Gamespot gives Twilight Princess an 8.8!!

An 8.8 is pretty good still.

They have valid points. It was a gamecube game ported to the Wii which explains why it seems like they just threw in the Wii specific stuff at the end.

Wow, thats pretty low compared to what its getting on game rankings.

I couldn't get the page to load until just now (gamespot's), but come on, it contradicts over a dozen other sources including two major ones (EGM/1up and Gamespy), not to mention IGN's preview impressions. Can someone say "bias"? I thought you could... though this is the same site that gives many good games terrible scores, so who knows ;).

EDIT: They gave EXCITE TRUCK a 6.8, that is utter BS according to my own impressions of playing it on a kiosk and also other reviews from other sitres... I'm thinking toward them being paid off :rolleyes: :p

Damn, I hate it when I see people whining about people at review sites being biased. This review simply means that one guy might not have liked it quite as much as another guy. No review scale is going to be completely equal. A 9.4 might be equal to another person's 8.7.

Plus, it's not like he hates the game: "Twilight Princess is a great game that stays extremely true to the Zelda franchise's past."

randy5554 said:
Damn, I hate it when I see people whining about people at review sites being biased. This review simply means that one guy might not have liked it quite as much as another guy. No review scale is going to be completely equal. A 9.4 might be equal to another person's 8.7.

Plus, it's not like he hates the game: "Twilight Princess is a great game that stays extremely true to the Zelda franchise's past."

Well, maybe if GameSpot's review was a little more aligned with the average, people wouldnt be freaking out. I mean, look at ExciteTruck. GameSpot's 6.8 to IGN's 8.0? Something is a little out of whack here. Those seem like scores that belong to two entirely different games.

A 9.0 on every site isn't the same thing... Gamespot is pretty harsh on games... IGN seems a little too nice...

It seems a very fair assessment... still a very good score...

I highly doubt this game is perfect... the fact that the Wii only does 480p makes this game imperfect from the start. (Don't start an argument over this... After I make sure the Wii doesn't look like crap on my TV and the price drops I'm going to get one and Zelda will prob be the first thing I get).

xerus` said:
Well, maybe if GameSpot's review was a little more aligned with the average, people wouldnt be freaking out. I mean, look at ExciteTruck. GameSpot's 6.8 to IGN's 8.0? Something is a little out of whack here. Those seem like scores that belong to two entirely different games.
1up/EGM gave the nod to Motorstorm over ExciteTruck... I've heard the graphics are very meh and there's a pretty large learning curve on the motion sensing...

http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/933000.asp

Most places gave it ~70

I trust Gamespot's review more than most site/magazine's. I'm happy that they weren't caught in the hype and proceed to give TP a 9.5+ just because it has the word "Zelda" in the title. Most sites, such as IGN, tends to overscore games (9.8 Halo 2 + 9.9 GTA:SA anyone?). 8.8 is still a great score, so it is ignorant to say GS is paid off or biased.

I don't really trust any reviews that give a 10/10 or 100% , and it seems a lot of sites have been giving Zelda that. No game is perfect. Sounds a little too much like fanb0i reviews.

8.8 does seem excessively low, though. For comparison, they gave GoW a 9.6. While I think GoW deserved that score, somehow I doubt the new Zelda could be *that* bad, especially when so many others give rave reviews.

6.8 for excite truck is low, when you played it "at a kiosk"? Have you read the reviews? Its got bad graphics, crappy multiplayer, few additional game modes, and an atrocious soundtrack that makes its custom mp3 capability a necessity, not a feature. Tramua center is more or less a port, doesn't even support widescreen, and most of the dialog is text based. Plus it looks like they implemented half the tools and just made the rest point and click cause they ran out of time.

You're suggestion that these reviewers are "paid off" because they're giving wii games lower scores is laughable. Lets actually *gasp* play these games ourselves before we complain. From what I've been reading, it seems reviews are cutting these games way more slack than they deserve because the controls are interesting. Most games seem unpolished and even the controls are sometimes finnicky. I'll pay $60 for a next gen title anyday over $50 for crap.

I'm still getting my wii sunday but zelda is the only game I'll willfully purchase (wii sports = ripoff).

