Crucial C300 Freeze SOLVED

Sotiri

Limp Gawd
Thanks to Naberius for posting Possible Freez fix . It has solved my 90 second freeze, lock-up, hang, whatever you want to call it.

And major Thanks to Zoork for an excellent find and write up in his post Solution: C300 Disk Freeze-ups in Windows 7 solved for me

My issue, so that others may determine if it applies to them, was:
It seems when I would load a bunch of apps at the same time my system would freeze for around 90 seconds. The mouse cursor moved but none of my commands were executed. Once time expired everything would catch-up. Any apps I clicked or typing performed during the freeze would suddenly take place.

Hope this helps someone else!

I wonder if this applies to Intel SSD? I do get freezes, but they are different. Sudden freeze occurs very randomly, and everything stops and only reset helps it.

are u using any monitoring software? bus level S.M.A.R.T. reads have been known to cause temporary systems freezes. Its an intel bug in the RST software.

Thanks to Naberius for posting Possible Freez fix . It has solved my 90 second freeze, lock-up, hang, whatever you want to call it.

And major Thanks to Zoork for an excellent find and write up in his post Solution: C300 Disk Freeze-ups in Windows 7 solved for me

My issue, so that others may determine if it applies to them, was:
It seems when I would load a bunch of apps at the same time my system would freeze for around 90 seconds. The mouse cursor moved but none of my commands were executed. Once time expired everything would catch-up. Any apps I clicked or typing performed during the freeze would suddenly take place.

Hope this helps someone else!

thank you sir ..this was one of my problems and already post it here with no avail.
http://hardforum.com//showthread.php?t=1594321
I will definitely try this fix,thank you again
best regards
Eric

P.S. please check you PM box

Last edited:
Been testing this fix for about a week now.. solid! Worked on my old p8p67 pro for the few days before I swapped out to my B3 and it is fine with it as well.

No more freezes!

Thanks for the post. I just swapped out my P55A UD3 for an MSI P55 GD65 and started seeing the same freeze for the first time. At least now I know that it's not the board or the new ram. It's time for me to do the same thing with this C300 that I did with my Vertex.

Seriously, fuck these solid state drives. They are way more hassle than they are worth. I would rather just use my F3 spinpoint at least it's a reliable device.

I just installed the OS to my spinpoint, No more freezes! Seriously I'm striking Crucial off my list of companies whos products that I will consider in the future.

Last edited:
Hi everyone. Sorry for my bad english.

I registered because I have one important question, for a last few months I considering to buy my first SSD and I thinking of C300 128 GB because it proved to be very well, even when compared to its successor Crucial m4, C300 is faster in some tests. I waited C400 but now C300 looks as good choice, and it is cheaper.

I have only one drawback when it comes to C300 and that is spooky 0006 firmware that causes this freeze-ups. There is huge topic about problems with 0006 firmware on Crucial forum. It is shame that Crucial did not fix that problem with another firmware.

Anyway, I found very interesting and maybe important information on one another forum, someone wrote

I had C300 installed for a few months on my old P5Q motherboard with no issues, yet as soon as I put it on my new P8P67 Pro motherboard I have severe stutters in browsing and games.

On Crucial forum in thread that you referenced in this topic I found something similar (second post of Zoork):

I have forgot to say, that this issue with the freeze-ups only happened when i connected the C300 to the SATA 6G-Port on Intel P67. When i connect it to 3G-Ports or use the Marvel 6G or use the ICH10R on my second X58 i dont have problems with this kind of freeze-up

Does that means that this problem is chipset dependent?!? If that is the case then this is very important conclusion. I have Asus P5Q Pro motherboard (Sata 2, P45 + ICH10R), that is practicaly the same motherboard as mentioned P5Q, the same chipset.

So my question to you all is this: does this means, for sure, that I would have no problems with C300 and his notorious 0006 firmware? Is it safe for my to buy C300?

Can all of you who have or had C300 tell me what motherboard/chipset you have and did you have problems with C300 in general, and with his 0006 firmware? I would like to see is this problem chipset dependent. Thank you very much for every info you can give me.

I asked the same question on Crucial forum but still no answers.

So my question to you all is this: does this means, for sure, that I would have no problems with C300 and his notorious 0006 firmware? Is it safe for my to buy C300?

Can all of you who have or had C300 tell me what motherboard/chipset you have and did you have problems with C300 in general, and with his 0006 firmware? I would like to see is this problem chipset dependent. Thank you very much for every info you can give me.

