[Oblivion] Crashes on 360?

DanMattia

Limp Gawd
Is anyone else seeing Oblivion crash on their 360? Whenever I talk to Arquen of the Dark Brotherhood (after doing all the DB quests), or Dagail of the Mage's Guild (after doing her amulet quest and trying to get a reward), the 360 freezes, then I get a "dirty disc" error. Anyone know what's wrong or if they're experiencing the same thing?

If it wasn't that I had a busted PC when Oblivion came out, I would've had the PC version :-/ Now I don't want to start over again...

I did check the back of my disk, and, being a gamer for 10+ years, I take good care of my CDs and DVDs. The back is really badly scratched, and I don't know how that's possible. Could it possibly be the scratches?

Either way, it's very infuritating, as I can't do a good deal of important quests...

Constantly crashes while loading and sometimes during fighting it freezes...

oh joy

Oblivion has never froze on me ingame at all. Only exception is the with one of the Daedric quest that inovlves the Umbra Sword. This is a problem for almost everyone, both PC & Xbox 360, & its one of the major bugs that will be fixed on the upcoming patch. Besides that one issue, the game has never frozen while playing, exploring, battling, etc.

The game DOES freeze on loading screens. I get anywhere from 1-3 freezes like that per play day so I know that is a common problem as well.

Besides those problems, the game runs perfectly fine. Put nearly 200 hours into it, all guild & just about every side quest is done, & Im am now about to start the Main Quest line. I wanted to do all of the side quest & guild quest first :).

-DarkLegacy

We have a review of the game coming soon but I can say that the Xbox 360 version crashed at least 20 times ONLY WHEN LOADING, which is odd. The PC version we have here crashes more than the Xbox 360 version and it crashes at various times, not just during loading.

A blemish on an otherwise stellar game, here is to hoping the patch gets here soon.

Sometimes on the rare occasion the game will freeze when loading a zone. This is the ONLY time I've had crashing related issues with the game. Mounting horses causes some issues, but I can get around it by quick traveling.

Just adding, my 2 cents. I play the pc version and it only crashes when I am in the surille vineyard outside skingrad.

I have had maybe 3 or 4 crashes during loading (it doesn't crash...but it never loads). This is in about 60-70 hours of play on the 360. Not bad if you ask me.

Allow me to be the pessimist again. I've learned to accept the occasional crash on my PC, since well... you can allow developers some slack due to the 3 zillion different possible combinations of hardware and software. But I find it hard to accept games that crash a lot on a console. One freezeup, maybe 2 I can excuse, but this great game probably should've had a bit more testing before its release... especially the console version with static hardware. A thread like this shouldn't even exist, imo :p

steviep said:
Allow me to be the pessimist again. I've learned to accept the occasional crash on my PC, since well... you can allow developers some slack due to the 3 zillion different possible combinations of hardware and software. But I find it hard to accept games that crash a lot on a console. One freezeup, maybe 2 I can excuse, but this great game probably should've had a bit more testing before its release... especially the console version with static hardware. A thread like this shouldn't even exist, imo :p

I actually agree with you. This game has it's fair share of bugs. I ran into another one yesterday doing another quest and had to reload the game to get all of the scripted events to run properly. It's the quest where you have to get that collector guy through the Nenalata Ayleid ruin. When you reach the throne room, Umbacano get's stuck and won't go sit on the throne if you stand close to him. This has also been the only game i've played so far that has crashed on my X360, with every crash occuring while loading up a new area. Luckily, I always as a habit save my game before entering new area's anyway, and it's only crashed twice in the 103 hours i've played this game so far. Trust me though, these bugs are nothing in comparison to the disaster that MLB 2k6 has been bug wise. Microsoft needs to go bitch-slap those people at 2k Sports for that one.

Well, I fixed the crashing, albeit temporarily.

I went about clearing the cache as some FAQs said, and the game not only loaded a bit quicker, but the crashing was gone in all the spots it used to occur. Regardless, I shouldn't have to be doing this for the game to play right, but I will until a patch's released.

I've had a crash on the load screen. No problems in-game. Thankfully, the frequent auto-saves keep any crashes from becoming huge problems. I hate crashes, but it's not bad enough to keep me from enjoying the game.

-Erwos

Steve said:
We have a review of the game coming soon but I can say that the Xbox 360 version crashed at least 20 times ONLY WHEN LOADING, which is odd. The PC version we have here crashes more than the Xbox 360 version and it crashes at various times, not just during loading.

A blemish on an otherwise stellar game, here is to hoping the patch gets here soon.
It is probably from trying to shove all that data into what the Xbox 360 has avliable.
I have PC version, It crashes..... but autosave is awsome. With the amount that I'm asking my machine to do to run this thing I'm suprised it runs as well as it does.

Back