You guys should not read this trash.
I quit reading the review when I saw he gave the sound a 7.

Zelda music a 7? That reviewer is a moron.

I dont know, Excite truck may be simple and lack menu depth (modes/more multi player) but damn, its easy to pick up and play and hella fun..

I took a friend of mine that was all hard core "PS3 or nothhin" and won him over with a 1/2hr of excite truck 2 player after checking out motorstorm (looks great but feels like its in slow-mo.. 25-30fps)

I have to agree with the comment that no game is perfect which is why I never trust a review that gives a game a 10/10.

8.8 is a great game, there should really not be any fuss with the score. It wont turn off the Zelda fans who are complaining about the score from buying the game.

Just because its got the word Zelda in the title doesn't mean it deserves at least a 9.0

Its not like a disservice is being done, its one mans opinion. A lot of games get inflated scores because of the pre release hype or the franchise name, and this time it didn't.

I hope to not see people claiming the true score for TP is 10/10 or 9.5/10 because thats what other review sites have said. There is no "true score", and you cant just ignore the reviews that don't paint as positive a picture because you don't happen to agree with it.

This thread reeks of !!!!!!...seriously guys, play the game before you knock it getting a score that the site considers "great."

Stop whining about past reviews (Pro Skater 3 was a really good game by the way with an average score right on with TP) and actually read his review.

He knocks TP for some very good points. The music, while nostalgic is dated. Overally the series itself hasn't changed. So sure, it is still a good game but it isn't much different than the other 5 zeldas you have played. The series is evolving enough. Not to mention it is really a GC game that was ported to Wii, so it got some knocks for gimmicky control schemes that were tacked on for the Wii.

Overall the game got a good score, it just didn't do a whole lot new and exciting to push it over the top into the upper echelon. Gears of War while it may simply be "just another shooter" does a lot of the little things that TP doesn't seem to do judging from reviews. GoW creates an experience for the user and is very immersive. The weakness of certain elements in TP, and the staleness of some of it is what hurt the score.

Stop your whining, go play the game and enjoy it. In the end the people who are complaining are going to buy the game anyways, so why complain when somebody actually reviews something for what it is and not for what the name says it is?

VoodooChi|d said:
A 9.0 on every site isn't the same thing... Gamespot is pretty harsh on games... IGN seems a little too nice...

It seems a very fair assessment... still a very good score...

I highly doubt this game is perfect... the fact that the Wii only does 480p makes this game imperfect from the start. (Don't start an argument over this... After I make sure the Wii doesn't look like crap on my TV and the price drops I'm going to get one and Zelda will prob be the first thing I get).

To put things in perspective, Voodoo and I very rarely ever agree on something...but I agree completely with all of this.

An 8.8 isn't a bad score guys.

Music faults shouldn't deduct that much, if anything. This is Zelda we're talking about. ZELDA!!! One of the greatest games of all time PERIOD.

What I wanna know, if this was released back when Ocarina was released, and both were competing against eachother, which would come out on top? (assuming they had equivalent graphics)

Like I said, if this is anything remotely close to Ocarina, then it deserves a 9.5+, because with Ocarina, you can't even put a rating on it, it's "priceless" for lack of a better term.

edit - not that this is a huge deal, I'm just bored.

Oddly Tony Hawk 3 is the 7th highest rated game for the PS2 on GameRankings. Personally I wouldn't p*ss on it if it was on fire but meh, people obviously like it.

Getting back on topic... not every reviewer will like a game and some sites review lower than others. Look at Eurogamer with their 8 for gears and 7 for resistance. I'd personally mark Zelda down pretty heavily on the graphics because they basically didn't even try to upgrade it for the Wii hardware.

Oh, and really, don't quote IGN reviews. You can't spell IGNORANCE without IGN.

[Edit - Another problem. People saying ZOMG THIS IS ZELDA, IT CAN'T GET A BAD REVIEW. Of course it can, classic anything can easily go to hell if the developers get lazy, and no, before I get my head ripped off by a Nintendite that's not what I'm saying here. Please don't expect a game to be perfect just because it's part of a good series.]

