drives attached to Intel controller

Thank you

Update: Looking through this thread I see I can't move from a SAS controller to a SATA controller and keep the array.

idolclub
02-17-2012, 03:51 PM
V1.50 Firmware Release Note (2012-02-16):

Add SSD Support and Fix ARC1880/1680 + LSI + Intel SSD

http://www.areca.us/support/download/RaidCards/BIOS_Firmware/release_note.zip

********* Change Log For V1.50 Firmware

2010-12-22
1 BOOT_WITH_PHY_DISABLED for 1880
(A) DHCP must be disabled
(B) IP should be leave unchanged (192.168.1.100)
(C) EtherNet port must be connected directly
(D) One controller is set to bootup with PHY disabled (spBootPhyDisabled=1)
(E) When spBootPhyDisabled is changed from 1 to 0, the controller will
send a command to inform other controller to stop its action and
wait for 10 seconds to receive the reply, then enable the PHY of the controller.
(F) Limitation:
CACHE may be lost if enabled
MIGRATION point may be lost if just in MIGRATING
REBUILDING point may be lost if just rebuilding, will restart from previous point

2010-12-29
1 FIX SNMP with MAX_ENCLOSURES not 8

2011-1-12
1 Add SUPPORT_ZIPPY_POWER for ARC1201

2011-1-20
1 Fix ARC1880 dual controller control

2011-1-24
1 Fix Raid5060 write through volume cannot be deleted after write

2011-1-27
1 Fix OfflineRiadSet:if raidset already spun down, no start/stop unit is required
2 Add SUPPORT_RAID1_BG_INIT (background initialization for raid 1)

2011-2-8
1 Fix ARC1880 EPCIE activity/status LED

2011-2-18
1 ARC1880:set HM_FAN_DIVISOR to 8 to support low RPM fans
2 ARC1880:RAID1 background init supported

2011-3-7
1 TCP.c __tcp_write:add timeout check (NESSUS security test ether net hang)

2011-3-7
1 Fix IOP3XX/MRVL5182 model pci HBA raid card with spin down in FreeBSD
incorrect sense data is sent to OS, OS need the correct sense data for error r ecovery

2011-3-15
1 VolumeInit is called after device initialization, if HDD insert is signaled
between HDD scan and HDD checkin may cause hang

2011-3-18
1 Fix ARC1680/1880+supermicro expander under voltage error reported.
supermicro report volatge code 1/5/6 dynamically. patch the code to treat 1/5/6 to no error

2011-3-23
1 Fix NESSUS cause CheckPassWord hang,

2011-3-24
1 Add cacheLock in rebuild.c to fix heavy loading may cause race
condition for cache allocation.
2 Add BSemaTakeH for rebuild.c to improve init/rebuilding speed

2011-3-29
1 Add COMPATIBLE_RAIDSET: to create old style raid set on new SAS controller
new style raidset:max 128 volumes
old style raidset:max 16 volumes

2011-4-7
1 Fix JBOD empty slot LED error in StaggerDelay routine use HM_LED_LOCATE1
2 CLEANUP_TASK_MGNT:fix HDD timeout and task management request from pl lib
need to clean up task management after AbortTask
3 PL library phase 9 is used (MPT and PL)

2011-4-8
1 ARC1880:add model name extension display
2 ARC1880:Add -4i/-8i support (no expander support)

2011-4-14
1 PCI SETTABLE_DATA_XFER_LEN
2 FIX_SAS_SATA_BRIDGE Fix SAStoSata bridge problem:LSI6G
3 Fix HDD temperature display problem

2011-4-22
1 Add ARC1880... SES2 code 5 (not installed for power and fan)

2011-5-10
1 Add log for Lost migration point if migration is aborted or stopped due to volume failed

2011-5-27
1 AJA_TUNING, remove OPTIMIZE_HD_EDIT
2 ARC1880:add DELL-MD1000 support
3 ARC1680:Add AJA support

2011-6-2
1 Fix All Model:CompleteRebuild, when aborting initializing and rebuilding
need to reset volInitLba to zero

2011-6-10
1 Add update EXPANDER firmware feature for ARC1880/8366... 6G models

2011-6-17
1 Add SUPPORT_PHY_CONTROL
(A) LSI6G model
(B) Marvell SATA (6081 model)
(C) TBD MRVL6145/LSI3G/IOP348
2 Show EXPANDER information on browser with clear PHY error log
(A) LSI6G model completed
(B) TBD LSI3G/IOP348
3 Add update expander firmware
(A) Supported for LSI 6G model controller and 6G expander
(B) 3G expander, there is probelm identifying data file ID ....

2011-6-23
1 LSI 6G model and pure SATA model:add SUPPORT_PHY_CONTROL

2011-6-24
1 SUPPORT_LARGE_BLOCK_IO

2011-6-30
1 LSISAS2208:fix L2 invalidate bug

2011-7-13
1 Fix ARC1880:model name error
2 Fix ARC1880:battery checking, need to set batFlag to 0 before read chip ID
3 Add SUPPORT_PM2_SETTING for ARC1880/1882
(A) The setting will take effect after next power cycle
(B) ARC1680:due to intel transport reject the PM2 enabled HDD, this feature cannot work with ARC1680

2011-7-15
1 Disable >= 256K stripe size support if HDDs do not support LBA48
2 Disable migration to >= 256K stripe if HDDs do not support LBA48

2011-7-22
1 Fix NEW_SMART_HDD_TEMP smart HDD temp value error in smart array

2011-7-26
1 Add SSD Support
2 Support RaidLevel 100 and RaidLevel 00
(http/vt100/gui/panel, for GUI, R00/R100 already supported)
3 Add RAID0 no init (rescue) feature for SSD guard feature
4 Add hot spare type
Original global hot spare is modified to global for separate disk type
Add global for All type
// 1. Local hot spare:do not check disk type
// 2. Local to ENC:check disk type
// 3. Global For Disk Type:check disk type
// 4. Global For All:do not check disk type
Hot plug auto rebuild-->SSD only rebuild SSD, HDD only rebuild HDD

2011-8-4
1 ARC1882:Add/fix SDRAM ECC handling and scrubbing
2 Fix ARC1882 with 1M stripe size and write through stack underflow

2011-8-5
1 Fix PM2 support for ARC1882/1880
2 Fix R5060 background init race condition with host access

2011-9-9
1 Hitachi HDD xfer rate programming
2 WD HDD Xfer Rate Control

2011-9-15
1 VOLUME_CHECK_ERROR_TYPE:to show volume check errors parity_error_count/media_error_count

2011-9-19
1 Fix SCSI write same program flow bug for more than 2TB

2011-9-22
1 Fix ARC1882:BIOS IO hang
2 Add support for SAS model with SATA Write Same ARC1680/1880/1882

2011-9-26
1 Fix ARC1680/1880:RWPassThrough problem with large read ahead

2011-9-28
1 Fix ARC1880/1680+LSI+Intel SSD

2011-10-17
1 Fix foreground init display percentage error

2011-11-3
1 Fix LSI PL library problem

2011-11-7
1 Fix LSI SAS problem of timer

2011-11-10
1 Fix PL Phase11 + LSI SAS_SATA bridge problem

2011-11-21
1 Cache structure redesign

2011-12-6
1 Fix ArcHttp update firmware protocol error

2011-12-9
1 IMPROVE_DISK_WT_REBUILD
3 SUPPORT_WRITE_PROTECT
4 PATCH_CAPACITY_FOR_NEW_STRIPE
5 Add display for volume info
7 PATCH_INTEL510_SSD

2012-1-4
1 Build V1.50 for some models with fixed bugs

vr.
02-19-2012, 11:50 PM
Well I'm not happy with Seagate at the moment... On my Areca controller I had six ST3500320AS (500G, 32MB cache) drives in a RAID6 running good.

One drive failed.

Seagate replaced my 32MB cache disk with a ST3500413AS (500G, 16MB cache) and some sites list the ST3500413AS as an LP disk. Not even going to bother sticking it back in the system. Guess we'll see what they say on the phone.

Hammer8
02-20-2012, 07:20 AM
Hi, do you have a link for the firmware? I only see 1.50 for the 1882 series. I have a 1880 card. Thanks, hammer.

Hammer8
02-20-2012, 07:27 AM
Hi, I have a 1880 card with originally 11 3TB hitachi drives setup as a raid6 array and a single volume. I added 2 of the same drives and initiated a raidset expansion. The expansion went smoothly and I proceeded to expand the volume so my os can see the added space. I did that by logging into the card and modifying the volume size to 33000 GB and select apply (and checked the confirm box). However, the reinit does not start. I did this a few times, but same result. Any ideas? Thank, hammer.

LowBoost
02-20-2012, 03:26 PM
So you use Expand Raid Set, (Under RAID Set Functions), to add your disks then Volume Set Functions to Modify Set Volume (Volume Growth)?

What is shown under Volume State? Migrating?

LowBoost
02-20-2012, 03:35 PM
I just got my new 1882ix-24 with 2GB upgrade + BBU.
For testing purposes I plugged 8 x 3TB Hitachi drives into a Norco 4224. (I am using 6 x SFF8087 cables)

Although I initially selected "foreground" initialization, I stopped it, deleted the array and created a new one in RAID6, background initialization. (It was about 1 hour into the process and was about 17% done when I stopped it).

I immediately plugged my gear to a brand new Cisco SG200-50P switch, (Jumbo Frames enabled) CAT6 wiring, and used link aggregation in my server for a 4Gbps link.

I was in a hurry, so right after the array was created, I launched Windows 2008R2, and presented the partition, formatted, and started copying 5TB through the network from my desktop and 2 x 3TB external drives USB 3.0 I saw transfer rates of 80ish MB/S to the NAS from one single nic. Copying from a local HDD (In my Desktop) to the NAS it will not go over 58MB/S. :(

I assume the array is running in degraded mode since it is still initializing? (I set to 80% priority)
It has been around 16 hours and only 38% completed. Anyone with real-world results with this card?

securitux
02-20-2012, 08:53 PM
I just got my new 1882ix-24 with 2GB upgrade + BBU.
For testing purposes I plugged 8 x 3TB Hitachi drives into a Norco 4224. (I am using 6 x SFF8087 cables)

Although I initially selected "foreground" initialization, I stopped it, deleted the array and created a new one in RAID6, background initialization. (It was about 1 hour into the process and was about 17% done when I stopped it).

I immediately plugged my gear to a brand new Cisco SG200-50P switch, (Jumbo Frames enabled) CAT6 wiring, and used link aggregation in my server for a 4Gbps link.

I was in a hurry, so right after the array was created, I launched Windows 2008R2, and presented the partition, formatted, and started copying 5TB through the network from my desktop and 2 x 3TB external drives USB 3.0 I saw transfer rates of 80ish MB/S to the NAS from one single nic. Copying from a local HDD (In my Desktop) to the NAS it will not go over 58MB/S. :(

I assume the array is running in degraded mode since it is still initializing? (I set to 80% priority)
It has been around 16 hours and only 38% completed. Anyone with real-world results with this card?

Yeah it is going to take a LONG ass time for a 24TB RAID6 init. See what it does when it's finished. I've had arrays take 10hrs for a 4TB RAID5 with a 1680i or 1220.

-J

LowBoost
02-20-2012, 10:05 PM
Yes, I figured it would take a long time… though I have read some people initializing bigger arrays in around 20hours. As of this moment mine is at 47%. That is fine… my main question is if the array performance is slower due to that initialization?

I still wonder if that explains why I can't get better writing speeds from one PC to the array.

lurker_mike
02-20-2012, 11:30 PM
Yes, I figured it would take a long time… though I have read some people initializing bigger arrays in around 20hours. As of this moment mine is at 47%. That is fine… my main question is if the array performance is slower due to that initialization?

I still wonder if that explains why I can't get better writing speeds from one PC to the array.

Have you made sure that multiple GE links are being used on your FEC trunk?

It's been a while since I used a Cisco, but I seem to recall that FEC load balancing was by MAC or source/destination IP address. Presumably those will all be the same when transferring between host A and host B meaning that you will only be using one of the links, not all four. Just a thought.

LowBoost
02-21-2012, 07:42 AM
@LurkerMike:

You are correct. Yes, I made sure about multiple GE Links in my FEC trunk. It will use more than one link if one of them is already saturated. Which is not the case with me. I can't go past 60% in my desktop or 10% in my server (NIC Teaming - Static Link Aggregation).

I will double check my NICs settings, but so far everything looked OK.

The array initialization is most llikely hurting my performance, so I will wait after initialization is complete to run a few benchmark tests. (ATTO, CrystalDisk, etc)

LowBoost
02-22-2012, 09:46 PM
Post deleted

odditory
02-27-2012, 02:15 AM
Hi, do you have a link for the firmware? I only see 1.50 for the 1882 series. I have a 1880 card. Thanks, hammer.

Firmware 1.50 is still unreleased for the 1880 unless you get a beta from support. Its mostly bug fixes, especially for SSD's.

Darren1
02-27-2012, 09:55 PM
So Areca told me I need to RMA my 1680ix-16. In the meantime I bought a 1882ix-16. Put it in and it recognized my array from the 1680ix-16. I didn't get the BBU and just set it to write through for now.

Now whenever I copy a large file to the array, the system hangs and I get these errors in the system event viewer

Reset to device, \Device\RaidPort0, was issued. Event 129
Areca RAID controller wait to abort all outstanding command timeout. Event 18
Followed by 8 The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Harddisk1\DR1. Event 11

I can see there is no disk activity, then the OS hangs and I have to reboot. No errors 1882 event logs.

If I enable write back, the system runs just fine.

Latest drivers and firmware at 1.50
7 hd204ui in RAID 6

Xon
02-29-2012, 08:18 AM
So my 1882i is going quite nicely with 8x 4tb hitachi 7200rpm (aka the Deskstar 7k4000), I did enable disk write cache during the array build and it does have dual links from the 1882i to the RES2SV240 intel sas expander.

The 4tb hitachis do appear to run hotter but the Norco RPC-4224 w/ 3x120mm internal fans had 12*2tb samsungs which I removed for the duration of the array build. As well as turning on the ceiling fan above the case and the AC in the room which has dropped ambient by a bit appears to have kept the temperatures to something reasonable.

The hitachi's aren't going to live in that case, as I was using it as it had spare slots & power capablity to replace an exiting set of drives in another computer once the data is copied over. I'll post some benchmarks once the array has finished initializing but before I copy data to it.

Firmware 1.50 is still unreleased for the 1880 unless you get a beta from support. Its mostly bug fixes, especially for SSD's.
If it's like the version for the 1882 (which was released on the 2012-02-16), Configurable SATA sync speed for Hitachi & Western Digitals is a nice feature. As is reporting the RPM the drive claims to spin at.

Spacedust
02-29-2012, 04:43 PM
I just bought new Areca ARC-1231ML with 1 GB memory and BBU. I would like to upgrade memory to 4 GB. My card is PCB revision B. Which module I should use ?

Xon
03-01-2012, 05:38 PM
I was in a hurry, so right after the array was created, I launched Windows 2008R2, and presented the partition, formatted,
Be aware, that having Windows installed on your raid volume will cause a lot of random reads & writes to hit the disks. Depending on what the OS does could also dramatically impact performance as the low RPM drives generally have much worse seek speeds.

Also, Windows 8 Server disk-based dedupe is hardlocked to not work on the OS volume, so any files you want to be deduped need to be on a seperate volume from the OS.

LowBoost
03-01-2012, 06:42 PM
I did not install the OS in a LUN/NAS Volume. I have a Corsair GT 90GB SSD for OS.

Darren1
03-02-2012, 06:40 PM
In case any of you have the Supermicro X8DTi-LN4F motherboard there is a resource conflict with the 1882ix-16 (and probably the others in the 1882 series). Areca is aware and Supermicro is too. The fix will need to come from Supermicro.

Maxwell Smart
03-02-2012, 08:22 PM
I bought an Areca 1280ML, and it's a great card, though a bit overkill for my uses as I only have 6 drives and I don't plan to get any more for a while. If anyone is looking to do a cross-trade for a card with less capacity, or is looking for a 1280ML in general, let me know.

