Two Xboxes behind one Internet connection ?

hboogz

n00b
Hey Everyone..

I'm looking to connect two xboxes behind a WRT54GX2 (dd-wrt is not supported) Each xbox will need to connect to xbox live. I'm helping a friend get his connection going, but never did the setup my self.

Xbox live uses the following ports:

88/udp
3074/tcp/udp

Obviously i can't setup static port forwarding to both ip's -- i'm thinking about using port triggering ? but since both xboxes need to use the same ports -- willl this work ? or should i just enable UPnP and set it to automatic ?

anyone have any ideas ?

Thanks,

Hey Everyone..

I'm looking to connect two xboxes behind a WRT54GX2 (dd-wrt is not supported) Each xbox will need to connect to xbox live. I'm helping a friend get his connection going, but never did the setup my self.

Xbox live uses the following ports:

88/udp
3074/tcp/udp

Obviously i can't setup static port forwarding to both ip's -- i'm thinking about using port triggering ? but since both xboxes need to use the same ports -- willl this work ? or should i just enable UPnP and set it to automatic ?

anyone have any ideas ?

Thanks,

Turn on DMZ for one, and use port forwarding for the other one. Problem solved.

I tried that before, but the connection would intermittently drop --- could it because i had "respond to ping on WAN" disabled ?

Also, i don't want to statically assign an IP to one xbox -- if i wanted to port trigger --- which would be the triggered ports and which would be the forwarded ports ?

why would u need to foward those ports? i play my xbox 360 behind my wrt54g and xbox live works perfectly with no ports fowarded

because i am trying to connect to xbox live from two xboxes behind one internet connection/router

Connect both Xbox's to a switch. Connect switch to modem. Problem solved.

I think you are thinking that they will both appear as one Xbox, and be trying to fight over the ports.

Its not unlike having two PCs using port 80 (HTTP). Same thing. Two nodes need to use the same port.

They invented IP Addresses for this. It IDs each node so it knows who is what.

As long as the Xbox is set with different IP addresses, all you gotta do is plug it in to a switch, and plug that switch into the modem.

It isn't rocket science. Basic networking.

Let me ask you this- how on earth were you trying to connect them to a single modem in the first place? You almost have to have a switch or something.

umm...I think you're flawed with your summary..

multiple computers request port 80 which is a a server port the client port is randomly generated, but if you were try to host two webservers behind your "modem" e.g NAT enabled router than you will need a different http port setup on the second webserver.

When you introduce a xbox into a NAT router ( WRT54GX2) it's recommened, but not required, to setup port forwading for ports 88/udp and 3074/tcp/udp

now if you introduce two xboxes behind one NAT router -- how can you forward these ports to two devices ?

In other words, if you two devices with two different ip's behind one NAT router, how does the router know which device to send the appropriate packet to ?

is this where UPnP comes into play ? or Port triggering ?

multiple computers request port 80 which is a a server port the client port is randomly generated, but if you were try to host two webservers behind your "modem" e.g NAT enabled router than you will need a different http port setup on the second webserver.
Actually you don't. This is the whole reason we have IP and Mac addresses.

if you two devices with two different ip's behind one NAT router, how does the router know which device to send the appropriate packet to ?
IP/Mac addresses. The router keeps tables...

umm...I think you're flawed with your summary..

When you introduce a xbox into a NAT router ( WRT54GX2) it's recommened, but not required, to setup port forwading for ports 88/udp and 3074/tcp/udp

now if you introduce two xboxes behind one NAT router -- how can you forward these ports to two devices ?

In other words, if you two devices with two different ip's behind one NAT router, how does the router know which device to send the appropriate packet to ?

is this where UPnP comes into play ? or Port triggering ?

You cannot connect two pc's to a switch then connect that to a modem unless you have 2 External IP's, and unless you're a business you do not.

There is no other way to do this unless you can:
1. Change the ports on one of the xbox's
2. Port forward one and use dmz for the other

edit: Try to enable uPnP but this may not work.
If nothing works, review this site: http://www.noddegamra.co.uk/xbox360-nat_settings.htm
If none of this works, buy a new router...Linksys WRT54G

You cannot connect two pc's to a switch then connect that to a modem unless you have 2 External IP's, and unless you're a business you do not.
Yea, I'm still assuming he has some sort of router device though.