LeviathanZERO said:
WOW. :eek: :eek:

That dude just lost alllllllll credibility.
And the same one who wrote this one:

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/action/gearsofwar/review.html
:D

Really, though. I've seen the guy in the On The Spot segments, and he's an absolute retard. Point blank.
While creating his Mii, he chose his Mii to be right-handed, although he's actually left-handed and continued to play left-handed. Needless to say, it didn't work out too well. Smh.

The 8.8 review was really reaching. It's very much a Zelda game, with great non-orchestral music, text dialogue, Gamecube graphics, and Wii controls (that have been well received in almost every other review out there). Yeah, we've known all of that for quite some time and none of them are reasons to mark the game down, espeically not to 8.8. I think the reviewer's mind was made up before he started: "sub 9, no editor's choice."

This guy is an idiot (see the skateboard game review) and he can think whatever he wants, but it looks really bad on GameSpot's part. Most other reviews are saying that the game is on the level of Ocarina of Time and there is no higher praise than that. Some of you can say that 8.8 is a good score, but I look at the list of GameSpot's reviews, and they say that 500 games are better than Twilight Princess and then almost 150 more are as good. No matter how you look at it, that is outright ridiculous.

http://www.gamespot.com/n64/driving/diddykongracing/review.html

Here's more fuel for the fire, another review written by Jeff. I don't know how many of you played this game, but I have VERY fond memories of it, in fact it rivalled and bested Mario Kart 64 in many ways from my perspective. Speaking of which, it appears that Gamespot felt the same way with me there, check out their review of Mario Kart 64.

http://www.gamespot.com/n64/driving/mariokart64/review.html

That's a review that Jeff backs up in his Diddy Kong Racing review with this remark:

"The foul taste left behind by Mario Kart 64 is still too fresh in my mind to accept a game as similar as this, even though this is a much better game than Kart 64 ever was."

Seriously, fuck Gamespot. I stopped caring what they had to think a LONG time ago. Far too often have I seen them rate a game too low or even too high just to seem "edgy" and "against the grain".

For comparison's sake, here's a look at what each of those games scored an average of on gamerankings, with the gamespot outlier included:

Diddy Kong Racing 89%: http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/197118.asp?q=diddy kong racing

Mario Kart 64 85%: http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/197860.asp

If you judge a game by graphics no Wii games can ever get more then what 50 % lol

If you think 8.8 is a bad score you are nuts...

Anything above say 8/10 or 80 % or something. From then on it depends on what the reviewer preferences are if he likes that type of game or not...

What is weird though is when they mention the controller. IGN guy claims the control is much more precise and you never miss a movement and the Gamespot guy is the exactly opposite... Otherwise they are agreeing on just about everything. Crappy midi music and no voice acting...

One thing that sucks is that the speaker on the wii mote seem to be so incredibly crappy... What a waste on such a superior idea...

I figured the rating would be higher but honestly I'm not sure why everyone is up in arms over this...he does have some valid points. Other than the motion sensing really not much has changed in the last several Zelda games. Not that I'm complaining, but it is true.

One gripe I do have with his argument though is over the sound. On one of the other reviews they addressed the reason they stuck with MIDI music instead of a higher quality orchestra sound, the music is dynamic. If will change as you move. From night to day, from safe to battle, the music flows and changes, something you just can't do with an orchestra, and from what I read they did a fantastic job of it. They said they sometimes wished it had been more grandiose but that the effect boosted it a good bit, something this Jeff guy didn't even address. Another thing to think about, he complains about the speaker in the Wiimote being wussy. Well yeah, put a decent one in there and that thing would be double the size and three times as heavy! From what I've heard it's very light, something that I'm sure they took care to design for a purpose!

And why is he surprised about the graphics not being fantastic? Nintendo said YEARS ago when they first introduced the Wii idea that they would not be making a graphical powerhouse but instead something that would bring in an entire new demographic of video game players. Gamespot did a bit on it probably 2 years ago and they had a comparison of the 3 consoles. The new Xbox was something like 27x more powerful than the original. The PS3 was 32x more powerful than the PS2, and the Wii was 3x more powerful than the Gamecube. Reason? Oh yeah, they're not focusing on pure graphical output, they're trying to create an immersing experience!