Xon
03-02-2012, 09:19 PM
In case any of you have the Supermicro X8DTi-LN4F motherboard there is a resource conflict with the 1882ix-16 (and probably the others in the 1882 series). Areca is aware and Supermicro is too. The fix will need to come from Supermicro.
How does this conflict show up? Stuff not working or just degraded performance?

Darren1
03-02-2012, 09:56 PM
How does this conflict show up? Stuff not working or just degraded performance?

On a cold boot no matter which PCIe slot I put the card, the 1882 BIOS isn't loaded. On a restart the BIOS is loaded. So after a restart in Windows (08 R2 doesn't really matter) if I copy a large file with write through enabled I get these errors in system event log:

The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Harddisk1\DR1. Event 11

If I have write back enabled card works fine in Windows but on a cold boot still won't show up.

The 1882 event log gives no errors. This is both with drives and cables attached and not attached.

I've tried this card on multiple motherboards and it works fine. The Supermicro motherboard works fine with my 1680ix-16 and my 1220.

scuppasteve
03-07-2012, 01:30 PM
I am looking at a 24 drive rack setup and I was wondering if there is a reason to put a 6 port internal Areca ARC-1880ix-24-4G vice using a an expander card like a Chenbro and a smaller Areca card?

mwroobel
03-07-2012, 01:41 PM
I am looking at a 24 drive rack setup and I was wondering if there is a reason to put a 6 port internal Areca ARC-1880ix-24-4G vice using a an expander card like a Chenbro and a smaller Areca card?

A six-port 1882 like the model you posted would give you 24 drive ports, so if that is all you plan for this install you wouldn't need an expander. With a smaller Areca, like a 2 port 1882 to maintain a dual linked connection to the expander you would lose the 2 ports on the areca and 2 ports on the expander, yielding you not-all-that-much more with something like a HP expander, just 1 4 drive port more. If you don't need more and to keep things easier (cuts 2 cards/slots to 1, cuts out 2 internal SFF-8087 cables), I would just go with the 6 port Areca with its built-in expander as opposed to a smaller areca with an external expander.

scuppasteve
03-07-2012, 01:59 PM
Lets say i wanted to expand it to another 24 bay case but wanted to just use a single mb / cpu what would be the best way to do 2 (24) drive setups?

Thanks

scuppasteve
03-08-2012, 10:38 AM
Lets say i wanted to expand it to another 24 bay case but wanted to just use a single mb / cpu what would be the best way to do 2 (24) drive setups?

Thanks

Would the best bet be just to use a HP expander card in the other case and just run a cable from the external port on the areca and call it good? Are there major speed bottlenecks over these types of links or is it unnoticeable for a media server? The main reason im looking at an expander card is due to energy usage, Would it be better to just put a cheap atom and another areca card in the second case?

SioPao
03-08-2012, 12:12 PM
On a cold boot no matter which PCIe slot I put the card, the 1882 BIOS isn't loaded. On a restart the BIOS is loaded. So after a restart in Windows (08 R2 doesn't really matter) if I copy a large file with write through enabled I get these errors in system event log:

The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Harddisk1\DR1. Event 11

If I have write back enabled card works fine in Windows but on a cold boot still won't show up.

The 1882 event log gives no errors. This is both with drives and cables attached and not attached.

I've tried this card on multiple motherboards and it works fine. The Supermicro motherboard works fine with my 1680ix-16 and my 1220.

When did this issue start for you? I have an ARC-1222 that just started throwing the exact same errors in the Event Viewer. I've had the card for less than a year and now the array is unusable in windows. The array check from the Areca tool doesn't find any errors when I run a check as well. The array does appear just fine in Windows and looks normal, but whenever I attempt to access it it, it just hangs.

I have not contacted Areca yet, but it sounds like there is not a smooth RMA process.

Darren1
03-12-2012, 08:20 PM
When did this issue start for you? I have an ARC-1222 that just started throwing the exact same errors in the Event Viewer. I've had the card for less than a year and now the array is unusable in windows. The array check from the Areca tool doesn't find any errors when I run a check as well. The array does appear just fine in Windows and looks normal, but whenever I attempt to access it it, it just hangs.

I have not contacted Areca yet, but it sounds like there is not a smooth RMA process.

This issue started right when I got the card. I got the 1882 on Feb 20th. BIOS 1.50. I've since RMA'd it back to Newegg. Supermicro and Areca are looking into it.

LFletcher
03-14-2012, 10:46 AM
Is there anywhere in ArcHTTP which shows how much space you have used in a volume/raid set?

vr.
03-21-2012, 06:21 PM
Did my 1231 just die? Seems less likely I really lost so many disks all at one time, but entirely possible but can I safely take an 1880i and plug in disks from Raid Set # 00 then Raid Set # 01 to see if each of the array's get listed OK then go back to a replacement 1231 if the card is in fact bad?

http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/8049/arecafail.jpg

nitrobass24
03-21-2012, 07:45 PM
Start a new recovery thread
Be patient
Dont do anything
Post your error log.

vr.
03-22-2012, 05:28 PM
Start a new recovery thread
Be patient
Dont do anything
Post your error log.

Yeah..... this didn't work out so good. I don't think step 3 is going to get me anywhere so I guess I'll go start rippin 'n tearin'. I did get a reply back from Areca support saying I can roam my raidset to another host with an 1880i so worse case is, I'll be restoring from backup after buying a replacement card.

pissboy
03-22-2012, 05:53 PM
Yeah..... this didn't work out so good. I don't think step 3 is going to get me anywhere so I guess I'll go start rippin 'n tearin'. I did get a reply back from Areca support saying I can roam my raidset to another host with an 1880i so worse case is, I'll be restoring from backup after buying a replacement card.

Sounds like you don't need any help anymore then? :confused:

vr.
03-22-2012, 10:41 PM
Sounds like you don't need any help anymore then? :confused:

Correct. I was able to scrounge an 1880i card and move that Raid Set #00 array there and bring it in.

BazDave
03-23-2012, 01:01 PM
About 3 weeks ago I installed a ARECA 1882ix-16 and it has been running great until today...
Now the system will not recognize the card during POST or in Windows. I tried swapping it to a new slot, but still the same.
There is a red light blinking extremely fast on the bottom of the card and a blue on on the back doing the same. Any ideas?

HardyOne
03-24-2012, 07:51 PM
I just got a 1882ix-12 and just set it up. the card is recognized during post and it sees my two drives. I would like to set the drives up as just regular drives. I tried to use pass-through, but the drives are not recognized after Win7-64 boots up. I suspect I have not set the pass-through correctly (ID, LUN, etc). The drives are connected to SCN6 (the bottom connector on the card) and the cables in use are P1 and P2. What is the correct setting for LUN etc? Is there anything else I need to do?

Rubycon
03-25-2012, 09:17 AM
Create a passthrough drive by selecting it from the physical drive menu. The controller will do the rest for you. When booting into your OS it will be seen as a SCSI device.

HardyOne
03-25-2012, 01:02 PM
I was able to get pass-through to work, but not raid set. Here is the message I sent to Areca tech support.

I am not able to see my raid set in Windows. Here is what I have done (brand new 1882ix-12):
Install card and 2 HDD's
Add SCSIPORT via Device Manager.
Boot into McBios and set raid 0.
Boot into Windows. Raid set not seen.
Install ArcHTTP
Update Firmware to 1.50
Use ArcHTTP to set pass-through for both HDD's. Windows sees pass-through drives OK.
Delete pass-through drives.
Set Raid 0 set. Again not seen in Windows.
Repeat above steps, except install Storport drivers using Device Mangr.
Results are the same - pass-through works OK, raid 0 not seen in windows.
Note: Message during post:
No bios disk found - Raid controller bios not installed.

EDIT: Just for future reference - which bios to use? scsiport or storport? Using Win7-64

HardyOne
03-25-2012, 07:06 PM
Note: Message during post:
No bios disk found - Raid controller bios not installed.

I was able to get this to work. However, I used arcHTTP (browser) to set pass-through, then rebooted. Now, during post, the bios raid disk IS FOUND. Then in the browser again, I am able to set RAID 0 and reboot. Still have a few questions:

1) Is this normal? That is, having to set pass-through and reboot to get the bios recognized to set a raid array. I wonder what will happen if I try to make this raid set bootable and do I have a compatibility issue with my M/B bios? I saw some others that had that problem.
2) Why is my raid only 2.04 GB? I am using 2 2TB drives - shouldn't it be about 3.8 GB?
3) I'm still not sure which driver to use? SCSIPORT or STORPORT? I am currently using scsiport.

Darren1
03-25-2012, 10:59 PM

Supermicro got back to me. They were able to replicate the issue. They were willing to fix the issue if I had enough boards. Since I only have the one 1882 and motherboard they don't seem interested in spending the time fixing it. I sent the 1882 back anyway.

Strahan
03-30-2012, 08:33 AM
is anyone using these drives
Western Digital Caviar Green WD30EZRX, 3TB

Want to buy them for my areca 1880ix-24

+1. ~$160ish for 3 TB sounds really tempting. I have WD10EACS right now, and I was able to use the WD tool to enable TLER on them but I'm hearing it won't work on the WD30EZRX. Does anyone know for sure? 16 of these drives RAID'd would make for a long time I could go without worrying about space issues :)

vr.
03-30-2012, 03:52 PM
Supermicro got back to me. They were able to replicate the issue. They were willing to fix the issue if I had enough boards. Since I only have the one 1882 and motherboard they don't seem interested in spending the time fixing it. I sent the 1882 back anyway.

So basically you had a problem telling them you were P.O.C. testing for 1500+ units for your data center? :D

Rubycon
04-03-2012, 11:03 PM
Firmware 1.50 for 1880 was released today!

http://www.areca.us/support/download/RaidCards/BIOS_Firmware/ARC1880.zip

ATWindsor
04-04-2012, 03:11 AM
On the areca 1882-24 there are 24 internal ports, but also an external port. Can i use all the internal ports, and just use a breakout cable with 4-sata also on the external port, for 28 ports total?

JoeBob2
04-08-2012, 05:13 PM
I just got an Areca 1882ix-12-4G and I either have a bad one or there is a conflict with the motherboard bios. I attached 2 SSD's and 2 HDD's. I would like to have the SSD's in Raid 0 as the boot drive and the 2 HDD's as a second Raid 0 backup drive. I also plan to have 6 HDD's in Raid 3 in a few months. That is a total of 3 raid sets on the Areca. My problem is that I can only have one raid set at a time right now and I can only use the quick function to create the raid set. Using the regular raid set function will not create the set. It doesn't matter which pair of drives I use, only the quick function works, then the second raid set does not work. This quirk is true using the POST McBios setup method, or using the browser ArcHTTP method.

Once I get the first raid set working, I am able to go into regular raid set function and set up the second raid set. After that, I can open the Raid Set Hierarchy and both raid sets are listed, but only the first one shows the volume set name. Then I can go into Windows Disk Management, and only the first raid set is shown, and not the second. Windows explorer also does not show the second raid set.

Any ideas if I have done something wrong, or if there is a conflict with the motherboard, or something else?

Win7-64, Asus P9X79 Pro, 32 GB of G.Skill Ram, i7-3930k

Xon
04-08-2012, 07:26 PM
Make sure the SCSI Ch/Id/Lun for each volumn is different? Areca cards will not present it as an error if there are multipule volumes with the same Ch/Id/Lun, but Windows will only see 1.

Blue Fox
04-08-2012, 07:27 PM
Are you using the same LUNs for each RAID set? There's a good chance that could be it and would explain why not everything is showing up properly in your OS.

JoeBob2
04-08-2012, 08:54 PM
LINK (http://i786.photobucket.com/albums/yy142/webberson/Untitled.jpg)

Here is a link to my Areca home screen. Notice that there is no description in the column called "volume set". The Channel, ID, and LUN are assigned automatically and I don't even enter it any place. Even if I only have one raid set, I can see the description in volume set if I create the raid set using the Quick Function (see left panel at top) and everything works in Windows. If I create only one raid set using Raid Set Functions (just below Quick Function), then I cannot see the raid set in Windows and there is no description on the home page.

Edit: Actually, I have been thinking more about this and there are a few things I have not tried yet, but they should not matter. That is, my card has 3 SFF8087 connectors and so far, I have only used one - the one nearest to the motherboard. I also have not tried the card in any other slot on the M/B, but it is in the X16 slot now.

Blue Fox
04-08-2012, 09:15 PM
You only have a single volume set. You need to create one for the 2 x 2TB array. That will fix the issues you're having.

Jus
04-08-2012, 10:12 PM
I was able to get this to work. However, I used arcHTTP (browser) to set pass-through, then rebooted. Now, during post, the bios raid disk IS FOUND. Then in the browser again, I am able to set RAID 0 and reboot. Still have a few questions:

1) Is this normal? That is, having to set pass-through and reboot to get the bios recognized to set a raid array. I wonder what will happen if I try to make this raid set bootable and do I have a compatibility issue with my M/B bios? I saw some others that had that problem.
2) Why is my raid only 2.04 GB? I am using 2 2TB drives - shouldn't it be about 3.8 GB?
3) I'm still not sure which driver to use? SCSIPORT or STORPORT? I am currently using scsiport.

When you create a volume set you need to choose support for volumes greater than 2TB (64LBA). You probably missed that part and now your controller present the LUN as 2TB only. Refer to User's manual.

-Dragon-
04-08-2012, 10:48 PM
Firmware 1.50 for 1880 was released today!

http://www.areca.us/support/download/RaidCards/BIOS_Firmware/ARC1880.zip

Here's (http://www.areca.us/support/main.htm)a better link with updated manuals and such

JoeBob2
04-09-2012, 04:59 AM
I have the latest firmware and the latest manual. In fact, I used the manual except it doesn't work like the manual says. I did play with the "larger than 2TB setting". If it's on (larger than 2TB), I get the full 3.7GB in one drive. If it's off, I get two drives.

JoeBob2
04-09-2012, 09:28 AM
I think I solved my own problem. I forgot to create the volume after creating the raid set.

Jus
04-09-2012, 09:58 AM
I think I solved my own problem. I forgot to create the volume after creating the raid set.

That's what Blue Fox wrote you about a couple of posts back

ALpHaMoNk
04-11-2012, 12:22 AM
Is there a way to expand from raid 5 to raid 6? I have 1680 (8disc) card with intel Res2sv240...hw raid - OS
windows 2008r2. I checked the areca management and just don't see the option.

Jus
04-11-2012, 12:28 AM
The only way to change your RAID5 into RAID6 is by adding an extra drive. Then you should receive an option either to expand capacity of your RAID set or migrate the RAID level from 5 to 6.

ALpHaMoNk
04-11-2012, 12:51 AM
Thanks Jus I figured that should be all that i would need to do. here is what i am getting when i go to modify.
(currently just one extra drive i am shttp://dl.dropbox.com/u/685938/no%20raid6_.jpgtill tested the remaining drives.

Jus
04-11-2012, 12:59 AM
Since RAID6 requires more drives than RAID5 for the same capacity you need to add one drive, expand the RAID set and only then you will get an extra option in the drop down list allowing to change the RAID level. Often times you may hear or see these acronyms OCE/OLCE (Online Capacity Expansion) and RLM (RAID Level Migration). That's what you need to perform.

ALpHaMoNk
04-11-2012, 01:12 AM
Thanks so when i am done testing the remaining 3 drives I need to expand the raid set first before i can move to raid 6 (i tested 2 out of 5 drives , so by tomorrow after noon i can start the expanding. thanks again Jus.

Jus
04-11-2012, 01:23 AM
In case if you are only testing the drives and to get the RAID6 option available in the drop down list you need to have at least 4 drives in a RAID set. Delete the existing RAID set and re-create it with 4 or more drives as RAID6 or simply expand the existing one.
To make the transition to run faster, make sure to select 80% option in the System Control->System Configuration for Background Task Priority.

