games for low end laptop

squall78

Limp Gawd
hey there i'm going on a trip to japan. won't be able to go for a while after april because im applying for citizenship. anyway i'd like to know what games i can play on the plane. i like civ type games, i was gonna load up civ3/conquests on this comp. might put starcraft, its the azn in me lol.

the ram is only 256mb, barely enough to run windows xp. i bought this for my mom, so she's content with the memory. but she's been saying its slow so i thought i'd up the memory. i dont think i can do it before i leave.

not a fan of fps, they dont hold my attention for too long. looking for strategy games. thanks.

Don't say another word here until you've bought 2 games out of the heroes of might and magic series.

they are the BEST budget laptop games there are...

Hereoes of Might and Magic 2 - with the expansions, and Heroes of Might and Magic 3 Complete (all expansions)

GREAT GREAT GREAT games - all 2d.

Galactic Civilizations 2 is out, and is a good game. 256 mb meets its minimum requirements, but I would up the memory before playing anything.

im really into japanese rpgs (FF, etc) do you think i'll get into might and magic? unpopular opinion but i found morrowind to be pretty boring. i'll probably give the new one a try when it gets budget though.

galactic civilizations, i've heard about that game. is it similar to civ, except in space? i want to up the memory but like i said its my moms laptop that i bought for her, so i dont know if she wants to do that.

Red Alert 2? Maybe even a release Mech Warrior? :(

You might want to check out the free games thread too.

there is no other game like heroes of might and magic---- so I can't give you a heroes is like.............

make sure and get the heroes of might and magic games and not just the might and magic games.

I've never met a single person who has played the heroes games 1,2, and 3 and doesn't like them. They are turn based strategy - build your kingdom/army conquer the map and they have decent story lines too. I don't like the morrowind type games either. I've never played the FF series because I wasn't a console gamer, but I think you'd be really odd to not absolutely love the Heroes of might and magic games.

Download the heroes 2 game - only 200megs, with 60 minute free trial...if you like it pay 15 bucks and keep it.

At least give it a try...I think it's VERY much worthwile.

http://www.gamershell.com/download_4452.shtml

see if it's something you enjoy.

Consider a snes or PS emulator, especially if you haven't played all the FF games for them yet.

yeah i was gonna load up RA2: with yuris revenge. ah the good ol days when i was yuri and mind controlled a whole buttload of apocalypse tanks, with prisms.

i played all the FFs except for 9, so emu's are out.

i'll have to check out heros, sounds like a great game.

Myth I and II (III is not bad, just didn't have the cool graphical(gorey) cartoon story telling).

Scour the bargain bins for I and II.

Just recently discovered Wesnoth from the free games thread a week or so ago. Not too bad and it seems like there are a ton of extra campaigns. I'm still looking for a comprehensive "crappy laptop friendly" game list too...

BladeVenom said:
Galactic Civilizations 2 is out, and is a good game. 256 mb meets its minimum requirements, but I would up the memory before playing anything.

GC2 is a good game, but I've had a variety of graphical glitches on my Dell laptop that is a couple of years old. The game itself recommends graphics chips with drivers circa 2005+, and mine is from 2004.

Empire Earth, my favorite RTS game, runs on my low-end Celeron-M laptop.

EE would barely run on a 1ghz 512 32mb G card machine of mine. Good luck with that. My vote is for Warcarft 2 / starcraft. Maybe gunbound or rakion for free games. If not just rock some old school games that were good when that machine was in its prime.

Back