Still, as stated, he does have a few valid points. Don't be bummed y'all, 8.8 is a great score! Heck, they gave my favorite game of all time, Diablo II, an 8.8 I believe. I'm sure all us Zelda fan boys were expecting something much greater but hey, that is pretty durn good.

And BTW, the excuse "B...B...B...but it's Zelda, they should have rated it higher" is just stupid. If that were the case they could put out a game that was absolute crap and you'd still expect it to do well? Games shouldn't be carried by name recognition. In reality it should have nothing whatsoever to do with how well a game does. There have been other series that have had a "black sheep" game...I'm just happy to see that this one hasn't!

I think the problem everyone is having is that every single other review has gone against what this guy has to say.

He says the singleplayer game takes about 35 hours, whereas one reviewer said it took him 50 or 60, and this guy is the speedrun record holder for Ocarina of time so he knows his way around a Zelda title.

You brought up the music which is a great point, the game has an epic soundtrack that changes dynamically. I've heard a fair portion of the music, and I can tell a lot of effort went into it. It's not a 7/10 in the music department.

All the other reviews say the controls add to the experience, Matt at IGN says it would be impossible to go back and that this method bests the previous control scheme in all respects. He even went so far as to say that analog aiming seems broken compared to the mouselike accuracy of the Wii-mote.

This is just Gamespot crying for attention yet again. "Look at us, we're harder on big name titles, we don't give into hype like all the other guys!". The argument that everyone else gave into the hype and Gamespot is "telling it like it is" doesn't cut the mustard. Not when every other review is a 9.5 or above. Not when at least 10 other reviews go against what this idiot has to say. In fact, the only one giving into the hype is Gamespot, they're just scoring it low because it's been hyped. If this had any other name attached to it I guarantee it would have received a higher score.

Still can't figure out why everyone is referring to it as a "low score."

xerus` said:
What the flying fuck?

...poor Link, Tony Hawk is just far superior in every way compared to him.
When Link can rock a sick 900 on a haggard ass half pipe, you let me know!

:p

LeviathanZERO said:
You guys should not read this trash.
I quit reading the review when I saw he gave the sound a 7.

Zelda music a 7? That reviewer is a moron.

Even IGN who somehow gave it a 9.5 when all of their individual scores were 8.0 and 8.5s for the categories, complained about the music being MIDI and not composed. He said its unacceptable on a next gen system and i agree.

The one thing i am surprised no one has complained about in the reviews that i noticed when given a chance to play was how Link seems to almost ice skate when running. It kind of threw me off watching link and NPCs, horses running on screen because it was not very accurate, they seemed ot be skating a long just a little bit.

ManCannon said:
http://www.gamespot.com/n64/driving/diddykongracing/review.html

Here's more fuel for the fire, another review written by Jeff. I don't know how many of you played this game, but I have VERY fond memories of it, in fact it rivalled and bested Mario Kart 64 in many ways from my perspective. Speaking of which, it appears that Gamespot felt the same way with me there, check out their review of Mario Kart 64.

http://www.gamespot.com/n64/driving/mariokart64/review.html

That's a review that Jeff backs up in his Diddy Kong Racing review with this remark:
"The foul taste left behind by Mario Kart 64 is still too fresh in my mind to accept a game as similar as this, even though this is a much better game than Kart 64 ever was."

Diddy Kong Racing 89%: http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/197118.asp?q=diddy kong racing

Mario Kart 64 85%: http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/197860.asp

Good find guys. This is only more evidence against Jeff's anti-Nintendo stance. Honestly, I don't know anyone who thought Diddy Kong was even remotely similar to MK64--they were two different games.

Mav451 said:
Good find guys. This is only more evidence against Jeff's anti-Nintendo stance. Honestly, I don't know anyone who thought Diddy Kong was even remotely similar to MK64--they were two different games.

Hahahahahahahahha you guys call him anti-nintendo, many of you citing a review written by IGN's Matt Casamassina as an authoritative, "unbiased" source? You gotta be freaking kidding me. He's such a !!!!!! it makes me want to vomit. Anytime I see his name at the top of an article I stop reading. But hey, whatever makes you guys feel better.

Back