ALpHaMoNk
04-11-2012, 07:19 AM
thanks again...I currently have 8 disks in a raid 5 I am just tested the new 5 disks for errors before adding them into the mix.

mikeblas
04-11-2012, 08:16 AM
With that large of a set, you really shouldn't run RAID5. RAID6, RAID50, or RAID60 would be a better idea ...

Jus
04-11-2012, 09:35 AM
RAID30/50/60 are hard to maintain and once created they are not expandable. Better to build 2 independent RAID6 arrays and stripe them on OS level. Personally, I'd choose 2 individual RAID6 arrays over RAID60.

ALpHaMoNk
04-11-2012, 11:45 AM
With that large of a set, you really shouldn't run RAID5. RAID6, RAID50, or RAID60 would be a better idea ...
I started off with just 3 x2tb hitachi drives and just expanded the array as i need more space. it has been rock solid for over a year since the last time i expanded. (knocks on wood) Now up to 8 Drives and with the same thinking, raid 6 would be a better fit since i will be adding 5 more drives.
RAID30/50/60 are hard to maintain and once created they are not expandable. Better to build 2 independent RAID6 arrays and stripe them on OS level. Personally, I'd choose 2 individual RAID6 arrays over RAID60. I would aggree, I would rather not have to maintain a 30/50/60...I just want to move up from raid 5 to 6 but since I have no real way of backing up my current config ( i dont have another 12.7TB free laying around) I can't just ditch what i have now and start over from scatch using all 13 disks.
So i just want to know for sure if I can move up to raid 6 from 5 safely, and how to..Although my most important data is backed up, I would still hate to start over and lose 12.7TB of data.

Jus
04-11-2012, 12:01 PM
Just remember - RAID by no means is a replacement for a backup. There are a lot of things that could go wrong with it and losing 12TB worth of data would be very painful.
I hope you have Hitachi Ultrastar drives for a setup this big as with regular Deskstar drives it is asking for troubles having more than 8 drives in a single RAID set.
With my customer base being relatively big for an Areca reseller of my caliber I could say that growing your RAID set beyond 8 drives with desktop grade drives is dangerous. They do not behave well in a vibration-prone environment. Unless you move a lot of data back and forth it would be more practical having two RAID6 arrays.
When time comes to migrate your RAID5 to RAID6, build a second RAID set out of 4 drives, copy most critical data onto that array and only then start expanding your RAID5 - add one drive, migrate to RAID6 and then add additional drives to expand capacity.
Speaking out of experience.

ALpHaMoNk
04-11-2012, 01:08 PM
Words of wisdom!!...thank you Jus...I have already backed up my irreplaceable data to a separate 1tb drive (docs, home videos pics and music) The rest honestly are movies and tv shows. it would not really be the end of my world to lose them and start over ripping but a process that took a very long time and would just hate to have to do it again.

Drives are Deskstars and I know it sounds risky but so far I have had luck with these drives and I am testing them out before use. (on the last drive now testing)

So i should expand using just the one drive first and once in raid 6 expand the remaining drives into the array!

thanks very much for sticking with me through this.

Jus
04-11-2012, 01:22 PM
I know there are people out there that might say it is possible to expand a RAID set by adding more than one drive at a time. A word of advice, I would strongly encourage you to expand your RAID set by adding one drive at a time.
As an Oracle DBA I get to work with enterprise grade storage solutions (EMC, IBM, etc) and even with those one may get in trouble by expanding existing arrays with several drives at once.

Hope all goes well for you! ;)

ALpHaMoNk
04-11-2012, 05:29 PM
Jus your knowledge is very welcome with me and many on this board I am sure. I will be taking your advice and work it one drive at a time...unfortunately my HBA is having a hard time seeing the Intel RES2SV240. Some boots it is there more times it is not it hangs on "waiting for raid controller f/w to become ready../" other times it gets by this but I see no array. :(

dowxp
04-12-2012, 11:21 AM
What drives does the community recommend that supports TLER, either natively or powercycle stickable? I'm looking for either 2TB or 3TB.

nitrobass24
04-12-2012, 12:24 PM
TLER is a WD technology.

I'd stick with Hitachi, i have had the best luck with them more than either WD or Seagate.

Jus
04-12-2012, 12:36 PM
Second that... Hitachi, when connected to an Areca RAID controller, will automatically give full control to the card and you do not have to move a finger for that.

ALpHaMoNk
04-12-2012, 01:07 PM
I too have been solid for a couple of years now since i switched over to the hitachi drives.

JoeBob2
04-13-2012, 05:06 AM
Which Hitachi drives will work best? I have an ARC-1882ix-16-4G and am looking at adding 6 each Hitachi drives. I am considering the 7K1000.D models. In fact, they just dropped $10 each to $119 with free shipping(at Newegg).

houkouonchi
04-13-2012, 05:25 AM
Which Hitachi drives will work best? I have an ARC-1882ix-16-4G and am looking at adding 6 each Hitachi drives. I am considering the 7K1000.D models. In fact, they just dropped $10 each to $119 with free shipping(at Newegg).

I use the 2TB 3GB SATA 7200 RPM disks and the new 3TB 6GB SATA 5700 RPM coolspin disks with no problems. Havne't had a single hitachi disk failure yet. My 2 TB array (20x2TB) has been running 24/7 for 700 days now.

ALpHaMoNk
04-13-2012, 07:49 AM
houkouochi how many raid 6 are you running with your 2tb and 3tb drives?

houkouonchi
04-13-2012, 08:42 AM
houkouochi how many raid 6 are you running with your 2tb and 3tb drives?

I have:
20x2TB in a single raid6 (7200 RPM 3GB SATA Hitachi)
30x3TB in a single raid6 (5700 RPM 6GB SATA Hitachi Coolspin)
8x2TB in a single raid6 (7200 RPM 3GB SATA Hitachi)

None of these have had failures.

Also quite a few different 8x2TB hitachi in raid6 at work (4 or 5 of them) I believe one is using the 6GB SATA version of the 7200 RPM drives (all 7200 RPM @ work).

xeonMP
04-13-2012, 09:54 AM
houkouonchi, do you see any reason to get the ultrastar drives over the deskstar aside from the longer warranty?

ALpHaMoNk
04-13-2012, 10:49 AM
I have:

Also quite a few different 8x2TB hitachi in raid6 at work (4 or 5 of them) I believe one is using the 6GB SATA version of the 7200 RPM drives (all 7200 RPM @ work).
Very very impressive setup...are you using any expanders ? any pics of your setup.?

houkouonchi
04-13-2012, 01:27 PM
Very very impressive setup...are you using any expanders ? any pics of your setup.?

Yes on the 30x3TB array I have the disks in two different chassis (15 each) and its going through two HP SAS expanders:

Details of setup and pictures at:

http://www.hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1033721843&postcount=7

mrwill
04-16-2012, 07:18 PM
I am experiencing a new problem with my ARC-1882ix-12-4G on my Windows7-64 system. When I boot up, during POST, the Areca counts to the full 300 seconds, then it says the F/W has timed out and will reboot. It then reboots and does the same thing (goes to 300 seconds and reboots). If I turn the computer off during the second Areca POST, then turn it back on, the Areca POST will complete in 27 seconds as it should.

This just started after I added two SSD's in Raid 0 on the Areca as my boot drive. I also added four spare drives as pass-through drives. This all works fine after the second boot. BTW, if, while in Windows, I hit "restart", the same thing happens as when I cold boot the computer as described above.

Jus
04-16-2012, 07:49 PM
When you had the drives connected and created a new volume set, what SCSI/ID/LUN did you assigned it to? If it is not 0/0/0, see if changing it makes any difference.
Some time ago there was a bug in F/W where controller would not boot if out of all volume sets there was no one with 0/0/0.

mwroobel
04-16-2012, 07:53 PM
I am experiencing a new problem with my ARC-1882ix-12-4G on my Windows7-64 system. When I boot up, during POST, the Areca counts to the full 300 seconds, then it says the F/W has timed out and will reboot. It then reboots and does the same thing (goes to 300 seconds and reboots). If I turn the computer off during the second Areca POST, then turn it back on, the Areca POST will complete in 27 seconds as it should.

This just started after I added two SSD's in Raid 0 on the Areca as my boot drive. I also added four spare drives as pass-through drives. This all works fine after the second boot. BTW, if, while in Windows, I hit "restart", the same thing happens as when I cold boot the computer as described above.

If the card is sitting there and doesn't come ready as normal, it is due to some kind of failure of communication between the controller and the drive(s) and/or expander(s) it is connected to. When it does successfully boot, are there any errors you can see in the BIOS? Can you post your logs? Have you updated to 1.50 firmware (you must update all 4 files, not just the FIRM file). If you remove the 2 SSD's and the 4 additional drives, does the problem resolve itself (if you do something like this, make sure that you have a complete backup of course, that activate incomplete raidset is disabled and that you don't go further than the bios prompts). If it does, readd the drives one at a time until you find the failure.

ALpHaMoNk
04-17-2012, 08:49 AM
Yes on the 30x3TB array I have the disks in two different chassis (15 each) and its going through two HP SAS expanders:

Details of setup and pictures at:

http://www.hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1033721843&postcount=7
I knew your setup sounded familiar. I remember it from the show your server thread. That is one sick setup you have there.

mrwill
04-17-2012, 01:27 PM
If the card is sitting there and doesn't come ready as normal, it is due to some kind of failure of communication between the controller and the drive(s) and/or expander(s) it is connected to. When it does successfully boot, are there any errors you can see in the BIOS? Can you post your logs? Have you updated to 1.50 firmware (you must update all 4 files, not just the FIRM file). If you remove the 2 SSD's and the 4 additional drives, does the problem resolve itself (if you do something like this, make sure that you have a complete backup of course, that activate incomplete raidset is disabled and that you don't go further than the bios prompts). If it does, readd the drives one at a time until you find the failure.

The LUN etc is 0/0/0 for the SSD's boot drive. I did upgrade to F/W 1.50 and did all four files. The lack of communication between card and drives sounds like a logical explanation. Earlier this morning I booted, shut down and rebooted, then restarted. Each time I tested this way, there was no problem. That is, the POST went as it's supposed to. When I get home later tonight, I'll try again. If I run into problems, I will try to post the logs. I assume you mean the Areca logs.

BTW, each time I have added drives, there has been a problem with the card recognizing the drives. The first was a non-boot raid 0 array (2 each WD 2TB drives). That time I got the message that the bios file was not loaded. It took a few boots and reboots for a couple of days, then finally everything worked well. It's almost as if you have to "burn in" the card/firmware each time I add a raid set.

mwroobel
04-17-2012, 01:50 PM
The LUN etc is 0/0/0 for the SSD's boot drive. I did upgrade to F/W 1.50 and did all four files. The lack of communication between card and drives sounds like a logical explanation. Earlier this morning I booted, shut down and rebooted, then restarted. Each time I tested this way, there was no problem. That is, the POST went as it's supposed to. When I get home later tonight, I'll try again. If I run into problems, I will try to post the logs. I assume you mean the Areca logs.

BTW, each time I have added drives, there has been a problem with the card recognizing the drives. The first was a non-boot raid 0 array (2 each WD 2TB drives). That time I got the message that the bios file was not loaded. It took a few boots and reboots for a couple of days, then finally everything worked well. It's almost as if you have to "burn in" the card/firmware each time I add a raid set.

While it is always possible that you are using and reusing a bad cable or two, it sounds more like you have a flakey card. Which exact card model do you have? -8, 12, 24, ix, x etc?

mrwill
04-17-2012, 02:49 PM
Which exact card model do you have? -8, 12, 24, ix, x etc?

I have an ARC-1882ix-12-4G

I just bought 2 cables from one source and a third cable from another source. I think they were Highpoint (2 each black) and 3Ware (1 each red) cables. The red one goes from the first connector (closest to the M/B) to the 2 SSD's and the 2 HDD's in Raid 0. One of the black cables goes to the four pass-through HDD's.

HardyOne
04-18-2012, 11:02 AM
What is a fault LED and a activity LED and where can I buy these?

Jus
04-18-2012, 01:38 PM
@mrwill

If you have not done so, test the SSD drives individually, do not connect them to the controller at the same time.

mrwill
04-18-2012, 01:44 PM
@Jus
How to test them? AS SSD or similar, or do you mean something else?

Jus
04-18-2012, 02:15 PM
Connect one of the drives, create a single drive RAID set and a volume set on it, install your OS, try to reboot your system several times.

mrwill
04-18-2012, 08:35 PM
Jus - I tried your suggestion, but I also changed some of the cables. In a previous post I mentioned the two brands I bought. I removed the red 3Ware cable and used only the black Highpoint cables (2 each). The black ones are sleeved and look a bit better. After all that, I have not had a problem yet. I even deleted all the arrays and volumes and started over, and did not have one error message. Not sure, but it seems like the 3Ware cables may have been the problem.

HardyOne
04-19-2012, 01:28 PM
What is a fault LED and a activity LED and where can I buy these?

Anybody?

Jus
04-19-2012, 01:42 PM
Those usually come with drive caddies and need to be supported by a disk enclosure. However, fault LEDs are not utilized when you install SATA drives.

vr.
04-19-2012, 05:41 PM
Took a spin around inside the web GUI of 1880IX-24 in a windows environment.... is there a way to spit the raid set, volume set, drive serial numbers, model numbers to a text file without drilling into each individual disk?

Jus
04-19-2012, 05:45 PM
CLI utility could do it for you... You may have it downloaded from Areca ftp server.

vr.
04-19-2012, 10:15 PM
I have a bit of a Twilight Zone moment that is more informational than anything since it doesn't really require an answer specifically but...

I downloaded the CLI from Areca's site. It came down as "V1.9.0_120314.zip" which I didn't pay any attention. I installed that to a non-production Win7 x64 workstation (C:\Program Files (x86)\ARCSAS\CLI) and was trying to run the CLI but this system doesn't have an Areca card in it so the cmd prompt wouldn't open.

I hopped on a production server with an Areca card in it and re-downloaded the CLI which installed to (C:\Program Files (x86)\MRAID\CLI) again didn't pay attention.

Somehow the paths being different triggered in my brain. So I flip back to the Win7 system and re-visit the Areca site and hover over the link and it lists "V1.86_111101.zip"

The different version number has me scratching my head as to where / how I managed to pull different versions visiting the same URL. It lists v1.9.0 dated March 14, 2012 in the CLI if anybody wants it.

mwroobel
04-20-2012, 12:17 AM
The different version number has me scratching my head as to where / how I managed to pull different versions visiting the same URL. It lists v1.9.0 dated March 14, 2012 in the CLI if anybody wants it.

The most likely ways would be either a> you clicked a different link, b> they have a front end load balancer which sent you to a backend with an older file or c> they updated the site between the time you clicked the first link and the second.

vr.
04-20-2012, 12:35 AM
The most likely ways would be either a> you clicked a different link, b> they have a front end load balancer which sent you to a backend with an older file or c> they updated the site between the time you clicked the first link and the second.

They still list v1.8 as the downloadable version. The random 1.9 I pulled is not older.

Rubycon
04-22-2012, 02:11 PM
Those usually come with drive caddies and need to be supported by a disk enclosure. However, fault LEDs are not utilized when you install SATA drives.

Ours work, you need a mobile rack with sideband support. Ipass functionality is the best since it uses one simple connection.

One thing that I've noticed that's strange regarding LED indicators though. Only Intel SSDs will actually fire the activity LEDs. I've tried other SSDs with SF, Indilinx, MCX (Samsung), and Marvell. The Intel 520 which is SF based do work but the LEDs glow steady and blink only when the drive is being accessed. Weird, eh? All other (non Intel brand) SSD have the activity lamps dark. If I use the "identify drive function" in the Areca BIOS it will still flash the respective bay's fault (red) LED though. This does not matter what kind of drive is installed.

mwroobel
04-22-2012, 05:52 PM
Ours work, you need a mobile rack with sideband support. Ipass functionality is the best since it uses one simple connection.

