Altec Lansing FX6021 or FX5021?

giodibe

n00b
Hi guys. I'm new here, my name is Giorgio, I'm from Italy but type from the UK.
I'm going to buy a 2.1 system for my PC. At the beginning I didn't want to spend more than 200-250 $, when I saw Altec FX6021 speakers. Ok, don't get angry. I've already searched this topic into the forum, but the threads I found didn't really explain me why FX6021, which has a smaller sub and is not THX certified, should be better than FX5021 (but it has to be, as it costs 50 $ more).
What do you think about it?
I've already considered Klipsch, but I'm not looking for a system with plenty of bass... the main use will be listening music (not hard or rock...) and watching DVDs, so I think Altec would be more suitable for that kind of usage.

Thanks for any suggestion and Merry Christmas :)

5021 > 6021, no contest. In fact, it's been found by many that the 5021 actually sound better balanced than the Klipsch 2.1 (atleast the satellites are).

Let me know what you decide on. :)

thanks for your reply.
So 5021 is better than 6021 without any doubt? I just thought that the three amplifiers and the InConcert technology let 6021 be the best 2.1 Altec Lansing system. Maybe I was wrong...

giodibe said:
thanks for your reply.
So 5021 is better than 6021 without any doubt? I just thought that the three amplifiers and the InConcert technology let 6021 be the best 2.1 Altec Lansing system. Maybe I was wrong...

Sounds thin... the 6021. The InConcert idea works IF they used decent sized drivers. However, those should be reserved for tweeter use and not midrange or uppermidbass use.

The 5021 pwns it.

ok, thanks a lot.
Just an other question: what do you think of the "THX certified" of 5021? Actually I heard some systems THX certified and they had nothing special...

P.S.
If you know a system which you think is better of 5021, please let me know. Just note that I'm not looking for a system to play disco music with lots of bass... Thanks

The only 1 I know that is better than the 5021 at around the same price range is the Klipsch IFi.

The THX is fine... just because something has it, doesnt mean it's bad.... it means it passed a certain criteria.

Thanks for your replies, but I think I will take FX6021. I've been told and I've read from many reviews that MX5021 are good for music, rock music, and maybe that's it.
FX6021 are much better for movies and music with not so many bass, which is exactly what I'm looking for. It seems like MX5021 have been designed just to play music, when you don't need any sorround sensation, while FX6021 are the opposite extreme, created to provide sorround even with only 2 speakers, and the In-Concert technology should also enhance this feeling. I don't really need a big sub like MX5021 one to shake the floor...

Any good reason to prefer an other system in my case?

Get the 6021 if you believe in that hype...

But either way, you're choosing between 2 good speakers, I'm sure you'll be pleased with whichever you choose.

Yeah I know they are both good systems, but many reviews, almost every reviews, say the MX5021 is designed to play music with bass, nothing else.
What I don't really like of FX6021 is the dimension of the 12 drivers and the depth as well (26 mm / 1") but 2 high speakers like those should spread the sound pretty well.
However, just to make sure, Altec Lansing is probably the best in 2.1 systems designed to watch movies (I know Klipsch is completely different for the bass but I don't care...), isn't it?
I don't want to spend all of my money but I think 200$ is more than enough for a good 2.1 system.
I will never consider brands like Logitech, Creative, Microsoft, Philips... Am I wrong?

There's only one other good 2.1 system I would throw out that I feel would be better than both Altecs, and it is the Klipsch iFi that goes for $400 retail but Klipsch.com is selling them for $179 I think (or less)... which is an awesome deal considering the satellites alone cost $200 retail.

Those are my #1. Then the 5021, then the 6021.

I really dont buy the entire surround hype of the 6021.

Back