At any rate, I should have mentioned... you shouldn't have any problems unless you are joining the same game. Will you??? If so, you will have to do as you said, and setup UPnP.

Actually you don't. This is the whole reason we have IP and Mac addresses.

IP/Mac addresses. The router keeps tables...

Lets say a router is port forwarding port 80 to both 192.168.1.100 and 192.168.1.101
Ok, now say a request comes in for your external IP over HTTP on port 80.
The router recieves the request, but then doesn't know who to send it to because there are two seperate place you have marked it to go.

Routers can only send a set of ports to one host.

Just did a bit of searching... what I said is true... You can go out one NAT device just fine with no problems.

Although one thing I did find is outdated firmware can be a problem for some people... might want to check that.

You guys keep forgetting about MAC addresses ;)

By now i would have thought you knew what a WRT54GX2 was. It's a DSL/cable modem router/switch/NAT enabled router device.....

Exactly my point IntelOwnz, but back to my one of my original points --

i have tried to port forward to one address and set the other in the DMZ, with some connection issues when playing in the same GOW game.?

Now, i disabled "block ping on WAN" and will wait to see how that goes.

zacdl: there is no way you can host two webservers behind one Nat router with one external ip and not change the http port on one, except of course if you are doing some front-end http load balancing between webservers.

zacdl: there is no way you can host two webservers behind one Nat router with one external ip and not change the http port on one, except of course if you are doing some front-end http load balancing between webservers.

We aren't talking about webservers here.

with some connection issues when playing in the same GOW game.?
Yea, you need UPnP for that. Are you utilizing Sytem Link at all?

We aren't talking about webservers here.

Yea, you need UPnP for that. Are you utilizing Sytem Link at all?

You can change the port on which a web server reponds to...In IIS it's under Properties and under Apache it's in one of the config files. You made it seem like you cannot do this.

If you are trying to play the same game, good luck, that's going to be tough to get working. Both xbox's are recieving information on the same port, so this may not work at all unless you can get uPnP enabled and hopefully that will fix it.

You cannot call a modem/router combo device a "modem", call it a "modem/router combo device" or at very least call it a "router". I knew what it was, I'm obsessed with Linksys, but people kept saying connect a switch to your modem, good luck with that people!

didn't mean to convey that you "can't" change the port. My point was you can't have two webservers operating on the same http port behind your router.

and i second your strife about ppl misusing/substituting the word "modem"

Hopefully the port forward;dmz;disabling respond on WAN works...:confused:

wut this thread is redicolous, you dont have to forward any ports on your router. I have a wrt54g and i've had 4 xbox's all on live off of one router and i've never forwarded ports on my router. your making this so complicated when it doesnt even have to be.

This thread is pretty funny though. Some people should look up the differences between NAT and PAT.

I have the same hardware as the OP and we have 2 360's here at the house.

NO EXTRA CONFIGURATION is needed. They both work fine.

(assuming you know what you are doing and have them hooked up to a switch with DHCP handing them different IP's)

On some of our Halo 2 nights we had 5 xboxs going strong with no lag on live. 2 where directly on the router while the other 3 where on the switch and we didn't have to configure a thing on the router or the boxes. That was on a dlink 4300 and a netgear giga switch. At my casa I've run three off a belkin router without a problem so my assumption is as long as you have dhcp running you should be fine. My question is have you tried doing nothing special and what results are you getting?

That has been my whole point... You don't have to do anything special to get them to connect.
I think it is being overthought.

for those that have had everything working fine on the same game behind one connection and a couple xboxes -- congrats. I'm just reporting based on experience of playing GOW behind a WRT54GX2. I recommended a compatible broadcom or atheros based router, but my friend decided, in his haste to get up and running, bought whatever was on sale.

FYI - after port forwarding and setting one box in the DMZ and disabling "block ping on WAN" everything is fine now ( no drops, abrupt xbox live sign outs)

As far as the different between NAT and PAT -- why don't you enlighten me, in your own words, without cutting and pasting and without linking me to an article..

Well, I believe what he is refereing to is the strict NAT (one to one external IP to one internal IP) and Port based NAT (one external IP to multiple internal IP). The former is used a lot with firewalls, the other is used with most consumer setups so you don't need to use more then one IP to get a single computer online. with Port based NAT, the system keeps a state table to track outgoing connections to an internal IP so the returning packets can be routed to the correct host.

Back