One thing that I've noticed that's strange regarding LED indicators though. Only Intel SSDs will actually fire the activity LEDs. I've tried other SSDs with SF, Indilinx, MCX (Samsung), and Marvell. The Intel 520 which is SF based do work but the LEDs glow steady and blink only when the drive is being accessed. Weird, eh? All other (non Intel brand) SSD have the activity lamps dark. If I use the "identify drive function" in the Areca BIOS it will still flash the respective bay's fault (red) LED though. This does not matter what kind of drive is installed.

The sideband physical interface is SGPIO or I2C (depending on the card some allow a choice of I2C or SGPIO, some dont), which is a physical communications interface. Some enclosures/backplanes support SGPIO/I2C activation of the drive LED with some SATA drives. On top of that is SES-2, which is a logical communications protocol. SES-2 is only available in SAS. SES2 can pass alerts users about usage and drive, temperature and fan failures and allow the controller to activate the relevant activity LED(s).

Zerosum
04-23-2012, 03:53 PM
I have:

I wish I was so lucky. I have nearly the same setup and I cannot get this to work correctly. I've tried using both 1680i and 1880i cards and I cannot get the Areca card to work through either the HP SAS nor Chenbro expanders when attached to my Hitachi 3TB. They (the cards, expanders and drives) work fine when attached to my Samsung 2TBs. So this box currently has 48 2TB Samsungs and 24 (Non-fuctioning) 3TB Hitachis.

Each batch is running off one expander per norco 24 bay chassis. I've just about given up and may just put this hitachis as a seperate stand alone 24 cage box. As I have both a 1680i and 1880i card. I would much perfer a single server solution as it's easier to manage when all my drives are one VM.

mwroobel
04-23-2012, 04:22 PM
I wish I was so lucky. I have nearly the same setup and I cannot get this to work correctly. I've tried using both 1680i and 1880i cards and I cannot get the Areca card to work through either the HP SAS nor Chenbro expanders when attached to my Hitachi 3TB. They (the cards, expanders and drives) work fine when attached to my Samsung 2TBs. So this box currently has 48 2TB Samsungs and 24 (Non-fuctioning) 3TB Hitachis.

Each batch is running off one expander per norco 24 bay chassis. I've just about given up and may just put this hitachis as a seperate stand alone 24 cage box. As I have both a 1680i and 1880i card. I would much perfer a single server solution as it's easier to manage when all my drives are one VM.

I have a few boxes with 1880 and 1882 cards, HP SAS expanders (make sure they are updated) and Hitachi 5K and 7K 3TB drives. Do the drives work if hooked up directly to the card?

Jus
04-23-2012, 04:33 PM
@Zerosum

What kind of problems are you experiencing? Define "cannot get them to work correctly"

houkouonchi
04-24-2012, 12:31 AM
@Zerosum

What kind of problems are you experiencing? Define "cannot get them to work correctly"

I am curious what he means by that too. I am using a ARC-1880x with the HP SAS expander and its been running fine:

root@dekabutsu: 10:30 PM :~# cli64 vsf info
CLI> # Name Raid Name Level Capacity Ch/Id/Lun State
============================================================ ===================
1 WINDOWS VOLUME 40TB RAID SET Raid6 129.0GB 00/00/00 Normal
2 MAC VOLUME 40TB RAID SET Raid6 30.0GB 00/00/01 Normal
3 LINUX VOLUME 40TB RAID SET Raid6 129.0GB 00/00/02 Normal
4 DATA VOLUME 40TB RAID SET Raid6 35712.0GB 00/00/03 Normal
============================================================ ===================
GuiErrMsg<0x00>: Success.

CLI> GuiErrMsg<0x00>: Success.

CLI> # Name Raid Name Level Capacity Ch/Id/Lun State
1 DATA 2 VOLUME 90TB RAID SET Raid6 84000.0GB 00/01/00 Normal

CLI>

root@dekabutsu: 10:30 PM :~# cli64 disk info
CLI> # Ch# ModelName Capacity Usage
1 1 Hitachi HDS722020ALA330 2000.4GB 40TB RAID SET
2 2 Hitachi HDS722020ALA330 2000.4GB 40TB RAID SET
3 3 Hitachi HDS722020ALA330 2000.4GB 40TB RAID SET
4 4 Hitachi HDS722020ALA330 2000.4GB 40TB RAID SET
5 5 Hitachi HDS722020ALA330 2000.4GB 40TB RAID SET
6 6 Hitachi HDS722020ALA330 2000.4GB 40TB RAID SET
7 7 Hitachi HDS722020ALA330 2000.4GB 40TB RAID SET
8 8 Hitachi HDS722020ALA330 2000.4GB 40TB RAID SET
9 9 Hitachi HDS722020ALA330 2000.4GB 40TB RAID SET
10 10 Hitachi HDS722020ALA330 2000.4GB 40TB RAID SET
11 11 Hitachi HDS722020ALA330 2000.4GB 40TB RAID SET
12 12 Hitachi HDS722020ALA330 2000.4GB 40TB RAID SET
13 13 Hitachi HDS722020ALA330 2000.4GB 40TB RAID SET
14 14 Hitachi HDS722020ALA330 2000.4GB 40TB RAID SET
15 15 Hitachi HDS722020ALA330 2000.4GB 40TB RAID SET
16 16 Hitachi HDS722020ALA330 2000.4GB 40TB RAID SET
17 17 Hitachi HDS722020ALA330 2000.4GB 40TB RAID SET
18 18 Hitachi HDS722020ALA330 2000.4GB 40TB RAID SET
19 19 Hitachi HDS722020ALA330 2000.4GB 40TB RAID SET
20 20 Hitachi HDS722020ALA330 2000.4GB 40TB RAID SET
21 21 N.A. 0.0GB N.A.
22 22 N.A. 0.0GB N.A.
23 23 N.A. 0.0GB N.A.
24 24 N.A. 0.0GB N.A.

CLI> GuiErrMsg<0x00>: Success.

CLI> # Enc# Slot# ModelName Capacity Usage
1 01 Slot#1 N.A. 0.0GB N.A.
2 01 Slot#2 N.A. 0.0GB N.A.
3 01 Slot#3 N.A. 0.0GB N.A.
4 01 Slot#4 N.A. 0.0GB N.A.
5 01 Slot#5 N.A. 0.0GB N.A.
6 01 Slot#6 N.A. 0.0GB N.A.
7 01 Slot#7 N.A. 0.0GB N.A.
8 01 Slot#8 N.A. 0.0GB N.A.
9 02 PHY#0 N.A. 0.0GB N.A.
10 02 PHY#1 Hitachi HDS5C3030ALA630 3000.6GB 90TB RAID SET
11 02 PHY#2 Hitachi HDS5C3030ALA630 3000.6GB 90TB RAID SET
12 02 PHY#3 Hitachi HDS5C3030ALA630 3000.6GB 90TB RAID SET
13 02 PHY#4 Hitachi HDS5C3030ALA630 3000.6GB 90TB RAID SET
14 02 PHY#5 Hitachi HDS5C3030ALA630 3000.6GB 90TB RAID SET
15 02 PHY#6 Hitachi HDS5C3030ALA630 3000.6GB 90TB RAID SET
16 02 PHY#7 Hitachi HDS5C3030ALA630 3000.6GB 90TB RAID SET
17 02 PHY#8 Hitachi HDS5C3030ALA630 3000.6GB 90TB RAID SET
18 02 PHY#9 Hitachi HDS5C3030ALA630 3000.6GB 90TB RAID SET
19 02 PHY#10 Hitachi HDS5C3030ALA630 3000.6GB 90TB RAID SET
20 02 PHY#11 Hitachi HDS5C3030ALA630 3000.6GB 90TB RAID SET
21 02 PHY#12 Hitachi HDS5C3030ALA630 3000.6GB 90TB RAID SET
22 02 PHY#13 Hitachi HDS5C3030ALA630 3000.6GB 90TB RAID SET
23 02 PHY#14 Hitachi HDS5C3030ALA630 3000.6GB 90TB RAID SET
24 02 PHY#15 Hitachi HDS5C3030ALA630 3000.6GB 90TB RAID SET
25 02 PHY#16 N.A. 0.0GB N.A.
26 02 PHY#17 N.A. 0.0GB N.A.
27 02 PHY#18 N.A. 0.0GB N.A.
28 02 PHY#19 N.A. 0.0GB N.A.
29 02 PHY#20 N.A. 0.0GB N.A.
30 02 PHY#21 N.A. 0.0GB N.A.
31 02 PHY#22 N.A. 0.0GB N.A.
32 02 PHY#23 N.A. 0.0GB N.A.
33 02 PHY#28 N.A. 0.0GB N.A.
34 02 PHY#29 N.A. 0.0GB N.A.
35 02 PHY#30 N.A. 0.0GB N.A.
36 02 PHY#31 N.A. 0.0GB N.A.
37 02 PHY#32 N.A. 0.0GB N.A.
38 02 PHY#33 N.A. 0.0GB N.A.
39 02 PHY#34 N.A. 0.0GB N.A.
40 02 PHY#35 N.A. 0.0GB N.A.
41 03 PHY#0 N.A. 0.0GB N.A.
42 03 PHY#1 Hitachi HDS5C3030ALA630 3000.6GB 90TB RAID SET
43 03 PHY#2 Hitachi HDS5C3030ALA630 3000.6GB 90TB RAID SET
44 03 PHY#3 Hitachi HDS5C3030ALA630 3000.6GB 90TB RAID SET
45 03 PHY#4 Hitachi HDS5C3030ALA630 3000.6GB 90TB RAID SET
46 03 PHY#5 Hitachi HDS5C3030ALA630 3000.6GB 90TB RAID SET
47 03 PHY#6 Hitachi HDS5C3030ALA630 3000.6GB 90TB RAID SET
48 03 PHY#7 Hitachi HDS5C3030ALA630 3000.6GB 90TB RAID SET
49 03 PHY#8 Hitachi HDS5C3030ALA630 3000.6GB 90TB RAID SET
50 03 PHY#9 Hitachi HDS5C3030ALA630 3000.6GB 90TB RAID SET
51 03 PHY#10 Hitachi HDS5C3030ALA630 3000.6GB 90TB RAID SET
52 03 PHY#11 Hitachi HDS5C3030ALA630 3000.6GB 90TB RAID SET
53 03 PHY#12 Hitachi HDS5C3030ALA630 3000.6GB 90TB RAID SET
54 03 PHY#13 Hitachi HDS5C3030ALA630 3000.6GB 90TB RAID SET
55 03 PHY#14 Hitachi HDS5C3030ALA630 3000.6GB 90TB RAID SET
56 03 PHY#15 Hitachi HDS5C3030ALA630 3000.6GB 90TB RAID SET
57 03 PHY#16 N.A. 0.0GB N.A.
58 03 PHY#17 N.A. 0.0GB N.A.
59 03 PHY#18 N.A. 0.0GB N.A.
60 03 PHY#19 N.A. 0.0GB N.A.
61 03 PHY#20 N.A. 0.0GB N.A.
62 03 PHY#21 N.A. 0.0GB N.A.
63 03 PHY#22 N.A. 0.0GB N.A.
64 03 PHY#23 N.A. 0.0GB N.A.
65 03 PHY#28 N.A. 0.0GB N.A.
66 03 PHY#29 N.A. 0.0GB N.A.
67 03 PHY#30 N.A. 0.0GB N.A.
68 03 PHY#31 N.A. 0.0GB N.A.
69 03 PHY#32 N.A. 0.0GB N.A.
70 03 PHY#33 N.A. 0.0GB N.A.
71 03 PHY#34 N.A. 0.0GB N.A.
72 03 PHY#35 N.A. 0.0GB N.A.

CLI>

The HP sas expander is running firmware 2.08 on mine:

CLI> The Hardware Monitor Information
=====================================================
[Controller H/W Monitor]
CPU Temperature : 50 C
Controller Temp. : 48 C
12V : 12.099 V
5V : 5.080 V
3.3V : 3.328 V
DDR-II +1.8V : 1.840 V
CPU +1.8V : 1.840 V
CPU +1.2V : 1.264 V
CPU +1.0V : 1.056 V
DDR-II +0.9V : 0.912 V
Battery Status : 100%
[Enclosure#1 : ARECA SAS RAID AdapterV1.0]
[Enclosure#2 : HP HP SAS EXP Card 2.08]
[Enclosure#3 : HP HP SAS EXP Card 2.08]
=====================================================

Zerosum
04-24-2012, 12:57 PM
I have a few boxes with 1880 and 1882 cards, HP SAS expanders (make sure they are updated) and Hitachi 5K and 7K 3TB drives. Do the drives work if hooked up directly to the card?

I'll take another look when I get home tonite. This is what I have available:
ARC-1680i and ARC-1880i
2 Chenbro CK23601 SAS expanders
2 HP SAS Expanders
3 Norco 24-Bay chassis
48 2TB Samsung Drives
24 3TB Hitachi Drives.

I've tried different combinations of those products to get each of my 3 chassis working. Still nothing. I do know that my HP SAS are not at the highest version. I have no way of updating them unless I find someone locol or sent them out. (Which I'm willing if anyone has the equipment or happen to be in the Washington DC area). I spent about a week on this as troubleshooting was a big pain.

I'll see what else I can do as right now I'm almost out of space while I have almost 90TB of 'spare' drives not even powered on taunting me.

From memory, I think the HP are running 2.02 and 2.06. I do know they are not at newest. I got them awhile ago. My 1680/1880 are updated tho.

odditory
04-24-2012, 02:35 PM
HP Expander @ 2.02 or 2.06, doesn't really matter and shouldn't be affecting whether or not the 3TB Hitachi's show up, as the items that changed between revs were somewhat HP specific. Personally I've got an 1880i + HP Expander driving my Hitachi 3TB's. If I were you I'd focus on getting the ARC-1880 and HP SAS Expander working together - there should be no problem with any of those drives nor in that combination of hardware. What other variables might you have missed testing/swapping? Also how exactly is each box set up? You mention 3 Norco case's -- does each one have a motherboard or are you using a JBOD power board and some other combo of hardware to run the expander in the empty case? Lastly, how big is the power supply in terms of watts?

ARC-1680 is probably okay but the 1880 is just superior in so many ways especially when driving that many disks so I would back seat the 1680 until you've got everything working with the 1880. And it goes without saying make sure the 1880 is on firmware rev 1.50

Lastly if you want to flash your HP expanders I can probably help you with that but try everything else first.

Jus
04-24-2012, 02:50 PM
@Zerosum

After all is said and done, try swapping the cable which you use to connect Areca card with an expander.
It may be at fault. Also, direct connection between the drives and an Areca controller might shed some light on the problem as well.

Xon
04-26-2012, 01:15 AM
Would anyone have an idea why an Arc-1882i + intel sas expander would be having shockingly slow read speeds off an 8 disk RAID6 2tb Hitachi 7200rpm?

ARC-1680lp (v.149 firmware, aka latest firmware):
http://puu.sh/88bO
ARC-1882i (latest v1.50 firmware, originally shipped with an earlier version of v1.50):
http://puu.sh/88cG

Yes, this is the same array on the exact same setup besides for the sas controller. Just swapping the controller introduces massive differences in performance, for the worse with the 1882i. Areca's support suggest cabling, but there is literially no difference between what works on the 1680 compared to the 1882i.

Drives, cabling, and sas expander hasn't changed. The 1882i isn't reporting any SAS link errors(after running benchmarks), the drives SMART status is fine (looking at the raw values via the 1882i CLI shows good raw values, and all drives have near-identical).

The following don't change anything:

Rebooting.
Swapping the PSU & internal cabling.
Changing Motherboard/chipset (I will try with a supermicro X9SCM-F I've just finished building soon, but I'm not expecting it to help).
PCIe link proclaims it is 8x/5G, moving to a 1*PCIe v1 slot just degrades performance
Trying another intel sas expander.
dual or single link between sas expander & card.
Using a friend's norco-2442's backplane directly attached to the 1882i's ports, swapping between which backplanes are used.
Reflashing the firmware on the areca card.