I asked the same question on Crucial forum but still no answers.

No guarantees. My only issue was the freezing and after applying these registry keys I couldn't be happier.

I don't believe this issue is isolated to just C300's though since people with other brands are experiencing the same problem and hopefully this fix will work for them.

I have my C300 on the Intel P67 SATA III port and my issue was with the Intel Link Power Management in the Rapid Storage Technology drivers. So obviously this would not affect drives on Marvell controllers since they use their own drivers.

I can only guess why it might not affect drives on SATA II ports. Mine would freeze when given a heavy work load when I expect the load would surpass the 3GB/s threshold. I suspect the low power management of the Intel drivers would cause the hang at high throughput similar to how a CPU crashes at load without enough voltage. It's just a theory, but whatever it is its working now so I'm all good.

I have my C300 on the Intel P67 SATA III port and my issue was with the Intel Link Power Management in the Rapid Storage Technology drivers.
Does this means thay you would not even had this problems that you didn't install RST drivers? I saw on another forum that someone installs that RST drivers but someone don't. I don't know how much is RST drivers beneficent, but from this seems that it is safer not to install them.

But as I have Sata II maybe I would not have these problems even if I install RST drivers. Did you heard that someone had these freezings with Sata II (with or without RST drivers)?

This fix is actually described in an Intel tech manual on RST.

It's the third link down.

The manual is actually a great instruction book on RST and RAID.

Thank you.

But does that means that problem exist only if someone installs RST drivers? And does described fix is the same as deinstalling RST? As I see RST drivers is drivers for Intel motherboar chipset, and not for Intell SSD. So if I buy Crucial C300 I still need to install RST because I have Intel chipset? How much I lose in performance (or anything) if I don't install RST?

But does that means that problem exist only if someone installs RST drivers?
Yes.

And does described fix is the same as deinstalling RST?
No. The fix disables a power management feature of the drivers.

As I see RST drivers is drivers for Intel motherboar chipset, and not for Intell SSD.
I'm kinda lost here. A motherboard with an Intel CPU/chipset can use the Microsoft drivers or the Intel drivers but generally the Intel drivers are faster. It's got nothing to do with the brand of the drives that are connected to it.

How much I lose in performance (or anything) if I don't install RST?
I don't know.

Could someone take a sec and describe their freeze ups?

I'm currently running a pair of OCZ SSDs in RAID-0 using the ICH8R (IIRC, not in front o fthe machine ATM) and I'm having lockups in Win7. They're not really happening while I actively use the machine. But if I leave the machine for a little while and come back to it, I can move the cursor around but nothing clicks/works. Now, eventually, it will "catch up" again, but that can be anywhere from a couple minutes to over half an hour. Usually it's less hassle to simply reboot the system.

Is this the type of behavior that's supposed to be fixed by this registry tweak?

Could someone take a sec and describe their freeze ups?
On Crucial forum in large thead about 0006 firmware many is complaining about pauses (lags) that last about 1-2 seconds, also some performance is lost. I don't know is this "freeze ups" (caused by RST driver) is the same thing as these pauses and lags or it is something completely different. From Crucial forum:

I just registered to tell you that I also have serious pauses or "lags" with the new 0006 firmware.My Crucial RealSSD 64GB came with 0002 and on this fw it worked very nice. Now with 0006 there are serious lags..
I'm now starting to see pauses in everyday use like other users.
Right after the firmware update I had problems with the response of a system, some strange pauses for 1-2 sec.
Last night I couldn't even use email as my SSD kept stuttering. I am now using the new C300 256GB which has 02 firmware with no issues. The 2 with 006 firmware have been removed from my PC and are just sitting there. Clearly there is an issue with 006 firmware. Some people don't have it, but that doesn't mean it's not there.
I've also been getting small freezes and hiccups since 006
Add another victim to the 0006 upgrade. I am having the same stuttering issues, particularly noticeable in Firefox but also in the Win7 desktop and other apps. High latency, decreased system responsiveness. Worked flawlessly until I upgraded to 0006.
Ok, done reading this thread. I should have done that before updating the fw of my C300 256 GB to 0006. So yeah, add me to those poor idiots with the already mentioned stuttering problems. Reminds me of my old IDE drive before it died. My Mainboard: Asus P7P55D-E Pro with the C300 hooked to a Rocket 620 PCI card, using the default MS drivers.

So there is problem even with MS drivers, not only with RTS. At least with this kind of problem.

I really don't know now should I buy C300 :(. I know that not everyone have these problems, but you never know...

