PS3 gameshare thread PT II quoted from the horse's mouth

Sixthsense

I Suck Fat Ones
Oh what is this? is that a playstation domain linking to a customer service database :D
and to quote:
I purchased some downloadable game content on the PLAYSTATION®Network. Part of the product description says the content can be used or downloaded on up to five (5) activated PLAYSTATION®3 system units. What does that mean?

Answer
This means that the content that you purchased may be used by other users on an activated PLAYSTATION®3 system unit after you downloaded the content onto your PLAYSTATION®3 system unit. Some content may require the user to have a PLAYSTATION®Network account, and other content may require you to have additional game content that may be sold separately. For example, you may need to purchase a full game in order to use the character that you purchased on the PLAYSTATION®Network for the game.

Please review the use restrictions associated with the content you purchased. The content may be played up on to 5 activated PLAYSTATION®3 system units at any one time. PLAYSTATION®3 system units may be deactivated so that you can change which PLAYSTATION®3 system units are activated at any time.

But for now, there's no up-front cost to networked gaming on PS3. Microsoft charges a $50 yearly fee to play games over its online service, called Xbox Live.

Tretton doesn't shy away from direct comparisons to Sony's biggest game-industry rival. "We offer everything that Xbox Live does. The big differentiating factor is that we're not charging you" to sign up for the network service, he said.

Sony also plans to offer a wide variety of small downloadable games through a digital delivery service called PlayStation Store. At the Gamers' Day event, there were long lines in front of the playable version of flOw, a slow-paced action title with mellow music and surreal graphics, based on a popular free web game.

Many of the event's attendees noticed that Sony's other downloadable offerings seemed designed to mimic the games on Microsoft's service. Sony's shooter, Blast Factor, bore more than a passing resemblance to Geometry Wars, the best-selling title on Xbox Live.

Sony announced that players who download games from PlayStation's online shop can share them on up to five other PS3 machines.

If a player logs into his PlayStation 3 account on a friend's system, he can download any game he has already purchased. "You can send that content to four other friends for that initial investment," said Tretton. "We want to get the game in as many hands as possible."

And how to trade

Naive hardly :)

to be honest I have done and continue to do this very thing, and there were times that I would question it's legality and if I should continue.

However the last thread being closed was done under normal circumstances as im sure few people know with out a doubt sony's stance and if it was wrong better to be safe as fraud isn't welcomed here.

Anyways it "sounds" like its all clear, but im sure there is room for a more clear pronouncement from Sony.

i'd say trading PSN logins over the internet is not exactly what Sony had in mind with that policy.

i'm surprised you wouldn't have to login as that user again to play them, like on xbox live.

I understand the mod's position on this, if they feel this is against forum rules. I will edit/delete my post. if it's ok with them :) I'll leave it be.

Interesting find. I can't possibly think they had trading logins in mind...but it does seem legit.
I'd love to hear what an official thinks of the practice.

Actually the highlighted green text is a quote from the VP of Sony America Jack Tretton.

Don't know why I did not include this in the first place, but here is the EULA on Tekken DR. Taken from the game itself, I will post a screenshot once I get back from San Diego
"This content can be used by people other then the content owners. However, if all owners are deleted, you will be no longer be able to play the content."

and on the fourth line it has owner: and my PSN alias

Yes, Sony does allow up to 5 Downloads with friends. It isn't illegal.

Good research SixthSense. Great find.

Anyways, you want to trade your games for MKII and Flow? :p

Color me wrong on this one fellas, sorry for killing the first one.

With a forum of this size we just have to side with caution.

Enjoy. :)

You might want to read further into that thread.
So here's the thing that we found out with sharing:

Any number of machines can use one person's PSN ID. BUT, only the first 5 machines to download from a PSN ID can download off of it from then on.

So, every account that 4 people are given to download from can only offer downloads to those same original people. If you shared a game with 4 other people, and then bought a new game and tried to share it with new people it won't let them download.

That is why it's best to set up regular sharing groups. It is not the way I had hoped for the sharing to go but it's the only good way. That way you only have to have one sharing account for every game that comes out.
-Grinchy

This is very cool. I wonder if you can just create a new user with no personal information and exchange that PSN ID for the purpose of sharing games.

If so that would be the best way to go. Its like when you create users for the Japan and UK store and download stuff, you can use it across all your user accounts.

I am down for some sharing, pm me.

I have:
CAC
MK II
Blast Factor

Interested in:
ANY:D

I'm in San Diego I won't be able to create a new PSN account till I get home

Stang lets do this mofo!!!

I have MK2 and Flow...Also have some money in the wallet, so if we want to do this I will pick up the first game that comes out or that we dont currently have.

interesting! good clarification since the other thread was closed. just another plus in the ps3 as far as I am concerned. cheers!

Stang lets do this mofo!!!

I have MK2 and Flow...Also have some money in the wallet, so if we want to do this I will pick up the first game that comes out or that we dont currently have.

cool, lets trade Flow for CAC or Blast....your pic.
I will be working late hours starting tommorow, but I will be off starting next monday, so I don't know, you can pm me and we can work something out...screw it, I will create another user account and when you pm me I can give you mine.

BTW
I can check Hard from work

All I can say.. Is becareful with who you trade with, and to make sure you don't leave your CreditCard information saved. I know they don't show all the #'s... but I would hate for one of you to forget that its in there trade your PSN and then see someone try to add $1000 to your/their wallet. ;)

Back