Fairly sure the card isn't overheating either, as the most I've seen it reach is ~65C during an array build at which point I turned the AC on in the room and which forced the temp down to 45C-50C (yes I'm aware the 1882i runs hot)

All I can think of is that the 1882i has a bad port, which I causes the rest of them to be dragged down. But I'm unsure how to isolate that.

houkouonchi
04-26-2012, 11:39 AM
Definitely weird. With an ARC-1882 I saw excelent performance with the 6 GB SAS expander built into supermicro cases (2GB+ read) 2GB/sec write with 24 disks in raid6.

the drives SMART status is fine (looking at the raw values via the 1882i CLI shows good raw values, and all drives have near-identical).

Heh. I was the one who got areca to do that (completely redo smart support in their CLI so its useful with the raw values (in decimal) and to introduce smartctl support (on linux) on their newer SAS controllers.

Xon
04-26-2012, 06:54 PM
Definitely weird. With an ARC-1882 I saw excelent performance with the 6 GB SAS expander built into supermicro cases (2GB+ read) 2GB/sec write with 24 disks in raid6.
Wierd, is how turning on the disk write cache improves read speeds; http://puu.sh/jgls. I'm probably going to have to RMA the controller, as something is borked with it.

I'm planning on see how an Intel G2 SSD performs on each port in pass-through (or a 1 disk raid0) and see if one of the ports is doing something stupid.

Heh. I was the one who got areca to do that (completely redo smart support in their CLI so its useful with the raw values (in decimal) and to introduce smartctl support (on linux) on their newer SAS controllers.
This was quite handy, as there are a few raw values you don't want to see change at all. Plus it lets you see the cycle & online hours counter.

odditory
04-26-2012, 07:24 PM
@Xon: on the 1882 what have you got under System Information for PCI-E Link Status? Should be "8X/5G"

As to your question about isolating the ports - what you could do is break the array and set the disks to passthrough disks individually, then fire up HDTune and do a quick read-test on each drive for 10 seconds, abort, next drive. That will make sure all the drives are giving you full speed individually. Dont even bother initializing or formatting them NTFS as HDTune's read bench works at the disk level.

Also what motherboard are you using?

ALpHaMoNk
04-26-2012, 11:21 PM
I have been slowly expanding my raid from 5-6 and adding drives, I have to left but wanted to test to see if it took to raid 6 in the starage manager under expand raid set it shows my 11 member disks state is normal and capacity is 22000.0gb
When i go to Modify Volume set it shows me the Mac Cap allowed as 20000.0GB
Volume Cap 14000.0 (where it was at raid5)
raid Level drop down menu still only shows me option for Raid 5
Now I have 2 disks left to expand for a total of 13 disks
I go to expand raid level i am able to select raid 6 stripe size 64KB
Do i need to hit yes on Change the COlume Atribute During Raid Expansion?
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/685938/Raid6_Final2Disks%20%282%29.jpg
I've been taking my time with this expansion and don't want to screw it up and get stuck with on large raid 5
Thanks

Xon
04-27-2012, 08:03 AM
@Xon: on the 1882 what have you got under System Information for PCI-E Link Status? Should be "8X/5G"
Yup.

As to your question about isolating the ports - what you could do is break the array and set the disks to passthrough disks individually, then fire up HDTune and do a quick read-test on each drive for 10 seconds, abort, next drive. That will make sure all the drives are giving you full speed individually. Dont even bother initializing or formatting them NTFS as HDTune's read bench works at the disk level.
I've got 16 2TB 7200rpm Hitachis, in two raid 6 sets of 8 drives each. Both sets have the same massive performance issues regardless if it's a single set attached directly to the controller or both sets via the sas expander (or just 1 set via the sas expander). Even after migrating motherboards.

I've broken up one 8-disk set already, so I'll use those once I can power & connect them back up to try to isolate if it's a particular channel on the controller.

Also what motherboard are you using?
The following cpu/motherboards all have exactly the same, lack of, performance:

Q6600, GA EP45 DQ6 (PCIe link: 8X/5G)
i7-920, GA X58A UD3R (PCIe link: 8X/5G)
Xeon E3-1230, Supermicro X9SCM-F (4th PCIe port, syncs 4X/5G, but exact same performance)

No overclocking, just stock clocks.

BrilliantJim
04-30-2012, 05:54 PM
Hello

I spent some time browsing for a solution but I think I'd be safer asking for specific help.

I've an Areca 1680 in a Mac Pro connected to a Proavio 8 disk enclosure housing 8 Seagate 2TB drives configured as a RAID 6. Drive model is ST32000542AS.

I went to the Mac today and saw that the RAID wasn't mounted. I rebooted the Mac and heard that infernal alarm from the Areca card.

When I fired up the Areca web console (it took many attempts to load that localhost:81 page) I saw that there was no RAID set. I then rebooted again and awaited the alarm. I was not disappointed.

This time I got the console up quicker and saw that there were 3 drives in the RAID set and the other 5 were not. Meanwhile the alarm is still beeping. It stopped after a few minutes (A timeout, perhaps?) I then thought it might be a good idea to try to recover the array using the web interface. (I realise now that might have been a mistake.)

http://s17.postimage.org/pp45n72m7/r_1.gif

http://s7.postimage.org/we3atsfjf/image.gif

After the timeout/ alarm condition clearing I noticed that all drives in all slots appeared to be free.

I checked each and this is typical of the condition of the drives as reported by the Areca console:

http://s17.postimage.org/fvmyae0hr/image.gif

So I powered the whole lot down, reseated the RAID controller, reseated the drives in the JBOB, one by one, rebooted, and got the same symptoms.

I've fired off an email to Areca but in the meantime I hope that one of you kind people might be able to advise me. I also called a data recovery specialist who informed me that it was likely to be a "multiple hard drive failure due to heat" and that it could cost around Ŗ2,500 to repair. Ouch!

Here's hoping some magic commands will bring my drive back to life.

Thanks!

Jim

odditory
04-30-2012, 06:54 PM
BrilliantJim: First step is always to contact Areca support, which you did, because even though there are knowledgeable people on forums and the issue is easily solvable with some help, they need to be harrassed about this particular issue by as many people as possible so that they'll be forced to deal with the root of the problem or put some logic in place that the card more intelligently recovers an array from this issue.

That said its extremely unlikely you lost any data so don't sweat that. This is a fairly common issue - and can be triggered by things like excessive heat such that the controller board on the drive stops responding and the areca controller marks the drive as no longer part of the array. There are a few other scenarios in which I've seen this issue crop up but it shouldn't really happen that often and every Areca owner usually goes through this at least once. On the bright side these controllers are perfect in every other way and I run half a dozen Areca's exclusively. Things to do for now:

1. DO NOT change the order of the drives while the array is in this state. Sometimes people start moving drives around thinking that will accomplish something. Keeping original drive order is very important in case raid metadata (signatures) cannot be recovered and other steps need to be taken to regenerate the array config/meta without compromising the partition data.

2. In all likelihood Areca will email you a list of instructions including one or more keywords to enter into the "Rescue Raid Set" submenu. One of them that you can try for now because it is a read-only operation and will not write any data to the disks is the "RESCUE" command. Enter that and reboot and see if the drives show themselves as being part of the RAID SET instead of marked "Free". If that is successful then one would normally enter the "SIGNAT" command which commits the changes, but I would advise against that until hearing back from Areca. If "RESCUE" doen't work, there are some additional commands available which Areca will instruct you on, and I'd recommend against searching them out on the forum and running them all becaue I've seen people just throw them all at the card not even realizing the impact of each command and I've seen people make matters worse because they're in a panic.

BrilliantJim
04-30-2012, 07:02 PM
Thanks odditory. I'm so grateful for a response. Areca hasn't even acknowledged receipt of my email.

I tried the RESCUE command and when my Mac reboots that's when I see three of the drives identified as part of the RAID set. After a load of beeping eventually the alarm stops and all drives appear "Free." I would imagine this was a time-out.

I'll hang off until I hear back from Taiwan. Do you know if they'll accept a telephone call and understand English?

Thanks again. Much appreciated.

odditory
04-30-2012, 07:20 PM
Yes I was going to mention not to get worried about the lack of response so far given they're in Taiwan. They're not a 24x7 global operation like LSI but on the bright side their code and firmware has always been slightly superior to LSI's - even on cards that use LSI's own chips like the newer 188x series. And the out of band management (web interface, cli) is second to none.

Its 8:20 am over there so I'd expect an answer any time.

vr.
04-30-2012, 07:28 PM
Yes I was going to mention not to get worried about the lack of response so far given they're in Taiwan. They're not a 24x7 global operation like LSI but on the bright side their code and firmware have always been higher performing than LSI's - even on cards where the Areca uses an LSI chip like the 188x series.

Its 8:20 am over there so I'd expect an answer any time.

That's funny to me, I've never gotten a reply with numerous attempts contacting LSI. But I've gotten a reply every single time I've contacted Areca.

BrilliantJim
05-01-2012, 05:06 AM
Two business days have passed now and I am getting a little concerned that my emails are not being picked up.

Can anyone suggest the next step I should take, other than "sit tight?"

Thanks ;)

mikeblas
05-01-2012, 05:08 AM
Restore from backup?

BrilliantJim
05-01-2012, 05:16 AM
Restore from backup?

That's not possible at the moment.

ATWindsor
05-01-2012, 06:02 AM
I have two Areca 1260s today, and I have been pretty satisfied with them (the exception being that if something causes a drive or two to fall out, like for instance a loose power cable, often one drive isn't part of the array, and the array needs to be rebuilt). So my plan is to get a Areca 1882-24 with 4 Gig of RAM (if no one convinces me otherwise, is intels offerings a more solid choice for instance?), have that in my main fileserver, and move the two old 1260s too my backup-server, run them in JBOD-mode, and have some sort of software-RAID there (probably the new win8-thing or ZFS).

But where to buy it? Do anybody have a recommended shop where i can get the 1882 at a reasonable price with 4 Gb preinstalled? And shipped reasonably quick? (I do not live in the US, so it mus hit a 10-day-period when I am staying there at a hotel). I used Flickerdown for my old cards, but they seem to not exsist as a store anymore?

vr.
05-01-2012, 06:33 AM
Two business days have passed now and I am getting a little concerned that my emails are not being picked up.

Can anyone suggest the next step I should take, other than "sit tight?"

Thanks ;)

Confirm what you sent is concise and articulate, no rambling, includes the serial number and was sent to their correct support address. Resend.

mwroobel
05-01-2012, 10:52 AM
I have two Areca 1260s today, and I have been pretty satisfied with them (the exception being that if something causes a drive or two to fall out, like for instance a loose power cable, often one drive isn't part of the array, and the array needs to be rebuilt). So my plan is to get a Areca 1882-24 with 4 Gig of RAM (if no one convinces me otherwise, is intels offerings a more solid choice for instance?), have that in my main fileserver, and move the two old 1260s too my backup-server, run them in JBOD-mode, and have some sort of software-RAID there (probably the new win8-thing or ZFS).

But where to buy it? Do anybody have a recommended shop where i can get the 1882 at a reasonable price with 4 Gb preinstalled? And shipped reasonably quick? (I do not live in the US, so it mus hit a 10-day-period when I am staying there at a hotel). I used Flickerdown for my old cards, but they seem to not exsist as a store anymore?

To save yourself a bit of coin I would suggest buying the 1G version and adding a 4GB supported DIMM yourself, you will save about $200 doing that. As far as where to buy, newegg usually runs a 10-20% off RAID cards every month or so (get on their mailing list) and that usually gives them the lowest prices around.

ATWindsor
05-01-2012, 11:05 AM
To save yourself a bit of coin I would suggest buying the 1G version and adding a 4GB supported DIMM yourself, you will save about $200 doing that. As far as where to buy, newegg usually runs a 10-20% off RAID cards every month or so (get on their mailing list) and that usually gives them the lowest prices around.

Thanks for the tip. However I have no opportunity to wait for something like that, I have to order the last half of may. I visited this page (which seems to be cheaper than newegg, does anyone know anything about this shop?):

http://www.acmemicro.com/listprod.aspx?parent=31

The 4GB-version is about 160 dollars more expensive there. But the savings would be 160$ - Price of compatible EEC-memory. I am not sure if I feel that is worth the hassle.

vr.
05-01-2012, 11:07 AM
Thanks for the tip. However I have no opportunity to wait for something like that, I have to order the last half of may. I visited this page (which seems to be cheaper than newegg, does anyone know anything about this shop?):

http://www.acmemicro.com/listprod.aspx?parent=31

The 4GB-version is about 160 dollars more expensive there. But the savings would be 160$ - Price of compatible EEC-memory. I am not sure if I feel that is worth the hassle.

The company I work at has purchased servers from Acmemicro in the past with good results.

BrilliantJim
05-02-2012, 07:44 AM
Confirm what you sent is concise and articulate, no rambling, includes the serial number and was sent to their correct support address. Resend.

Thanks. I did that. Still no reply after 3 business days.

If I don't hear from them what should I do?

Could I bit copy the data onto new drives and then try some of the techniques alluded to in other posts: Level2... etc?

Thanks again.

Jim

BrilliantJim
05-02-2012, 08:08 AM
Thanks. I did that. Still no reply after 3 business days.

If I don't hear from them what should I do?

Could I bit copy the data onto new drives and then try some of the techniques alluded to in other posts: Level2... etc?

Thanks again.

Jim

Stop press. I got a reply asking me to run the Level2 command and report back to them.

More later...

odditory
05-02-2012, 01:44 PM
Stop press. I got a reply asking me to run the Level2 command and report back to them.

More later...

Yep level 2 rescue is usually the next step and better it comes from them, that way they have no excuse versus if you just found the command on a forum and threw it at the card -- because they've insisted that the lvl2 command is case by case and can make things worse in the wrong situations. But more importantly you keep your options open with them in terms of data recovery help in the rare circumstance all other options had been exhausted.

And if lvl2 rescue fails (meaning corrupt raid metadata on the drives which the card can't use) then 3rd step is usually re-creating the raidset/volume in NO-INIT mode using the exact parameters of the original raidset (drive order, stripe size, etc). But cross that bridge once there.

BrilliantJim
05-02-2012, 06:22 PM
Yep level 2 rescue is usually the next step and better it comes from them, that way they have no excuse versus if you just found the command on a forum and threw it at the card -- because they've insisted that the lvl2 command is case by case and can make things worse in the wrong situations. But more importantly you keep your options open with them in terms of data recovery help in the rare circumstance all other options had been exhausted.

And if lvl2 rescue fails (meaning corrupt raid metadata on the drives which the card can't use) then 3rd step is usually re-creating the raidset/volume in NO-INIT mode using the exact parameters of the original raidset (drive order, stripe size, etc). But cross that bridge once there.

FIXED!

That command did the trick.

Thanks for your help, kind folks of hardforum.com.

All the best :D

odditory
05-02-2012, 06:30 PM
FIXED!

That command did the trick.

Thanks for your help, kind folks of hardforum.com.

All the best :D

Keep an eye on your drive temps in case heat was a factor in the drives falling offline and getting marked out of the array by the controller in the first place.

ATWindsor
05-04-2012, 04:19 PM
The areca 1882-24 has 6 internal ports for 24 ports. But it also has 1 external port. Can i use this external port at the same time as all the internal, so I can have 28 drives without an expander?

Jus
05-06-2012, 12:43 AM
@ATWindsor

Sure! That is why Areca calls these card 12/16/24+4 ports. It was working this way since 1680.

ATWindsor
05-06-2012, 04:53 AM
@ATWindsor

Sure! That is why Areca calls these card 12/16/24+4 ports. It was working this way since 1680.

Ok, thanks for the info, that will be useful.

ALpHaMoNk
05-06-2012, 08:08 PM
@ATWindsor

thanks answered my question too....i alwayed wondered

bart de ruijter
05-12-2012, 02:53 PM
Hey all,

I have the arc 1261ml. That i right now use in combination with hitachi 7k3000 ultrastar disks. But these diaks are so expensive. Would it be possible to expand my array with 7k3000 deskstar disks?

And are the deskstar a lot less reliable than the ultrastar?