I really don't know now should I buy C300

Seriously, quit worrying and just buy it.

I purchased my drive @ 6 months ago and it was already flashed to 0006 firmware.

If it doesn't work send it back.

If it doesn't work send it back.
Of course...but there is a problem with that. There is no C300 where I live so my friend will buy some SSD for me in Vienna and bring it to me on the next visit (probably mid April). So it will not be easy to send it back. I have about two weeks to deside will I go for C300 or something else, maybe C400 or Vertex 3. C300 is still in the game, I realise that minority of users have problems.

SO tempted to skip the Vertex 3/Sandforce stuff and grab to 128gb C300's...
Almost did last night. Just not sure I want to sign on for the myriad of firmware updates and issues that will surely come with the new drives...

I am really excited to retire my Vertex 1 for the new Vertex 3, should be quite a bit faster. BTW, thanks again Brahmzy for your info and pics on the Venomous X I inquired about in another thread. I got my system put together last Thursday and it is working great.

Great news. There will be a new firmware for C300 that addresses and corrects the version 0006 issue. Just anounced on Crucial forum. New firmware will be available in late April 2011.

Yes.

No. The fix disables a power management feature of the drivers.

I'm kinda lost here. A motherboard with an Intel CPU/chipset can use the Microsoft drivers or the Intel drivers but generally the Intel drivers are faster. It's got nothing to do with the brand of the drives that are connected to it.

I don't know.

I did some reading on the Intel Support site. Some folks solved the problem with their Intel SSD's by simply changing their power plan so that it does not put disks to sleep. In fact they could reproduce the freezing by setting the time limit to 3 minutes and waiting 4. I'm guessing this is just another way to get to the solution posted.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe the Intel RST is required for TRIM support and that is really the primary reason for installing it over the Microsoft provided driver.

Gary Key stated a while back, in the BIOS thread that Intel was coming out with new RST drivers, my hope is that they correct this issue.

I did some reading on the Intel Support site. Some folks solved the problem with their Intel SSD's by simply changing their power plan so that it does not put disks to sleep. In fact they could reproduce the freezing by setting the time limit to 3 minutes and waiting 4. I'm guessing this is just another way to get to the solution posted.
Absolutely.

There were always a few ways around the problem but changing the RST's power parameters may be the easiest way for the largest amount of people to do it correctly.

I've never used any power saving features and have always turned them off but there are many different different power saving programs and it's probably easier to modify the RST than to try and explain the multitude of different programs.

Last edited:
i noticed lockups in photoshop when i opened alot of pictures at once.
should i try this fix, or wait for firmware update?

i dont want tweaks inter-mingling with the new firmware and causing more problems later down the road

Windows AHCI diver also support TRIM, as I know.

Thanks for the correction PaladinBL. I'm installing my Sabertooth P67 tomorrow and I'll probably stick with the default drivers provided by Win7 SP1 and upgrade to the new Intel drivers once they're available.

I guess the main reason to use the Intel drivers is for a bit of perf and for the SSD Toolbox.

I don't have the c300 but would like to disable LPM anyway. When I go through the registry tree, I don't see iastor. Instead I see iastorV and no where to be found is the LPM parameters. Does that mean I don't have to worry about LPM?

It's my understanding that, in RST 10, LPM is enabled by default. I believe if you have RST 10 and an SSD you may benefit from adding the keys.

all i know is that since i did the fix (post on first page) i have not a single freeze/delayed boot
BTW raid or not it should't be any different it's just power saving future

Thank you for posting this. I've waited 9 MONTHS for a fix like this to surface. Crucial had no clue and neither did EVGA (who made my mobo). My temp solution was to use the SATA 3Gb rather than the 6Gb port.

i had this same problem on my Vertex 3
the reg fix seems to have resolved the issue

Gary Key stated a while back, in the BIOS thread that Intel was coming out with new RST drivers, my hope is that they correct this issue.
Here's the Intel beta drivers that might be a solution for those that tried the registry trick and it didn't work.

I've installed the drivers but they didn't increase my speeds.

However they may included the registry fix.

AFAIK all Intel did was enable low power mode as a default setting on desktop and laptop chipsets and the manfgs were supposed to choose which setting they wanted.

It was always enabled by default on the mobile chipsets but not on the desktop chipsets.

The registry fix disables low power mode for desktop chipsets.

SSDs don't like being in suspend/idle/time-out modes and I have a feeling that many don't know how to configure their computer so this doesn't happen.

Back