English is not my native language. Don't be to hard on me.

mwroobel
05-12-2012, 03:05 PM
Hey all,

I have the arc 1261ml. That i right now use in combination with hitachi 7k3000 ultrastar disks. But these diaks are so expensive. Would it be possible to expand my array with 7k3000 deskstar disks?

And are the deskstar a lot less reliable than the ultrastar?

English is not my native language. Don't be to hard on me.

The ultrastars have a higher reliability against unrecoverable errors (10^15 URE vs 10^14), are made for 24/7 operation and are more efficient (faster) for random access server operation. That being said, you CAN mix them into an existing array, but the array will work to the lowest common denominator so you will lose any seek benefit that the ultrastars offer you. If you create a new array with the deskstars, the existing ultrastars will continue to work as fast as they are now in random seek operations in the array they currently live in.

kennypowers
05-13-2012, 09:20 PM
Hey guys, whats the word on the 5k4000 and 7k4000 drives? Do they play nice with areca? They're not available where i live right now, but for whatever reason the $/GB ratio is better than the 5/7k3000 drives...

I'm in the market for hdd's now and really dont know what to do. Judging by this thread its basically Hitachi or nothing, which in my case really blows since theyre so expensive.

7k3000 2TB $160
5k3000 3TB $320
7k4000 4TB $380

I live in Norway, and this is what i have to deal with. So yea, the 4TB drives, are they fine?

Xon
05-14-2012, 01:32 AM
The ultrastars have a higher reliability against unrecoverable errors (10^15 URE vs 10^14), are made for 24/7 operation and are more efficient (faster) for random access server operation. That being said, you CAN mix them into an existing array, but the array will work to the lowest common denominator so you will lose any seek benefit that the ultrastars offer you. If you create a new array with the deskstars, the existing ultrastars will continue to work as fast as they are now in random seek operations in the array they currently live in.
According to hitachi's spec spreadsheet (http://www.hitachigst.com/internal-drives/desktop/deskstar/deskstar-7k3000), the 7k3000 deskstar is rated for 24x7 avaliability.

Spacedust
05-16-2012, 10:47 AM
Is this a maximum out of 4x A-Data S396 30 GB SSD's (each is 280/250 MB/s) ?

I'm getting poor write speed about 150 MB/s.

http://dodajfotke.pl/images/8n21lwz4.jpg

My settings:

http://dodajfotke.pl/images/wqu0x7eo.jpg
http://dodajfotke.pl/images/eifws0gt.jpg

Blue Fox
05-16-2012, 11:20 AM
750mb/s is about the maximum you'll get out of a 1231ML. If you were expecting better, keep in mind that the card you are using is nearly 6 years old.

Xon
05-16-2012, 12:05 PM
I got around todo'ing this.

Each drive in passthrough mode worked correctly and on-par with a drive handing off the motherboard with which is the same type & firmware.

On 4 disks, I created some RAID6/RAID5 slices which even at 4-10gb took ages to init. and when I tried to delete the volume while it was init. took out the out-of-band management and caused the computer to hang on shutdown. But volumesets already exposed to the host kept working.

When I get a bit more time, I'll double check my results for performance of RAID1+0, RAID5 & RAID6 volume sets. The RAID1+0 looked about right, but RAID5/6 had some horrible performance for read requests between 64kb-1mb in size.

mikeblas
05-16-2012, 04:29 PM
Why would you put SSDs in RAID? You can't TRIM.

ComSpitfire
05-16-2012, 09:32 PM
http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/1268/img1379a.th.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/207/img1379a.jpg/)

Hi guys,
iam reading now a whole hour this thread because, i am looking for a little solution to rescue my degraded raid5 array, a little watercooled home file server with 16x 2TB WD20EARS drives. configured with 2 raid 5 arrays each 8 drives.

i have tried to fix the problem with Kevin Wang from areca .. butt till now now success

some month ago i bootet up mymachine and it tells me a little problem
i checked the LOG and it shows "Incomplete
RAIDDiscovered" but all drives are online and one is marked as "free" with
one reading error. what should i do now. change the drive ? or recover the
raid set. how shold i do this ? wich options i have now ?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
answer from areca:

> Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2011 11:08:33 +0800
>
> Dear Sir/Madam,
>
> you can trying to hot remove the free drive and put it back once to see if
> the array configuration in this drive can be detected.
> if the problem presist, you will needed to activate the incompleted raidset
> to be able to access the volume in this raidset. you can find this feature
> in the raidset function menu.
>
> after activated, the raidset status will become degraded, and you can
> replace the problem drive with a new one and assign new drive as hotspare
> disk for rebuild this degraded array.
>
>
> Best Regards,
>
>
> Kevin Wang
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hello Mr. Wang,

Yesterday i have bootet up the system and i detected last array consitency check was 3 month ago. so if the hot remove dont work i have the option to activate the array and ist degraded, so i would like to copy first the hole data on this degraded array to a other computer. i am a little bit scared to rebuild the array first. if i have a reading errror on a second drivet @ the rebuild session myhole array is lost ?
so i think a better way would be to move as much as i can first to a other system ??

how could i make a "hot remove" could u tell me some more details ? should my system powerd up or powered off, should i go into controller setup screen if i remove the drive or how i must proceed.
i have nothing changed on the array till now. i made one boot into windows and one shutdown. i watched hdd activitiy leds there was no activity till now ( good sign). so my files are untouched on the drives.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sent: Friday, October 28, 2011 4:43 PM
Dear Sir/Madam,

in a degraded arrat, not the hole array lost while reading error occure, only the data belongs to the read error sector will lost.
and backup important data is a good reaction before start rebuilding.

and regarding hot remove, it mean you just pull out the hard drive while system running and put it back after a minute. if your hard drives are not hotswapable, it will be risky and not recommended to do a hot remove on these drives.

Best Regards Kevin Wang
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Saturday, October 29, 2011 8:30 AM
Hello,

i have done your suggestion, i have unplugged the "FREE" marked drive and bootet up the system, the volume was still incomplete ( discovered ) when i plugged the old drive in ( "HOT REMOVE" your suggestion ) the drive was recognized as free the log file said device insertet and two seconds later the log file shows an reading error on the old insertet drive now the hole volume is gone and every drive was assigned to the old volume is shown as "free " ....... now iam not able to rebuild or to restore the volume ... oh oh what have i done. please tell me i have NOT lost 12TB data.

please help

with best regards: xx

LOG:
System Events Information
Time Device Event Type Elapse Time Errors
2011-10-29 02:17:10 IDE Channel 12 Reading Error
2011-10-29 02:17:08 IDE Channel 12 Device Inserted
2011-10-29 02:16:21 Raid Set # 00 Offlined
2011-10-29 02:15:41 Proxy Or Inband HTTP Log In
2011-10-29 02:14:10 Incomplete RAID Discovered
2011-10-29 02:14:10 H/W Monitor Raid Powered On
2011-10-29 02:02:57 Raid Set # 00 Offlined
2011-10-29 02:02:22 Proxy Or Inband HTTP Log In
2011-10-29 01:58:39 Incomplete RAID Discovered
2011-10-29 01:58:38 H/W Monitor Raid Powered On
2011-10-29 01:56:05 Raid Set # 00 Offlined
2011-10-29 01:55:31 RS232 Terminal VT100 Log In
2011-10-29 01:55:14 Incomplete RAID Discovered
2011-10-29 01:55:13 H/W Monitor Raid Powered On
2011-10-29 01:53:52 Raid Set # 00 Offlined
2011-10-29 01:46:07 RS232 Terminal VT100 Log In
2011-10-29 01:45:37 Incomplete RAID Discovered
2011-10-29 01:45:37 IDE Channel 12 Reading Error
2011-10-29 01:45:35 H/W Monitor Raid Powered On
2011-10-29 01:36:55 Incomplete RAID Discovered
2011-10-29 01:36:55 IDE Channel 12 Reading Error
2011-10-29 01:36:52 H/W Monitor Raid Powered On
2011-10-29 01:35:28 Incomplete RAID Discovered
2011-10-29 01:35:28 IDE Channel 12 Reading Error
2011-10-29 01:35:26 H/W Monitor Raid Powered On
2011-10-29 01:34:04 Incomplete RAID Discovered
2011-10-29 01:34:04 IDE Channel 12 Reading Error
2011-10-29 01:34:01 H/W Monitor Raid Powered On
2011-10-28 10:39:23 RS232 Terminal VT100 Log In
2011-10-28 10:30:43 RS232 Terminal VT100 Log In
2011-10-28 10:30:29 Incomplete RAID Discovered
2011-10-28 10:30:29 IDE Channel 12 Reading Error
2011-10-28 10:30:26 H/W Monitor Raid Powered On
2011-10-22 20:45:27 RS232 Terminal VT100 Log In
2011-10-22 20:45:12 Incomplete RAID Discovered
2011-10-22 20:45:12 IDE Channel 12 Reading Error
2011-10-22 20:45:09 H/W Monitor Raid Powered On
2011-10-22 20:41:23 Proxy Or Inband HTTP Log In
2011-10-22 20:39:31 Incomplete RAID Discovered
2011-10-22 20:39:31 IDE Channel 12 Reading Error
2011-10-22 20:39:28 H/W Monitor Raid Powered On
2011-10-22 20:38:42 IDE Channel 12 Reading Error
2011-10-22 20:36:30 Incomplete RAID Discovered
2011-10-22 20:36:30 IDE Channel 12 Reading Error
2011-10-22 20:36:22 H/W Monitor Raid Powered On
2011-10-14 20:24:24 H/W Monitor Raid Powered On
2011-10-11 20:27:10 Proxy Or Inband HTTP Log In
2011-10-09 23:35:03 Proxy Or Inband HTTP Log In
2011-10-09 20:29:20 H/W Monitor Raid Powered On
2011-10-09 20:19:28 Proxy Or Inband HTTP Log In
2011-10-09 19:09:14 H/W Monitor Raid Powered On
2011-10-09 17:15:10 Proxy Or Inband HTTP Log In
2011-10-09 17:07:03 H/W Monitor Raid Powered On
2011-10-02 21:02:11 Proxy Or Inband HTTP Log In
2011-10-02 20:00:16 H/W Monitor Raid Powered On
2011-09-09 21:35:19 H/W Monitor Raid Powered On
2011-09-03 08:54:57 H/W Monitor Raid Powered On
2011-09-01 18:56:02 H/W Monitor Raid Powered On
2011-08-28 18:23:33 H/W Monitor Raid Powered On
2011-08-27 17:16:48 H/W Monitor Raid Powered On
2011-08-24 00:24:12 Proxy Or Inband HTTP Log In
2011-08-23 20:26:21 H/W Monitor Raid Powered On
2011-08-22 20:52:01 H/W Monitor Raid Powered On
2011-08-21 14:42:44 H/W Monitor Raid Powered On

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Date: Wed, 2 Nov 2011 17:08:38 +0800

Dear Sir/Madam,

you will not lost any data in the array as soon as these drives are accessible.

and if the problem presist after you do a hot remove/reinsert on the free drive, you will needed to activate the incompleted raidset to be able to access the volume in this raidset. you can find this feature in the raidset function menu.
but i do not understand why you offline the raidset before test ?
if the array not listed inside, how controller add the drive into the array ?

Best Regards,

Kevin Wang

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Wed, 2 Nov 2011 21:13:10 +0000
Hello Mr. Wang,

1. Thanks for this great personal support
2. i made a little mistake and have forgotten a little piece of the configuration of my controller.

I have a 16port controller with 16 drives each 2tb, i have made 2 raid sets each 8drives in raid 5 with 16tb each volume ( in windows usable space each partition 12TB )

raid set 00 is the good one
raid set 01 is the discovered bad one

to make nothing wrong i have taken the first array offline bevor iam doing something in the server ( if i touch the wrong cable @ raid set 00 or something else this raid set would be also degraded )

tha array was taken more times offline because every time i made a restart it was automatically online ?? iam able to change this ??

so i have taken the first raid set 00 offline and after this i have insertet the drive.

i have also a second controller arc1680ix in a second system and there has been 5 days ago, 8 empty drives same size same model. so i made this "hot remove" test there before. i have pulled out a drive, as my test system with the 1680ix was off ( real off - without power plug ) i powered on the system and got a warning like in my other case with the 1160ml. i bootet up and plugged in the disconected drive. it has worked - operation was successful. so the testet this hot remove on a other system and it was ok.

after this i have testet fully motivated it in my main system with the 1160ml and it has not worked, now every drive from the second array 01 is marked as free :-(

now what should i do for the next step :-)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Helllo Mr. Wang,

could you explain me also the situation why all my drives has been marked as free in 2 seconds after the hot remove ...( hot plug in )

And i have till now no idea how i get my volume online .. all drives are still marked as free ...

Regards: xxx

------------------------------
till now no answer... is anyone able to help me :-(

all drives stil marked as free, nothing have changed in configuration, machine was powered down for 6 month ( have build a whole second machine, also with 16x2tb) ... now i try the step to ask the community

and i think iam the only guy, with a case modded silent server wich is watercooled, havent seen a similiar in this forum.

Spacedust
05-17-2012, 06:54 AM
Why would you put SSDs in RAID? You can't TRIM.

That's not an issue for me. I just need very high speed and IOP's.

mikeblas
05-17-2012, 07:31 AM
That's not an issue for me. I just need very high speed and IOP's.Interesting. How do you avoid the requirement of clean block scavenging? Is your application read-only, or almost read-only?

ComSpitfire
05-17-2012, 07:56 AM
http://img259.imageshack.us/img259/3215/probf.th.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/259/probf.jpg/)

other machine other problem, iam hashing files with 60mb/sek ... dont understand this problem, whole system has get a new setup .. controller with 2gb ecc ram

no encryption no paralell job is working .... ntfs gpt 64K formated

ComSpitfire
05-17-2012, 08:03 AM

mwroobel
05-17-2012, 08:43 AM
http://img259.imageshack.us/img259/3215/probf.th.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/259/probf.jpg/)

other machine other problem, iam hashing files with 60mb/sek ... dont understand this problem, whole system has get a new setup .. controller with 2gb ecc ram

no encryption no paralell job is working .... ntfs gpt 64K formated

What motherboard, which slot is the controller in (and what is in the other slots), OS, firmware revs on the areca card, do you have antivirus enabled, which antivirus? If you increase the sample size from 50MB do the sequential write numbers increase?

mikeblas
05-17-2012, 08:57 AM
Not that it'll matter with Crystal Disk Mark, but why is your queue depth only 32? What is your stripe size? I don't see it in your screen shot; are you doing RAID6 across 8 x 2TB SATA drives? Why do you have disk write cache set to disabled? Do you have a BBU installed and configured, and enabled?

houkouonchi
05-17-2012, 09:57 AM
LOG:
System Events Information
Time Device Event Type Elapse Time Errors
2011-10-29 02:17:10 IDE Channel 12 Reading Error
2011-10-29 02:17:08 IDE Channel 12 Device Inserted
2011-10-29 02:16:21 Raid Set # 00 Offlined
2011-10-29 02:15:41 Proxy Or Inband HTTP Log In
2011-10-29 02:14:10 Incomplete RAID Discovered
2011-10-29 02:14:10 H/W Monitor Raid Powered On
2011-10-29 02:02:57 Raid Set # 00 Offlined
2011-10-29 02:02:22 Proxy Or Inband HTTP Log In
2011-10-29 01:58:39 Incomplete RAID Discovered
2011-10-29 01:58:38 H/W Monitor Raid Powered On
2011-10-29 01:56:05 Raid Set # 00 Offlined
2011-10-29 01:55:31 RS232 Terminal VT100 Log In
2011-10-29 01:55:14 Incomplete RAID Discovered
2011-10-29 01:55:13 H/W Monitor Raid Powered On
2011-10-29 01:53:52 Raid Set # 00 Offlined
2011-10-29 01:46:07 RS232 Terminal VT100 Log In
2011-10-29 01:45:37 Incomplete RAID Discovered
2011-10-29 01:45:37 IDE Channel 12 Reading Error
2011-10-29 01:45:35 H/W Monitor Raid Powered On
2011-10-29 01:36:55 Incomplete RAID Discovered
2011-10-29 01:36:55 IDE Channel 12 Reading Error
2011-10-29 01:36:52 H/W Monitor Raid Powered On
2011-10-29 01:35:28 Incomplete RAID Discovered
2011-10-29 01:35:28 IDE Channel 12 Reading Error
2011-10-29 01:35:26 H/W Monitor Raid Powered On
2011-10-29 01:34:04 Incomplete RAID Discovered
2011-10-29 01:34:04 IDE Channel 12 Reading Error
2011-10-29 01:34:01 H/W Monitor Raid Powered On
2011-10-28 10:39:23 RS232 Terminal VT100 Log In
2011-10-28 10:30:43 RS232 Terminal VT100 Log In
2011-10-28 10:30:29 Incomplete RAID Discovered
2011-10-28 10:30:29 IDE Channel 12 Reading Error
2011-10-28 10:30:26 H/W Monitor Raid Powered On
2011-10-22 20:45:27 RS232 Terminal VT100 Log In
2011-10-22 20:45:12 Incomplete RAID Discovered
2011-10-22 20:45:12 IDE Channel 12 Reading Error
2011-10-22 20:45:09 H/W Monitor Raid Powered On
2011-10-22 20:41:23 Proxy Or Inband HTTP Log In
2011-10-22 20:39:31 Incomplete RAID Discovered
2011-10-22 20:39:31 IDE Channel 12 Reading Error
2011-10-22 20:39:28 H/W Monitor Raid Powered On
2011-10-22 20:38:42 IDE Channel 12 Reading Error
2011-10-22 20:36:30 Incomplete RAID Discovered
2011-10-22 20:36:30 IDE Channel 12 Reading Error
2011-10-22 20:36:22 H/W Monitor Raid Powered On
2011-10-14 20:24:24 H/W Monitor Raid Powered On
2011-10-11 20:27:10 Proxy Or Inband HTTP Log In
2011-10-09 23:35:03 Proxy Or Inband HTTP Log In
2011-10-09 20:29:20 H/W Monitor Raid Powered On
2011-10-09 20:19:28 Proxy Or Inband HTTP Log In
2011-10-09 19:09:14 H/W Monitor Raid Powered On
2011-10-09 17:15:10 Proxy Or Inband HTTP Log In
2011-10-09 17:07:03 H/W Monitor Raid Powered On
2011-10-02 21:02:11 Proxy Or Inband HTTP Log In
2011-10-02 20:00:16 H/W Monitor Raid Powered On
2011-09-09 21:35:19 H/W Monitor Raid Powered On
2011-09-03 08:54:57 H/W Monitor Raid Powered On
2011-09-01 18:56:02 H/W Monitor Raid Powered On
2011-08-28 18:23:33 H/W Monitor Raid Powered On
2011-08-27 17:16:48 H/W Monitor Raid Powered On
2011-08-24 00:24:12 Proxy Or Inband HTTP Log In
2011-08-23 20:26:21 H/W Monitor Raid Powered On
2011-08-22 20:52:01 H/W Monitor Raid Powered On
2011-08-21 14:42:44 H/W Monitor Raid Powered On

Seems like what they told you is correct and you just needed to activate the raid set?

Areca has a nice (IMHO) security feature where if a drive doesn't explicitly fail while running (say is disconnected for some reason while the machine is off) it wont automatically activate (degrading the raidset). As long as you dont see message of a failed array then you are good. The read errors can happen from normal disk access (even during startup) although not a good sign during startup.

Seems like you should have been able to activate the array and be done unless more than 1 drive went away during the powercycle but it appears to me that ur drive 12 died during a reboot/powercycle and its erroring out during raid bootup so should be a matter of just disconnecting it and/or activating the raid set and you should be good (degraded ready to rebuild with a new drive).

Here is an example of output you really dont wanna see:

2011-12-15 07:00:18 H/W MONITOR Raid Powered On
2011-12-15 06:25:03 Enc#1 Slot#4 Device Failed
2011-12-15 06:25:03 Raid Set # 000 RaidSet Degraded
2011-12-15 06:25:01 ARC-1222-VOL#000 Start Rebuilding
2011-12-15 06:25:01 ARC-1222-VOL#001 Stop Rebuilding 315:58:06
2011-12-15 06:25:01 ARC-1222-VOL#001 Volume Failed
2011-12-15 06:25:01 ARC-1222-VOL#000 Volume Degraded
2011-12-15 06:25:00 Enc#1 Slot#4 Reading Error
2011-12-15 06:24:49 Enc#1 Slot#4 Reading Error

Can you get a screenshot of the webinterface?

ComSpitfire
05-17-2012, 09:57 AM
Asus P5WDG2WS Pro
testet controler in both pci-e slots, no diffrece, grapic card is installed @ normal pci slot
no virus scanner
128k @ raid controller and formated with gpt with 64k - both values are the biggest i am able to choose
firmware is the newest one,
other crystal test i will try later
32Q is the biggest value i could choose in the controller menue

ComSpitfire
05-17-2012, 10:01 AM
@ houkouonchi: i have tried a hotplug, pull out drive 12 and push it in, normaly it should rebuild the array or something else, but now a hole array with 8 drives is marked as "free" ...

mwroobel
05-17-2012, 10:27 AM
Asus P5WDG2WS Pro
testet controler in both pci-e slots, no diffrece, grapic card is installed @ normal pci slot
no virus scanner
128k @ raid controller and formated with gpt with 64k - both values are the biggest i am able to choose
firmware is the newest one,
other crystal test i will try later
32Q is the biggest value i could choose in the controller menue

Are you running BIOS 0905 on the asus? I had a problem with a 1231ML on that board some time ago with 0805 and slow writes.

ComSpitfire
05-17-2012, 11:17 AM
yepp newest bios 0905

but wich step i can do as next ia all my array drives marked as "free" try this signat and repair ...or rebuild witouth init ?? something else ...

ComSpitfire
05-17-2012, 12:44 PM
yepp newest bios 0905

but wich step i can do as next ia all my array drives marked as "free" try this signat and repair ...or rebuild witouth init ?? something else ... could someone post optimal RAID 5 settings with a bbu and Large files, Cache. Ncq so on ...

l@@k so unreal

http://img233.imageshack.us/img233/4531/shitu.th.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/233/shitu.jpg/)

YEAHHHHH PROBLEM SOLVED ..... write trough must be set disabled to write back .... i have connected a battery pack but with write trough i get so fucking slow performance ... so i have BBUconnected and write back ... oh perfect :-)

THX

http://img254.imageshack.us/img254/2623/sdvsc.th.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/254/sdvsc.jpg/)

Xon
05-17-2012, 07:47 PM
It looks like the ARC-1882i has a firmware regression for dealing with the older 7k2000 Deskstars (well it's either that or my 1882i is damaged), on the upside the beta firmware shows they are at least working to support 4k physical sector drives. The new options for how the card reacts to SMART failures and drive timeouts is also nice.

Not sure what "Write Same For Initialization" actually is, but I've seen it mentioned in the changelogs before.

it should be a problem on these desktop drives to supporting raid features, we had ever encountered similar issue recently.
you can update controller with attached beta firmware to see if the situation changed.
this beta firmware removed the feature to avoid this kind of issue.
In response to my ARC-1882i management console hardlocking on array initializing hitting 99% and then deleting the volume which requiring a hard reboot to finish the last few percent of a volumn init, and potentially to some horrible read performance issues I've been having.

Not that it'll matter with Crystal Disk Mark, but why is your queue depth only 32? What is your stripe size? I don't see it in your screen shot; are you doing RAID6 across 8 x 2TB SATA drives? Why do you have disk write cache set to disabled? Do you have a BBU installed and configured, and enabled?
There is no BBU, correctly, installed, as otherwise the hardware monitor would be showing a "charged status". Thus the shitty write speed is because the Areca card isn't doing any write caching and the disks have had thier write cache disabled.

vr.
05-25-2012, 02:53 PM
To anyone familiar with the Areca ArcSnmpConf...

Does this Areca provided software utility provide or do anything above and beyond what the Ethernet port SNMP that's included with many of the Areca cards already?

dirtrider
05-26-2012, 04:05 PM
What kind of temps are you guys seeing on the 1882? I have the 1882ix-16 model. My cpu temps are really high. Like 90 degrees even with its integrated fan and large heat sink. This is worse than the 1880ix-16 I used to use that had no fan and had the small heat sinks. Strangely the heat sink doesn't feel very hot at all on the outside. I can rest my finger on it no problem. I have it installed now and don't want to pull it out at the moment but does anyone know if these heat sinks come off easy and if some arctic silver or otherwise is in order? Anyone else have this problem? Right now with a desk fan blowing on it the cpu is at 76 degrees while the controller is at 37 degrees. I know the cpu runs hotter but that much??? Finally, what is the max cpu and controller temp for this card? I think the old one used to be 90 cpu and 70 controller.

Controller Name ARC-1882IX-16
Firmware Version V1.50 2012-02-16
BOOT ROM Version V1.50 2012-02-16
PL Firmware Version 12.0.0.0

mwroobel
05-26-2012, 05:20 PM
What kind of temps are you guys seeing on the 1882? I have the 1882ix-16 model. My cpu temps are really high. Like 90 degrees even with its integrated fan and large heat sink. This is worse than the 1880ix-16 I used to use that had no fan and had the small heat sinks. Strangely the heat sink doesn't feel very hot at all on the outside. I can rest my finger on it no problem. I have it installed now and don't want to pull it out at the moment but does anyone know if these heat sinks come off easy and if some arctic silver or otherwise is in order? Anyone else have this problem? Right now with a desk fan blowing on it the cpu is at 76 degrees while the controller is at 37 degrees. I know the cpu runs hotter but that much??? Finally, what is the max cpu and controller temp for this card? I think the old one used to be 90 cpu and 70 controller.

Controller Name ARC-1882IX-16
Firmware Version V1.50 2012-02-16
BOOT ROM Version V1.50 2012-02-16
PL Firmware Version 12.0.0.0

I just checked an 1882ix-24 at 1.5/1.5/12 firmware. My CPU temp is 50C (122F) and my controller temp is 54C (129F), with little access to the arrray in the past 10 minutes. It is sitting in an HP Proliant server with extremely good cooling (High RPM/CFM fans). (Many of the home servers here will not have this level of cooling so ymmv)

mluters
05-26-2012, 08:11 PM
My 1882IX-12 is running 58C CPU and 38C controller.

TiVoMad
05-28-2012, 02:35 AM
Hi Guys,
Just looking for a little advice. I have an 1880-24ix controller in a Norco clone type chassis (20 drive bays with four drives on each SAS backplane). So, five of the internal ports on the controller are connected via their own SAS cables to the backplanes. The case is fully populated with 20 Samsung HD204UI drives and it is setup as three arrays (one RAID 6 and two RAID 5).

It's all been running fine for just over a year but over the weekend, I started getting alerts that drives were going off-line / being removed and then re-inserted. I then started getting a message that the whole enclosure was going offline and then coming back. Each time I re-started the server, it all came back in normal state and then ran for a few hours before it all happened again. Now however, the controller is not seeing any drives at all and it looks like the internal enclosure I normally see in the config. is missing.

I've tried disconnecting the battery, powering everything off etc but no dice. The drives are all running - I can hear them spin up and head load.

So, do you think that the controller has actually died and I need to RMA or is there anything else I should check ?

Also, I really need to get at the data so I'm considering buying an 1882-24 to use while the other one gets repaired and then I would have a spare in case this happens again. If I did that, can I just drop the 1882-24ix straight in there and it will pick up my RAID configuration from the disks (I think I read somewhere that this would work)?

Any advice appreciated,
Kind Regards.

mwroobel
05-28-2012, 08:26 AM
TivoMad-
When the problem started, was it an entire row of drives (bunches of 4) that started going off in unison? Norcos have had some flakey backplanes over the years. It is possible that the controller has just gone tits up. Do you have a note of the config settings of each of the arrays (which drive belonged to which array, their order in the arrays, the stripe size you used to create the array, etc?) With the proper info (You MUST have the proper raidset/volumeset info or bad things will happen!), you will be able to recreate your arrays with the Rescue, signat and NoInit option. Before you do anything, can you post some screenshots of your areca config screens as well as all your logs so we have a better idea of exactly what happened before we start with how to fix things. As far as boards. yes you can substitute the 1882 for the 1880 to import the raidsets. The obvious next question is do you have a current backup of these arrays? What firmware rev is your 1880 at now?

dirtrider
05-28-2012, 12:45 PM
With my drives spun down and the card doing nothing I'm seeing:
CPU Temperature 94 ēC
Controller Temp. 47 ēC
CPU Fan 3350 RPM

Something looks to be terribly wrong here. I use msi afterburner to monitor gpu temps which are low 60s which is great. Core temp shows CPU is also at low 60s. CPUID hardware monitor shows motherboard temps between 46-64 but there is one temp showing 109 which I think is just a faulty indicator based on the program and my particular board (it does change so it is reading something). The drives are about 40 in the mgmt console and when all accessed for hours during parity creation the hottest ones might hit 50 but nothing more. The case isn't that hot. How in the world is this card at 94 or could it be reporting wrong? (all temps in C)

Interestingly I see no events in the log for over temp and no beeps either. That option is on in the mgmt console.

What are the peak temps for both? Anyone have any ideas on this?

mwroobel
05-28-2012, 01:35 PM
With my drives spun down and the card doing nothing I'm seeing:
CPU Temperature 94 ēC
Controller Temp. 47 ēC
CPU Fan 3350 RPM

Something looks to be terribly wrong here. I use msi afterburner to monitor gpu temps which are low 60s which is great. Core temp shows CPU is also at low 60s. CPUID hardware monitor shows motherboard temps between 46-64 but there is one temp showing 109 which I think is just a faulty indicator based on the program and my particular board (it does change so it is reading something). The drives are about 40 in the mgmt console and when all accessed for hours during parity creation the hottest ones might hit 50 but nothing more. The case isn't that hot. How in the world is this card at 94 or could it be reporting wrong? (all temps in C)

Interestingly I see no events in the log for over temp and no beeps either. That option is on in the mgmt console.

What are the peak temps for both? Anyone have any ideas on this?

I have never seen an areca card hit those CPU temps. I would expect there is something wrong with the card (which could be a thermistor, or something on the CPU is bad and it is doing calcs 24/7 or something happened to the heat sink paste). You are getting these temps through the management console and not some other app, correct? This being the case, and with the other temps in your case within normal margins I would RMA the card.

dirtrider
05-28-2012, 01:40 PM
Correct I am getting those temps through the mgmt console. The thing that really beats me is that the heat sink isn't hot and looks like it is connected just fine.

dirtrider
05-28-2012, 03:12 PM
I took the heat sink off the card to see what's going on. I don't think it makes proper contact. Besides that there are silicone looking waffers to transfer heat to the heat sink and those may well be ineffective and improper size. I took the one off the cpu side and put some arctic silver down and then put the heat sink back on. Made sure it was making contact properly. After 20 min file transfer the temps have stabilized at CPU-77 Controller 46. Still not great but a whole lot better. Anyone else had to tweak their heat sink? What's the word on these silicon wafer looking things? I'd take them all off and use arctic silver but there are some onboard modules that they touch besides the cpu and controller. Also I think the spring tension on the heat sink is too light. Areca just can't seem to get the cooling right on these things. First it was the crappy fans on the old ones. Now they cant set a heat sink and have a rather ineffective one.

mwroobel
05-29-2012, 12:46 AM
I took the heat sink off the card to see what's going on. I don't think it makes proper contact. Besides that there are silicone looking waffers to transfer heat to the heat sink and those may well be ineffective and improper size. I took the one off the cpu side and put some arctic silver down and then put the heat sink back on. Made sure it was making contact properly. After 20 min file transfer the temps have stabilized at CPU-77 Controller 46. Still not great but a whole lot better. Anyone else had to tweak their heat sink? What's the word on these silicon wafer looking things? I'd take them all off and use arctic silver but there are some onboard modules that they touch besides the cpu and controller. Also I think the spring tension on the heat sink is too light. Areca just can't seem to get the cooling right on these things. First it was the crappy fans on the old ones. Now they cant set a heat sink and have a rather ineffective one.

Like I said, you might have a bad card. That doesn't make Areca "not getting cooling right". In any case, just remember if you choose to RMA the card they may be within their rights to kick it back as modified since you changed the heat sink paste.

TiVoMad
05-31-2012, 04:07 PM
TivoMad-
When the problem started, was it an entire row of drives (bunches of 4) that started going off in unison? Norcos have had some flakey backplanes over the years. It is possible that the controller has just gone tits up. Do you have a note of the config settings of each of the arrays (which drive belonged to which array, their order in the arrays, the stripe size you used to create the array, etc?) With the proper info (You MUST have the proper raidset/volumeset info or bad things will happen!), you will be able to recreate your arrays with the Rescue, signat and NoInit option. Before you do anything, can you post some screenshots of your areca config screens as well as all your logs so we have a better idea of exactly what happened before we start with how to fix things. As far as boards. yes you can substitute the 1882 for the 1880 to import the raidsets. The obvious next question is do you have a current backup of these arrays? What firmware rev is your 1880 at now?

Thank you very much for taking the time to reply and my apologies for not getting back sooner. I've been pretty busy setting up a temporary server with our most critical data. When the problem started, the disks were going offline in a completely random fashion across all the backplanes. I have backups in various forms for all the data - only a couple of TB was critical. Yes, I do have all the RAID setup info. but thankfully this time, I don't need it.

I managed to source an 1882 for a really good price and it came today. As you said, it just dropped in and all the data was fine. From what I can see, the on board SAS expander died the death of a thousand nomads - a slow painful one. I received an RMA number and the 1880 is now en-route to Taiwan for analysis.

It's great that the new controller just picked up the config. and all was good although I used to write drivers and firmware for RAID cards so I know it's actually not THAT hard to do (but it's still cool when you see it in action).

Anyways, all good and soon, I will have a spare controller in case this happens again.

Thanks & Kind Regards,
TiVo AKA Trevor.

mwroobel
05-31-2012, 04:44 PM
Tivo-
Glad to hear it all worked out. Areca are very good for accepting arrays card to card, I have had migration success more with Areca than LSI or 3Ware over the years, which is why we use them exclusively when we can use 3rd party controllers. As I mentioned above, it is always a good idea to keep a sketch of your array setups, drive orders, stripe and block size etc in case you ever need to use any of the more advanced reconstruction tools Areca offers in case of a problem where you can't just plug and play a new controller.

WoooT
06-04-2012, 04:15 PM
A while ago people said the Hitachi disks was better with Areca, how is it nowdays... Areca + ST3000DM001

Those seagate drives are almost 30% cheaper that hitachi 3TB

Krobar
06-05-2012, 08:51 AM
A while ago people said the Hitachi disks was better with Areca, how is it nowdays... Areca + ST3000DM001

Probably a 1 year warranty too. :mad:

odditory
06-05-2012, 07:02 PM

"Hitachi disks better with Areca" is an incorrect/vague statement and could be interpreted by some as Areca needing specific drives. Hitachi is/was simply better than anything else in the consumer desktop drive class with hardware raid cards in general.

The 3TB Seagates are also fine -- pretty much anything is fine with an Areca, especially with the new 1.50+ firmware it is the most tolerant and accomodating RAID card I've tested, since its also got drive-specific features and TLER settings.

I wouldn't run anything less than RAID6 with Seagate however.

mwroobel
06-06-2012, 11:04 PM
"Hitachi disks better with Areca" is an incorrect/vague statement and could be interpreted by some as Areca needing specific drives. Hitachi is/was simply better than anything else in the consumer desktop drive class with hardware raid cards in general.

The 3TB Seagates are also fine -- pretty much anything is fine with an Areca, especially with the new 1.50+ firmware it is the most tolerant and accomodating RAID card I've tested, since its also got drive-specific features and TLER settings.

I wouldn't run anything less than RAID6 with Seagate however.

odditory-
We have started looking at the 3 platter/3TB Seagate ST3000DM001 as a cheap backup/replacement for the 5ks. Things have been generally positive except for some "pausing" of transfers coming off the array. The Areca log doesn't show anything, no drivers drop or error out there is just a 10 second pause. I pulled some of the drives off and connected them to a serial/ttl adapter so I could dump the two hour health logs from the drive itself, and also the G/P & Critical logs. The drives seem to be going busy for 10,000ms at random times. TRecal is off and they are well vented. I also tried manually setting continue on error on the drive itself but that didn't make any difference. I have tried it on 1880 and 1882 cards, the 1880 seems to be worse so I wonder if it is an areca issue. We also heard from one of our reps that Toshiba is talking about really ramping up their 3.5" retail/oem drive selection with the production capacity they get from WDC re: the HGST acquisition. Supposed to be 5 year warranties and 10^16 UREs and cheaper than their current enterprise stuff. No time frame was given though.

One thing I just saw, don't know if it is a price error or if they won't honor the price when it comes back in stock... Newegg has a 20 pack of 2TB SAS drives for under a grand at http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822149342

pb12345678
06-10-2012, 06:31 PM
Hi everyone!, I do not speak English very well sorry I'm helped by google ... I have some questions: I have a 1880ix-16 with firmware 1.5. I connected 12 Seagate 7500.11 1.5TB (4 aditional will come Monday)

1) I was surprised to see that the maximum stripe size that I could choose was 128kb! But the card should support 1mb? I read that Areca had disabled the stripe of 256 and more for hard drives that do not support the standard LBA48 (disk larger than 128gb??) ... 1500gb should be supported?

2) I did a test and initialization of a RAID 6 is very long, after 12 hours I was at 50% ... Is this normal?

Thank's for your help
Paul Bernard

Blue Fox
06-10-2012, 06:50 PM
I've not seen any larger stripe sizes past 128kb. Doubt it will really make much of a difference in terms of performance, so I wouldn't worry about it too much. As for it taking 12 hours, that's also normal. Be glad you don't have an older card; those took considerably longer.

mwroobel
06-10-2012, 06:51 PM
I don't have an 1880 with unassigned drives currently available to test, but as per the manual it supports stripe sizes up to 1M. That said, unless you are strictly working with exceptionally large files as a rule and need to move them everytime at maximum speed, you will generally be happier with a smaller stripe size and will not see any difference in the grand scheme of things. It will also minimize wasted stripe space if you have lots of smaller files. Also keep in mind (if you are running windows) that you shouldn't change the cluster size from 512 to 4k, as you will then have a maximum volume size limitation of 16TB. As to why they may have disabled the option in the latest bios I don't know if they did it for a reason. As to LBA48, that is a filesystem limitation and not a hardware issue in a current drive.

As to the init time, did you do a foreground init while in the BIOS, or did you do a background init? If background, did you set the background tast priority to 80% from I believe 20% which is default (In System Controls in the BIOS). As to what to generally expect with times, I just setup a 12 drive 36TB RAID6 with an 1882 connected to a HP expander and using 5K3000 drives. It took 30 hours to complete the init with background set to 80%, so 12 hours for 50% of 18GB isn't that off especially if you are at lower than 80%.

pb12345678
06-10-2012, 07:13 PM
Thank's for quick responses! I did a foreground init for 12 x 1.5TB. This is why I found it slow (my LSI 8888 took 4 hours for 8 x 1.5TB) but if it is in standard with Areca ... I will try with the 128kb stripe when I had my 4 other drives. I'll come back with results in a few days!

thank you

mwroobel
06-10-2012, 08:31 PM
Thank's for quick responses! I did a foreground init for 12 x 1.5TB. This is why I found it slow (my LSI 8888 took 4 hours for 8 x 1.5TB) but if it is in standard with Areca ... I will try with the 128kb stripe when I had my 4 other drives. I'll come back with results in a few days!

thank you

I have never used the 8888 so I don't know if this applies to that card or not, but some of the MegaRaid SAS cards have an option called "Fast Initialize" which can be set on or off. Fast starts the init for a time and then returns control to you so you can start using the array immediately. It then continues the initialization in the background in more of a rebuild scenario where you still have access to however much has completed while it continues in the background (it will be slower at this point because it is essentially a degraded array rebuilding from a set point. It can usually be toggled on or off, or there will be a choice for Fast Init or Slow Init (which does the complete init in the foreground) if it is supported in your card at all.

Faldaani
06-19-2012, 10:22 AM
Have an ARC-1280ML... need some new drives, but unfortunately the Hitachi 5K3000's are out the question... they're either not available or twice as expensive as anything else here in Sweden.

Usage is media storage and RAID-5 or RAID-6.

Have these choices:
WD Caviar Green 2TB - WD20EARX
Seagate Barracuda Green 2TB, 5900 RPM - ST2000DL003
Seagate Barracuda 2TB, 7200 RPM - ST2000DM001
EDIT: Maybe Samsung EcoGreen F4 - HD204UI

Or the 3TB versions of those.
I'd rather have the green drives for less heat and lower RPM's... but previously I know there have been issues with Areca and green drives (or basically all drives except old Seagates..)

Does that still apply?

Which of these drives would be recommended?

odditory
06-19-2012, 08:03 PM
odditory-
We have started looking at the 3 platter/3TB Seagate ST3000DM001 as a cheap backup/replacement for the 5ks. Things have been generally positive except for some "pausing" of transfers coming off the array. The Areca log doesn't show anything, no drivers drop or error out there is just a 10 second pause. I pulled some of the drives off and connected them to a serial/ttl adapter so I could dump the two hour health logs from the drive itself, and also the G/P & Critical logs. The drives seem to be going busy for 10,000ms at random times. TRecal is off and they are well vented. I also tried manually setting continue on error on the drive itself but that didn't make any difference. I have tried it on 1880 and 1882 cards, the 1880 seems to be worse so I wonder if it is an areca issue. We also heard from one of our reps that Toshiba is talking about really ramping up their 3.5" retail/oem drive selection with the production capacity they get from WDC re: the HGST acquisition. Supposed to be 5 year warranties and 10^16 UREs and cheaper than their current enterprise stuff. No time frame was given though.

One thing I just saw, don't know if it is a price error or if they won't honor the price when it comes back in stock... Newegg has a 20 pack of 2TB SAS drives for under a grand at http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1622149342

Yes the 1TB/platter Seagates are what I've been buying as well while waiting for things continue to shake out with HGST/WD and waiting on a spiritual successor to the 5K4000. Have had 8 of the ST3000DM001's in a RAID6 for a few months just to evaluate, no issues but if a clear cut 5K4000 successor does come along they're getting dumped because Seagate continues to be shaky long-term based on the failure rate I see in our data centers. Interesting about Toshiba ramping up 3.5" production, so does that mean Toshiba took over some of Hitachi's fabs? I've heard conflicting stories on who exactly took over those fabs and what they'd be producing going forward, and whether WD or anyone else would continue to produce drives based on Hitachi's former design. But if WD in their probable corporate arrogance really believes their designs & production were superior they're high on a mixture of chemicals and I'll have the privilege of never needing to look at another one of their drives again.

mwroobel
06-19-2012, 10:44 PM
Yes the 1TB/platter Seagates are what I've been buying as well while waiting for things continue to shake out with HGST/WD and waiting on a spiritual successor to the 5K4000. Have had 8 of the ST3000DM001's in a RAID6 for a few months just to evaluate, no issues but if a clear cut 5K4000 successor does come along they're getting dumped because Seagate continues to be shaky long-term based on the failure rate I see in our data centers. Interesting about Toshiba ramping up 3.5" production, so does that mean Toshiba took over some of Hitachi's fabs? I've heard conflicting stories on who exactly took over those fabs and what they'd be producing going forward, and whether WD or anyone else would continue to produce drives based on Hitachi's former design. But if WD in their probable corporate arrogance really believes their designs & production were superior they're high on a mixture of chemicals and I'll have the privilege of never needing to look at another one of their drives again.

Well, we got an answer from Seagate, they got us a engineering firmware which fixed the issues. It only affected a few production lots and Seagate has agreed to replace all our drives with fresh new stock.
As to the WDC stuff, I don't know if the truth is above our reps pay grade, but he has been pretty frank with us in the past and has always been right... Toshiba got all the 3.5" production lines and most of the 3.5" IP that WDC was forced to give up for the sale to go through. WDC got a lot of IP in the purchase and that plus the removal of one of their competitors (a popular one too) was the major thrust behind the purchase. Don't forget that HGST had all the IP that IBM sold over in the first sale, and there is a lot of important patents and tech in there. WDC isn't going to offer a replacement of the 5K3000 and 5K4000 and will just sell remaining product through the channel (3TB seem to be gone now, they are blowing through the remaining 2TB and 1TB). They have segmented their 3.5 into 3 categories... Enterprise, Prosumer and Consumer and already have their own designs and don't really need a 5 platter 5x00 rpm drive right now. The 7K3000 3TB and 4TB may or may not be rebadged at RE drive but no decisions have been made yet. There is still quite a bit of the 7K4000 product left so they don't have to make an immediate decision. Take all this with a grain of salt though, like I said final decisions are made at a much higher pay grade.

bekax5
06-25-2012, 06:53 PM
Hello guys,

could someone tell me where i can buy (online because i cannot find a reseller in Portugal) Areca cards?

I am interested in the:
ARC-1223-8i

Although i would also like this in addition to the first but i cannot find it anywhere:
ARC-1201

Please if possible tell me if it's a trustable store.

Regards.

Blue Fox
06-25-2012, 07:15 PM
I don't keep up with any stores in Portugal, but scan.co.uk/span.com might ship to you? They're really the only large retailers in Europe that I know of. There's a Spanish distributor on Areca's website, but I don't think they exist anymore going by what is on their website. I've also helped a number of people with these things (and SAS expanders). You can send me a PM if you might consider importing one from the US. I really doubt you will be able to find the 1201 anywhere though. They are extremely uncommon and I have yet to see one for sale outside of the random ones that show up on eBay occasionally.

Jus
06-25-2012, 10:25 PM
Email me at admin@tera-sphere.com if you can't find them anywhere else. I could probably help you. Been selling Areca controllers for 7+ years now.

bekax5
06-26-2012, 05:32 AM
Email me at admin@tera-sphere.com if you can't find them anywhere else. I could probably help you. Been selling Areca controllers for 7+ years now.

The email you gave is your direct contact, or i can find someone else reading it ?

By the way, is ArecaDirect or/and ArecaRaid trustable websites ?

Regards.

Jus
06-26-2012, 02:44 PM
The email you gave is your direct contact, or i can find someone else reading it ?

By the way, is ArecaDirect or/and ArecaRaid trustable websites ?

Regards.

Yes, I handle most requests for Areca controllers from that account. Ship worldwide a lot.

bekax5
06-26-2012, 02:49 PM
Yes, I handle most requests for Areca controllers from that account. Ship worldwide a lot.

I'm sorry, i didn't get it.

You mean from which one of those two ?
ArecaDirect ?
or ArecaRaid ?

Regards.

Jus
06-26-2012, 02:56 PM
Those two web sites have nothing to do with me and I have no idea how reliable they are.

mwroobel
06-26-2012, 03:04 PM
You can trust Jus. He has an excellent reputation here and elsewhere.

Jus
06-26-2012, 03:15 PM
@mwroobel

Thank you! Appreciate it!

Copie247
06-26-2012, 07:56 PM
Hi guys,

Is anyone running the Seagate ST3000DM001 on the areca 1680ix-24? trying to find if these drives are compatible with this particular controller.

Cheers

mwroobel
06-26-2012, 08:18 PM
Hi guys,

Is anyone running the Seagate ST3000DM001 on the areca 1680ix-24? trying to find if these drives are compatible with this particular controller.

Cheers

We are running a number of them in test systems on 1880 and 1882 controllers with no problems (running the latest firmware). We have replace all our 1680s so I haven't tested these against that controller. That said, you are talking about an unapproved (QVL) drive so YMMV.